The Winter Olympics

Posted by: chatty lady

The Winter Olympics - 02/13/10 01:04 AM

I have a large screen (50") TV and even though I can't be there I can see things so clearly. This is the first time in a long time I have felt any interest in watching the olympics
Posted by: orchid

Re: The Winter Olympics - 02/13/10 05:44 AM

What did you like best about the Opening Ceremonies?

This morning we heard of the luge racer who died in training course at Whistler. 'Course was too fast..he was going at over 140 kms. per hr.

I will be meeting a woman tomorrow whose son is competing in Whistler. Not sure which sport. Someone I met via cycling women's internet forum.
Posted by: Lola

Re: The Winter Olympics - 02/13/10 10:04 AM

Bummer. I missed it since I have had the flu for the past ten days and been in "no-thoughts" land. I don't even know whether the BBC have coverage of it. Surely, they must!

They have the sad news on the luge racer from Georgia with a report:

"Officials concluded the track was not unsafe but that the athlete "did not compensate properly" going into a bend."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympic_games/vancouver_2010/luge/8513794.stm

You're so lucky your town is hosting the Winter Olympics and that Vancouver is bigger than London. What is disruption like to community life over there? My town will host the equestrian events in 2012. I am not entirely jubilant about it because it means tearing up the Royal Park in my borough...the community will also have restricted access to the parks in a few months when they start doing so.

Read your post about the exclusive transaction on purchase/sale of bottled water from Coca-Cola. My grandson intends to put up a bottled water and cold drinks stall when the Olympics hit his town in 2012. I wonder whether the same agreement with Coca-Cola would be applied over here. He has also made enquiries about setting up a stall on souvenir items and is still waiting for a reply.
Posted by: Edelweiss3

Re: The Winter Olympics - 02/13/10 07:56 PM

Hope your flu is gone, Lola.

Your son is probably not too early in reserving a spot for his stand.

Hubby propped a teddy bear against my bed pillow. I bought the Teddybear, three years ago, at Whistler mountain. He attached a note to the bear's paws, "I'm homesick! Wake me up at 3:00 pm so I can see my people!"

We really wanted to see it. But wanting was not enough. We slept through, and frankly, I was glad we did, when our little "A" climbed into our bed at 7:00 am this morning.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: The Winter Olympics - 02/13/10 09:21 PM

orchid, how sad to begin the Olympics with the death of an athlete. If I was competing on the luge, I don't think I'd use that course. Way to frightening to me.

I found the fiddle playing and dancing funky and fun.

Re: The Winter Olympics - 02/14/10 04:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Lola
You're so lucky your town is hosting the Winter Olympics and that Vancouver is bigger than London. What is disruption like to community life over there? My town will host the equestrian events in 2012. I am not entirely jubilant about it because it means tearing up the Royal Park in my borough...the community will also have restricted access to the parks in a few months when they start doing so.

Read your post about the exclusive transaction on purchase/sale of bottled water from Coca-Cola. My grandson intends to put up a bottled water and cold drinks stall when the Olympics hit his town in 2012. I wonder whether the same agreement with Coca-Cola would be applied over here. He has also made enquiries about setting up a stall on souvenir items and is still waiting for a reply.

You know if I had any interest in past Olympics, it was the Summer Olympics. In the past 10 yrs., I only paid casual attention. Beijing I ignored it completely. You have to understand, I'm out on the bike when the weather is so good for us then in the summer.

Tearing up Royal Park, means what? For building a permanent or temporary facility? We have such a park close by that is normally used for soccer, etc. For Olympics, transformed into several pavilions and concert stage, etc. We haven't even gone yet, since the lineups have been huge. Better to do it during the week. It's right beside an elementary school and daycare. It is a headache for residents when a whole neighbourhood is transformed..since traffic has to be rerouted. Most likely some of your roads must be closed partially or set aside to deal with a wide river of pedestrians/spectators. We do now have to plot cycling in the early morning..if this rain will go away.

There have been 1,000 security cameras added all over the city for public gathering spots. Abit of controversy if the city can ensure the will be all removed. I wrote about my impressions:
http://cyclewriteblog.wordpress.com/2010/02/01/duct-taping-an-olympic-host-city-for-security-2/

We have police from local cities plus all across Canada. There was a lottery held where police officers wanting to work at the olympics, had to apply and there was semi-draw or whatever. I know this via someone i know who works for the police dept. in Ontario.

