Sher is the new Martha.

Posted by: Sher

Sher is the new Martha. - 11/18/04 07:28 PM

I am soooooo patting myself on the back today. I am the craftiest of the crafty. [Big Grin]

I am making scented wax-coated teddy bears for Christmas gifts, along with "fake" apple pies.

You may now worship me as a domestic goddess.

My sister brought me a teddy bear (my nickname is Bear, btw) from NC that had been dipped in heavily scented wax. Smells like a big birthday cake. Anyway, I got to thinking that I could do that. I snagged some bears, some scent and some wax and away I went.

I also saw some of those potpourri pies at a craft fair and decided I could do that, too. I made some salt dough and baked one yesterday.

I'm going to the city this weekend to get some candle scent so that I can make some more bears. I'm thinking I may put some in a couple beauty shops around town and possibly generate some extra cash as well.

Who can top me? What crafty thing have you done lately???

Anyone? Anyone?
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Sher is the new Martha. - 11/18/04 07:38 PM

Gee...not me. The only thing I've made was some Snowman's Poop.

JJ
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Sher is the new Martha. - 11/18/04 09:26 PM

Sher, you keep letting those creative juices flow! Sorry, no competition here. Ask Maggie! I bet she'll give you a run for your money.

Jawjaw, you're talking mini marshmallows, aren't you? [Big Grin]
Posted by: TVC15

Re: Sher is the new Martha. - 11/18/04 09:44 PM

Good luck on the new project Sher. They sound adorable! Lately the only thing I'm being crafty with is my writing. Trying a few different directions and not getting anywhere fast, but you all know how that goes!
Posted by: Dianne

Re: Sher is the new Martha. - 11/18/04 10:06 PM

Craft projects? Me? You gotta be kidding.

I can't picture what these wax bears would look like. Is there a website or something that shows them? This will drive me nuts until I see one.

My real pies always come out tasting like potpourri pies. Can't master them.
Posted by: Maggie

Re: Sher is the new Martha. - 11/19/04 06:31 AM

Sher,
That sounds like so much fun and I bet you will do well on them. Love the bears and bet the pies smell luscious.
Dotsie, will have to think about this one for a while. Stil doing the handmade paper and having fun with it. Will be demoing at a bazaar this weekend Stamping. They love to watch the heat tool melt the embossing powders.
Congratulations Sher on being the new Martha.
Thanks,
Maggie

Re: Sher is the new Martha. - 11/19/04 04:19 PM

Dianne..... I'm genuinely sorry for your lack of pie baking ability. [Smile] Surely they're not as bad tasting as my potpourri ones.

The bears just look like bears.... except you pick the wax when you dip them so their hair stands out in little prickly pieces. I just love them. They're cute as heck and they smell so great.

If you guys knew how crafts challenged I truly am, you'd understand my unbelievable joy at actually producing something that's cute. The bad thing is that my OCD kicks in from time to time when I'm crafting and I go overboard. I noticed last night that my husband and my Yorkie would look really cute dipped in scented wax with pretty bows around their necks. [Big Grin]

Re: Sher is the new Martha. - 11/19/04 09:15 PM

Oh Dear Sher,
Your last sentence just proved you are a true crafter. "I noticed last night that my husband and my yorkie would look really cute dipped in scented wax and with pretty bows around their necks."
Whenever your ready to decorate your family that's a sign of a true crafter. LOL
Maggie

Re: Sher is the new Martha. - 11/21/04 07:18 PM

Sher, while Christmas shopping yesterday I saw your pies and thought of you immediately. They looked cute and smelled wonderful.
Posted by: Mixedmetaphors

Re: Sher is the new Martha. - 11/23/04 09:43 AM

Reluctantly perpetuating my "What [Roll Eyes] image":
Always artsy-fartsy, I saw doggie chew toys, approx. 3.5" X 1.5" rawhide, that were made like mocassins. Grabbed them up,'cause they cried, "save me"! Save Me"!. First thought naturally was dress up somehow as Christmas ornament. Lightbulb! Bead them. Art object?
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Sher is the new Martha. - 11/23/04 02:44 PM

Good idea MixM...actually, I do know some people who put up small trees in different rooms in their house and you could do that and decorate one for your pet. Like take small rubber toys like you've described and hang them all over the tree. The star at the top could be a Rawhide bone. (Those who have dogs know what these are)

Keep those ideas coming!

JJ

Re: Sher is the new Martha. - 12/03/04 07:09 PM

Hi,
This is a Prayer request. I didn't want to disturb the other one so am putting it here.
Would you please pray that our bazaar goes well this Saturday. We've worked all year on stuff and it is fun.
Some of the funds are used to help those in need and this year there is a lot of that in our area. Our minister is very good at this and people stop by to see him a lot. I've found they also watch out for our Church now which is neat too. Thanks already for all your prayers
Maggie
Posted by: lionspaaw

Re: Sher is the new Martha. - 12/04/04 06:20 AM

here's one BIG PRAYER for your bazaar---

my mom and i used to do the craft fairs all the time -- it was such a nice way to meet people and get "crafty ideas" -- so i hope tomorrow is successful AND fun !!!

GOOD LUCK !!!! [Smile]
Posted by: lionspaaw

Re: Sher is the new Martha. - 12/04/04 06:24 AM

Sher -

I was raised by a mother that would put Martha to shame -- there wasn't (isn't) anything she can't do -- you name it -- she perfected it -------

when i finally showed a weeeeee bit of crafty talent ------ i wanted to shout if from the mountain tops (too bad i live in florida [Smile] )

soooooo -- here's a HOOORRAAAYYY !!!! for Sher

and i'm here to tell ya -- it only gets better from now on [Big Grin]

carolyn

Re: Sher is the new Martha. - 12/05/04 08:40 AM

I'm covering you girlfriend. Right this very minute while you're there! can't wait to hear about it. [Big Grin]

Re: Sher is the new Martha. - 12/05/04 08:54 AM

How did the bazaar go, Maggie?

Re: Sher is the new Martha. - 12/05/04 06:57 PM

Lionspaw,Dotsie and Sher,
Thanks for the prayers and anyone else. The bazaar was a succes. There are lots of bazaars this weekend so a lot of people hit them all.
A lot of gifts and food sold. People came back to have our Taco Soup and Sticky Buns.
Today we sell stuff to the people in church who couldn't make it yesterday. Everyone in the Church works on this. Some of the men work in the kitchen or help put out signs. It always comes to gether at the last minute.
Have to run as I'm helping with an art project today for Sunday School.
Lion, I would love to hear more about the bazaars that you did. Where did you do them? What sold for you? As I remember you sold or sell yarns on a website. Correct?
Thanks again
Maggie