Miners in Utah

Posted by: Songbird

Miners in Utah - 08/16/07 01:59 PM

prayer warriors: I'm also praying for the miners and their families. This is so sad. so much time gone by, but we should pray for all involved.
Posted by: Dianne

Re: Miners in Utah - 08/16/07 02:32 PM

Isn't it awful? I have been praying for them and their families.
Posted by: WhatStopsYou

Re: Miners in Utah - 08/16/07 05:05 PM

They actually heard some noise from inside the mine yesterday! Hopes are restored that it is the miners. They are drilling another hole where they heard the sounds and are hoping to reach them and provide them with food and water until they can clear the rubble away and get them out.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the miners and their families.

Darlene
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Miners in Utah - 08/17/07 08:24 AM

Doesn't it seem as though there have been more mining accidents in the last two years, than ever before? Does anyone have a good reason for this? It's so tragic.
Posted by: Edelweiss

Re: Miners in Utah - 08/17/07 08:28 AM

I think mining is one of the worst jobs a human being could ever have. Not only dangerous, it's unhealthy, never mind not seeing daylight all day. My deepest respect goes out to all these hard working men, who sacrifice their lives for our well being.
I don't know how it is in America, but mining accidents happen in Europe on an almost regular basis.
Posted by: Anno

Re: Miners in Utah - 08/17/07 07:33 PM

I have no research behind this statement, but I don't think we have mining accidents on a regular basis.
But, we have had a few big ones lately.

There is no way that I would ever take a job in a mine. I agree, Hannelore, my deepest respect for anyone that would work in a mine.

Again, with little knowledge, I heard that this type of mine is the most dangerous, and seldom used in this country. Anyone know what I am talking about?
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Miners in Utah - 08/17/07 10:46 PM

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse it did, last night 3 rescuers were killed as well trying to save the 6 miners. And 3 others went to area hospitals badly injured.
Dotsie, they said that there has been an abundant increase in underground sysmetic activity in that area. A small quake then followed by many even smaller ones, 27 in all, causing the earth to move and shift. Yesterday there was another one right before those rescuers were lost. They have suspended rescue operations for now.
Our entire earth is zigzagged with millions of fault lines and eventually there is going to be the Quake of the century, and no one knows how much will be destroyed, when or where...
God bless the miners who do such a horrible, dangerous job and for so little too. They are under paid at best and always have been...
Posted by: Dee

Re: Miners in Utah - 08/18/07 02:49 AM

I think the reasons they're having 'bumps' Chatty is because of the pockets they dig out underground and the mountain is reacting to that by falling in on itself. Like they said today there is no amount of support that is going to keep a mountain from collapsing in on itself. That reason alone would make me question doing that for a living. I cannot imagine what those families are going through right now...if that was my Larry down there I would probably lose it big time.
Posted by: gerrbeck

Re: Miners in Utah - 08/18/07 07:21 PM

Dotsie, I'm not sure that there are anymore than there ever, but maybe with such mass media coverage we just hear about them now. I'm with everyone else here, I can't even imagine this kind of work. I heard a blip on the news the other day that when the initial collapse happened the miners were "retreat mining", which is the most dangerous and deadly. I googled and found an article:

Retreat mining is where pillars of coal are used to hold up an area of the mine's roof. When that area is completely mined, the company pulls the pillar and grabs the useful coal, causing an internal collapse.

(As they do this they apparently back out and repeat the process until all the coal is mined.)

A former mine official says it's the most dangerous kind of mining there is.

A federal report says that a coal miner on a pillar recovery section is more than 3 times as likely to be killed in a roof collapse than workers in other parts of the mine.

Between 1992 and 2001 according to a report, 100 miners died in roof collapses, 27 of those deaths happened during retreat mining.

On a personal note, God Bless those rescuers who died trying to rescue their fellow workers and all the others who are still trying.

Re: Miners in Utah - 08/19/07 12:32 PM

The whole story is so tragic. And to think they are doing this work for us.
Posted by: Songbird

Re: Miners in Utah - 08/20/07 03:55 PM

This situation leaves me speechless. I continue to pray for all involved and pray that some lessons are learned, so this doesn't happen to others. Tha families of these miners have gone through so much, with no end in sight! And the impact o their whole community is huge! I pray God comforts them!
Posted by: WhatStopsYou

Re: Miners in Utah - 08/20/07 06:02 PM

It really is tragic. Some of the rescue miners are still in the hospital recovering. The mine owners have pretty much given up hope of finding these men. The families are understandably angry about this. They are still drilling bore holes but don't believe they will find anything. They are no longer trying to dig the men out. Sadly, it will probably become their tomb.

Such a sad, sad thing.

Darlene

Re: Miners in Utah - 08/21/07 02:50 PM

I can't imagine knowing my loved one was under the earth and couldn't berescued. Can you imagine them waiting to have funerals, etc.? This gives me the goose bumps.

Re: Miners in Utah - 08/22/07 02:56 PM

Anne, great point. You make me wonder too. HOpefully, one day we'll be able to say, "They used to send people down to do that."
Posted by: jabber

Dangerous job... - 08/22/07 10:33 PM

Anne 327,
I agree. Retreat mining should be outlawed! I used to think electrical linemen, tower maintenance, highrise construction, policemen, firemen, etc., etc. had difficult jobs. But that retreat mining is unbelievable. There's got to be a better way!
It goes without saying, that our prayers are with the families in this crisis.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Dangerous job... - 08/23/07 09:26 AM

Anne, the answer to your question is MONEY!!!! Sure they have the technology to do this job without men having to risk their very lives, but human labor is "cheap labor" in those parts and thats the answer. Hell, these poor miners can't even get an insurance policy...Those mens families are left with nothing, not one thin dime. But does our government help, NOPE, they would rather spend ours and those miners tax dollars on the illegal aliens families, while our own born in America citizens starve or worse.