cold cruel world?

Posted by: Dotsie

cold cruel world? - 01/16/05 03:50 AM

It can be a cold cruel world, but I've always chosen not to focus on that.

Last night reality hit us smack in the face when our son called us from the front of the house and said he was okay, but the police wanted to talk to us.

My sixteen year old son and his friend were robbed one block from our home. [Mad] Four guys with ski masks, hoodies, and two GUNS robbed them of their $20.00, license, credit card, and two skate boards. [Frown] Pathetic, huh?

When I called this morning to see if they had been caught, the officer shared they were still on the run...AND they were the same suspects involved in robberies north and east of us. [Mad]

Every day I pray the Prayer of Jabez for my family. I'm convinced God answered my prayer last night by Keeping His hand on my son and keeping him from evil.

I always wonder what might have happened had I not prayed.
Posted by: smilinize

Re: cold cruel world? - 01/16/05 04:00 AM

Oh my goodness Dotsie. How terrifying. I hope your son and everyone is okay. You must have been frightened half to death.
Praying for the whole family.
smile
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: cold cruel world? - 01/16/05 04:29 AM

Oh Dotsie. My gut was in a knot the whole time I was reading this. It just makes me sick. I am relieved to hear that they are okay, but I can tell you from first hand experience that lot of different feelings and questions run thru your mind when this type of thing happens. Anger...the inability to comprehend shear meanness, fear, especially fear. All of a sudden you start thinking about what COULD have happened and you become afraid of everything around you. Please make sure your son talks about this and gets it out in the open.

For years after I was robbed (while in the house asleep) I couldn't even answered my front door without being afraid. Sometimes I just cannot believe what this world has become. And for 20.00 and some skateboards?

Give the boys a hug from the Queen. I am so happy to hear they are unharmed.

JJ
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: cold cruel world? - 01/16/05 05:46 AM

How awful, I swear none of us is safe anywhere anymore. I feel safer in my home because these little dogs make so much racket and warn me when anyone is around and they I think they can hear a gnat fart,he he!!! I keep a gun on the table next to me when watching TV and another under my pillow. We have had instances not too far from here of two or three men kicking in a front door. I also always keep my porch lights lit, I'll pay the few dollars more on the electric bill. I'm so glad those robbers weren't maniacs that shot first and take what they want. God Bless those boys, I'm glad they are alright. [Big Grin]
Posted by: Sherri

Re: cold cruel world? - 01/16/05 06:21 AM

Chatty don't worry about your porch light, they only are pennies a day, not anything that would lead to a bigger light bill. I work for the power company [Wink]

Re: cold cruel world? - 01/16/05 09:18 AM

Dotsie, I'm very happy that your son is not physically harmed too. I'll pray that he recovers peacefully. Your nerves are probably rattled more since you know and have heard all of the things that can go wrong during such crime. Your family will be in prayer.

Sheree
Posted by: DonnaJ

Re: cold cruel world? - 01/16/05 10:19 AM

I'm so sorry your son had to go through that. It's like being dropped in a vat of ice water. I held my breath as I read your post, and my heart beat a little faster. I have a son, too, and I pray for God's protection over him 24/7 as I know you do for your son. I'm thankful he wasn't hurt - at least physically. You'll need to make sure he keeps talking, I imagine, so he doesn't stress over what could have happened. That's what keeps you up nights. (I speak from having been a victim of a robbery as well.) God bless you, and hug that boy extra tight.

