Back home again

Posted by: writegirl1949

Back home again - 06/18/05 02:34 AM

Just to let you all know, my husband and I got back from Garmisch this afternoon. It was a nice trip ... Garmisch was a little disappointing, the guest house "a lot" expensive [Eek!] , and Neuschwanstein Castle "a lot" of steps [Mad] . We ended up in Austria, saw the awesome Swiss Alps covered in snow (back side of the Zugspitze) after we got lost, ate in Bavarian & Italian resaurants, walked around in Garmisch and got some things that say Kloster Biere (Biere is our last name). We went through very long tunnels (they even had emergency exits although I'm not sure where they led to), drove over very long and very high bridges, and traveled over and around and up and down numerous switchbacks of narrow roads. I can't imagine those exits leading out of the mountain because the mountain is huge. And there were times I closed my eyes around the switchbacks. There were a few times I really fought down a panic attack but I put on John Denver [Cool] and my husband got me laughing. The best thing of the whole trip was being together and having fun. And the times when we argued (just a few) I would wait a little bit and then start a conversation on something else and my husband would make me laugh. [Razz] When we disagree I usually clam up and am just miserable.

Unfortunately, we didn't go up the Zugspitz ... and while I was disappointed, it was a wonderful trip. The weather was rainy on Wednesday, sunny and bright yesterday, and slightly overcast today.

I don't know how relaxing it was. The Disneyland castle was challenging ... I've never walked so many steep hills (and it really wasn’t walking … it was hiking [Razz] ) or gone up and down so many twisty staircases. It was soooooo HARD. But worth it. We were a little disappointed with Garmisch itself. There were some pretty buildings but the surrounding area was beautiful. And I took about 200 photos [Smile] (thank goodness for digital cameras).

But it's good to be home and back here at BWS.

Blessings, Francine
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Back home again - 06/18/05 04:10 AM

Welcome back Francine, sounds like an interesting journey. Sent you an email about your story...Send it to me via email if you can.... [Cool]

Re: Back home again - 06/18/05 01:15 PM

Chatty Lady: I sent it off while you were sleeping, lol.

Hugs and blessings, Francine
Posted by: Dianne

Re: Back home again - 06/19/05 07:17 AM

Welcome back. I don't know if you're aware but my sister lives in Paris and she also travels a lot. You might want to look at her site:
www.lindamathieu.com I think the two of you have a lot in common.

Thanks for sharing.

[ June 18, 2005, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: Dianne ]
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Back home again - 06/19/05 06:12 PM

write, what fun. Have you gotten to do much traveling while you've been there? When do you return to the states?

Re: Back home again - 06/19/05 11:40 PM

Dotsie ... We've been to Venice and Ireland plus we've traveled around Germany. I hope to have some of my travel articles on my web site WHEN I get the site up, hopefully sometime next week.
Oh, I've been to Poland and Strousburg, France.

We come back for good in Feb/Mar but I'll be returning to Arizona in September for the kickoff booksignings for my book. And to celebrate my granddaughter's birthday. I've managed to come back every six months for her and my grandson, Cody's birthdays.

Anyway, we hope to go to Switzerland and a few more places before leaving.

I'm thankful for the opportunity to travel but it sure will be good to go home.

Posted by: Sherri

Re: Back home again - 06/19/05 11:56 PM

Sounds like you had a wonderful time Francine. I did warn you of the walk to the castles...lol. I was totally exhausted after the Disney castle and then we did the other one the next morning before starting off over the Alps to Switzerland. I can see your description, that's neat, and I've experienced it.

Re: Back home again - 06/20/05 02:10 PM

Sherri: I did tell my husband that I'd been given fair warning, lol.

It was just that I figured if we took the bus up, the walk wouldn't be so bad. WRONG.

Still, after the view from the bridge, I'd do it all over again.

Posted by: Danita

Re: Back home again - 06/20/05 06:22 PM

Writegirl,

When my hubby and I lived in Italy - we made that same journey and loved it! We stayed in Garmisch and found it so lovely. (you've got to remember we were coming from Naples, which is the armpit of Italy). The thing with Germany was - that I could NEVER find anything to eat. Just couldn't make the adjustment. ha. Took me a year to appreciate "true Italian cooking"!

