Hurricane Coming

Posted by: Dee

Hurricane Coming - 08/28/05 08:46 PM

Here we go again...Dotsie, JAWJAW, pray for me and my husband as this hurricane approaches...although we're not supposed to get the eye, we're on the east side of the storm...pretty rough. JAWJAW, I hope your area doesn't get any rippled affect from this thing. We're battening down the hatches, putting up plywood on the windows, putting together our supplies, storing water, etc...all the things we've done twice this year already. Yikes.
If my boomer sisters don't hear from me in awhile it's because we've lost electricity (let's hope that's all we lose) but as soon as things become normal again I'll pop in and say hello to my friends.
God Bless all of you...
Posted by: Eagle Heart

Re: Hurricane Coming - 08/28/05 08:53 PM

You're definitely in my heart-thoughts and prayers today, as are all my sisters in any area that might be even remotely affected by this hurricane.
Posted by: Sandpiper

Re: Hurricane Coming - 08/28/05 09:30 PM

Dee,

Where in Alabama are you all? We will be holding all of you in our prayers. This is a really bad ass storm girl!

Be careful.

Sandpiper
Posted by: Whirlwind

Re: Hurricane Coming - 08/28/05 10:05 PM

I just heard that C-130 recon planes are reporting 190 mph wind gusts. Unless something happens, Katrina will roar ashore tomorrow morning as a Category 5 storm, with sustained winds in excess of 175 mph.

They are packing the Superdome with people who can't leave. Estimates are 100,000 will be in New Orleans when Katrina comes ashore (many are tourists in hotels who are stranded, moving to upper floors due to the expected flooding).

Pray for the people in Katrina's path. This is going to be very bad.

Whirlwind
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Hurricane Coming - 08/28/05 11:32 PM

Trust me, you are all close in my heart. I have been corresponding with my sister who lives in New Orleans and has evacuated. You all are areceiving prayers from me.

Dee, in what town do you live so we can check it out on the weather channel as this storm hits land?

I am scared for those in New Orleans. They are below sea level to begin with.
Posted by: Pam Kimmell

Re: Hurricane Coming - 08/29/05 12:14 AM

I too am praying for everyone who may be in this terrible storm's path....it is indeed a very scary situation. Dotsie, I'm glad your sister has evacuated!

Re: Hurricane Coming - 08/29/05 02:02 AM

I am just outside Mobile (Satsuma) but still in Mobile country. My husband and I were just putting up the last of the plywood on our windows when a large rain storm hit us...whew...just a tiny hint of what's to come...

Oh, my goodness, yes we're watching the new orleans thing...I truly fear for those people down there...I think we're in for something unlike anything we've ever seen before and for those in New Orleans, I'll be praying my heart out...and for us...

Thanks and please, keep us in your prayers.

Hugs,

Dee
Posted by: Louisa

Re: Hurricane Coming - 08/29/05 02:37 AM

Here we go again. Wow, when this storm started out, it didn't look like it would amount to more than a category 1 or 2. You just never know with these storms. We are expecting rain from it over the next few days. It's starting already. 190 mile an hour winds! Egads. I just emailed a friend in New Orleans. Hope he's ok. Good luck to all who are in Katrina's path. Stay safe.
Louisa
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Hurricane Coming - 08/29/05 03:06 AM

Dee you poor dear, can't imagine living out the terrors of such a storm. Hope all is well for your family and all others involved. So scary!!!

Re: Hurricane Coming - 08/29/05 04:18 AM

Thank you chatty lady...and others concerned. Yeah, I'm not looking forward to this at all...we've evacuated before and stayed at his mom's but our house has been here for 125 years so we're counting on it being here day after tomorrow...
We're going to get our teeth kicked in but not as badly as New Orleans...they're talking about the French Quarter not even being there after the storm...I cannot imagine...I've been to NO many times and it's the closest thing to Europe around these parts...of course, I never understood why anyone would want to build a city BELOW sea level in the first place...
Posted by: Sadie

Re: Hurricane Coming - 08/29/05 05:43 AM

Dee,
My sister-in-law is in Huntsville Ala. Where are you located . We are worried about then and my husbands daughter from his first marriage is in Slidel , La and are then going also. We cannot get threw the phone lines now. This is very scary storm and hope that you are safe also.
Please keep us posted !

[ August 28, 2005, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: Nancy50 ]
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Hurricane Coming - 08/29/05 07:59 AM

Nancy, I'm about 10 miles outside of Huntsville, AL. I will pray for your sister-in-law, and for us all. Dee included. Its very scary. Looks like we will be getting some of it as well but of course not like our dear neighbors in LA and South Alabama. Prayers will be forthcoming!

JJ
Posted by: Sadie

Re: Hurricane Coming - 08/29/05 09:12 AM

Thanks , J. J.
I called my sister-in-law tonight and so far so good, but she said they will get it tomorrow all the wind and rain. Some of the people are coming up her way to be safe from LA . They have shelter there that were open. We are consurned a about all the dogs and cats and critters she calls them what will happen to them also. Are they going to parrish also. She told me she would not leave with her critter (dog) that is . I told her my dog goes with me . I am worried about all the old people and the sick . What will happen to them and the ones in the county jail? Lots of questions.

Keep you all in my prayers and be safe.

Re: Hurricane Coming - 08/29/05 05:38 PM

Ladies in the storm's path, please let us hear from you.

My sister and her family evacuated to Florida, of all places. Who would ever think you'd take cover in Florida during a hurricane?
Posted by: Songbird

Re: Hurricane Coming - 08/30/05 07:04 AM

Dear friends, I was praying that its force would diminish and at least it turned into a cat.4 instead of a cat.5. But I am praying for all in it's way to remain safe. I can't imagine what you are going through and the reports are disheartening with so many without comm. and electricity.

Hoping to hear from JJ, Dee and any others. Dots, I kow what you mean, with your sister evacuating to Florida of all places. Praying constantly for your safety...
this songbird will sing a joyful tune when we hear from you.

Re: Hurricane Coming - 08/30/05 04:36 PM

News reports this morning are dire...it's going to be good to hear from all of our Boomer sisters in the path of this storm - I'm anxious to hear from everyone that they made it safely through the worst of this devastating storm.....I'll be checking in here all day to see if we get some postings from our girls in the midst of things.

Re: Hurricane Coming - 08/30/05 05:16 PM

Praying and waiting,

Re: Hurricane Coming - 08/30/05 05:35 PM

It's hard to listen to these devastating reports and not know if our sisters are okay...I too have been praying (all night, due to insomnia!) for your safety and wait for word...
Posted by: Dianne

Re: Hurricane Coming - 08/30/05 06:11 PM

We're getting the tail end of it right now. Strong winds and driving rain. They said it's fast moving so hopefully, it will lessen and move on.

Re: Hurricane Coming - 08/31/05 07:15 AM

I'm with all of you on this one. Waiting to hear. Hopefully electricity is the only issue.

I am so grateful my sister and her family left town. They are all in a hotel in central FLorida. She was online for more than 6 hours trying tofind a place for them and their pets. They left at 4:40 am Sunday and arrived at their destination Sunday afternoon. They are safe, but they don't know if their homes will be there when they return. Things were looking grim last night, and much worse this morning. They are mentioning her town when speaking about the flooding of the levee. I can't wait to talk with her today. She will be able to tell me exactly where they are located on the map CNN continues to show. Please pray for everyone involved. I heard this could be the worse natural disaster to ever hit our country.

She and her husband also own several chain pizza places that are scattered around New Orleans and north of the city. This is devastating, but you know what? She is faithful and can put this in perspective. Pray I can help her in that area.

Re: Hurricane Coming - 08/30/05 08:12 PM

Oh Dotsie, how stressful for all of you. I can't imagine. I'll be praying for your sister and family.

Re: Hurricane Coming - 08/30/05 08:31 PM

All, just a note to say we are fine in my town. We have some power outages, trees down, and debris in the yards from branches, small trees, etc...but other than that, no loss of life or wide-spread flooding. There is some, but it isn't devastating and we are in very GOOD shape compared to our brothers and sisters in South Alabama, Louisiana and Mississippi.

I know you join me in praying for all of them.

JJ
Posted by: smilinize

Re: Hurricane Coming - 08/30/05 08:35 PM

This storm looks awful on the television. I'm so glad you're okay JJ. I hope everyone is. I am joining in prayer for everyone involved.
smile

P.S. And JJ, for heaven's sake, don't be driving into any water. I am looking forward to seeing you on Jay Leno, not on the top of your car in a flooded creek.

Re: Hurricane Coming - 08/30/05 08:52 PM

Hey me either...and since I drive a VW, I would imagine ME and the car would be under water...

eeek!

