Finished 3 Christmas Gifts; Sheilak

Posted by: sheilak

Finished 3 Christmas Gifts; Sheilak - 09/23/08 11:10 PM

I finished crocheting 3 pretty crocheted scarves this past week.
I used some of that new yarn that is made from Bamboo.
It is so soft and silky,
I used a size F crochet hook.
They worked up really fast and pretty, Sheilak
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: Finished 3 Christmas Gifts; Sheilak - 09/24/08 01:17 AM

I see Bamboo used also for socks.
This yarn please tell more and do you have pictures.
do you have a patten.
I like easy quick things to create for the sales table at church..
Posted by: underwearmaven

Re: Finished 3 Christmas Gifts; Sheilak - 09/24/08 01:58 AM

Ah, the Underwear Maven can tell all about the regenerated cellulose. Yes, once only known as the step child RAYON which is regenerated cellulose from wood pulp, now many more cellulose fibers like Bamboo, Corn and Soy. And Modal and others have made regenerated wood pulp soooo soft. Cotton of course is the big but old stand by cellulose fiber. Stripping it by mercerization can also give you a very smooth yarn- but it does make it a bit weaker... OK, so more than you wanted to know!
smile Lea
Posted by: Sandpiper

Re: Finished 3 Christmas Gifts; Sheilak - 09/25/08 02:59 PM

Sheilak congrats for finishing 3 christmas projects so early. They sound great. I'd also love to see a picture if you have one.

I've also looked at using the bamboo for items but was not sure how it would work up. I love the feel of it also.

Great info underwearmaven on the yarns. Sometimes it's good to know more than we thought we wanted to. Thanks.

I'm finishing an afghan made with homespun yarn for a cousin. It's her birthday gift - she's born on my twin sister's and mine birthday. I like the new homespun yarn also.
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: Finished 3 Christmas Gifts; Sheilak - 09/25/08 03:10 PM

Good information..UnderWearMaven

My first job was as a lab assistant in the paper industry. There I understood the fibre process.Inded during shortage in war time paper was made from potato shaws...poor quality but with merchant seamen doing more important work ferrying food in great danger this country had to investigate alternatives..
So thanks for more info for my memory bank.
Mountain ash
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Finished 3 Christmas Gifts; Sheilak - 09/25/08 07:45 PM

Sheilak, sent you a PM regarding your crocheted scarfs...
Posted by: gims

Re: Finished 3 Christmas Gifts; Sheilak - 09/25/08 11:55 PM

Christmas? I'm still sweating summer - but, alas, it is the end of September... where DID the year go?
thanks on the info concerning fibers - interesting!
I remember my mother-n-law talking about polished cotton... what exactly is that? I know, I could google, but it's so much easier just asking?
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Finished 3 Christmas Gifts; Sheilak - 10/02/08 02:51 PM

I'm no help with polished cotton. If Mom was still alive, I'd ask her. She knew all the fabrics.