Special Needs Children

Posted by: NYWoman

Special Needs Children - 09/01/07 06:50 PM

Do any of you have special needs children? My son (who is now 27 years old) is developmentally disabled (mild to moderate mental retardation with autistic-like tendencies). He has also been diagnosed as bi-polar.

He resides in group home and attends what is called an adult day program.

I'd like to share more about my son, but first I'd like to know if anyone can relate to what I've written. If so, I'd appreciate hearing from you.
Posted by: Dancing Dolphin

Re: Special Needs Children - 09/01/07 08:15 PM

I don't, but a good friend of mine has a daughter who is 24 and in a similar situation. I don't know if they ever put a name on her disabilities, but she's had to be in special classes all through school.

It's hard for a parent, because you want your child to be taken care of it something happens to you. The group home has been good for Kaitlyn, because she's learning some living skills and doing a little (speciality) work to help pay her way.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Special Needs Children - 09/01/07 10:19 PM

My brother who is now 65 years old and still lives at home with my 87 year old mother. He's been epileptic since age 4. Has had grand maul seizures all his life, so could never ride a bike, skate, certainly not drive, nor was he allowed to work because of insurance worries the employers had. He is somewhat slow mentally now from all the years of countless medications he has been forced to take. We worry about when mother passes, so mom is trying to get him into assisted living right now.