JJ

Re: Hurricane Coming - 08/30/05 10:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by smilinize:
P.S. And JJ, for heaven's sake, don't be driving into any water. I am looking forward to seeing you on Jay Leno, not on the top of your car in a flooded creek.

But JJ, if you DO happen to end up on top of your car in a flooded creek in front of tv cameras, can you hold up a sign that says "Boomers Rock"?

Just kidding, you know I've been worried about you. Stay safe my friend.

Re: Hurricane Coming - 08/30/05 10:49 PM

We've had strong winds and I found a pair of granny panties in my front yard. JJ, do they belong to you? [Razz]

Re: Hurricane Coming - 08/30/05 10:59 PM

Well WHEN I am on Leno, and I AM underwater standing on top of my VW... I'll simply write "BOOMERS ROCK" on my big girl panties (after Dianne sends them back)...how's that?

You girls...puleaseeee... I do the humor around here, capish?

JJ
Posted by: Fiftyandfine

Re: Hurricane Coming - 08/30/05 11:34 PM

I'm still too new around here to know if all of our possibly endangered sisters have been accounted for.
As a Floridian, I have such complete empathy for all of you in the path of this dreadful storm. I hope everyone is well.It does sound like even if people are okay, their homes and businesses may be devastated. Sending hugs and prayers...

Fifty

Re: Hurricane Coming - 08/30/05 11:46 PM

JJ, Diane, I'm glad you're OK., Dotsie, Good to know your family is safe too. although they don't know about their home & businesses. Than God they are alive and well. That's the most important thing right now.

I am praying for all involved.

Pictures are scary to watch. Incredible! This is like a modern deluge. Can you imagine what Noah and his fellowmen went through? It's amzing to see people rescued from their roof tops!
Posted by: Daisygirl

Re: Hurricane Coming - 08/31/05 12:45 AM

I am glad you are all safe! Are all accounted for now?

I'm sure the American people will pull together and give money and time as we always do whenever there's a disaster here or anywhere else in the world. I know there are many meetings taking place today in businesses and homes all over the country, with people discussing what, where and who to give to.

Daisygirl

Re: Hurricane Coming - 08/31/05 02:06 AM

Boomers Rock and Granny Panties, me thinks we have a couple of closet comedians in the group, soooo funny. Seriously though very happy to know you are all alright and hope all the others fare as well....

Re: Hurricane Coming - 08/31/05 02:44 AM

Note to JJ: Cannot return granny panties to you as the postage is too costly for such a large package. [Big Grin]

I'm also happy that all of your are safe. It's still lightly storming here but nothing bad. I feel so horrible for all the people who have lost their homes and loved ones. A man on tv was sobbing. Lost his house and wife in one quick moment. It broke my heart.

Re: Hurricane Coming - 08/31/05 03:26 AM

I saw that too, Dianne. Very heartbreaking. Everyone up here is also already preparing to send aid...we won't let you suffer through this alone!

And btw, thanks for the great pantie line! LOL!

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/01/05 07:09 AM

The looting is very disheartening, but I heard on the news this morning that rescuers are arriving from all over the country. Maybe they will take the pressure off the police force a little so they can protect rather than rescue.

Thank God that almost all people evacuated!

Daisygirl

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/01/05 07:18 AM

I'm really worried about Dee. I don't suppose anyone's been in contact with her. Doesn't she live in Mobile? I guess it wasn't quite as devastating there, but I'd still like to know she's okay. They may not get their power back for days or even weeks.

Re: Hurricane Coming - 08/31/05 08:47 PM

I have't heard from Dee wither. Anyone?

I have to say I am upset with our president. Seeing those refugees sitting on the highway with nothing to eat and no bathrooms is so upsetting. Perhaps I'm impatient, but don't we drop food to refugees from helicopters in other countries?

Smile, the looting sickens me too. A woman news reporter kept saying it "disgusted her". I couldn't agree more. I believe the whole town is in such a panic that the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

I'm praying for clarity to make sharp decisions for all government leaders.

Update: my sister and her family and friends are still in Ocala, Florida trying to come up with a sensible plan. They want to go to friend's homes who have electricity and water on the west side of New Orleans. Personally, I don't want them near there. Who knows if another levee will break and flood that side of town...

This is all so very sad.

Our local Red Cross is having a two day class next week for people who are willing to go to the area and offer assistance for a three week period. A friend of mine is seriously considering doing so.
Posted by: TVC15

Re: Hurricane Coming - 08/31/05 09:19 PM

Let's just pray that Dee has lost power and can't get on the computer!

Re: Hurricane Coming - 08/31/05 11:26 PM

A crew left this morning from Vegas with tons of equipment to help rescue people with two helicopters. I am just sick watching this and the devastation these poor people are being forced to endure. The looting is so sad. I am appauled at the way our government has handled this. They should have sent boats and transport helicopters to get those thousands of stranded people out of there. We have the equipment to do it, why not use it? Has anyone else noticed that the stars that ALL came forward to help the Tsunami survivors haven't made an appearance to help their fellow countrymen. Not one has come forward. I wonder if there will be live aid concerts for our people. No other Nation has offered assistance to us either. It figures!!!
Posted by: Katrinka

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/01/05 12:07 AM

I hope someone hears from our Boomer friends who live near the Gulf soon. I have such a sick feeling in my stomach as I watch the coverage. I also share the anger and disgust that has been expressed by others. I'm so appalled about the looting. Stealing is illegal, but I'm willing to give concessions to those who are desperate and are taking things like bottled water and toilet paper. I could not believe that people were in a Walmart filling carts with expensive toys. Big expensive toys like those 4-wheelers that toddlers sit in. Other things like shoes and CDs. A pawn shop was looted of most of its guns. I'm infuriated about all this. It's disgusting.

I'm also upset about the President and his seeming lack of involvement. "We'll pray..." Okay Mr. President, that's all well and good, but right now people need help. And while you're at it, can you regulate the gas prices?

I thought I was just being cynical, but, I too, observed that no stars came forward to offer help.

Anyway, my thoughts and prayers are with the Gulf residents, though I know that's not much.
Marie
Posted by: Pattyann

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/01/05 01:31 AM

Has anyone heard from Dee yet??
You know when the tsunami hit SE Asia we all went in there and helped the recovery.
I've been watching TV and has anyone heard of one foreign country that offered help or even said they feel for Us??I sure haven't

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/01/05 02:59 AM

I know that Canada is helping, and has already offered to send teams of hydro workers, construction crews, cleanup crews, naval vessels and other aid workers, but like others have mentioned here, everyone's being told not to send people or come into those areas yet, to wait until there's more infrastructure to keep the aid workers safe too. Right now there's no food, water, hydro or safe places to house the victims yet, much less a huge influx of foreign aid.

The Canadian Red Cross is being flooded with donations earmarked for the Katrina survivors. Other parts of the world are responding as well, you're just not hearing about it yet.
Posted by: Princess Lenora

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/01/05 03:54 AM

I heard that Germany is offering aid. Why is this so bad? It just gets worse and worse. I've never seen anything like it. I am glued to the TV and filled with tears. This is horrible. LLL
Posted by: msdiana

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/01/05 03:59 AM

fox news posted this today:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,168002,00.html

the world is not without response...you can locate the world's newspapers here: http://www.ipl.org/div/news/

the paper here in stuttgart:
http://www.stuttgarter-nachrichten.de/stn/index.php
(turn down your sound as they have a very annoying ad popping up today)

[ August 31, 2005, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: msdiana ]

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/01/05 04:21 AM

Thanks Msdiana all the way from Germany. CNN is saying that the need is so great all aid is frustrated. Rescue and recovery workers are doing their jobs without sanitation, water, food, or sleep. This is so unbelievable. It's like the end of the world.

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/01/05 06:29 AM

My son is in college in Louisiana. One of his friends were panicking about getting to her family down in NO. He called to ask what he should do. I advised him against it. He went with his heart and got stuck in traffic there plus his cell phone went powerless.

I hadn't slept for days watching and wondering if my son made it out in time. He did along with three family members of his friend.

I'm a native of La and just can't wait for the opportunity to get there to help. Meanwhile, I'm making flyers to send out to my neighbors to gather any/all sorts of clothing to send to the Astrodome where the refugees will be housed.

Just days prior to all of this devastation, the Postmaster and I chit-chatted about La and FL. He was helping me lift a large box that I was sending out to LA and FL for my children. He is from there too and will help with the cost of shipping items there.

Despite the fact that I'd seen the postmaster for years, we never said anything but hello to one another until that day.

That must have been God that united us natives to help His people.

As far as the looters, I believe the ones that are getting food and survivor material should. The ones that are getting guns and other non-sense will pay more dearly than they have already. That's no way to act in the face of adversity. Hopefully they're getting the guns for the gators that are sure to surface if not already. Hope some got insect repellant instead of silly items.

