Children At Christmas Time

Posted by: Sadie

Children At Christmas Time - 12/11/05 09:34 PM

Ah, How wonderful to see small children at christmas time and there wide with wonder . I remember when my daughter was little she came running christmas morning saying to my husband and me Santa's been here Santa's been here . Anyone else have fond memories of when you children were little at Christmas ?
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Children At Christmas Time - 12/11/05 09:42 PM

Yes I do Nancy... like the time my son found his Santa and said, "you're not gonna believe this Mommy...Santa is using our closet to hide presents! Wonder why he's using OUR house?"

I could have died!

JJ
Posted by: ladybug

Re: Children At Christmas Time - 12/11/05 09:56 PM

My husband use to wait until they were in bed awhile. We had a leather strap with bells on it. He'd go around the back of the house through the woods to their bedroom windows. He'd ring those bells and stomp really hard saying, "ho, ho, ho." Once I sat down near our son's door and heard him whisper to himself, "he's here!" then in a louder voice, "yo Santa!"

Some Christmas Eves we'd tuck him and his sister in together when they were still very small. It was their idea. I sat by their door when my husband when out to do his "bell ringing and ho, ho ho." I could hear one of them getting up and nearly tripped running down the hallway back to the lving room. As I sat there out of breath our son comes running in to tell me Santa was here.
Such wonderful memories!
Posted by: NHJackie

Re: Children At Christmas Time - 12/11/05 10:04 PM

Christmas with grammie and grampie was always magical for my kids when they were little. So was gathering around the menorah at home to light the candles. Nothing is more beautiful than the shining eyes of a child at this time of year!
Posted by: Sadie

Re: Children At Christmas Time - 12/13/05 06:43 AM

I miss not having children around for christmas , but we have a granddog now . It was so much fun in days gone by. I agree with you Jackie what is christmas without children and excitement.
Posted by: NHJackie

Re: Children At Christmas Time - 12/13/05 07:01 AM

We don't have any little ones in the family right now. The youngest child who will be there is 19. Maybe someday I'll have grandchildren. Sigh.
Posted by: Eagle Heart

Re: Children At Christmas Time - 12/13/05 08:01 AM

Not having had any children of my own, we "made do" with my youngest brother, who at the age of 40+ (and single) is still a little kid at heart. I've always made sure there was some neat little toy under the tree for him.

Now with our granddaughter, Christmas is a whole new experience...but we still make sure that my brother doesn't get left out...he may be a very responsible, hard-working boss man on the outside, but I still see a toy-loving little boy deep down inside.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Children At Christmas Time - 12/13/05 07:02 PM

These stories make me teary-eyed.

I have a little great-nephew that will be here Christmas day. I am looking so forward to having a little one in the house. I can't wait. We got him ten little Matchbox cars and are wrapping them all individually. He is a doll, and all boy. He definitely adds merriment wherever he goes.

One of my favorite Christams memories is of my daughter when she was about four. Some of her gifts were: footy pajamas, ice skates, Little Mermaid unbrella, and a funky, fun snow hat. We have a picture of her in her new p.j.'s, with her hat and ice skates on, holding her umbrella. She is sitting on the top of the sliding board out back. She wanted to test her umbrella and skates. It was neither icey nor raining. She climed the slide steps with her skates on. It's precious. That's my little girl!
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Children At Christmas Time - 12/23/05 02:58 AM

I will never forget my Grandsons face the morning he awoke here in the Las Vegas desert his birthplace and saw snow for the very first time. His father, my son drove up to Mt. Charleston 40 miles away with a friend and they brought back 2 truck loads of snow and spread it in the front yard. It gets really cold here but doesn't snow. He and his little friends went nuts that morning in the first snow many of them had ever experienced except on TV or looking up at it on the mountain tops way above the city. Probably the best present these kids ever got...
Posted by: Daisygirl

Re: Children At Christmas Time - 12/23/05 05:03 AM

One Christmas my son Keith wanted a bike for Christmas. Well, we weren't really poor, but not rich either and he informed us that he would ask Santa for the bike so mom and (cheapskate)dad wouldn't have to worry about buying it. We could get him something less expensive. I'm sure he had no idea how much a bike was and if that was expensive or not.

Daisygirl

Re: Children At Christmas Time - 12/24/05 05:54 AM

Christmas is still fun and exciting even though our two "kids" are 18 and 20 years old.

Re: Children At Christmas Time - 12/24/05 05:58 PM

Ladybug, I'm with you. Our kids ar 20, 18 and 17. I still celebrate Christmas as though the were little ones by writing Santa on some of their gifts and they don't complain.

