Why don't boys know how to....? - 11/08/05 06:13 AM

I have 6 sons of various ages. I want to know why boys don't know how to:

Flush a toliet
Hang up a wet towel
Slide a chair under a table
Put dirty dishes in the sink
Get dirty socks in the hamper
Put a cap on a marker

I also would like to know why they leave 5 pieces of cereal in a box, two drops of juice in a bottle and no gas in the tank of any vehicle.
Posted by: flipperjo

Re: Why don't boys know how to....? - 11/08/05 06:27 AM

i have 2 sons, ages 27 and 22. i, too, have the same questions. when you get some answers, please let me know!
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Why don't boys know how to....? - 11/08/05 06:31 AM

Oh honey, I have that answer...

Because they don't have to....

Think about it..........

JJ
Posted by: Bluebird

Re: Why don't boys know how to....? - 11/08/05 06:55 AM

I know, because mommy will do it...guilty as charged...
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Why don't boys know how to....? - 11/08/05 07:03 AM

Same here. I kept saying that to Daddy one day... "why do they yada...yada...yada..." and he said, "because they can." I've never forgotten it. Course that didn't stop me from doing it all for them...

Guilty... and I wouldn't change a thing.

JJ
Posted by: Searcher

Re: Why don't boys know how to....? - 11/08/05 08:06 AM

Whatsamatta with all of us?

I only have one son, but embodies all of the above. And I SWORE MY son would be different!!I was going to raise him so naturally he would be sensitive, caring, loving, willing to talk and speak of his "feelings". Love to shop, decorate the house, and cuddle with his girlfriends (without it leading to "you KNOW"). But then I realized I was thinking about a gay guy - "not that there's anything wrong with that"...... LOL.
(now, you people, I would love him anyway, gay or not;, I am truly not "phobic" so I don't need a thousand emails - LOL again)

Here's where I found to be the trouble. They have friends. Who have dads. And somewhere along the way, the friends and the dads get one-up on us females. And they're in it together - I think it's premeditated not-lift-the-toilet-seat-peeing behavior. Only to be eradicated by intense therapy of the Mother Kind, I MEAN intense...not letting up for ONE minute!!! But you know, we're weak....and they can just be sooo cute!
Posted by: Danita

Re: Why don't boys know how to....? - 11/08/05 09:21 AM

I have a sun (see what I mean) that doesn't leave the toilet seat up, and who cooks his own food. He's a good bean.

Now, he won't clean his room, he only brings down dishes when he is threatened within an inch of his life, and he isn't particularly helpful around the house.

So, somehow he has some good qualities. My husband is a type "a" "anal" kind of guy. He gets mad at ME for not putting the paper on the roll...for not getting the dishes down...etc, etc, etc.

d.
Posted by: Searcher

Re: Why don't boys know how to....? - 11/08/05 11:19 AM

Danita,

You're supposed to be in bed!

Re: Why don't boys know how to....? - 11/08/05 06:13 PM

do YOU know something that I don't know? lol!

Danita

(p.s. it was only 10:00 when I wrote this !)
Posted by: NHJackie

Re: Why don't boys know how to....? - 11/09/05 01:56 AM

My son was the worst slob in the world until he went out to live on his own. Now he's really neat. He even folds his own laundry when he's home and does a better job than I ever could.

Now if his father would just learn from his son. LOL
Posted by: Daisygirl

Re: Why don't boys know how to....? - 11/09/05 04:04 AM

My son was a horrible slob and after he was in high school, i just kept his BR door shut. Since he's been married, he's shaped up a lot - or maybe his wife picks up after him. He does help her with laundry and cooking.

After he moved in with his wife, I stopped in and caught him cutting out coupons from the paper - it was all I could do to keep from cracking up! I seemed like 2 weeks before, he couldn't manage to pick up his own socks.

Daisygirl

Re: Why don't boys know how to....? - 11/09/05 07:31 AM

jj, you are right, although i quit doing a lot of things for them in high school. i got sick of walking on the clothes i had just washed and folded so they had to start doing their own laundry. i quit cleaning their rooms, too. it's not that i never tried to teach them how to clean up after themselves, they just didn't listen and they always worked outside with their dad so much (dairy farm) that i would end up feeling sorry for them and do things they should have been doing.

Re: Why don't boys know how to....? - 11/09/05 07:32 AM

oh, yeah - they both turned out to be wonderful, caring young men so the slob part i can live with!
Posted by: Fiftyandfine

Re: Why don't boys know how to....? - 11/10/05 08:22 AM

I grew up during "Women's Lib" so my son and daughter were raised as equally as I could, but I noticed that once my son got married, he let his wife start taking over all the chores. It infuriated me! Well, once their kids were born, and now that his wife is ill, I notice that my son has slipped back into taking care of things as if he had never taken that little break, courtesy of his wife.
I think it lends creedence to the theory that they fall into "let somebody else clean up after me" simply because they can. Which means, ladies, that those of us who continue to facilitate these behaviors are our own worst enemy. [Roll Eyes]
Posted by: NHJackie

Re: Why don't boys know how to....? - 11/09/05 09:53 PM

I have a son and a daughter. Both were equal oportunity slobs. [Big Grin]

Re: Why don't boys know how to....? - 11/09/05 10:04 PM

LOL [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posted by: TVC15

Re: Why don't boys know how to....? - 11/09/05 10:34 PM

Now that my oldest has his own place, he's much neater when he visits us.
Now if I could only get the 15 year old to get his own place........
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Why don't boys know how to....? - 11/10/05 04:23 AM

My eldest son has raised with his wife, her two kids and their child together. My son is the cook, the lauderer, the house keeper and the yardsman. Besides working a full time job...He is a clean freak, literally and she has learned to just let him do it. He credits me with being the one who taught him all this cleanliness...WELL let me tell you when he was living at home with me, he was the messiest person alive. Old food cans and pizza boxes molding under his bed, socks so dirty they stood up all alone, and those gym shoes are a story in and of themselves. So exactly when did this strange man dispose of my real son, and who is this guy????? [Eek!]