Sugaree

[ August 31, 2005, 11:32 PM: Message edited by: Sugaree ]

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/01/05 08:32 AM

The sad thing is that the criminals will prevent the people in their area from getting rescued because I doubt they will send in rescuers if their lives are in danger.

Smile, I believe you think like me. I was thinking today that when the government begins a rescue effort, they have so much planning to do. The people who are sent, even if they are military have jobs they do every day and arrangements have to be made. We are seeing horrible images on tv, and people there are understandably very hungry, hot, dirty and very uncomfortable at the least, but help is on the way. I think it also seems like things are moving slow because we can watch it 24/7, but we may not be getting the entire story. I've been watching it on all 3 channels and have heard different versions of the same topic. It's only been 48 hours since the hurricane moved out of the area.

A friend and I discussed going to NO this week, but I couldn't because of finances and she ended up going to France because her mother was very ill. I think we would've planned to leave today and it is unlikely we would've been there for the hurricane. I saw several women tourists who were stranded, pulling their luggage around with them. How scary! Women alone in a city that is in anarchy, criminals with guns..... I pray they will make it home safely.

I appreciate the countries who have offered help, whether financial or physical. And I think the some of the stars will contribute, again, it's only been 48 or so hours.

Sugaree, I can understand why you would want to go right down there and help and I'm not a LA native, only visited once. I think a lot of us have that urge - of course we do because we're Americans.

Well, I guess you guys have figured out that I'm a news junkie.

Daisygirl
Posted by: yepthatsme2

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/01/05 05:50 PM

Online donation site for American Red Cross: Hurricane 2005 Relief and Victims of Hurricane Katrina.

https://www.redcross.org/donate/donation-form.asp

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/02/05 07:24 AM

Daisy and smile, you are right. I may have jumped the gun on being critical, but it has been days now. I want to see these people rescued and fed.

I don't know about all of you, but this is definitely cahnging my perspective on life. When I went in the basement to do laundry this morning and it was hot (we have no air in the basement) I thought whiney thoughts for a split second. Then I thought of the refugees. When I learned about the gas prices, I thought...at least we have a car. The list goes on. I am counting my blessings, but it doesn't help the people in need.

What are some of you doing to help, other than prayer...

What are some of you doing to help?

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/02/05 07:47 AM

Other than donating money right now, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot we can do. I too want to jump on a plane and get right down there and start helping to clean up. The Canadian Red Cross is putting teams together who will begin going into the devastated areas for three weeks at a time, but right now they want only specific professional skills, and even they have to wait for the okay from the affected states' governments.

Hubby and I are talking about possibly joining a Red Cross team for November, or perhaps next spring...they'll still be needing help then. Hubby's a strong, energetic carpenter/electrician/plumber handyman, so would be a big help. I'm a chronically fatigued wimp, but would still like to do something mundane and tedious that nobody else wants to do, like sorting clothes or serving food. We're going to look into that possibility.

PS. One thing I'm REALLY good at is putting together "care packages". We've been sending cp's for years to various people in situations where the cp's are more useful than money. I don't know if that would be a useful gift in this situation, but it's one little way I can show I care.

[ September 01, 2005, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: Eagle Heart ]

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/01/05 10:13 PM

Are we all accounted for?

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/01/05 10:41 PM

Please don't forget the pets that have been left behind. The Humane Society have people in the area who are rescuing the abandoned animals. You can donate on their website.

Eagle Heart, you are a good American. If I didn't have to work, I'd be there also. And I'm jealous of your handyman.

Daisygirl

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/01/05 10:43 PM

This may sound selfish but I think it's time to call in our own- bring home the National Guard and save our citizens- we are a vast and wealthy country that is just stretched too thin- it's time to protect our people

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/01/05 10:43 PM

Eagle Heart, I just noticed you are Canadian - that makes your desire to help all the more special! Thank you.....

Daisygirl
Posted by: Vicki M. Taylor

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/01/05 11:01 PM

Rescue workers are getting shot at. FEMA has stopped working because it's unsafe for their people. Why? Why would people who need help shoot at those who are trying to rescue them?

The red cross is getting record donations. More help is needed. If you can, give to the red cross so that they can provide the appropriate help needed for these poor people.
Posted by: KAY B

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/01/05 11:10 PM

I haven't been able to sleep well for days now.
I am having 9/11 panic attacks all over again.

My most favorite place in the entire world IS New Orleans. I had to be born there in another lifetime! I almost moved there when I was 19--but my father talked me out of it.

I keep saying I will not watch another news story on the hurricane. But I find myself glued to the tv. And when I see all the destruction--and the people who simply couldn't get out of NO due to many reasons--it breaks my heart. I think of all those people suffering---all those people who may not have made it out alive.

I have been having panic attacks again. I keep going back to 9/11 & the hopeless feeling we all had. Only this time we have seen the suffering--and the mayhem that has followed.

The looting makes me sick. Now I heard they are moving into more populated areas to do the same. To think of how many more people we may loose because the police & National Guard have to watch over these inhumane beings.

Thank God our one friend is ok. I am hoping another I have lost touch with is also ok. We are waiting on another friend who has family in Mississippi.

I plan to make a donation of cash to one of the reputable charities. I know the school children will be having fund raisers,etc in the weeks to come once school starts. I will also help them.

Here in NY everyone is talking about how we need to repay those who helped all of us in our time of need. That should go without saying.

I can still close my eyes & feel that awful feeling on that September morning. Hoping all those people knew someone was thinking about them as the first tower fell. That they weren't alone.

I can't imagine yet the full destruction of Louisiana. When I close my eyes I see my fave spot in the French Quarter---sitting on that hill with the sunlight hitting me.

I paid $2.99 a gallon this morning for 1/4 of a tank. I didn't complain. I thought of what I needed to do--and how I could do it in one trip.

I feel guilty washing the dishes--and seeing all the water wasted. I lay in bed & know thousands are sleeping on the ground. I eat with guilt. Instead of feeling grateful for what I have---I feel guilty instead.

I hope every single one of you who may have a loved one--a friend--a friend of a friend--that they are ok. I know too many people who lost a loved one on 9/11. This hurricane has effected me in the same manner that day did. New Orleans is my 2nd home. I knew & loved it better than NYC.
It just feels like another piece has been ripped from my soul.

Whew. And I didn't think I could put this into words.

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/01/05 11:24 PM

Kay, Devastation of this magnitude hits at the heart of all of us. I've never been to New Orleans but grieve its loss as if it was my own hometown. I had trouble sleeping last night, worried that the tail end of this hurricane would flood out my two young nieces living outside of Toronto. Thankfully, that didn't happen, but for that entire night I had nightmares of them being stuck on their roof with nobody to rescue them.

So that gives me a taste of the agony that so many others are going through whose worst nightmares DID come true.

One of the dangers for those of us who have to watch and wait and don't know what we can do to help is slowly succumbing to a sense of futility. That the problem is too immense and overwhelming, that our little light won't make any difference at all. But that's never true. Every little dime and nickel helps. Every prayer helps. Every caring thought expressed in any way wherever you are ripples right on down the line. We can only start where and how we can and trust that it's just as vital and valuable as the bigger stuff.

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/02/05 12:45 AM

Germany is the only one besides the Canadians that have jumpen in with both feet to assist us any way they can. It is appauling how our own government has dropped the ball here and left our own citizens without food, water and medicine for what 5 days nows??? Prayer is great but you can't eat prayer, nor wear it nor take it for a medical condition...There are definitely to many cooks in the kitchen and none can agree how to take care of this, everyone wants to be the boss and little is getting done. I know it will 'ALL' be taken care of eventually but I would hate to be one of those poor people waiting all this time with hope dwindling. We are suppose to be the greatest country in the world and this has been handled like a third world country handles things and there is NO excuse for it...DISCUSTING!!!Oh and another thing, those service stations gouging our citizens $6.00 for a gallon of gas should be prosecutred to the fullest extent of the law when this is over. They are worse than terrorists to do something like this. Adding to the misery instead of helping...

[ September 01, 2005, 05:50 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/02/05 01:04 AM

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but somebody had mentioned bringing guys home from Iraq to help in NO. Well, my brother is due home Saturday (he was anyway)and my SIL just told me they're figuring on him being immediately deployed to Louisiana. That's one more helicopter, folks, and I'm sure his unit will be with him. I don't know what that total would be.
I have to tell you it would KILL ME to have my brother arrive safely home from Iraq only to be killed by looters. If these a--holes end up taking anybody's life, I swear that I will start pushing for the death penalty--something I've never really done in my life. Sorry, I am just mortified at the situation!!!