Good idea your son is exploring what is required to sell certain products now. The waste of plastic bottles is an issue. I personally don't drink bottled water unless I am in a rural/isolated area and only if the water is not good-tasting, etc. My rationale is that we are fortunate to live in Canada with high probability of clean tap water in most towns and cities. It's when one goes out in the wilderness where it's important to take bottled water. When I cycle, I just put tap water in my bike water bottle.

But I'm a coffee drinker and natural juice drinker when I'm hot/exercising. It's just me. smile smile

But it's all temporary. So best to enjoy the better parts of it. I've been disappointed by several pavilions so far. Not much information..just touch screens, virtual games, snacks and some booze with info. on trade /business strengths. I wondered how earth children could enjoy this. The pavilion on Northwest Territories, Yukon and Nunavut, our 3 Canadian Arctic territories, is the best one so far.

There are many cultural events here...about 70% are ticketed, paid events. But there's other stuff, we hope to explore if we get past those line-ups. For instance, I hope to get into the art gallery here for free since this offer is part of the Olympics ...there are some exhibits (Leonardo da Vinci, West coast alternative art, etc.). Normally it costs $14.00 per person to get in.

The luge athlete death must be a terrible shock to the family. It is a risky sport.

Opening ceremonies: I liked large parts of it. It did weave iconic symbols and things about Canada...ie. the starry spirit bear...is evocative of the real and rare albino bear that exists here along the coast of British Columbia. It is not a polar bear. It is smaller and not as white. lives in the dense temperate rainforests in an area that is very wild and largely uninhabited. I also liked the evocation of salmon (very west coast and was abundant until overfishing/environmental problems), whales and then transforming into ravens, eagles ..soaring thick douglas fir trees..it really can be like that in certain areas at certan times of the year.

I also enjoyed Nellie Furtado and Bryan Adams singing their song and tapping on the virtual vibrating image of a large floor drum surface. Very cool and that motif carried over with the dancing and beating of the First Nations and aboriginal groups that came out...

We watched on tv. Did not buy tickets to see it...just 1 block down the street.

Re: The Winter Olympics - 02/14/10 09:40 AM

This is my town which is at the bottom of my road.
http://www.greenwich-guide.org.uk/greenwich.htm
My property is next to the Royal Park and fronts the Heath.
http://www.johnpayne.com/area_information.html
The Royal Park will host the equestrian events in 2012
http://www.london2012.com/greenwich-park/home.html

They are not tearing down buildings but the grounds and would set up temporary fixtures for the event. Folks would be up in arms if they touch any of the buildings. Like many towns in London, Greenwich is a small and congested town. Aside from tourism, it is also host to a university. Whilst we can cope with normal activities to our town now, preparations for 2012 will significantly disrupt the quality of community life from 2011. The Olympic Committee proposes very little disruption but, they do not live here. And, I would not even begin to talk about traffic! Our roads here are single lanes in both directions with double parking on the side streets as very few have garages and park on bays on the road. Aaack!

On CCTV, we already have those here. The whole country is peppered with CCTV's. Has been for many years. So, at the very least, that's one area which they would not need to tear up the roads for to install cables and all the associated work that comes with it. A fine thing as the gas, electric and cable people already do a good job with endless roadworks. Another aaaack! to the daily life in Greenwich.

It's not my son. It's my grandson who intends to set up a stall. He is a competitive swimmer at junior level in Wales but, would be too young to try out for the Olympics in 2012 as he would only be 12. The only way he could participate on this occasion would be peripheral with hopes to making a buck in the two weeks that it is held here and in Wales.

Yep. As you say, we'll enjoy it for the short period it is held over here regardless of protestations in relation to the Royal Park. I don't think there is much anyone can do to overturn the decision but, we can at least monitor them. I've been reading your blog to learn from your experience over there. Thanks. The information you give will go a long way towards helping me as a resident of a town hosting an Olympic event.

Re: The Winter Olympics - 02/14/10 10:06 AM

Happy New Year, Orchid!!!

Re: The Winter Olympics - 02/14/10 03:38 PM

Wow what a greeting, Lola! smile
Gunghaggis Fat Choy!
http://www.gunghaggisfatchoy.com/blog/_archives/2010/2/2/4445087.html There's a Chinese-Canadian guy who runs a banquet every year that combines both Chinese New Year & Robbie Burns celebrations. Not sure the food is great culinary stuff but fun. (I know that R.Burns was Scottish not English.)

