Good news about my son

Posted by: NHJackie

Good news about my son - 10/30/05 10:30 PM

I hope I'm in the right place for this. Our 27 year old son, who has always made us proud just did it again by landing a job with a top notch arcitectural firm in NYC. This will be his first "real" job since completing his degree.

Did I come to the right place to brag about him? [Smile]
Posted by: Dianne

Re: Good news about my son - 10/30/05 11:49 PM

With this kind of great news, you could post it anywhere! That's wonderful. You must be so proud.
Posted by: chickadee

Re: Good news about my son - 10/31/05 12:07 AM

Sounds like a great job! Congratulations to him and of course you, Mom, for his raising!
chickadee
Posted by: DallasGal

Re: Good news about my son - 10/31/05 02:01 AM

Great job Jackie - congratulations!
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Good news about my son - 10/31/05 03:27 AM

Our kids accomplishments in this goofy world we live in are something wonderful to crow about whenever to whomever will listen. Good for him and thanks for sharing....We so often only hear about the bad things our youth do....

Re: Good news about my son - 10/31/05 04:30 AM

Thanks, everyone. We are very pleased for him. We are blessed that our children have never done anything to really disappoint us or cause us pain.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Good news about my son - 10/31/05 07:04 PM

Jackie, you are blessed. Congrats. How old is your son? Will you get to visit him in the big city?

Re: Good news about my son - 11/01/05 08:46 AM

Ed is 27. His sister is 29. Both of them are living in the NYC area now and we plan to visit as often as we can. They will be home for Thanksgiving at my mother's, where all of us will celebrate together with my brother and his West Coast family.

Christmas for the 4 of us in NY is a distinct possibility. Ed should be in his new apartment by then, and I'm sure will want to see that and take in the city lights as well. Such magic!

Re: Good news about my son - 10/31/05 09:14 PM

NYC is so beautiful during Christmas. It has such a beautiful spirit then. Gosh, I'm almost jealous reading about your holidays! Our mingled family just isn't mingling so being together, all in one room, doesn't seem like a possibility unless I provide boxing gloves and a padded room.

Re: Good news about my son - 11/01/05 05:12 AM

Hubby's family is that way, which is why the 4 of us will be spending Christmas in NY. I treasure the wonderful thanksgivings our mom makes for us every year. I'm not sure how she still does it!

My s-i-l Ann from LA have already pledged to keep the family together. Although we'll probably have to go out to dinner, since there's no way we'll all fit in this tiny apartment, LOL
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Good news about my son - 11/01/05 09:07 AM

Jackie, your pride and love shine through. Of course, this is the place to post it [Wink]

Congrats to your son and you.
Posted by: Sherri

Re: Good news about my son - 11/01/05 07:25 PM

I'm so envious of your trip to NYC. I visited once and fell in love with it.

Congratulations to you and your son as well.

Re: Good news about my son - 11/01/05 09:07 PM

I love it, too. Now that both our kids live there, we have more excuses to visit.

Re: Good news about my son - 11/02/05 07:59 PM

Dianne, didn't you go to PAris last Christmas? Any big plans for the holidays this year?

Jackie, Christmas in NY sounds lovely, especially if you are with your family. Have you seen the Christmas SHow at Radio City Music Hall?
My husband and son are looking at 3 colleges soon. All are a half hour outside of NY City. Who knows, if he ends up there, maybe we can meet there one day.

Re: Good news about my son - 11/02/05 09:21 PM

We're going to Vegas this year but three days after Christmas. I'm gonna give Chatty a call and take her to lunch!

My oldest son called and they are coming here a week before Christmas. I'm so happy! [Smile]

We chose Vegas because I can't fly for long periods due to my neck. It's agony. Vegas isn't that long of a flight. I might try Paris sometime next year.

Re: Good news about my son - 11/02/05 09:34 PM

Dotsie,I've seen the show at Radio City, but I'm not sure the kids have. Laura has learned all the ins and outs of getting cheap tickets to shows. Of course, most of them nobody ever heard of. LOL

My daughter Laura is a grad student at SUNY at StoneyBrook on Long Island. Where is your son applying?