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/02/05 02:33 AM

I've heard that crime was a big problem in NO and has been for a long time. These thugs that are doing the looting and shooting are in gangs, are into drugs and the such.

I think the locals don't have their act together and the feds need direction from them, because they know their city the best. They are not getting it and need to take over.

I hope our military takes all the weaponry they need to get the job done there. They need grenades and the big stuff and to treat their attacks the same as if they are attacking the country - because they are. They better not make them fight the politically correct way.

Daisygirl

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/02/05 04:44 AM

Although it is hard to see many still without assistance, due to the enormity of this calamity, I am thankful for all the efforts to rescue and help our felllow americans.

But it must be a nightmare to be without water for so long, and people are dying. I continue to pray for all involved, rescuers included. I'm also glad there are many churches and organizations uniting their efforts to serve the needy. We can do so much better that way!

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/02/05 05:49 AM

i responded to a someone on another site who was critical of people pleading for help instead of being grateful for being rescued and looting things they couldn't even use...she said she cringed at the idea of outlaws overpowering the powerless but still asked "what do i owe those who aren't even grateful for surviving?"...i posted the following:

personally, i don't think i owe anyone anything...i think i owe God for having spared me and my family, for giving me the resources to help others and the ability to do so...
my debt to God is enormous and i will pay it through others just like others paid it through me when i needed it...
we all think we know what we'd do in the same situation but we don't...we might well know that we wouldn't loot electronics or shoot at helicopters but that's about all we really know -- that we wouldn't do what a small fraction of the thousands of survivors have done...personally, i don't want to think about what i might find myself compelled to do in the same situation as the majority of those survivors...

i'm not looking to hear from the lost because they're lost...i'm not looking to hear from the struggling because they're struggling...who is anyone to expect anything from them...their gratefulness is between them and God, not them and anyone else on the planet...
non-survival type-looters, shooters, rapists, and murderers be damned (i'm pretty sure)...those who are now going into yet another day of minimal water and food, sharing bathroom facilities or outdoor improvised arrangements with a host of others and a host of bacteria, sharing streets or rooms with the dead and who aren't doing anything wrong by pleading, even in anger, for help to stay alive and healthy -- they are the meek...they need earth, not judgement...
of course you cringe because you're human...and what makes you cringe makes it that much harder to deal with the rest of it -- for all of us who can't get there and do the hands on stuff we know we could if we were there, and most especially for those in the middle of it...

it's hard not to get angry out of frustration, heartache, and sorrow for those we can't just pluck out of the muck and make better...it's so hard when it seems like all you can do is watch and hear...
everybody finds a way, somehow, to channel their anger and sense of helplessness into a way that can help...donations are great of course but the sometimes overwhelming feeling of powerlessness doesn't go away with the click of a "send" button...i have to believe prayer is powerful enough to make up for what i can't do...

in light of dotsie's question, i would add that we wouldn't be expecting so much of ourselves if we were confined to a wheelchair or housebound...in effect though, many of us are...
we can't get there, we can't do any of the heavy lifting -- bodies or boxes...
at a terribly challenging time as this we would tend to see prayer as suddenly minimal when really it is the energy that drives those who can get there and who can help out...it's not just the survivors who need our prayers, it's also those who are witnessing their fellow human beings in such dire circumstances...their strength and will is tapped everytime they help another person...they will get headaches, backaches, blurred vision, upset stomachs, constipation, and hunger pangs and fatigue they will ignore...
and who's to say our prayers won't bring us physically closer to helping someone at some point?
many pray everyday when nothing particular is going on and we don't ask ourselves "what else can i do?"...
when all we can do doesn't seem like enough, it might not be about being enough...it might be a signal that we need to change something in our own lives...
prepare now for the next disaster (take cpr training, volunteer to write for organizations that can't afford writers, etc) and that feeling of "not enough" might just wane...

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/02/05 06:13 AM

I'm okay...we are fine...and thanks to my boomer friends who wished us well during this very trying time...My God, I am in shock...I lived in Gulfport only two years ago...and only 7 blocks from the beach...I used to jog/walk on highway 90...that was my town...the house I lived in has some damage but is still standing...as is my best friend's house next door...she was in Miami at the time...her house in Miami received damage from Katrina before coming to the Gulfcoast...my pine tree landed in her backyard taking her security fence with it...has some windows out but otherwise okay considering that Gulfport was devastated...also Waveland, Mississippi...I used to go there to shop for antiques...it's completely gone...off the map...cannot believe it. As for me and Larry we rode it out in our house...my first hurricane...and I cannot believe what I saw...I didn't know trees bend the way they did or that wind could sound like that...it really does sound like a train. We've been without power since the storm hit us and it's been hotter than hell down here...long lines for ice, water and MRE's...hundreds and hundreds of homeless people living in their cars, long, long lines for gas (what there is of it), and I still cannot believe this...My husband has lost work now because the railroad is wiped out in places from Mobile to New Orleans...that was his route...at the moment he's taking his vacation but we're not sure what will happen after that...the railroad expected him to be on duty 24/7 but when it comes to being there now they don't care...it's unreal. His railroad company took a flight all along the rails to see the damage and they're pretty much out of commission...even if they had rails running to new orleans, there's nothing there to go to. We have our lives, our home and our family...so we're not complaining...our hearts go out to those who lost everything...this is heart sickening. When my friends comes from Miami we're going to go with her to help cut down the trees and debries from the hurricane...I'll take some pictures and try to send them to those of you I have come to know on a more personal level. To those of you who may have loved ones who lost everything, my heart is broken for them...this is truly an American tradegy...
God bless those who care and worried about me...you've touched me beyond belief...I love you guys.

Dee

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/02/05 06:28 AM

Dee, I'm so relieved and overjoyed to hear from you and that you're safe. For once, I'm too overcome for words...

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/02/05 06:33 AM

Dee, I'm glad you are ok. If you are without power, how did you log on? Here is what I am wondering: was there a major correctional facility in the devastated area? I am wondering what happened to all the convicts in jails? Also, what I understand is that some people could not afford to leave as instructed. They did not have $20.00 to put gas in their car, if they had a car. What is really bothering me is the way families are DRAGGING the corpses of loved ones along the road with no where to go! I want to go help. LLL

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/02/05 06:39 AM

Dee wrote and said she was fine, and she beat me to posting it, but I'm glad she was able to post so everyone could see/read/feel what she's and others have been through. Pray for our brothers and sisters. Welcome back Dee, and take care.

JJ
Posted by: smilinize

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/02/05 07:00 AM

We are all thankful that you survived Dee. I'm so sorry about your home, but it sounds as if it is in pretty good shape considering what has happened.

Thank heaven you and your husband are okay.
smile
Posted by: unique

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/02/05 08:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by smilinize:
Many of the people who are now being rescued were warned to leave and they refused. They put themselves in harms way and now troops and others are risking their lives to rescue them.

Has anyone else considered that? Maybe I'm just cold hearted.
smile

I don't think you're cold hearted, Smile. But it was the end of the month. For a lot of people, that also means the end of the money. Even people who had money, credit cards, etc. couldn't get out. No rental cars, no buses, flights canceled.
It's even worse for the poorest of the poor (of which N.O. has many) Every one you know lives near you, they have no place to go TO. They don't have a car to get there in. Even if they managed to walk out - go where? No credit card, no hotel. No money, no hotel. I think a lot of people stayed because they literally had no where to go and no way to get out if they wanted to go. No, not everyone; but many. What about the elderly? Too old to drive, infirm, poor, no family...there are many reasons.
Posted by: Dahti Blanchard

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/02/05 09:39 AM

Unique & Smile--that is true, many people simply had no way to leave.
Dee, I'm also very glad you're okay.
It's so hard to see the destruction and deaths both from the actual storm and the aftermath. The reports coming out are heartbreaking.

Dream of the Circle of Women
by Dahti Blanchard
published May 2004 by Spilled Candy Books
visit: www.dahtiblanchard.com
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/02/05 12:03 PM

Dee, I've been worried about you and am glad to hear you and husband are OK.

I've been watching the news. This is so tragic and I don't have much to add. We'll be sending money to Oxfam http://www.oxfamamerica.org/ as I don't always like the Red Cross.

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/02/05 03:15 PM

Dee we were ALL worried about you so it's wonderful to have you back...SO good to know that you and your husband are alright. Hopefully his work situation will work out in some way. We were all anxious to hear how our Boomer sisters in the path of the storm fared! Stay safe....

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/02/05 03:24 PM

Dee,
Thank goodness! I was too new to know if everybody was accounted for, but I'd pretty much figured out you were missing. Here's to your life returning to normal as soon as possible. As Pam said, "Stay safe!"

Fifty

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/02/05 06:22 PM

Dee, I'm glad you and your husband are safe and that you didn't lose everything.