Your area looks lovely.What is the public transit like in your area? When I visited London over 20 years ago, we took the underground or a commuter train out near King Henry VIII's estate to tour the grounds. We enjoyed ourselves. Nearby was a medieval fair. For us, to see THAT, except for a First Nations (this is what Canadians refer to native Indians)festival / pow-wow, it looks very unusual to us.

For such narrow streets, it might be better to think of public transit and walking during that time. Which is what has happened here. We live a 15 min. walk from 2 different light rail stations (each in different directions) which is ideal to get around to the major Olympic venues which are downtown Vancouver.

Maybe your grandson should think of an environmentally friendly product to sell. That would be a great selling point.

Re: The Winter Olympics - 02/14/10 07:47 PM

Lola: Re narrow streets...alot of progressive urban planners and architects are starting to in some cities here in Canada (still not many), of NOT making residential streets so wide or at least create traffic calming road desings. Otherwise it just creates more car traffic, no one wants to walk around, too dangerous for children and creates wide sprawly neighbourhoods like what one finds in suburban North America which leads to lengthy 1-2 story strip malls and yet more huge parking lots. It's a horrible feeling as a tourist when visiting such areas ..and when one is in desperate need of a quality restaurant meal. Faceless.

The unique situation of Vancouver is that its biggest Olympic venues are located in heart of downtown, whereas to my understanding London 2012 alot of venues will be out on the edge of London and in suburbs/smaller towns like your area? So this is why urban planners at this point in history, are quite interested in seeing how Vancouver handles mass events during this time and legacy, new buildings after Olympics.

Actually what is happening now, is that some of the major streets in heart of downtown have been closed off. They have installed some public art and outdoor seating where people are hanging out and having conversation. Includes people with families. It looks and feels far more human than yet another yawning strip of concret asphalt and cars.

The city is also using 2 test streetcars during the Olympics that they are providing free rides to get to a busy popular market area where there's produce, restaurants, galleries, marina, etc. At this time, the streetcars (which we haven't had them since late 1950's) are full (seats up to 180 per streetcar per ride). So you can imagine that well over 30,000 people are pouring into this market area daily during the Olympics.

Re: The Winter Olympics - 02/15/10 08:03 AM

http://www.london2012.com/games/venues/index.php

Some of the events will be held in Central London i.e. Hyde Park, Royal Artillery , Regents Park and The Horseguards Parade. The rest of the events to be held in London are fanned out to the suburbs because of proximity to the Olympic Village. The village will be turned over to the local public authorities for the public's benefit after the Olympics.

Public transport is fab over here but, still a daunting task for the Olympic Committee to ensure that the athletes get to their events on time because it is heaving during peak hours. Transport and access to the Games are of utmost concern for 2012 and I hope visitors to London would walk to venues. They'll get to see more of London that way as well.

Re: The Winter Olympics - 02/15/10 02:41 PM

Lola, your town reminds me a bit of Annapolis where our Naval Academy is located, however it is on the Water.

What fun that the two of you can discuss your towns holding the Olympics.

I couldn't imagine the traffic if they were held in our city. Egads. Lola, are you having trouble getting around to do your everyday chores, etc?

Re: The Winter Olympics - 02/15/10 06:15 PM

It's really great that Orchid is writing about the Olympics in her town and her resident experience because it gives an insight into what to expect when it hits our town in two years. Wish we had Vancouver's space though as London is quite compact.

We jostle everyday going around London on ordinary days, Dotsie. I expect more so when works start over here, which would be later this year. They're proposing to install operational facilities on The Heath, which my property fronts. It's right across the road from me and a five-minute walk to the events arena. I believe the residents will get concessionary tickets to all the games held in the Borough. YAY! I only hope that Zara (the Queen's granddaughter) qualifies for the GB team. I'd love to see her at dressage.

Re: The Winter Olympics - 02/15/10 11:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Lola
The rest of the events to be held in London are fanned out to the suburbs because of proximity to the Olympic Village. The village will be turned over to the local public authorities for the public's benefit after the Olympics.

Public transport is fab over here but, still a daunting task for the Olympic Committee to ensure that the athletes get to their events on time because it is heaving during peak hours. Transport and access to the Games are of utmost concern for 2012 and I hope visitors to London would walk to venues. They'll get to see more of London that way as well.