We had our party last night and in addition to my sister from New Orleans being here, the most uplifting parts of the party were the little ones.

I have a little 7 week old great-niece who was here briefly. Everyone was tickled to meet her. She was all decked out in a little black and red velour Christmas outfit. Just precious.

Then my great-nephew who is two was here kissing everyone with his litle fish-face kisses. He was still alive and kicking at midnight. He discovered hos shadow in our driveway and had everyone in tears laughing as he chased it off and on all night. Too cute!

Enjoy the kids. They grow up too fast!

Re: Children At Christmas Time - 12/24/05 07:03 PM

We celebrated hubby's 65th birthday here last night, with his daughter, son, daughter-in-law and almost-5 granddaughter. In amongst Pappy's birthday gifts were a couple of "surprises"...when hubby unwrapped a "Kelly on Pegasus", you should have seen the GD's eyes light up. It's that light and the sheer joy on her face that makes Christmas and birthdays come alive in a brand new way these days. They were fun before she came along, but oh, what wondrous magic she brings into every celebration!

[ December 24, 2005, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: Eagle Heart ]

Re: Children At Christmas Time - 12/24/05 11:09 PM

Dotsie, sounds like you had fun! This year I signed the name Santa on a few of our children's gifts too.

Christmas is still a fun, magical time of year for us here.
Posted by: Daisygirl

Re: Children At Christmas Time - 12/25/05 01:46 AM

One Christmas instead of nametags, I copied photographs of the receivers when they were much younger and taped them to the package. It was a lot of fun. Of course I chose the most embarrassing pictures I could find!

Daisygirl
Posted by: smilinize

Re: Children At Christmas Time - 12/25/05 03:05 AM

I hate wrapping and always buy a ton of small gifts to accompany the one nice gift for everyone so I use those large bags. I kind of wad things up in tissue and throw them into the bag. Then I write everyone's name on the bag in big glittered calographied letters.

They look so pretty glittering in the lights of the tree.

The kids all come in excited to see their name and guessing what's in the bags. They seem to like knowing which bag is theirs and talking about it before we open gifts after dinner.

It saves time and has become a tradition that the kids seem to look forward to.

smile
Posted by: Danita

Re: Children At Christmas Time - 12/25/05 03:16 AM

Smile,

I am sooo with you about hating to wrap. Ughhhhh.

Gift bags are a gift to the "wrapping challenged"!

Danita

p.s. isn't it cool have you've taken a challenge and made it something your family looks forward to!!!!

Re: Children At Christmas Time - 12/26/05 07:24 PM

It's just like smile to take a pain in the heck chore and create something fun.

One of the best parts of Christmas for my husband is guessing what's inside the package.
Posted by: Searcher

Re: Children At Christmas Time - 12/27/05 01:07 PM

oo -oo- oo, I wish I could have you girls for a class! When I was in my early twenties, I worked for a department store in Bloomington, Illinois. An upscale store in those days and they wrapped for free. So I was taught how to wrap - and FAST!!! I can still make the perfect corners AND a beatiful bow in seconds!!! I'm forever loving this little education and talk about "outcome based" - the outcome has been great for 30 some years! Way better than my statistics classes....

HEY!!!!! Now there's a business in the making......Now let's see, I wonder what I could charge for wrapping classes........

But great job, Smile, making lemonade......

Dotsie, Sam is so into shaking packages and has been all his life, that I put small rocks in boxes with shirts in them. Sometimes pennies. Or put money in a really big box and put ceramic tiles in there too. It has been a game for us for so many years now, that it's a joke all by itself. Shaking the box now means, WHAT is in that box besides the present? Nichole thought this was just hilarious and would start thinking of the things to go into Sam's boxes weeks ahead of time. Funny. She was not a shaker and so it was just she and I thinking of these silly things, but never for HER boxes.....That's a really nice memory you women have just reminded me of ...THANKS. AS always.....

Searcher

BTW, when I read my posts again, I see that I use so many exclamation points. This is really funny because, one time when Sam and I were watching Seinfeld, I made a remark about Kramer and that I tend to get excited about things like Kramer. Sam said, "Mother, YOU ARE Kramer!" LOL, LOL, LOL. I'm thinking it's true.....I even have some of his exaggerated movements....OMG!!!!! [Eek!]

Re: Children At Christmas Time - 12/27/05 01:15 PM

I am a caricature of myself. What does that MEAN???? [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Re: Children At Christmas Time - 12/28/05 08:49 AM

Searcher, I love your idea of putting pennies and rocks in packages. We have tried using wrong sized boxes, but never thought to add to theh package. I love it.