God be with you,

Daisygirl
Posted by: The Power of Addicted Lov

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/02/05 06:59 PM

I live in Phoenix and have been literally glued to the television. I am just devastated at what is happening due to this storm. It brought tears to my eyes last night in watching people in our country suffering.

My prayers go out to everyone who has been affected by this storm. And for those women who post on boomer, thank goodness you are okay. Please let all of us know if there is anything we can do to help.

Teresa

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/03/05 07:11 AM

Wow...what a warm outpouring of concern and love from all of you. For those of you who sent me a person email I plan on getting to those very soon...thank you for your love and support.

I'll try to answer all the questions I can from where I am...however, I'm pretty isolated from where the real problems are. First, here in Mobile the correctional facility/prison was not evacuated...however, I understand the water was up to within inches of coming in...all I know is it wasn't dangerous enough to evacuate the prisioners...however in New Orleans, the story was different...they had all the prisioners outside on a part of the highway.

My husband received pictures from the railroad of the damage done on the way to New Orleans rails...it's devastating...we were both in shock...it could be months before he's able to work again...this storm is affecting everyone in some way either by their homes, lives lost, cost of gasoline...somehow, someway every American is affected. We have all been hurt by this storm.

As far as the folks who did not leave...a lot of them could not...if you've never been to New Orleans let me tell you that there's so much poverty there...it was the highest crime hitting city in America with the most homosides...I think they said 30% of the people there lived on below the minimum wage...it's basically these people (the bulk) who were stuck...they had no money, no vehicles, no way to leave. Tourists, I understand are also stuck because the airport was shut down and no one was being allowed to leave...or anyone else who did have the money to leave.
I have very close friends who live in Biloxi and Gulfport who I've not heard from yet and don't know if they are okay or not. I used to work at the Seabee Base in Gulfport and was told that at one point those in the command center could not get out because of the downed powerlines...I'm pretty sure the base there got hit pretty badly. Another friend of mine who is a retired vet with 3 children (she was raising them alone) lived near the RR by the Grand Casino...the Grand Casino has been destroyed...I do not know if she got out and I'm pretty sure her home has been destroyed. We just do not know where these people are and have no way of finding out if they're okay or not.

I guess I'm more tender hearted when it comes to having sympathy for those still stuck in New Orleans...I don't think it's the average citizen who could not get out who is putting our troops in harms way...It's the hoodelums who have no respect or concerns for anyone but themselves who are to blame...when I see the hospital victims, the tiny babies, the mother's, the old people...these people did not cause this and should not be blamed because they could not get out. Yes, there were those stupid ones who thought they could ride out a category storm 4/5...but I think if they survived their thinking has changed...as have their lives.
I'm not a politician and I don't like to talk politics, but New Orleans officials knew this could happens and it was politics that has kept this city from being able to respond in the way they should have...I hope this is a wake up call for the rest of the country in what could happen if other cities were put in harms way from any kind of disaster that could affect thousands and thousands of lives. I'm certain that our Federal/state/city Gov's will look at what went wrong/what they did wrong and what they could have done within the following weeks/months/years.
The bottom line is there are thousands of people dying and suffering at the moment from lack of planning/action by those we put in power...if this is an example of how they handle things here at home then I think we could be in trouble. I don't normally like to preach politics...but, having been so close to this I think it's time this nation wakes up at what can happen in our own country.
Again, thank you all for you concerns and well wishes of love. I am touched more than I can ever say...my life is wonderful compared to so many others...I cannot complain about anything...we're back up and running and although my husband's job prospects are questionble at the moment, we'll ride through this one way or another...I'll send some photos of the railroad to those who would like to see them...it's unbelieveable.
God's speed and pray, pray, pray.
I love you all
Dee

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/02/05 08:36 PM

Dee, it is so nice to know you & your husband are allright!!! A nice happy piece of news to start the day!

My shock & dispair have turned to ANGER over what is going on down south. I have seen 1-2 reporters telling you the honest truth to what is happening.

I can not believe how these people are being treated. I was aware that they are mostly lower income/below poverty leval families--but that is no excuse to treat any human being like dirt.

You know if this happened in a high income area-those people would have had food/water & have been evacuated out of the city within days!

I had been thinking about the time I had gone to see the plantation houses. I remember driving along the roadway & you'd see these gorgeous old houses....then little shacks that looked like they didn't even have electricity. I remember seeing a group of elderly men sitting on a porch-waving at the passing cars. I couldn't grasp how anyone could live like that.

As I got to know the south better--I found it wasn't about wealth or material items. The people were all loving,caring & welcoming human beings. And they were happy with what they had--because most didn't know any other life.

I can only hope every last person who is in dire need knows there are millions of people hoping-praying & thinking of them.

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/02/05 08:59 PM

Unfortunately, in the south, color dictates too much of what goes on...I hate it, I detest prejudice of any kind. I truly believe that 'race' didn't so much have to do with who stayed and who got out...as much as poverty...who could afford to leave and who could not...just a guess by what I've seen so far...the president arrived just awhile ago here in Mobile...and is on his way to look at the rest of the gulf coast...it's a mess...my husband tried to get diesel earlier and the lines are so bad he just returned home...not worth it at the moment...this is unbelievable.

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/03/05 01:49 AM

As Unique said so many poor had no where to go and no way to get there. Some said they had no TV or radios even and were unaware of the severity of what was headed their way. All that is a mute point now anyway. These people need all the help they can get and the dead need all our prayers. I am so happy to report that may Country and Western stars have jumped on the money train and are starting to do large concerts to get money for relief and will continue to do them for many, many months, maybe even years. I understand 30 countries have offered us aid of whatever kind is needed. So I'll eat my words, shut my mouth, drop to my knees and continue praying. I have already been working and gathering boxes of clothing, food and cash for the rescued families. These items will be picked up by my Church for forwarding. Thank God our Dee and her husband are okay and any others near Katrinas path. Those looters and raping thugs should be put on an Island and left there to die in agony and that is too good for them....

[ September 02, 2005, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/03/05 03:18 AM

God Bless you Chatty Lady...an angel...I think now is the time to show/feel compassion. Thanks for your concern and love.
Posted by: Sherri

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/03/05 06:27 AM

My niece had just gone down to college at Ole Miss, she is fine. My son lives in Montgomery and his neighborhood was hit by a tornado but his immediate neighborhood was spared. Gasoline or lack of will hurt him as he does landscaping work.

God knows what he's doing so I know he'll provide something for him.

I'm so happy all of my boomer sisters are OK. i haven't been here much lately, but I had you all in my heart in prayers.

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/03/05 07:09 AM

Gosh, thank God for all your posts and discussions. "Poverty, age, or skin color" is what I just heard on TV in relation to WHY this got so dire. It is so sad. The elderly dying in the airport, on the street, in thier wheelchairs. Unbelievable. LLL

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/04/05 01:07 AM

Well ladies I may not be a political genius claming to know all the answers BUT the Mayor and the Governor is and always has been aware of the unlawful element running around New Orleans in gang form. My question is not to the poor or any other citizen, its to the politicians running the city. Why in heavens name did they not make sure the guns/gun shops in that city were secured. Take the guns out of these shops and put them in a vault in any bank. If they had done that, done their jobs then these gangs could not and would not be running around out numbering and out gunning the local police. They'd probably have some illegal guns but no where near the fire power they were able to obtain by these weapons being left unguarded. So much could have been avoided if someone, anyone in authoruty would have used common sense when they had the time before Katrina hit full force. I do believe some heads will roll long after this situation is under control.I am proud and happy to tell you that The Las Vegas Convention Center, the largest in the world is opening its doors to the refugees. Thats all I know so far but have volunteered my services for food preparation or whatever else I am needed for. I want to hug someone and tell them it IS going to be alright...No one should be blamed because they were unfotunate enough to be in the middle of this hell. I am sure that if they could change things, they would and don't need to hear from us who are high and dry how much smarter we would have been. I wonder????? [Mad]

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/04/05 01:23 AM

You're so right Chatty...God bless you and your help. I have people in Biloxi right now and as of yesterday they had not seen the red cross or any aid of any kind. They interviewed people in waveland (wiped out) and they had not seen any help...there are so many without help and who still need to be reached. It's a mess everywhere but the greatest tradegy is in NO.
I hope the heads that need to roll get rolled for this. I think this is a major blue print for the future in any city across America that might/will face a natural disaster.
We need to show compassion to the victims...that and only that is going to get them through this. Not our arrogance, or ignorance or prejudices. Those have no place in our society today. I'm not naive enough to think everyone can/will feel the way I do, but I can hope.
To those struggling, my prayers are being poured out and I will help anyway I can.
Posted by: DonnaJ

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/04/05 05:09 AM

WHEW! I just read this entire thread, and held my breath till I saw that you were okay, Dee.