Unfortunately the Olympic athletes' village housing which is primarily condos that overlook a waterfront, have become very expensive homes to buy..at least over $800,000CAN to over $1 million per condo. And these would not be huge suites. At the beginning, we were led to believe there would be affordable housing, but the developers had itchy hot fingers.

Now a furious debate broiling underneath for after Olympics, if a tiny handful of suites could be set aside for lower-income folks. The public was abit hoodwinked at the beginning when there were public consultations on sustainability design, etc. That's nice, but now who can afford this?

VAncouver has the highest real estate prices in Canada. I heard London and suburbs aren't cheap at this time.

It is true..the financial beneficiaries are not mainly the athletes at all. Only a few gold medalled ones become decently comfortable.

Haven't heard about concessionary tickets for folks like Lola who are affected by noise, construction, etc.

We just found out last night that there will be fireworks displays every night at a major Olympic public venue in our neighbourhood. So I will post fireworks photos soon. But for now see our opening ceremonies fireworks:

http://cyclewriteblog.wordpress.com/2010/02/13/iconic-photo-memories-2010-winter-olympics-part-i/

Re: The Winter Olympics - 02/16/10 07:40 AM

That'll be something taxpayers will have a hawkseye on since taxpayers' money are heavily invested into the Olympic Village. The justification at the time that it was invested was for plans to turn over the units for social housing after the events and that there were proposed plans to build up social housing in that area. There may be a portion sold off to private buyers at market rate {for an immediate ROI) and a portion on a shared ownership which is how most new-built properties under social housing i.e. "affordable" is sold. Market rate over here is £250,000 on average now. The rest, I presume, would fall within the norm i.e. controlled rents. The beneficiaries of the housing units will be very lucky as most of the associated facilities to the Village will remain.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/may/13/olympic-village-fully-nationalised

A further hawkseye on the impact of the events to be held in my town.
http://www.greenwich.co.uk/tag/london-2012-olympics/
"GREENWICH Park will not be fully restored to its current state after the Olympics until 2015, the planning application documents, published on the council’s website on Tuesday, show.

Areas of the park will be closed off from February or March 2010, meaning that the park has less than four months of full public access left. The total duration of the Olympic-related works and closures in the Park will be five years. The total duration of the events themselves is two weeks.

The length of the work period, far in excess of expectations, is one of a number of very unpleasant shocks from the planning application documents. The principal document, the Environmental Statement volume 1 (ES), is downloadable in two parts from this document list

(it is about three-quarters of the way down the list of documents). References which follow are to ES paragraph numbers, except where indicated.

Lorry and vehicle movements

Construction and removal of the main 23,00-seat showjumping arena will create an estimated 6,420 lorry movements to the park - an average of 43 to 58 per day .(ES 3.4.17). This phase will close large parts of the park for a total of eight months in 2012, from April to November inclusive (ES 3.2).

Other items of plant in the park will include 160-tonne mobile cranes, 5 tonne mini-excavators, bulldozers and JCBs (ES 3.4.23).

The events themselves will create 35,960 vehicle movements by competitors, officials and media to the park, an average of 625 a day. (ES 3.4.32). The park will be almost completely closed for four weeks (ES 3.3.7) and largely closed for longer.

Heritage impact (archaeology, historic buildings, etc.)

The overall permanent impact on the park’s heritage features is assessed as “likely to be neutral to slightly adverse” and the ES admits that some heritage features could suffer permanent “loss or partial loss.” (ES introduction, page 10).

Most features, it is claimed, will be protected by mitigation (protective structures and the like). But “as a last resort,” some heritage features will be “preserv[ed] by record,” ie permanently destroyed, but only after pictures and records have been made of them. (ES introduction, page 10).

A set of ornate gates into the park will be removed to allow vehicle access, although it is promised that they will be replaced afterwards.

Visual impact and trees

The park will be surrounded by a 9-foot-high metal security fence, with spotlights every 80 feet and CCTV cameras on 16-foot poles every 250 feet. There will be a similar, inner fence cordoning off other areas. (ES 3.2.32-3.)

The ground in the open area in front of the Maritime Museum, which currently slopes slightly, will be made level, with topsoil potentially needing to be stripped to a depth of 1.3 feet. “Retaining structures” may have to be installed in the soil in this area. (ES 3.2.2-9.)

