odd weather

Posted by: Dotsie

odd weather - 01/14/05 03:14 AM

What the heck is going on with all this odd weather across the country? It has been misty, foggy, raining, and all the other grey stuff that goes with weather for way too long. Today it's 60 some degress in Maryland and more grey.
I can't wiat for the sun to shine for more than two minutes. My eyes need toothpicks to hold them open. [Eek!]
Posted by: Pam Kimmell

Re: odd weather - 01/14/05 04:41 AM

The weather has been weird EVERYWHERE like you said Dotsie - now you aren't that far from me and here in Warrenton today we had 75 degrees and sun - then sky got almost black but it never rained - then sun again! Tomorrow it's going to be a high in the 40s! Mudslides in California, tsunamis in Thailand/Sri Lanka, no snow in Europe when they are usually knee-deep in ski slopes.... makes you wonder doesn't it..... [Confused]
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: odd weather - 01/14/05 05:07 AM

It didn't rain yesterday ... FINALLY! Or today. And it hit 60's. The bad mudslides -- the ones you keep seeing on TV -- are 70 miles away, but we're all under flood watch if it rains again.
Posted by: Lynn

Re: odd weather - 01/14/05 05:22 AM

Anyone out ther from the midwest? Kansas? What is happening with all the snowfall?

How about Utah? Wasn't your state blenketed a few days ago?

Lynn

I am not complainging about the mild weather here in southern PA.

Re: odd weather - 01/14/05 10:58 AM

Have you all taken a look at our weather here in the midwest the last couple of days. 4 days ago we got a foot of snow dumped on us within hours. The next nothing but it was dark grey out, then rain on top of all that snow and high temps that melted most of it yesterday, 40 degrees or better! As we chat, the temp is droppin and supposed to drop to about 20 below 0! God only knows what the wind chill will be for that type of weather. Now, all that melted snow will leave our entires state like an ice skating rink! I'm going to beg my daughter to stay home tomorrow. There will be absolutely tooooo many accidents out there come morning rush hour.

Did anyone see the movie, "Day After Tomorrow?" I heard that the writers present precipitation as a sign of the end of our world according to Revelations. I think I'll check it out now, not that I or anyone can anything about it if it's true, right?
Posted by: TVC15

Re: odd weather - 01/14/05 06:18 PM

We've been unusually warm here for the last 2 weeks, (I'm not complaining) But the cold is coming this weekend and we're supposed to drop down into the 40's. We moved here last year about this time and it was cold then. I'm told that in North Carolina, you never know what type of weather to expect in the winter.

Re: odd weather - 01/15/05 08:13 AM

Lynn, while our friends were skiing in Utah shortly after Christams they got 50 inches of snow in five days! [Eek!]

Meredith, I wondered how close you were to those mudslides. No rain dances!
Posted by: DJ

Re: odd weather - 01/14/05 09:18 PM

Sugaree,
Do you believe in a literal explanation of Revelations, or would you consider a symbolic meaning?

I've heard that there are those who approve of global warming because they believe it'll hasten the destruction of the planet ("the end of the world") and that that would allow Christ to return.

Didn't Jesus speak in parables partly because we don't have vocabulary for the things He was trying to explain?
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: odd weather - 01/15/05 01:16 AM

Imagine the poor people that saved all year for their vacation and left the bad weather in the East and Midwest only to land in Vegas where its rained for 3 weeks now, half the city is impassible by car and some of the smaller towns are gone, washed away lock stock and barrel, people are homeless and its been cold until yesterday when the sun came out a short while and it got up to 56*, today its 59* and the sun comes out every now and then. We are having one avalanche after another 40 miles up the mountain and no one is allowed up there to ski. What an awful mess this is..... [Frown]

Re: odd weather - 01/16/05 12:48 AM

DJ, I could consider it better if I understood both better. Could you elucidate?

Chatty, yes that is terrible! I know so many people that have visited your hometown recently. Actually, my sister just left there about 2wks ago. My aunt and uncle and their grown children all went over from New Jersey as a family vacation up in the mountains there. My mother tried to drive from Cali to visit with them but the roads were closed down. She finally just flew over though.

Well, we've made it down to the negative numbers.
Posted by: Maggie

Re: odd weather - 01/16/05 02:02 AM

Have any of you been watching the Ice Skating Chanpionships held here in Portland, Oregon? The weather there today was awful for we who live here. The roads were closed due to sheets of ice.
They are hoping to open the roads unless it freezes again.
Thank goodness the skaters are used to this kind of weather and showed up early. There is a great bus system from the motels to the Rose Garden rink.
Here where we live its in the forties today.
Maggie

Re: odd weather - 01/23/05 05:03 AM

Took a drive into Overton or what was once Overton, most of it is gone and the roads that are still there are impassible. I wasted the trip for the most part but was able to get to the local gym used asd a shelter with several boxes of food and clothing. Its so sad to see the lost look on some of these people yet the spirit of "fight" is stil there and all are pitching in.... [Roll Eyes]
Posted by: Louisa

Re: odd weather - 01/23/05 06:15 AM

Well, we're in a state of emergency. This is one hell of a snow storm. I hope we don't lose the power. This is a bad one. I'm worried about the high tides. We're right on the water. It's usually a pretty safe little harbor here, but with the way the weather has been in the world lately, it does scare me. The water is about 10 yards from our deck and we're on the first floor. I keep imagining tsunamis happening. It's real weird right now. It's been so cold, 4 degrees this morning, that the water is frozen out there. I'm talking the Atlantic Ocean. We're around a marina. The wind is blowing out there and the snow is coming down hard and fast. I hate winter.
[Frown] Louisa
Posted by: Princess Lenora