Dotsie, how did your sister fare?

Donna
(continuing to pray...)

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/04/05 05:17 AM

I know I'm putting myself in the line of fire here, and frankly, am scared to post in these forums anymore for fear of the hatred that will be thrown (undeservedly) my way. But I have to summon my courage and dare to speak.

There are not enough words to express my horror and heartbreak at what's happening in NO and the shattered lives Katrina has left behind. PLEASE know that I weep and pray and am searching for ways to help.

But in the meantime, I cannot sit by and hear the word "evil" being bandied about and flung in anyone of my sisters' faces here. That's a very serious judgement call, a very damaging word to just fling at someone in the heat of an argument, and in my humble opinion, completely uncalled for, unwarrented and unacceptable in this forum.

Please TRUST that we ALL care, more than words can ever adequately convey. Maybe we don't express it as perfectly as others think we should, but we cannot just call someone "evil" because their words don't match our expectations. And we cannot ever assume that those differing expressions reflect an underlying lack of care. I don't believe there is one single woman on this forum who isn't heartbroken and devastated by this tragedy unfolding before our eyes. Please, let's think before we throw any damaging accusations at each other. That's not the answer. We're all hurting, we're all desperate to help, we're all trying to process this tragedy of unprecedented magnitude. Please let's try and work together, ride this horrible nightmare out together and come out the other side still intact.

[ September 03, 2005, 10:19 PM: Message edited by: Eagle Heart ]

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/04/05 05:25 AM

Thank you Donna J for your being concerned...when the hurrican was going on we held our breaths as well a few times. We were lucky...very, very lucky. Things here are starting to get slowly back to normal...our neighborhood just got their electricity (we can see night lights and the sound of generators has ceased). The lines for gasoline have lessened, although in wal-mart this afternoon you could hear accents of those from new orleans and see in the faces of those who do not call this area home a sad....I'm not sure what you would call the expression...lost maybe? There are still lots of people uprooted, too many to count, and although things are improving, it's going to be a long time before life returns to some type of normalicy for a lot of Americans.

I want to say thank you to those who have never met me but who wrote words of concern for me and my husband. It has touched me more than words can express. My heart will be grateful to you forever.

Hugs to you all,

Dee

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/04/05 05:28 AM

I wanted to add...nothing yet on my husband's job...too soon, but we did see more photos of tracks he travels on...especially around Pass Christian and Bay of St. Louis, and of course New Orleans...it's going to be sometime before there are trains running from Mobile to New Orleans again. We're hopeful and optimistic that God knows what he's doing and will take care of everyone who has lost something or everything in this great American tradegy.

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/04/05 04:52 PM

my mother, an avid harry chapin fan, used to play several of his songs late into the night when she wrote and sketched...
one of those was "what made america famous"...

It was the town that made America famous.
The churches full and the kids all gone to hell.
Six traffic lights and seven cops and all the streets kept clean.
The supermarket and the drug store and the bars all doing well.
They were the folks that made America famous.
The local fire department stocked with shorthaired volunteers.
And on Saturday night while America boozes
The fire department showed dirty movies,
The lawyer and the grocer seeing their dreams
Come to life on the movie screens
While the plumber hopes that he won't be seen
As he tries to hide his fears and he wipes away his tears.
But something's burning somewhere. Does anybody care?
We were the kids that made America famous.
The kind of kids that long since drove our parents to dispair.
We were lazy long hairs dropping our, lost confused, and copping out.
Convinced our futures were in doubt and trying not to care.
We lived in the house that made America famous.
It was a rundown slum, the shame of all the decent folks in town.
We hippies and some welfare cases,
Crowded families of coal black faces,
Cramped inside some cracked old boards,
The best that we all could afford
But still to nice for the rich landlord
To tear it down and we could hear the sound
Of something burning somewhere. Is anybody there?
We all lived the life that made America famous.
Our cops would make a point to shadow us around our town.
And we love children put a swastika on the bright red firehouse door.
America, the beautiful, it makes a body proud.
And then came the night that made America famous.
Was it carelessness or someone's sick idea of a joke.
In the tinder box trap that we hippies lived in someone struck a spark.
At first I thought I was dreaming,
Then I saw the first flames gleaming
And heard the sound of children screaming
Coming through the smoke.
Something's burning somewhere. Does anybody care?
It was the fire that made America famous.
The sirens wailed and the firemen stumbled sleepy from their homes.
And the plumber yelled "Come on let's go!" But they saw what was burning and said "Take it slow, Let'em sweat a little, they'll never know
And besides, we just cleaned the chrome." Said the plumber "Then I'm going alone."
He rolled on up in the fire truck
And raised the ladder to the ledge
Where me and my girl and a couple of kids
Were clinging like bats to the edge.
We staggered to salvation,
Collapsed on the street.
And I never thought that a fat man's face
Would ever look so sweet.
I shook his hand in the scene that made America famous
And his smile from the heart that made America great
We spent the rest of that night in the home of a man we'd never known before.
It's funny when you get that close it's kind of hard to hate.
I went to sleep with the hope that made America famous.
I had the kind of a dream that maybe they're still trying to teach in school.
Of the America that made America famous...and
Of the people who just might understand
That how together yes we can
Create a country better than
The one we have made of this land,
We have a choice to make each man
who dares to dream, reaching out his hand
A prophet or just a crazy damn
Dreamer of a fool - yes a crazy fool

And something's burning somewhere.
Does anybody care?
Is anybody there?

[ September 04, 2005, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: msdiana ]

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/04/05 05:21 PM

Sugaree, my heart aches for your pain and anguish. And it grieves me to know that anything said in these forums, and especially by myself, is adding to your grief. I am WITH YOU in your pain, even if my words can't seem to say it right. There is nothing but agony and anguish in my own heart for the suffering that's going on, and I'm praying right alongside of you to the same God that things be made right. I just don't know how else to convey to you my heart's compassion and that I anguish WITH you. I grieve in profound sadness that you think that anyone here would ever intentionally add to your pain.

Everybody, I wonder if I could make a suggestion here. A lot of hurt has been incurred here in this thread, and I daresay it's been unintentional. That doesn't make it any less painful for ALL of us. I wonder if we can all just step back, close our eyes and remember why we're here. This is Dotsie's forum. If we've joined and logged in, then it's because we believe in Dotsie's vision, and we agree with the mission statement that affirms that every woman who comes here brings a unique and VITAL voice to the table. We are all meant to be here, no exceptions. And our hope is always that we connect, discuss, listen, and in the process heal each other. We still want to do that, I know we do. But it's really difficult to know how to best handle this painful atmosphere that we're all feeling here now.

Would it be okay to suggest that we take a deep breathe, try and trust that nobody here has intentionally set out to hurt anyone, and try to pray for compassion, forgiveness and peace with each other. And to maybe help us make a fresh start, what if we decided to close this particular thread and began a new fresh one on the hurricane topic. I'm not trying to sugarcoat anything, or sweep anything under the rug. I'm trying to save Dotsie's vision, I'm trying to rescue this site from deteriorating any further.

What do you think? I'm not on any side here, I'm on OUR side, all of us, ALL OF US, no exceptions. I want us to work together, come together in care and peace and work through this anguish TOGETHER in care and compassion. Is that do-able?

I have to go to church now and will carry BWS in my heart and prayer this morning. Then I'll be spending the day playing with my 4 year old granddaughter, so won't be back here til later.

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/04/05 11:10 PM

Smile, thanks for this post. I have been totally confused here. I see nothing wrong in your statements. I was here in the morning and then head out to shop with my sister for a baby shower. Then I spent the rest of the day with my family and we headed off to a cook-out at a friend's home.

You may think this is weak on my part, but I think we need to carry on here. I'm beginning to think this was a next to perfect online neighbohood where we could share our hearts, but I'm beginning to wonder as this baby grows how this can continue. It saddens me that women are being misunderstood and attacked. This is not the intent of the forums. Quite the opposite.

The sermon this morning was about conflict resolution...doing things that Matthew 18 way. When one is hurt, you go to that person alone and address the situation and concern. WHen they don't get the message, you go with another person to be certain there are no misunderstandings, If the problem remains, you make the audience bigger. When there is no resolution, guess what...you keep trying, but you don't have to prove your point. You forgive and move on, continually giving love. It's work. That was the minister's message. It isn't always easy. I'm pondering how this looks in thsi neighborhood.

Any thoughts?

I also have to mention that when I heard mention of the racial issue in the news this week in regard to New Orleans, I wanted to stick my finger down my throat. It made me so sick! I don't get the statement. We send relief all over the world to every race imaginable. Do we not?
Posted by: leigha

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/05/05 12:27 AM

There are no words to describe the terrible and horrific experiences that people have been subjected to in New Orleans. Their plight, their anguish, their fear, their terror and their fear for their future.