Re: cold cruel world? - 01/16/05 10:20 AM

JJ, I understand your fear. I was asleep upstairs on the other end of the house while some guys tricked the burglar alarm, broke into the garage, wrecked my lawn mower upside down in the creek, and stole my SUV.
I slept through the entire thing. The next day when I went to the gargage to get in the car, it was gone. My little Mercedes convertible was still in the garage and I thought, "Gee, I must have parked the SUV outside. I opened the garage door and the car wasn't there. I thought, "Did I come home with someone else last night?" I was clueless. Finally I had to face it. I called the police and they took a report.
I thought it was this guy who had stalked me forever and was almost thankful that maybe I could finally get him in jail. Almost immediately they found the car wrecked and sure enough it was who I thought. He had charged a couple thousand dollars to my credit cards which were in my purse in the car. I could never get him arrested for following me everywhere, breaking into my house and about driving me insane. But when he stole the car, at last they put him away for theft and all the other stuff. Amen!
Dan threatened him and he's slowed down a lot, but he's out now and still calls me long distance thank heaven. It's weird, but I'm no longer afraid. Just think he's an idiot and have a weird moment sometimes.
smile
Posted by: chickadee

Re: cold cruel world? - 01/16/05 11:30 PM

I am amazed that so many of you have had these things happen to you. Dotsie, I pray for your son and his friend to put this behind them.

I came from a little Town called "Hearts Delight", in Canada that lives up to its name.In a town of 856 people who all know each other on a first name basis, practically every family owns a firearm. I had mine and a moose (for food) license to boot. The crime rate is next to nil. Maybe if Joe's brother owes him 20 bucks, Joe might steal his BBQ Grill in the wee hours of the morning.(of course bro would steal it back the next weekend)

Here in Oklahoma I have 2 hand guns, and like Chatty I keep them very close. I don't know what I'd do if I ever had to use one [Frown] .I am afraid to have it under my pillow. How does one do that?

I can't imagine having someone in my house while I'm sleeping, and even worse, I can't imagine waking up while they're there.

I thank God for Buddy(my little Dog) who has a bark like a German Shepherd and will give me a head start at least.

chickadee

Re: cold cruel world? - 01/17/05 01:43 AM

I have read and even written much to much about home invasions and torture murders. I learned years ago from watching Oprah NEVER let any intruder take you to a second location where they feel more comfortable, safer and can take their time with you. I pity the person that ever breaks into this house, I will not hesitate to shot them (many times.) I don't want some creep wounded and years later getting out of prison and coming after me. When its me or him, it ain't gonna be me unless I'm dead...Ladies stay safe, be watchful of your surroundings every minute and trust no one at your door. It's a sad way to live but its the way things are. I also have a .25 under the seat in my car.

Re: cold cruel world? - 01/17/05 02:39 AM

Thanks for all your prayers and concerns. Fortunately, my son has a full life and isn't dwelling on this. I do believe it will make him more aware of his surroundings when he is out at night which is a good thing.

When I was in fifth grade a man tried to get me in the car with him. I took off running, arrived home, mom called the police, they arrived and told us the man was a suspect in other abductions. In fact, my good friend had gotten in the car with him the week before while on the way home from my house. [Eek!] No one knew. Her mother didn't call my mother. She didn't tell me. Nothing. It was the sixties and I guess we didn't talk aobut stuff like that. Stupid. The only hint may have been the principal's announcement to be careful while walking home...and stay away from strangers. That's a far cry from learning my friend had gotten in the car with the guy while he drove her all around town and put his hand under her shirt. Poor thing! We both had to view creepy lineups at the police department. To this day the flag still goes up when people stop to ask directions, or walk behind me.

[ January 16, 2005, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

Re: cold cruel world? - 01/17/05 03:01 AM

Dots,
That situation when you were small is so frithgening. How awful. Thank heaven you had enough sense to run home.

Kids are so invincible. Your son is probably unfazed by the whole incident. Though being concerned is certainly appropriate, I just hope you are not overly worried.

You're still in my prayers.
smile

Re: cold cruel world? - 01/17/05 03:45 AM

And if he's hanging in the window, my Dad told me, drag him all the way in before you shoot, not when he's running away from you or you'll be charged [Big Grin] .
Chatty, I'm with you. Better to have 12 judge me than 6 carry me.
I wonder if the law allows me to carry a "self defense weapon" in my car?

chickadee

[ January 16, 2005, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: chickadee ]

Re: cold cruel world? - 01/17/05 05:42 AM

I didn't think I'd be back to this post so soon, but we got the news shortly after I posted here.

