Florida Keys

Posted by: Vicki M. Taylor

Florida Keys - 08/26/06 05:11 PM

I just returned from a week in the Florida Keys. We go several times a year and stay at an apartment near the Long Key State Park. It's a great place to relax and unwind and get away from the day to day stress.

We take our pets with us. Our dog, Jack and our parrot, Bailey. They enjoy being on vacation too. I would miss them terribly if we didn't bring them, and wouldn't enjoy my vacation at all, knowing they were away from me.

Do you take your pets on vacation with you? Or do you board them? How do you like the kennels? Have you visited them unannounced to see how they work? I haven't found a kennel I really truly love, so am hesitant to leave Jack in one.

My husband would rather we left the pets in a kennel, but indulges me. While he is off diving every day, I'm at the apartment. If I didn't have my pets with me, I'd be alone. They keep me company. I can't dive because of an ear problem, so I can't go with him.

The keys are only 6 hours from us, so we can make the trip, easily. I usually drive because I make a terrible passenger. I get all anxious and nervous. But, behind the wheel, I'm fine. Go figure.
Posted by: Dianne

Re: Florida Keys - 08/26/06 10:56 PM

Vicki, I have a critter sitter in our building. They are older and love my dog and parrot so I know they will be treated well. I could never leave my dog at a kennel. She'd have a breakdown (so would I, worrying about her). The bird is used to them now and talks up a storm, something they both love. It cracks them up!
Posted by: Dancing Dolphin

Re: Florida Keys - 08/27/06 03:11 AM

We're leaving on vacation next Thursday, and Luke (our fat beagle) will be staying with my neighbors. He loves being over there and snooping in their yard for squirrels, and playing with their dog, a standard poodle.

Once before we left him at the house with a sitter, but he ran away and we were really lucky to get him back. Then we kenneled him when we went away for awhile, but I know he hated every minute. It was not one of those luxury ones!

But now, my neighbor and I trade off with dog sitting, and that seems to be working very well. Plus, it's free!

Kathy
Posted by: Vicki M. Taylor

Re: Florida Keys - 08/27/06 04:54 PM

Hmm.. asking your neighbors. I don't have any neighbors that I think I could ask. Most work all day and Jack and Bailey are used to having me around all day. The only neighbor that Jack really likes has 2 dogs already of her own. Don't know what she'd think if I asked her to watch Jack as well.

Maybe I'm just not meant to board my pets. :-)