Also, I bought some cologne for my daughter at the department store and they wrapped it for me. I couldn't believe it. It took me back to the days of when they had the little wrapping department hidden away in some corner on the top floor. Do they still have them?

The exclamation marks remind me of a couple people in my life. One I refer to as the king of superlatives, the other is the queen.
Posted by: AvalonBlondi

Re: Children At Christmas Time - 12/28/05 03:17 AM

Searcher...I love envisioning you as the female version of Kramer...now I want to live next door to you...!!!...Can't wait to use your clever idea next year and pack my gift boxes with rocks and pennies...you are a gem for sure!!! [Big Grin]
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Children At Christmas Time - 12/28/05 03:40 AM

Everybody loves Kramer...My ex showed up on my doorstep with all his gifts that needed wrapping, hat in hand. I hate to brag but am an excellent wrapper and love to create outlandish packages. Well he told me days later that the boxes got a milliion ooohs and ahhhs and no one wanted to tear into them. Some of the gals even took pictures of the wrappings. I had a ball wrapping them. Do it every year for my familys gifts too...
Posted by: Bluebird

Re: Children At Christmas Time - 12/28/05 03:49 AM

Ya gotta love Kramer! My kids love the episode where he falls asleep on the woman and he gets dumped in the river!! My 8 year old walks around saying "I woke up in the Hudson River in a sssssssaaack!!"

Re: Children At Christmas Time - 12/28/05 04:45 PM

Blue, how old is your youngest child?

Re: Children At Christmas Time - 12/28/05 07:54 PM

My youngest, Hope Marie, will be 4 in February.
There are almost 21 years between oldest and youngest, both girls.

Re: Children At Christmas Time - 12/29/05 07:33 AM

Bluebird you are so lucky....4 is my very favorite age...they are old enough to have alot of fun with...they think their Mommy walks on water...and the outside world hasn't had a chance to make any kind of mark yet...I remember when my oldest daughter went to kindergarten and began quoting her teacher instead of me...her teacher was a lovely person...she came from the Bronx and had a very thick New "Yawk" accent...my 5 year old insisted on speaking exactly the same way her teacher did....right down to asking me to find some "scissa's" so she could cut out pictures for her homework project...those were the days....I miss them...give your little one a hug from me tonight... [Wink]

Re: Children At Christmas Time - 12/29/05 08:29 AM

That is so cute, Nancy! I'm picturing a little girl saying scissas!! I was actually born in the Bronx but don't really have an accent.
It's true, though, when they go to school, mom no longer knows anything. The worst is when another 5 year old tells them something and they believe it but then they don't believe what their parents tell them.
I will hug her for both of us...How old are your kids?

Re: Children At Christmas Time - 12/29/05 07:17 PM

Bluebird...born in the Bronx and living in Colorado?? Such culture shock for you...my kids are 29, 27,24,21....I have always been such a baby/litle kid person....my youngest was born when I was 30 and I finally convinced my husband when we were 39 to try for one more but it just never happened...Now I am saying a Novena to St. Anne for a grandchild....I love hearing the stories of your house fu though...and I hope you are all recovered from the stomach virus that went through your house over Christmas.

Re: Children At Christmas Time - 12/30/05 08:31 AM

Thanks Nancy! After my grandson got sick last night he fell asleep. My daughter and SIL didn't want to wake him up so I told them to sleep over. My daughter started feeling sick around 2 am so she's been up since then. The baby is fine.
My husband just drove my Sis-IL and MIL to the airport, so once this darn bug is gone, we MAY get back to normal.

Re: Children At Christmas Time - 12/30/05 08:32 AM

I will pray for a grandchild for you, too. They're great!! Mine is 2 and of course, smart and adorable!!

Re: Children At Christmas Time - 12/30/05 08:45 AM

"Mine is 2 and of course, smart and adorable!!"...

I am sure gorgeous fits in there as well Bluebird!! You are so fortunate!!!...Sorry to hear that your daughter is sick now too...I bet she is thanking God that she has her Mommy right there with her to give comfort...thanks for your prayers...you are so sweet to me...

Re: Children At Christmas Time - 12/29/05 09:08 PM

Well yeah, he's gorgeous!! Blonde hair, big blue eyes. Doesn't look like me!!
My SIL is taking care of her right now. She did the same for him when he had it 2 nights before Christmas.
I'm guessing you are Catholic, since you mentioned the novena. What's the name of your church?