Re: odd weather - 01/23/05 06:44 AM

Wow, I hadn't realized how bad the storm was in the east, nor did I know about the weather in Vegas. Whole towns washed away! Wow. Last week, when we left Kansas City to move to CO it was 0 degrees. That's right. Nothing, zero, zippo, not a degree, unless you count the wind chill, which gave us a minus 11. My husband and I travelled through KS in 8 degrees. Last Saturday morning, we left our motel in Salina, KS to begin the treck to Limon, CO. It was below zero. My husband was driving the 24 foot rental truck with a trailer that towed his car. I was driving the other car behind him. My two dogs were in the back seat with their Land's End doggie coats on. Well, the truck made it for a mile or so, and then died. We were stranded on the freeway. We called the Budget truck road side assistance, and were told it would take 3 hours to get a mechanic out! So I used my cell phone to call the state troopers. If we were going to freeze, I'd want someone to feed the dogs. We still had to wait over 2 hours. When the mechanic showed up, he determined that the diesel fuel had frozen. When we finally made it to Colorado Springs a day later, it was 64 degrees. Go figure! Love and Light, Lynn P.S. While waiting for the mechanic, I had to pee. My husband waited with the truck while I took the car to find a place. No place. No where. Going back to town was too confusing. So I drove back to where he was waiting with the truck... and... well, I know the true meaning of freezing my buns off.
Posted by: Sadie

Re: odd weather - 01/23/05 06:51 AM

I am glad you are safe and doggies also. and you husband. In Maryland we had eight inches of snow at least in my back yard. I heard further North is is going to be very bad.

Even in New York City they are having a Blizzard there. They will that that snow and dump it in the East River if they don't have anyplace to put it. I heard that is what they do in New York City. Nothing like the East River .

Stay warm friends. We have a fire in the Fireplace in the family room. Burr.... Hope they salt our street soon.
Posted by: Louisa

Re: odd weather - 01/23/05 06:58 AM

What a trip that must have been. [Eek!]

I'm sitting here with a flashlight and candles ready just in case we lose power. I fully expect we will at some point. I should get off the computer, but I'm working at the same time.

Lynn, are you happy with authorhouse? How were they to deal with?

Louisa

Re: odd weather - 01/24/05 03:43 AM

chatty, it's just like you to take clothes and FOOD to people in need! [Big Grin] I bet if they would have let you cook for the whole place you would have!

Lynn, love the story about the buns. Desparation!

Louisa, I hope you are safe. Keep us posted. We keep hearing about the Cape with 40-50 mph winds and 25-30 inches of snow. My lower back is aching a little from shoveling our eight inches!
Posted by: Thistle Cove Farm

Re: odd weather - 01/24/05 04:36 AM

I don't shovel snow, don't even understand the concept. We've had bone crushing cold here for the past few days...with wind chills it's been minus 50 to minus 75 degrees F. The bedroom has sunk to a new low temp of 44 degrees above zero and we're having to clean up snow from inside the doors and windows.

But I still love my old house.

Last night I went down at dusk to put the old man stud in the barn so he could have shelter from both wind and snow/ice. At his lot now he has shelter from one OR the other...not both. Instead of going into the barn - like a sensible animal - he runs the fences, squealing to his son, the other stud, who charges the gate and tries to paw it off the hinges. I marched the old man right back to his lot and left him to think over the error of his ways. This morning he RAN past me to get into the barn! Guess a little time chillin' helped him make up his mind.

Everyone is cold but everyone has shelter, food and water so I've done what I can do. Even the sheep are acting like they are starving and they are fat little beasties. It's supposed to warm up a bit Tuesday and I'm more than ready. Because the old man stud is now in the barn, that means I'll have to muck out the barn when it warms up. I'm having to carry water to him in 5 gallon rubber buckets; I'm beginning to look like an ape with my arms being streched out of their sockets.

Ah well...the good news is...this too shall pass.

Thank God.

Re: odd weather - 01/24/05 04:45 AM

Sandra sorry not to know this but is the old m [Razz] an stud a horse or a sheep or what? Just curious.
Posted by: Thistle Cove Farm

Re: odd weather - 01/24/05 05:20 AM

Hi Chatty - don't be sorry not to know...there's no reason you should know unless you breed horses.

A stud generally refers to a male stallion who has not been castrated. If he's been castrated he's called a gelding. It's much easier to castrate a male horse than neuter a female horse.

In the camelid family -llamas, alpacas, vicunas - males are called either studs or geldings as well.

I just call my senior stud "the old man"; he's about 15 or 16 years old and his son is almost 5 years old.
Posted by: Vicki M. Taylor

Re: odd weather - 01/25/05 09:09 PM

Even in the south east, we're having strange weather. It was 32 degrees here in Tampa, FL and every day is cold and windy. I realize we don't have near the kind of weather you do up north during the winter, but when it gets cold down here, we freeze our thin blooded butts off! During a normal winter season, I can count the number of times our heater kicks in on one hand. Not this year! We've used the fireplace more times this year than I can ever remember in the past.