How many of us have experienced what they have experienced, years of poverty, years of being side-lined by the economics system, years of being neglected with no inward hope for a different life. And now this...a city devastated beyond repair, hearts devasted, lives devastated and no future in the minds of many.

What can we do ladies? Can we find the hearts within us to pray and help those in need, if not indeed physically but with good-will and strong hearts. Can we understand that there are many forces at work here? There is economics, there is politics, there is policy, all relative to these moments and why New Orleans is under water. Many answers, many arguments and yet what is it that matters most?

That we love! Just love! No judgement, no fear, no retribution over who is right, who is wrong, why disasters happen. Just love! For that is what this world truly needs.

Love shall overcome the world's plight. Love shall overcome the pain and hearts wounded by life and the forces they have no control over.

Just love and how that love shows up!

May God Bless every woman, man and baby in New Orleans with a brighter future, a more loving future and a more prosperous future...and may the forces that be supply it! Our hearts!

With love
Leigha

With love
Leigha

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/05/05 03:49 AM

Beautifully said, Leigha

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/05/05 05:08 PM

This morning I was watching CNN and was so hopeful to see the Colonel they put in charge of the hurricane zone is a capable man. I was moved that he rode into NO and started yelling at troops and police alike to stand down their weapons- that these were the people they were sent to help. I was glad he said that these people had helped each other- had gone into the stores to get food to survive.I was finally hopeful that someone appeared to be in charge and honored the humanity of those who had gone thru hell. Bless Col. Honoree-and just hope he is allowed to fulfill his mission to rescue and rebuild!

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/05/05 06:17 PM

PAttyann, I can hear the hope in your post. I stayed away from the hurricane news yesterday. PErhaps I'll check in with the situation later today. I pray I can see a difference for the sake of all those suffering.

I continue to have a hard time wrapping my mind around the nothingness these people are left with. It is at times like this when faith holds the key to the future. I was tickled to see a clip of men, women and children singing Bible songs, smiling, serving food to strangers, and praising God in the midst of their pain. I'm praying more people will begin to spread the gospel.

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/05/05 06:39 PM

Dotsie, I too continue to grapple with that agony of nothingness. It hits me every moment of the day. I look at pictures of my family hanging on my walls, and cry for those who lost not only their family pictures, but the walls to hang them on!

I too had to take a break from all hurricane news yesterday (hubby is worried that I'm not handling the pain very well and begged me to take a break), although I'm painfully conscious that those in the midst of it cannot take a break!

Still, the only thing I'm able to do from my little corner is pray for help for those in most need of it right now, healing for shattered lives and hope for those in despair this morning.

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/06/05 07:09 AM

I have so many friends who live in Gulfport/Biloxi/Slidel and I've sent out emails (despite the fact I know there's no responses at the moment) in hopes that I'll get an email from someone...so far nothing. I used to work at Stennis Space Center as a secretary and I've not heard how that fared...it's just north of Waveland which was wiped off the map. Two wonderful friends lived in Gulfport and I've not heard anything...Please, keep praying for those I worked with and my closest friends who I'm not hearing from. Hopefully, I'll be heading into Gulfport around the 17th with my girlfriend Nancy as she returns to see her home...she lives 7 blocks off the beach...my husband and I are going with her with our chain saw to remove trees and debris.
I sat on my front porch this morning having my coffee and felt guilty for having lights, a coffee maker that works, a house over my head...I went to church yesterday and prayed, donated money and we're going to donate our time but it still doesn't seem like enough. Nothing seems like enough at the moment.

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/05/05 08:07 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one that felt the need to take a break from Katrina news. I am feeling the same feelings of depression and helplessness as I did after 9/11. I'm thankful my family made it through, but am painfully aware of those less fortunate.

Dee, will keep your in my prayers, I hope you hear from them soon.

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/05/05 08:45 PM

Sherri,
Thanks sweetie. It's hard taking a break from it down here...we're sort of in the middle of it...not anything like NO or the rest of the Gulf Coast...but whenever we go out we see the destruction from the storm that went through here. My husband and I drove down to Fairhope area to see a home my girlfriend and her husband are purchasing...on the way back we went by the causeway and bridges that were hit (Mobile area) and saw the damage done...could see where the waterline is bldgs and hard to imagine the water got that high. Saw the oil rig that got loose and hit one of the bridges in mobile (that sucker was huge...I mean HUGE)...it just amazes me how much power the wind has when combined with water. People are still out of power here, still lines for food and clothing and the basics. Keep the prayers going boomer sisters.
Posted by: Katrinka

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/05/05 09:31 PM

Dee,
I'm so glad you are safe. I've been holding my breath and thinking of you as I watch the news.
Thanks for the good news.
Marie

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/05/05 09:34 PM

Marie,
Thanks so much for your concern. It touches my heart. Gosh, I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have you guys letting me know you're there...brings tears to my eyes.

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/06/05 01:35 AM

Thank God your son is safe. My heart goes out to his friends who lost everything. This entire situation is truly heartbreaking.

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/06/05 02:29 AM

I have only managed to post a couple of comments although a day late due to being very busy 18 of the 24 hours the day before these posts started. We have been collecting and packing boxes of food, toiletries, clothes, you name it we packed it. There is still much to do and I unlike some who seem to believe flapping their gums will do someone some good have been working my behind off to do some real good. We will have enough supplies to fill two aircrafts. I don't care who gets these supplies, what their nationallity is, their color is or there sex is, so long as someone in 'need' gets them. I would like to see everyone put their muscle where there mouths are and do something, everyone can do something no matter how small it might seem. We are Boomer Women, we are better than this bickering and I am going to speak out of turn here so listen up. Yes Smile came across a bit harsh but she has been there, done that and maybe has earned the right to be a bit harsh and for those of you that see racism in her comments, I'm here to tell you that she and I were on the telephone a day before those comments and she was telling me her and her husband were discussing taking in a couple of the "NEEDIEST" families and putting them up, she said she could make room in her large home. She was tearfull as was I at what we were seeing going on right here in America. This is the woman some try to say is a racist. Not true and I hope she stays my friend after me telling you this. I apologize to her ahead of time but this finger pointing has to stop and stop now. She simply has a different take on some things as do others. Unless you do not live in a glass house, don't even think of picking up that stone. I am of the white race (big deal) but my heart and soul are multi colored and always have been. God Almighty created us all, remember that please and be kind, be kind, be kind! [Wink]

[ September 05, 2005, 07:40 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/06/05 03:11 AM

Chatty, thanks for your voice, and for being an inspiration. I too have great respect and love for Smile...when I first arrived here, broken and lost, Smile's was one of the voices here that brought great healing and warm care into my lonely life. So I know first hand what a caring, loving, kind person she is.

I wonder if anyone else has noticed in the midst of everything else that's going on here that Smile's son-in-law is in the National Guard and has been in NO since the very beginning, including those early days when rescue workers were being shot at. She's been worried sick for his safety, and yet I can't recall anybody here asking her about him, including me.

Smile, I'm sorry for forgetting to ask about him for this long. Have you heard from him? And isn't your daughter also in the National Guard?

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/06/05 05:09 AM

Gee, what a difference a few days make. I went to Gatlinburg with some friends and any time we were in the condo, I had the news on, hoping and praying for the stranded victims to either get food and water and even better, get taken out of the city. 1 friend said watching it made her get depressed and it makes me sad also, but I couldn't pry myself away because I had to see people get rescued.

I was very surprised at the tone this thread has taken. I'm not sure if the offensive post was written before I left or after. The last post I read from Smile did not seem racist to me.

I believe the rescue delays and problems were due to the incompetence of the local and state governments and not based on race by the US. I certainly do believe there are racist people in this country, but our country as a whole is NOT. The Red Cross couldn't have collected $300M within just a few days if it was, or have people of all colors risking their lives to rescue those suffering. And even if a politician is a racist, they would not be stupid enough to do something that would cause him to get voted out of office in a heartbeat.

However, as we watched the happenings in NO, I was very shocked that there were very few poor white people who were stranded. Now, I am not familiar with the history of NO or the south and have only visited as a tourist. I realized that the poor were left behind, because they had no money, transportation or the good health to leave. Aren't there any poor white people in NO? Am I the only one asking this question?

Can we help each other understand?

