Seeking ideas for art display

Posted by: Di

Seeking ideas for art display - 03/26/09 04:45 PM

A local art gallery will be doing an "Ancient Ones" exhibit in May and would like us to enter our Mimbres Ancient Art Soap line for their committee to vote on. They are replicas of the designs of the ancient Mimbres (Indians) pottery that is thousands of years old.

However, they want me to create a backdrop/display using the soaps. (See them on our front page of Our website : Quail, Rabbit, Turtle, Thunderbird)

If anyone can envision what I might do, please help!
Posted by: chickadee

Re: Seeking ideas for art display - 03/26/09 05:18 PM

Dee I don't know if you could print these petroglyphs and put them on posterboard. Maybe a short history included.

http://www.mimbrenos.com/Assets/images/Petroglyphs.htm

Or perhaps a map

http://www.cwu.edu/~geograph/mimbres.html

I am stumped and I really enjoy figuring out something like this.

Am I going in the right direction?

Re: Seeking ideas for art display - 03/26/09 05:22 PM

Close! Petroglyphs are one thing; pottery is another. Maybe I can have a friend print some pottery on something like a mouse pad or similar.

Still thinkin'.....

Re: Seeking ideas for art display - 03/26/09 05:23 PM

I like the Map idea! Maybe I can have her print something and I can place a marker/soap where the Mimbres Indians settled.

Re: Seeking ideas for art display - 03/26/09 05:39 PM

Let me get this straight Di. Are you saying the back drop has to include your soaps?
If so I would thread some with fishing line and hang them from different lenghts so the are somewhat like a mobile. Shine a small spotlight on them and watch em twirl.

More info if I am going down the wrong path again

Re: Seeking ideas for art display - 03/26/09 06:38 PM

This is what the women recommended. I'm a bit confused which is why I'm seeking outside sources:

"You're soaps are beautiful. I see success for you with them.

I'm going to find a way to get them shown at the Ancient Ones show. We require original art so ( an 'assemblage' involving one (or maybe more) stuck on a tree branch (with a nail or with moss covering the hot glue,...) to show as 'multimedia art' would fit in - not to lead your art design process too specifically.) The label could reference 'local ....soap... with tree branch ...', something artistic. Because this is a committee selection I think another picture/submission would make them happier, as art.
I love your designs and concept. Hoping to find a display - vision for them in our art context. "
Posted by: orchid

Re: Seeking ideas for art display - 03/26/09 07:53 PM

Or the soaps displayed as beautiful necklaces..with 1 beautiful mannequin proudly wearing 1 one them and others laid out.

Too bad..if you had time, you could enlist a local art college student or senior high school student to help you with design of the mannequin..it could be paper mache. It would give them practical experience too on marketing and display.
Posted by: DJ

Re: Seeking ideas for art display - 03/26/09 08:05 PM

Those are beautiful soaps. Are you able to find the remains of saguaro cactus? Do you know how they look sort of skeletal, kind of like sea sponges? The message mentions branches with moss, but if you're in New Mexico,, I think you should go with the local terrain (and I admit, I'm imagining Arizona and not sure what your climate is like). If you use a branch, I think it should be all bleached out, and also maybe some stones. Everything earthy beiges and grays except for the soaps. Maybe even some sand.

Re: Seeking ideas for art display - 03/26/09 08:13 PM

Ahhh, when we take the dogs out for a run, I'll look for some yucca pods or mesquite or chollo, ocotillo, or other desert plants. Maybe like a "shadow box" type thing. And I an prob find a small replica of a Mimbres potter bowl.

Hmmmm.........
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Seeking ideas for art display - 03/26/09 09:52 PM

I was invisioning one of those dried, bleached out cattle heads that we can find scattered about in the desert, maybe as a backdrop with soaps around and on it. This is such a neat thread, I love the creativity of people. Good luck!

Re: Seeking ideas for art display - 03/26/09 10:08 PM

Ya gotta have sand I agree. A whole table full with all the soaps and foilage and a few rocks too. Maybe hubby or you ould chalk some of the designs on the rocks.
Isn't this fun.
Posted by: DJ

Re: Seeking ideas for art display - 04/04/09 11:36 AM

Di, what did you end up doing with this?