Re: Good news about my son - 11/03/05 04:42 AM

The Radio City Christmas program comes to Nashville. It's great. Good show for all age groups.

Re: Good news about my son - 11/04/05 05:48 AM

Yes, we took the kids to see it one year. Just thinking about being in that city is exciting.

He is applying to SUNY at Purchase, Fordham, Hofstra, Fairleigh Dickinson, and Florida State. He is a little filmmaker. Loves it! Thanks for asking.

Dianne, please take pictures of you and chatty together.
Posted by: flipperjo

Re: Good news about my son - 11/04/05 10:41 PM

Jackie, you have every reason to be proud of your son - it must give you a great sense of accomplishment to see how successfully he has flown from your nest!

Re: Good news about my son - 11/05/05 06:46 PM

Thanks, flipperjo,

I'm proud of both my kids. Their college and grad school years included having to deal with both of their parents' cancer treatment. We could not have made it without their support.

They're wonderful kids and deserve all the success they've worked so hard for.

Re: Good news about my son - 11/05/05 10:12 PM

NHJ, wow, that must have been hard on them. Were they both away at the time?
Posted by: Searcher

Re: Good news about my son - 11/05/05 10:31 PM

NHJackie,

You must have been a great mom to raise such grounded children.
Search

Re: Good news about my son - 11/06/05 05:24 AM

Dotsie,

It was very hard on them. Laura had been to school for 2 years and Ed was just starting his freshman year when Chuck was diagnosed for the first time and give 3 to 6 months to live. We encouraged them to continue with their lives, and they did, although I know it took a toll on both of them. Of course, it helped that their stubborn father faked the doctors out and is still around 7 years later.

Without going into detail here, I was treated sucessfully for my cancer 4 years ago. Both kids were home for my surgery, which was only a couple of weeks after my father died. Somehow we made it through all of this.

Chuck had surgery for a second cancer, came through it sucessfully and then nearly sucombed to a post sergical infection, which had him back in the hospital 4 times. Laura ended up taking a year off from grad school because she was dealing with all this, but Ed managed to finish his architecture degree. We're not sure how.

I'm trying to work up the courage to tell our story over on Our Voices, but haven't quite gotten there yet.

Re: Good news about my son - 11/06/05 05:26 AM

Searcher,

Thanks for the kind words. Chuck and I will take as much credit for producing such terrific kids as anyone will give us. LOL

Re: Good news about my son - 11/06/05 05:44 AM

Wow, you've had some very serious trials. I admire you for being so strong in the face of all of it. You're an inspiration to me!

[ November 05, 2005, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: Dianne ]

Re: Good news about my son - 11/06/05 10:44 PM

Thanks, Dianne. I love it when people tell me that. I haven't always been so wonderful about things, though. This is why I think I need to write about the last few years somewhere. It will heal me, and maybe it can help others in some way.

Re: Good news about my son - 11/07/05 12:02 AM

NHJackie,

My sister's name is Jackie and her husband's name is Chuck. How 'bout that?

Searcher.

Re: Good news about my son - 11/07/05 02:26 AM

Interesting. Good combination, I think. [Smile]

Re: Good news about my son - 11/07/05 06:49 PM

Jackie, thanks for sharing. Isn't it amazing when you look back and consider how you got through all that? By the grace of God and the fellowhip of other believers is how my family tends to manage during rough times. Bless you, and CELEBRATE!

Re: Good news about my son - 11/07/05 10:15 PM

We celebrate life every day.

Re: Good news about my son - 11/08/05 04:37 AM

Yes,

A great combination I am thinking. You know , Jackie always says, we are still together, because when he's down, I make it my business to be up. And when I'm down , he does the same.

They've been married since 1958.

You two are strong together and also are your children.

Searcher

Re: Good news about my son - 11/08/05 05:38 AM

We've had to be strong to get through the stuff life has thrown at us. We keep waiting for the other shoe to fall, knowing full well the one wearing them is a centipede.

A sense of humor helps, too. When Chuck and I are in simultaneously down moods, we try to stay away from each other as much as possible.