I loooveee Europe - so beautiful and interesting - but appreciate the "ease" of living in America!

Thanks for sharing your day! It brought back sweet memeories!

Danita

Re: Back home again - 06/20/05 06:45 PM

Danita ... Europe is an intriguing place. We went to Venice last year and stayed on Lido Island ... it was awesome. I wasn't that excited about going. Boy was I impressed. It's a vibrant and colorful city.

Yeah, I'm the same way about German food. We stayed at a "traditional" Bavarian guest house famous for it's food. Well, let's say I wasn't that impressed. The second night we were there we found a small Italian restaurant. What I do enjoy over here is Greek food. We have two Greek restaurants in the small town we live in.

I am thankful for this experience of a lifetime. Glad it brought back sweet memories.

Posted by: Wisdom&Life

Re: Back home again - 06/21/05 07:08 AM

Oh My! This is bringing me back memories. I just shared with Francine that I lived in Heidelberg for 17 years. I moved back to the States in 1996.

I have been to Garmisch twice and the first time I went was because of a weeklong Tennis Workshop, my fiance (Now my husband) wanted to go because he is a tennis fanatic. We did manage to go to Oberamergau(SP) one night for real bavarian food. It was a nice and quaint restaurant there. The second time I went was when my daughter was 4 years old. We went there to see the Disney Castle, I didn't mind the walk, and the smell of baked pretzels helped tremendously! LOL. The problem with going to these castles is that you have to go early while it is light outside. I remember we went in the winter and it gets dark real early. It was nice to go to the Disney Castle if for any other reason to say that "We have been there", I liked his other castle better. It was smaller, but I think it was prettier. I also remember that my daughter was so fascinated with this excentric king, and his story.

Francine, I don't blame you for being sceptical about the emergency exits. Driving in Germany is like driving an obstacle course.

Have you ever been to Rottenburg? That was also fascinating. You sense what it was like in the mideivel(SP) times.

Anyway, I remember one morning we were invited to our neighbors house for a Bavarian Breakfast. It was Weizenbeir (White Beer) the kind you put a slice of lemon in it, white sausage, and some pretzels. Of course, I didn't want to insult these people, so I ate and had the beer. Then, when we arrived home, I took a nice nap. It was a good thing we didn't have other things planned that day for sure. LOL.

Anyway Francine, I am glad that you made it back okay!

Love and Blessings,
Cathi

Re: Back home again - 06/22/05 12:02 PM

Cathi ... you're right about the castles ... I just call them the old castle and the new (Disneyland) castle, lol. The thing I love about many places over here is that the people used walls and the outsides of buildings as their canvass for georgeous painting. Unbelievable art on the walls in both the castles as well as on the buildings in Garmisch.

German breakfast ... well, let's see, the best thing is the bread basket ... fresh brochen, croissants, etc. I cannot get into the breakfast meats (sort of like cold cuts). But the coffee. Coffee here in Germany and most of Europe is AWESOME. No Mr. Coffee's here. Every cup is fresh brewed.

And Rotenburg ... yes we've been and plan to go again after it cools off. Now to me, that's Germany (as opposed to Garmisch) but I'm more into history so that makes sense. Oh yeah, mad King Ludwig ... intersting story.

Anyway, my goal is to write a really good travel article about the trip.

Posted by: Danita

Re: Back home again - 06/22/05 10:01 PM

I was prego one time we went to Germany - we stayed on base. In fact, it was Christmas eve. We got downtown to the "christmas mart" just in time to get one glass of "gluvine (hot wine) and a pastery to die for (forgive my spelling)...and the booths were being torn down around us.

We had come from ITALY to see this market. Ugh. We pulled up at a restaurant to eat dinner, and as were were stepping out of the car - the lights of the restaurant went out. It was Christmas eve, you know.

So, we went back to base (I was very pregnant and overdue to eat) and we found the "snack machines". Oh joy, a frozen burrito - it would satisfy the baby. The #@!#$% thing got stuck in the machine, and it was a war between man and burrito to see who would win. He was BOUND and determined to get the burrito for me..and he did!

woo hoo!

Lessons learned from the road:

Never, no never, no never travel in Europe during christian holidays (christmas, easter).
There will be NO Food, NO stores open, and NO tourists places to visit!

Danita