Anyone know how to make bookmarks?

Posted by: DonnaJ

Anyone know how to make bookmarks? - 10/07/05 08:36 AM

I'm part of an Author's Day at a bookstore. There will be about ten children's authors there, and I'd like to have bookmarks to give away. Anyone have any idea on how to make them? I have a laser color printer (that cost an arm and a leg!), so I'm itching to use it to make them if someone can tell me how. Thanks!

Donna
Posted by: Evie

Re: Anyone know how to make bookmarks? - 10/07/05 05:13 PM

Donna
I've made them in Word before, using the Columns feature. I think I got 5 columns to an 8.5X11 sheet printed landscape. You design your bookmark in the first column, then copy and paste it into the rest. A little "picky" but can be done.

Then I got a Mac, and the other night spent half the night trying to design bookmarks in the AppleWorks draw program.

There has to be a better way?????

Re: Anyone know how to make bookmarks? - 10/08/05 03:27 AM

So did you get a heavy duty shiny paper? And then do you have a big paper cutter? Maybe someone has a better idea than booksmarks?

Thanks, Evie!

Donna
Posted by: Evie

Re: Anyone know how to make bookmarks? - 10/08/05 04:42 AM

I did some on photo quality paper, and some on card stock - the card stock ones looked nicer.

I used scissors on some [Smile] and then borrowed the paper cutter at work for the rest - 41 years old and I still can't cut a straight line!
Posted by: Danita

Re: Anyone know how to make bookmarks? - 10/08/05 05:14 AM

What does a straight line look like? LOL! I can't even cut a straight line with a paper cutter!

d.
Posted by: Pam Kimmell

Re: Anyone know how to make bookmarks? - 10/08/05 03:30 PM

I too did mine on my computer on card stock and "borrowed" the papercutter at work to cut them out. I have a writing friend who did hers that way but THEN used a hole punch at the bottom and added a little "tassle" she'd bought in a bulk package at the craft store! Gave the bookmark a little "something different".
Posted by: Sandpiper

Re: Anyone know how to make bookmarks? - 10/10/05 08:29 PM

Hey Donnaj,

You can go to Office Max or Staples and get perforated bookmarks in a package. Look in the Avery products aisle. They come about 50 or 100 per pkg. They have templates you can use at their Avery website (can find info in the pkg) and lets you print up beautiful, cost effective, precut bookmarks.

Best of luck!
Sandpiper

Re: Anyone know how to make bookmarks? - 10/10/05 09:54 PM

We have a brand new Staples in town, so I'll head on over there to check it out.

If that's too expensive, I can borrow the papercutter from church.

Thanks, ladies!

Donna
Posted by: Louisa

Re: Anyone know how to make bookmarks? - 10/12/05 05:49 AM

I bought a box of bookmark stock through (I think it was) Paper Direct. There was about 200 in a box. 5 to a sheet. Not photo paper, but light card stock. Perforated. I designed my bookmarks using the picture on the cover of my book and then one of my poems. Did that in word and copied and pasted it on 5 times. Lining it up is a bitt tricky. But they separate easily and I only paid about $8 for the box.
Louisa

Re: Anyone know how to make bookmarks? - 10/12/05 11:33 PM

Good suggestion. I'll check that out, too. I have two book signings for my children's book next week, so I gotta get the bookmarks and the flyers together before then. Thanks!

Donna
Posted by: Kimberly

Re: Anyone know how to make bookmarks? - 10/12/05 11:47 PM

WOW you already have a lot of suggestions. I make mine with cardstock. Then glue that to heavy cardboard, like a show box or 2 or 3 more layers or cardstock. Then cut with a knife and laminate or coat with Mod Pog on all sides to hold it together. I hope there is a way for you to post a photo!
Kimberly

Re: Anyone know how to make bookmarks? - 10/13/05 12:57 AM

Ok ladies, forgive me. I'm on a roll. J.J. got me started...she THINKS it's all about her...

(but really it's all about ME ME ME ME ME!)

Ahem,

Here is the simplest way to make a bookmark (and I AM a professional).....

You don't need cardboard, or pre-cut bookmarks- or glue.... a 2 yr old can do this......

Turn, and press down, the corner of the page in the book or books you are reading.

The end.

Danita
quick thinker (or stinker?)

Re: Anyone know how to make bookmarks? - 10/13/05 01:24 AM

Oh, Danita, that's a stinker, and so are YOU! [Big Grin]

LOL! Got me!

Donna

Re: Anyone know how to make bookmarks? - 10/13/05 06:57 AM

Thank you very much. I made my night!

ROTFPMP,