Seventy-two trees will be pruned to allow a 11-foot clearance for horses to pass underneath, including a “small number” which will suffer “removal of branches to the main stem.” The majority of pruning would be to branches of 25mm or less,
although a number would be up to but not more than 50mm. (ES 12.6.9).

There will be temporary power plants, water and fuel tank compounds (ES 3.2.52-5). Temprary ducts will be dug across the park to divert some existing gas, water and sewage mains pipes which currently pass under areas needed for the competition (ES 3.2.61).

“On balance, the overall magnitude of change is considered to be
medium adverse resulting in a moderate adverse effect.” (ES 12.6.14)"

Just a few of the reasons against holding the events at the Royal Park. The residents firmly hold that the damage to the Royal Park is disproportionate to the benefits.

Re: The Winter Olympics - 02/16/10 09:19 AM

Just been to your blog and enjoyed the photos, Orchid. Thanks. The Olympic fireworks and opening ceremonies are just breathtaking to watch, even on television, which is how I will choose to view them when it happens here because I am asthmatic and gunpowder is not my bedfellow. To date, the best opening and closing Olympic ceremonies on the top of my list would be Barcelona and China's.

How are the games holding up with the initial problem with snow?

P.S.

I was on one of those Dutch bikes when I took the grandchildren to Amsterdam last summer. I quite like them as they're the closest to "traditional" bikes i.e. single speed. I also did not have to hunch to cycle at leisure.

Here's another reason why residents have taken up an environmental jihad. The road is a main artery to the Royal Park and although the problem with road subsidence has been dealt with, residents are quite wary of problems arising again as and when the unusual traffic of heavy equipment commence.
http://gihs.gold.ac.uk/blackhole/hole.htm

Re: impressions- Winter Olympics - 02/16/10 11:39 PM

I haven't watched the opening and closing ceremonies for any Olympics in the past 15 years or so. So I can't comment.

But for Canada's 2010 version for opening ceremonies..methinks many Canadians who have lived here for several decades and have experienced Canada by travelling abit in different provinces, have read about Canada's history, (which can be quite contrasting in history, demographic composition, even wildlife and vegetation in different regions) would strongly identify some of the common themes, symbols and historic-cultural legacies.

I enjoyed the twinkling light Spirit Bear..which evokes the real-life rare albino bear inhabiting the wild uninhabited rugged coastline of British Columbia. This coastline is similar to the fjords of Norway if one takes a cruise through the Strait up to Alaska. I have taken a ferry 400 kms. up the coastline and was humbled/awed. So wild. It's so steep, rocky and dense of tall rainforest trees, that hardly anyway can live there. The road maps of British Columbia hardly show ANY roads leading to the whole rugged coastline. One would have fly in by seaplane.

The First Nations people (native Indians, but they are called/call themselves First nations, because they were the original inhabitants of Canada) does have a special place in their legends, etc. Spirit Bear at the opening ceremonies also evokes the wild polar bears that roam...in northern Ontario and further north all across the Canadian Arctic.

The imaginery of orca whales/whales, red salmon then transformed into the First Nations spiritual and artistic iconography, is VERY Canadian Northwest Coast. I realize salmon is found in Atlantic Ocean. But salmon here has a long cultural & spiritual significance to First Nations ..the image of salmon infiltrates the legends, major traditional cash crop/source of many things for the First Nations..which then in modern day transfers to our smoked salmon (hot smoked salmon as done by the First Nations, candied salmon, salmon jerky, etc....) Then if my memory can recall, the transition to the rainforest soaring heights of the Douglas fir trees, etc. Again, very, very Northwest Coast British Columbia..something alot of visitors want to see in our parks, wilderness, etc.

The allusion to CAnadian vast prairies as a sea is very much harkening to a whole genre of art and literature where prairies represents freedom of spirit, openness and all those romantic visions of Canada ...which is similar to the U.S. with their prairies Midwest. Not sure if we saw buffalo, caribou and muskox images in the opening ceremonies. I haven't seen live muskox yet since they hang out wild in the Arctic and probably might find a zoo in southern Canada just too stifling-hot. But hiking in the Canadian Rockies and driving through there, we have encountered wild black and brown bears, several caribou at different times, herds of wild bighorn sheep with curled back tusks...

it's all real too..I don't what to say. Alot of the European countries do not have the large wildlife anymore ..like what Canada and U.S. have in some regions. Nature truly rules Canada and our pscyhe. That includes the weather. It is vast, humbling and a person could be killed /lost in the wilderness if they don't have proper skills. People have to be rescued from our local mountains if they don't know the hiking trails,..only 20 kms., from our home..same mountains that I can see from our home right now. Black bears occasionally visit the backyards of people in th suburbs. In my last job, I worked in an area where there bears that did encroach our construction site.

