Knit or Crochet Breast Prosthesis

Posted by: Sandy N.

Knit or Crochet Breast Prosthesis - 04/18/11 11:57 PM

A friend sent me a link to a news story about a group of women who knit prostheses for mastectomy patients. This is such a great idea! Here's a link to the story:
Breast Prothesis Knitters
Here's a link to more information, including instructions for both knit and crocheted prostheses:
Instructions
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: Knit or Crochet Breast Prosthesis - 04/20/11 06:11 PM

Who woulda thunk of that! Thanks for sharing, Sandy. I believe my mind is boggled by the concept of a hand-knit breast prosthesis, but in a good way...
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: Knit or Crochet Breast Prosthesis - 04/21/11 07:52 AM

Many years ago when I was a young wife my older neighbour taught me a similar idea..
her husband had a hernia and she had crocheted him a support truss.Often I saw this "interesting" item on her drying line not realising what it could be.Their doctor had thought it a remarable idea when he had examined her husband for an unrelated complaint..Perhaps she should have patened her creation...
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Knit or Crochet Breast Prosthesis - 05/06/11 01:34 AM

I would like to see one of these crocheted breasts. I crochet but haven't a clue how to do that.
Posted by: Sandy N.

Re: Knit or Crochet Breast Prosthesis - 05/06/11 05:12 AM

Chatty, you'll find links to both knit and crochet instructions here: http://www.yorkshireyarns.com/ ("Knitty Titty Committee")