Re: Why don't boys know how to....? - 11/10/05 04:29 AM

That's the "who are you and what have you done with my son??" line I give to mine when they do something out of character - in other words...human!
Posted by: Lilac Butterfly

Re: Why don't boys know how to....? - 11/10/05 08:26 AM

I raised 2 sons. I MADE them make their beds, pick up their dirty clothes if they wanted them washed, put down the toilet seat, learn to cook and do their own laundry (when they were old enough. They started washing dishes when they were 7 years old. I never backed down from my "rules". Now that they're on their own, they don't do anything!
Posted by: Fiftyandfine

Re: Why don't boys know how to....? - 11/10/05 05:17 PM

All this reminds me of one of the secret reasons we bought a four level "hangs off the side of the mountain" home, when my kids were teens. Nobody has ever admitted to it, but I KNOW part of the appeal was that our kids had an upper level all to themselves, including an open loft area, a shared bathroom, and two bedrooms. I used to tell my kids "I'll be inspecting on Wednesday" (or whatever day was three days from the announcement)and it was always clean when I went up there for inspection. BUT, I also went up there plenty when they weren't aware of it, and oh my gawd, it was a disaster area. I just never allowed my friends to see it, claiming it was the territory of the teens and we had agreed to respect their privacy. I laugh now , because this year my son bought a two-story, where the master and guest rooms are on the main floor, but the kids rooms are upstairs (along with an open family room and individual baths.) I asked him why he bought such a big house and he answered, "Like you don't know!"

Re: Why don't boys know how to....? - 11/10/05 09:20 PM

Lilac, that seems to be the way it goes. My MIL made her kids pick up after themselves and now they are all slobs!!! My mom used to do all the housework and my bros and I are ALL neat and organized!!! Bizarro world.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Why don't boys know how to....? - 11/10/05 09:25 PM

I have to laugh at this post because I can't figure it out either.

One of my rules is that I liked the first floor to remain orderly. Their rooms can be a mess, but I wanted the living room, dining room, den, porch (my office), and kitchen to look decent. Every day presents a different definition of decent!

Re: Why don't boys know how to....? - 11/10/05 09:37 PM

That's what I do, too, Dotsie. The "common areas" (meaning where guests may see!!)need to stay fairly clean and clutter free. The kids' rooms are their territory.
The different definitions of decent depend on who's defining it and how much time we have to deal with it, right?
Posted by: Stella

Re: Why don't boys know how to....? - 11/12/05 05:14 PM

I raised 3 sons, no girls. They were slobs. Any pity ? But ....my friends with girls say girls may be even worse lol ! [Smile]
Posted by: KAY B

Re: Why don't boys know how to....? - 11/12/05 11:57 PM

My husband is an absolute slob!!! They didn't have a clothes hamper growing up & mine thinks ours is to store things on top of!!!

My old manager was also quite messy!!! We always teased that we were going to call his wife and ask if he's as messy at home!!!

My husband suddenly will need a scrap of paper with the number 2 on it after I throw it out months later!!!!!!!!! [Razz]

Re: Why don't boys know how to....? - 11/13/05 12:18 AM

Kay your husband sounds like mine!! He has gotten better over the years (training, ya know!) but the thing with the scrap of paper hit home!! LOL
Posted by: yepthatsme2

Re: Why don't boys know how to....? - 11/13/05 04:59 AM

Slobs...both of my twins now 25 have the most unimaginable living conditions (their rooms)...you need a toxic chemical suit to even enter.
FYI...they were not raised to be the pigs they have grown to be.

They both reside in the basement, so I just shut the downstairs door...and try not to think to hard about it! [Eek!]
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Why don't boys know how to....? - 11/14/05 08:22 AM

Bluebird, exactly!

Yep, I wonder if they would be so sloppy if they had a place of their own...
Posted by: yepthatsme2

Re: Why don't boys know how to....? - 11/13/05 09:14 PM

I often wondered that myself Dotsie. Time will tell.
Posted by: KAY B

Re: Why don't boys know how to....? - 11/14/05 04:31 AM

Has anyone ever watched the show HOW CLEAN IS YOUR HOUSE? on Lifetime? How a person can live in such conditions....it is really gross!!! I like seeing the place when it's cleaned....most of the times it still looks icky!!! [Embarrassed]
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Why don't boys know how to....? - 11/15/05 03:45 AM

Can you believe some people actually allow anyone in there filthy discusting homes to clean them and on National TV? makes me wonder how fake this show must be or how very stupid and classless these filthy people on it are....

Re: Why don't boys know how to....? - 11/15/05 04:43 AM

Hey,

Watch it...

Our house was featured about a yr ago.

d.
Posted by: Dianne

Re: Why don't boys know how to....? - 11/15/05 07:36 PM

Are you serious, Danita?

Re: Why don't boys know how to....? - 11/15/05 07:59 PM

Would you think I'm stupid and classless if It was true?

D.
Posted by: Dianne

Re: Why don't boys know how to....? - 11/16/05 08:55 AM

No, I'd just be interested in what happened if it was true.

Re: Why don't boys know how to....? - 11/15/05 09:22 PM

nahhhh, just being a tease!

My husband is a former Marine -- I HAVE to keep the house ship shape! LOL!

Danita