My step-sons (who are with me right now) Mom's best friend,48,was found face down in her bathtub,yesterday evening, apparently murdered. She lived alone and always kept her door locked.
I just don't know...

chickadee

Re: cold cruel world? - 01/17/05 07:31 PM

chick, how tragic. My gracious. How well did your sons know her?

[ January 17, 2005, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

Re: cold cruel world? - 01/18/05 05:03 AM

Good Lord, that poor woman, see what I mean? People poo hoo having guns but maybe if they had one at least they could defend themselves or their children. If the gun is in plain sight on the seat in your car thats okay, its not considered a concealed weapon....If you ladies are afraid of guns when your out at night keep a box cutter, they're small and very sharp in your hand when walking to or from anywhere. If a perp grabs you use it on whatever part of his anatomy you can reach, cut hard and deep and run like crazy. [Smile] Hopefully he'll bleed to death but at any rate be easier to catch when looking for medical help...... [Mad]
Posted by: Maggie

Re: cold cruel world? - 01/18/05 05:54 AM

Hi,
After reading all the posts all I can think of is Oh My Gosh. Will be praying for all of you.
Chickadee how are your stepsons doing?
Dotsie, hope you are doing better by now.
Maggie

Re: cold cruel world? - 01/19/05 12:12 AM

Thank you all for asking, I believe they are doing Ok. I think they are feeling sad for their dear Mom. I am praying for them and her often.

Any news on the culprits your way Dotsie?

chickadee
Posted by: Looking Up

Re: cold cruel world? - 01/19/05 03:56 AM

Dotsie, thank God things turned out okay for your son. I know as a mother you can't help but think of the "what ifs."

I can relate to your story about when you were a young girl. When I was in grammar school, studying for a church ritual, the nuns at the Catholic Church told us if we went to church the first Thursday of every month for a year, we were guaranteed to go to Heaven. Being so young and innocent, I thought I would do that, because, boy, I wanted to be guaranteed to go to Heaven! So every first Thursday, me and a friend would get up very early and walk to church, carrying our school books to go to school right afterwards. I can only imagine now how early that must have been for us to attend a full mass before school even started. Geez!

In any event, one particular morning, my friend could not attend, so I went alone. As I was walking the 6-10 blocks to church alone, I notice a car following rather slowly. Every time there was a space near the curb, he would cruise along the curb. When a car was in the way, he would move out. This went on for blocks and being as young as I was, I knew something was wrong, but wasn't sure of what. As I approached the corner to cross the street to the church, the man swung his car in front of me making a turn. I looked in and saw his hand moving, although being so young, I hadn't a clue as to what he was doing.

Dummy me goes to church and sees that I am late. I don't want the nuns to be mad at me, so I leave. I was fine the whole walk home until a block before my house. All of a sudden, the car appeared again and raced across the road in front of me. It frightened me so and I ran as fast as I could. Although I did a lot of dumb things that morning, I had the presence of mind not to go into my own house as I did not want this man to know where I lived. Instead, I went into my friend's house and stayed there.

Finally, I got home and told my parents. When my mother asked me what the man was doing, I showed her an up and down motion. She was horrified! It took me until my teen years to figure out what he was doing.

The police came, and I think they eventually found the man. In any event, it is something I have never forgotten. And I have always, to this day, thanked God for protecting me in my innocence. Needless to say, I never did the morning mass thing any more. In fact, I don't even go to a Catholic Church anymore preferring a Unity church instead.

Chickadee...what a horrible thing to happen. How sad and tragic. I can only imagine how everyone is feeling and my heartfelt prayers go out to all.

Re: cold cruel world? - 01/20/05 01:43 AM

Lookingup, I have to laugh becasue being the good little Catholic school girl that I was, I wouldn't have known what he was doing either. We were so sheltered...and I'm not so sure that was a bad thing.

I think any time something like this happens to us we become more aware of our surroundings. In this day and age we need that awareness. [Wink]

The guys still haven't been caught. The police have called my son to ask a few more questions, but that's all we know at this point.

[ January 19, 2005, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]