winding down

Posted by: Dotsie

winding down - 05/04/04 05:05 PM

I love this time of year when the school assignments are becoming less intense, the sun is shining, and the air seems lighter in the house.

We are beginning to think Summer. It's a little early, but definitely on the way. You can tell it in the kid's spirits. A little less focused on work and more on having fun. [Big Grin]

I like it. Does the atmoshpere change at your house this time of year? Does it has to do with the school year nearing an end, or weather?
Posted by: Maggie

Re: winding down - 05/04/04 10:32 PM

Ours is the weather but it seems like everything lightens up in the spring. Today its raining but we've had four gorgeous days 65-80 degrees. No one is complaining today. Its enough to water the garden that my husband has taken over. Its fun to watch. I do pull weeds once in a while and help out. Am taking pictures and will make a little scrapbook for him.
Maggie
Posted by: Agate

Re: winding down - 05/05/04 02:21 AM

I don't know if I'm getting that free wheeling feeling. The battle lines are being drawn as I keep nagging my son to get started on filling out some job applications. He's never had a job before and seems to think it won't be that hard to find just the right job that he wants, which is being a framer for an art store.

Reality check!

Re: winding down - 05/05/04 04:52 PM

Agate, teens and summer jobs. I have 3 working at that.

My oldest has a one day internship and is trying to get a full time job, but he has 3 different periods of 5 days when he can't work.

My daughter's job just rolls over to the summer. [Big Grin]

And the youngest wants to work, but needs to take drivers ed and also has 3 periods of 5 days that he can't work.

What is the perfect summer job? [Roll Eyes]
Posted by: Agate

Re: winding down - 05/07/04 04:47 AM

The perfect summer job would be one where you are working with your friends and can spend most of your time socializing. I've always thought working at a coffee shop would be great. All the coffee you can drink and it's got to be just like the place on "Friends." Or a job at a clothing store where you can get a discount and know when something you like is going to go on sale. Better yet, a job at a book store. Ooooohhhh...
Posted by: smilinize

Re: winding down - 05/07/04 01:43 PM

I wonder what we all did as our first paid summer jobs. My first summer job was working in the fields rented by truck farmers from my granny.

All the teenagers in the area loaded watermelon into trucks all summer. It miserably hot and exhausting work, but so much fun. We ate watermelon and danced to rock and roll from the truck radios during lunch hours. After work we went swimming in the river. We were as strong as horses and as brown as toast by summers end.

Later I worked as a secretary in a tile shop and at a five and ten cent store ("five and ten cent store", boy is that a flash back)
smile
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: winding down - 05/07/04 01:53 PM

Skating rink. I will never forget my time spent there either. I took my money each week and would put some outfit on lay-a-way, and then the following week after I got paid, I got it out. I only made 12.00/weekend. Can you imagine? But you know what? You could get a pretty darn good outfit for around 20.00 back in the dark ages...and yes, for all those smarty pants out there, we did have TV and cars back then...hmp!

Re: winding down - 05/07/04 04:24 PM

Smile, great topic. I think we should move this out and have it's own post so everyone can see the topic. I'm goign to do that. Do you mind telling about your first job again in that forum?