Which probably explains why we have sprawled out suburbs in own large home lots and love our cars too much.

Most definitely the opening ceremonies to me, did convey a strong sense of vastness of Canada and regional differences. Celtic stuff is in Eastern Canada, as you may know.

I did like the use of the drum motif built into the stage set, where singers Nellie Furtado and Bryan Adams (both are from Vancouver) sang and whenever they danced, the drum floor vibrated. And carrying over the drum motif later on.

They have recently cancelled 20,000 tickets for some of the events due to weather causing unstable viewing areas.
http://www.ctvolympics.ca/news-centre/newsid=43329.html

The construction mess in your area...5 years..well I can relate to that. It wouldn't be surprising in Vancouver, it'll take at least 1 yr. for the temporary structures to be taken down, grass resodded, etc.

Some of the country pavilions have been boring and not much to offer. More promoting trade /biz opportunities or offering liquor and snacks. Only one pavilion that I've seen that didn't rip people off with inflated prices..(Ontario pavilion did offer reasonably priced glass of wine..at least 15 choices to highlight wine region of Niagara-on-the-Lake). After seeing huge lineups for B.C. pavilion, I kinda gave up.

Right now it is spring like. Some cherry trees have even started to bloom. Sunny. The city looks real beautiful on days like this..just like the postcards.

On a different day we will also be going to the women's hockey game playoffs. Did I mention, that one of my nieces, 8- yrs. old is enrolled in ice hockey this year? I think she didn't want to be left out from her 2 brothers also in ice hockey.

When I grew up, we knew of no girl playing ice hockey. Certainly there were no girls' ice hockey teams in town. Things change. Canada's women's Olympic hockey team captain is a mother of 2 children, I believe she is in her early 30's.

Re: impressions- Winter Olympics - 02/17/10 01:52 AM

http://fourhostfirstnations.com/discover-aboriginal-peoples/ About the 4 First Nations bands (or groups) that cover the Metro Vancouver area.

http://www.hellobc.com/NR/rdonlyres/196F50E4-DC25-4CEF-9E49-89B6EC18011C/0/BC01.pdf Map of British Columbia with all cities and major towns noted. Just going 100 kms. north of Vancouver, is Whistler which is wilderness with a ski resort town. Plus 2 little towns for next 200 kms. north. That's all.. Of course, people come internationally to go mountaineering in full winter gear and boot ice crampons and ice sticks.

Areas where there aren't any towns, means it's mountain ranges (we have 3 mountains ranges that run north to south) with some mountains ranking 2nd in height to the Himalayans. Or it's flat desert scrub land..which is similar to parts of California/Nevada. That's where our wineries and vineyards are.

When planning a biking trip across Canada, it can be a planning exercise in some areas --hardly any choice of roads. And becoming strong enough to ride 100 kms. for whole day ..until getting lst corner store, gas station.

Last Saturday I met a woman from a women's cycling Internet forum. SHe is the mother of a competing Olympic athlete son (ski jump and nordic ski race combo). She lives in Thunder Bay, Ontario which is over 1,500 kms. north of Toronto. I asked her about the limited highway situation. There's still only 1 highway that crosses from province of Manitoba into northern Ontario, in her area. If there is a major road accident or heavy snow, it shuts traffic between 2 provinces at the northern end...a serious problem for transport trucks, etc.

It is a well-used highway in an isolated part of Canada.

Posted by: humlan

Re: impressions- Winter Olympics - 02/17/10 07:17 PM

My Gosh this was FUN reading..

We are following the Olympics from Sweden..where we have GOBBS of snow, by the way, Vancouver smile isn´t it just the way? When you want it..it´s GONE!!!!!

Anyway..this thread makes it so much more ALIVE somehow!!! And we, Swedes, have some gold,too! But not where we thought we would

Hugs and Greetings

cool

Re: impressions- Winter Olympics - 02/17/10 07:59 PM

This makes me feel so much closer to the Olympics, plus I feel like I"m getting a history lesson to boot.