Re: Children At Christmas Time - 12/29/05 09:19 PM

oh my Gosh...He sounds like an angel!!! Yes...I'm a Catholic...we belong to the Parish of Sts. Peter and Paul in West Chester PA and also are registered members of another parish in New Jersey where we spend alot of time called Maris Stella...in fact...my third child was 12 weeks premature and very sick for awhile after her birth...we were going to name her Catherine but with her rocky start my husband suggested that we name her Marisa after our church down the shore...because our kids were always so healthy and happy at the beach and we thought perhaps this would give her little fragile body a boost...almost as soon as the hopital priest baptized her Marisa she began to gain weight quickly and they removed the feeding tube and she went on to be a healthy, happy little girl...my devotion to our Blessed Mother and to her Mother, St.Anne has been a lifelong way for me... [Smile]

Re: Children At Christmas Time - 12/29/05 09:27 PM

That's a beautiful story!! My son that had surgery, was also baptized at the hospital. No one thought he'd make it.
I consecrated myself to Mary almost 10 years ago but had been neglecting that. We had a missionary at our church about 3 weeks ago and I have renewed my devotion to her. I am reading Hail, Holy Queen by St. Alphonse Ligouri. I made my first communion on the 50th. anniversary of Our Lady of Fatima. It's so fascinating to study her in relation to the Old Testament. There's a lot there.

Re: Children At Christmas Time - 12/29/05 09:30 PM

BTW - I like the name of your church. My 6 yr old's middle name is Peter and my 8 yr old's middle name is Paul!
Ours is Immaculate Heart of Mary. We have an awesome priest!! I feel so blessed.
Posted by: LuckyLady

Re: Children At Christmas Time - 12/29/05 11:05 PM

There are no young children in our family. Our youngest is 27 and when we have a family celebration there are a total of only 9. I really found myself reminicing this holiday; it was difficult getting in the spirit. My own thought was to not decorate, but after Thanksgiving my sweet husband came in dragging the tree behind him. He not only did that, but started to do his own decorating. At that point, I felt the need to assist. I thank God every day for the wonderful man He brought into my life. LL

Re: Children At Christmas Time - 12/30/05 05:33 AM

Bluebird...I love that 2 of your sons share the name of my Parish..I am going to light a candle for each of them this Sunday...You are lucky to have an "awesome Priest"...our present priest...well...not so awesome...but he is up in years and so we have hope... [Smile] ...continue to honor Mary our Mother...what a role model she is and such a comfort to us all......

Re: Children At Christmas Time - 12/30/05 05:35 AM

LL...how wonderful for you that you can realize how lucky you are to be married to a "sweet husband"...keep Thanking God for that gift!!!
Posted by: yepthatsme2

Re: Children At Christmas Time - 12/30/05 07:44 PM

LuckyLady..I also had a difficult time getting into the Christmas spirit this year.
I made no attempt to put up the tree. My daughter called one day to ask if the tree was up, if not she wanted to open gifts at her house. Days following our conversation, my eldest son 29, unpacks the Christmas boxes and decorates the tree (He has never ever done that before).
God pulled on my heart right then...and filled me with the Christmas spirit.

Re: Children At Christmas Time - 12/30/05 07:54 PM

Brenda, I was experiencing some Christmas lethargy this year too. I really enjoyed the quietness of Advent, and put up the simplest display of just candles surrounding the nativity scene (I called it "Light and Love", which kept Lynnie and the rest of my Boomer sisters close to thought and heart throughout the season). It was very peaceful and I've been soaking in the lovely serenity of those visuals.

But when it came time to put up the tree, I didn't want to. It felt too "cluttered", visually noisy. But hubby helped (first time ever) and that helped make it more joyous.

But I'm like Ladybug (I think it was Ladybug who mentioned this somewhere else), just the thought now of having to take it all down and pack it all away is so exhausting. I'll leave my candles and nativity scene up for awhile longer, but I can't wait to get that tree down this year.

Re: Children At Christmas Time - 12/31/05 08:22 AM

Yes, the tree sits behind me, I know I'll have to take it down...after the New Year rings.
Several years ago...I didn't take it down, it was still up in July when my brother came to visit, and through out the rest of the year.
Every person that came to the house mentioned the Christmas tree.

I relate to the "cluttered, visually noisy".
Not only for the tree...

Re: Children At Christmas Time - 12/31/05 08:43 AM

Putting up the Christmas tree is such a huge pain in the neck, but after I get started, I always love it. Every year I do it differently.