WHen are you going to the speed skateing? And is the woman cycler youmet only in town because of the Olympics?

Re: impressions- Winter Olympics - 02/17/10 08:39 PM

Orchid, I caught parts of the luge events on TV. The speed and the position of the athletes on their way through the course was hair-raising. They also showed the spiked gloves which the athletes use to help propel themselves from the starting line.

I enjoyed a delayed telecast of the figure skating competition, which is my most favourite event. We're hours behind live coverage so I'm trying to catch up.

How very odd that the northeastern states in the US had a lot of snow and Vancouver did'nt get a fair share of that.

Re: impressions- Winter Olympics - 02/18/10 02:54 AM

Humlan, would love to know what sports Swedes follow very closely for the Winter Olympics. The Dutch are crazy about speedskating, since it's embedded in their history and lifestyle. The frozen canals there had them naturally skating from one town to next.. so 20-30 kms. skate is not unusual. And they for some reason I can't figure out, wear bright orange to indicate their enthusiasm. I'm not sure where the orange association comes from.

Of course, many Canadians are fans of hockey. I used to enthusiastivally watch hockey games on TV for 2-3 years, when I was teen. Alot of cyclists that we know, do x-country skiing in the winter for cross-training or snowshoeing in the mountains. More like snowshoe running for some folks. It's a serious workout.

By the way, Lola you mentioned you enjoyed the Dutch bikes because you can sit more upright. I do not have dropped handlebars which force me to hunch over. I sit slightly upright. I've always cycled in this position. We got a reaction from the Netherlands about the articles I wrote in our blog about the Dutch bike ride.

By the way, Lola here's the latest articles which has photos of our area with the crowds, a blooming cherry tree smile :
http://thirdwavecyclingblog.wordpress.co...public-transit/ The night photo of Olympic rings, is actually some sort of image/signage that appears through a waterworks fountain display that burst out towards the end of the fireworks show. This was a few days ago.

One of the cycling women in another Internet forum wants to learn to luge. She described how they trained newbies --going only 35 miles/hr. (which to me is still fast) and using pillows to cushion their accidental crashes/spills. Not for me. blush I didn't know about those gloves for pushing off the ice.

Dotsie:
We're going to the 2 sports event competitions next wk. The woman was in Vancouver/Whistler only to support her son (who's 33 yrs. old). He didn't place very well. I think parents of Olympic athletes sacrifice ---ALOT, in terms of time and financing.
Last night we were outside planning to see the fireworks. noticed a number of ambulances. No sirens. Police. Not too unusual. Since the fireworks were meant to occur after a huge free concert for several thousand people.

So yesterday, fireworks was cancelled and the concert was cancelled....because 19 people got injured when they surged forward (they shouldn't do this) and broke down a fence barrier by the stage when the rock musician group started to play. Thankfully no one was trampled but someone had a fractured leg.

We hope to see fireworks again tonight. No, this area is not inside the concert stage/spectator area.

Re women's hockey in Canada:

Quote:
For observers of the women's game, now in its fourth Olympics, it's difficult to see a more competitively balanced field in the near future. While Sweden and Finland have inched closer to the North Americans, the rest of the world is falling further behind, stunted by factors including a chauvinistic attitude in continental Europe.

"It's not going to change until parents believe it's OK for your daughter to come to the rink and play hockey," said Andrew Podnieks, a hockey historian. "That's a much, much bigger challenge in countries that aren't as liberal. Finland and Sweden are the most open-minded. Well, guess what? They're No. 3 and No. 4."

Canadian captain Hayley Wickenheiser, who played professional men's hockey in Finland, said she encountered that attitude in Europe, although less so in Scandinavia. "You're still fighting those things," she said. "We're ahead of the curve over here, and that's what helped our game so much. Hockey Canada believes in us and stepped up to the plate."

Full article:
http://www.ctvolympics.ca/hockey/news/newsid=44775.html#another+blowout+canadas+women

Important to remember that good hockey does not mean body checking (meaning deliberately slamming into someone else) and fights. Which happens alot now in men's professional hockey.
Posted by: humlan

Re: impressions- Winter Olympics - 02/20/10 02:46 AM

So..what do you think of our Anja Paerson??? What a woman!!!!

Re: impressions- Winter Olympics - 02/21/10 04:03 AM

She seems like a tough lady, humlan, that skier.