This year, I had roses and butterflies. I bought a ton of roses on sale and kind of stuffed them in the tree. I saw the butterflies at a specialty store but they cost a fortune so I figured I could make them. Well, it took forever and made a terrible mess, but they were fabulous and the tree looked great. And it was really different.

One year my oldest daughter was sick and couldn't travel for Christmas. She didn't get here until Easter so I kept the tree up (fake of course-is there any other kind?) I added small stuffed animals and pastel ribbon. We had an Easter tree and a big party. It was great.

My Mom is a major Christmas nut like me. But this year she had been ill near Christmas and seemed depressed. She wasn't planning to put a tree up at all. It seemed so sad to me, so I found a pre-lit red glitter tree that just unfolded and surprised her with it.

It needed no ornaments and was so pretty. She loved it. It got her going. She dug out all the nativity stuff and really got in the spirit.

A friend is visiting from New Mexico. Her husband has cancer and she has had a terrible year. She came to care for her parents who have also been ill. She seemed just too tired and depressed to celebrate Christmas. I took her a pre-lit tree and some Christmas lights and presents too. (I fell for those pre-lit glittery Christmas trees). I think it got her in the spirit too. And it made me happy.

Well, that's all the Christmas tree stories I know for this year. Sorry it was long.

smile

Re: Children At Christmas Time - 12/30/05 09:07 PM

What a great daughter and fantastic friend.
Sounds like God was at work within you, have to "smile" with love at his work.

Re: Children At Christmas Time - 12/31/05 12:49 AM

Smile, you are such a thoughtful person! My best friend Kate did something like that for me the Christmas I was severely depressed (and very poor). She arrived at my dark, dingy mouse-infested (very un-Christmassy) apartment with a small tree, miniature lights and ornaments, and hot chocolate. We spent a wonderful time decorating the tree together.

It was such a gift, not the tree itself, but the entire experience of such faithful friendship.

Re: Children At Christmas Time - 12/31/05 02:58 AM

When my kids were young they always seemed to know of at least one family who was truly in need at Christmas. If they didn't have a tree, we would get them a fake one with lights and decorations. We would get food for Christmas dinner and presents that we would wrap up with cards saying they were from the others in the family. Then we would put it all on their doorstep one night before Christmas. We would ring the bell and rush away. It was such fun.

That was at a time when we hardly had money for our own Christmas, but we never missed what we spent on those little anonymous surprises. My kids still remember those times.

Nowadays, we contribute to our church and other charities, but it seems like we don't know very many people who are truly in need any more. I was so blessed to do something for my friend and my mother this year. Welfare and organized charities are certainly important, but it seems as if they kind of take some of the blessings away from us as individuals. Seems like everyone is blessed when we help each other out.

Just some thoughts.

smile

[ December 30, 2005, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

Re: Children At Christmas Time - 12/31/05 07:40 AM

Well See!

Christmas Spirit does exist ! In all of us, actually. You KNOW I had a tough time this Christmas. And I too, was thinking about the tree and all the boxes and boxes of ornaments, etc.

But one day it was snowing in Boise as I passed a tree lot. (Have always had a real tree, but, man, they're expensive these days....) And the sign said $12.50 and up. What a deal! So I turned right and 15 minutes later, the Charlie Brownest tree ever was in my back seat. Standing 7 ft. tall tho'!!! I set it up and put lights on. But when I started to hang the ornaments, they all SLID OFF! Kept rehanging and rehanging...finally, most of them stuck. For a day or two.... I was glad I did tho'.

Next year, well, things just gotta' change, that's all.

Searcher

Re: Children At Christmas Time - 12/31/05 07:50 AM

Smile!!!!

You sweet pea you! We are kindred spirits, as our little family used to adopt a family at Christmas (in secret), and do the ring-and-run thing too !! I thought that was the very best thing - and so did the kids. We would hide behind bushes and watch as the family would come out and find presents!!

Yeah, too bad for us these days, but I AM happy those families aren't hurting as badly......Well, I know plenty are, but, there really are a number of groups, etc. that help out now, when in by-gone days, they weren't there.

Re: Children At Christmas Time - 12/31/05 07:56 AM

What is it about the tree?

I can be in the scroogiest mood in the world and the moment I get the tree up I turn into the biggest Santa on the planet.

I'm glad you found that tree searcher. I hope your Christmas was beautiful and your New Year is full of joy.

smile

Re: Children At Christmas Time - 12/31/05 08:02 AM

Thanks, Smile.

Re: Children At Christmas Time - 01/01/06 03:01 AM

Smilinize and searcher, you are two sweet ladies!

What a wonderful example to your children as well!
God will surely bless you for it and watch over your own family!