Daisygirl

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/06/05 06:23 AM

Maybe you didn't watch enough of the TV coverage. I saw dozen upon dozen of poor whites in the Convention center waiting for help. There are more blacks as a whole that populate New Orleans so of course there would be more in harms way. No one has mentioned the very large Asian commuinities either who needed rescueing. Today many of the rescuers were finding people still in their homes that REFUSED to leave no matter what the rescuers said. I don't understand this but I think its fear of the unknown and so many have seen Hurricanes every year and refuse to believe the City is not going to be business as usual. Larry King had Ex President Bush and Barbara Bush on tonight and he and Pesident Clinton raised in only 24 hours somewhere near $50 million dollars so far. We are people helping people, black, white, asian no matter, all are helping one another now when needed. God Bless us all.....

[ September 05, 2005, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/06/05 06:40 AM

A quick answer on NO history is that many of them settled there after slavery was abolished and just never left. This swamp land was not fit for much but these people made it anyhow. Many more were forced by there slave masters to build the levees to protect the surrounding parishes. Most of them were freed from the French and given parcels of swamp land. They built their houses on bricks above the water and started making the wonderful art we see there todate to sell. The freed slaves were from many different tribes so there was an eclectic array of fine arts, music and art combined to make what has shaped NO. Most of them made their money by sitting on the corners with bands they formed playing their music and relying on tips from locals and tourist.

The deep soulful sultry sounds of the authentic blues that song the words to the pain they'd experienced began as a hobby or just plain of family/friends entertainment. Music combined with the exotic culinary artists and the mystery folk became the lure of NO.

The Cajun is a combination of French, Spanish, Indian and Africans that banned together to try to make life work after slavery was outlawed.

Many of us will feel the impact of loosing such people...the food and music especially. But, on the brighter side of that, these wonderful cooks and artists will be distributed throughout America now. I know that when I make Cajun foods, especially gumbo, dirty rice and jambalya and Pecan pies and Praline and blackberry dumplings, friends and family will travel miles for the authentic delights.

You can Google the history of NO to get an array of perspectives. Not many of them will mention the very origins or the people in the background of the mystery that attracts the tourists. National Geographics, PBS and The History Channels have done elaborate documentaries that display some of the very people that refuse to leave right now. They are very private and non-trusting of many people. This was just passed down like cultural DNA.

There are many plantations that profit there too. Tourists go to see the chains and little shacks that have been restored to preserve this history. There is also an original ship that was used to bring in the human cargo. Those chains lay on the bottoms of the ships and about the ships.

Too bad all of the original history has been washed away but maybe it is time to really put that behind.

Sheree

[ September 05, 2005, 11:49 PM: Message edited by: Sugaree ]

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/06/05 06:42 AM

I heard many people didn't want to leave their homes because they didn't want to leave their pets behind. I know I would be very distraught if I had to leave my dog to such an uncertain fate.......I just couldn't imagine!

Yes, I did see some white people, but it was very disproportionate.

Daisygirl

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/06/05 08:49 PM

I've heard from one of my friend who lived in Gulfport...she emailed me to let me know she was way up North at an AFB...but no other news from anyone else...I've been looking for names in the Red Cross.org link and found my friend who lived near the Grand Casino/Hotel that was destroyed in the hurricane...at least she's safe...her house is probably destroyed...I'll know next week when I head out to Gulfport to see for myself and help where I can there. There are still many not accounted for. This is all so heart breaking.

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/06/05 09:20 PM

Sheree, thank you for the short history of NO. I read it the first time very late last night after a day of car travel. I am interested in finding more information and will research as I can find the time.

God can take any horrible situation and make something good come from it. I pray that the poor who were left behind will find a new and better life.

Daisygirl

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/06/05 09:59 PM

Sheree,
I've always been fascinated by NO and it's history- I know once these resiliant people put this beautiful city back together I am going to plan a trip there because the art and music and food can't be beat!!

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/07/05 03:16 AM

Been there as well and oh my goodness the sounds (music) and the smells(great food)was something you had to experience to appreciate. I do believe Bourbon Street and most of the historical places will rise again from the rubble around them. Some were hardly damamged at all. Maybe this tragedy will accomplish something that has gone unheeded far too long, the need to strenghten the levees...Much is now being done and with all eyes on the powers that be, much more will be done and done right...

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/07/05 06:35 AM

Ah, the city of New Orleans. It was so charming...the archictecture alone was unique, not to mention the people, the talk, the food, the music...
Having lived in Europe for 20 years coming back to the south was well, shall I say, not quite what I was used to. When I visited NO for the first time I was excited because it was the closest thing to being in Europe there was around here. I loved sitting in Jackson square watching the Jazz performers...man, you cannot sit still when they are going to town on the instruments. The artists selling their paintings, the fortune tellers, the street performers, and amazingly the mime's who could stand forever in one place...most fascinating. New Orleans will rise again out of the personal tradegy and it will be better than ever. Chatty Lady I think you're right...the powers that be will have to do things differently to protect the city...will it ever be 100% protected? I doubt it, but they'll come as close as they possibly can, I believe.

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/07/05 06:55 PM

Thanks for the reminders. They make me smile. I have been to New Orleans twice. One time my husband and I met friends there for a conference. Most recently our family went for my niece's wedding.

My sister who is still in Florida was interviewed for one of the local papers becasue she evacuated. Her quote closed the article with the following. I am so proud of her!

"I cry for this city," Wood said between sobs. "It's not the same city we danced in last weekend." Every Saturday they close the streets and musicians play and people walk by. "I am going back there and I'll tell you right now, I will work my job every day, and I'll go into that city and help rebuild it."

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/08/05 07:24 AM

Dotsie, what a wonderful quote. Thanks for sharing.

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/08/05 07:52 AM

Dotsie,

I've heard it said many times this past week that the New Orleanians have a lot of heart and perseverence and that's why we will see the city rebuilt. I hope so.

Daisygirl

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/07/05 09:01 PM

The first time I went to Louisiana, I felt as tho I belonged there my entire life. I was THISCLOSE to moving down south because of that.

My friends from Baton Rouge made sure I had the full experience. I did all the tourist things--from BR to NO. But they also taught me the history & showed me the different backgrounds of the people.

It was such an learning experience. I come from Long Island, NY. We are about a half hour from NYC. I rarely went into NYC--and life is/was just so rushed & nasty at times.

When I went down south, the people were so welcoming. They accepted you with open arms--& it was such a nice feeling from what I had known.

There were so many things that facinated me. I couldn't imagine living so differently. It opened my mind to another world. A world I am once again regretting I didn't join when I had the chance. I often wonder how my life would have turned out if I had moved to Baton Rouge.

I am learning that most everyone that I know who lived in NO/Metarie/Slidell have lost everything.
They are all safe, thank God.

I was just at the store & spoke with yet another person about the hurricane. Everyone can not imagine what it would be like to lose everything you have--your home--your family--your life.

Every other person has said that we have to do what little we can to help--for we do not know how it feels.

I am not relgious. But I have said a prayer every night thanking God for what I have--and to give those without the strength to survive.

I hope you are all well. Everyone is in my thoughts.

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/08/05 01:05 AM

There is no answers for the things done wrong, too slow or whatever other terminology will be given to this terrible disaster. Mother Nature dealt those people the kind of blow never before seen or felt in this country. It let us all know how vulnerable we are. Hopefully we will all learn from this and improve our personal preparedness for any future disasters. We have also shown other nations we are NOT the strongest nation we once thought we were. Our enemies will get ideas from this. This is the time to pull together, one and all, man, woman and child. There shouldn't be any sex, color or nationality barrier in this wonderful proud nation of ours. The people of New Orleans are the best example of that we could ever learn from, they ALL get along living side by side and working together hand in hand and thats one of the things New Orleans has always been famous for, they would be appauld to see others playing up a situation that doesn't even exist there. Nowonder they all want to go back home again. I was in Church today finishing up some boxes going out this afternoon to the Astrodome and went into the little side chapel to say a prayer and cried to think anyone would try and make this situation they're Political soap box agenda. Dam those people, they are not true Americans. Then it dawned on me, how we Boomers can be an example right here all of us together, we can stand strong as a group so when anyone slips in to read these posts (and many do) they can feel the love, friendship and comraderie we share and hopefully realize that if this large of a group of women can stand strong, hand in hand united with one another, so can they. God bless us all....Remember, united we stand...

[ September 07, 2005, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

Re: Hurricane Coming - 09/08/05 06:40 AM

Dear K,
Your email is touching and I'm glad you were able to experience New Orleans. If I know New Orleans it will be back better than ever. There's a spirit there that no hurricane can wash away...Maybe I'm naive, but I'd like to think that NO will come back stronger and better than ever. I loved going to that city and will miss it...I'm still trying to deal with Gulfport, Biloxi, Long Beach, Pass Christian, Bay St. Louis and Waveland being hit so hard...up until about 2 years ago those were the areas I knew...visited, shopped there, had friends there, lived there...I'm lucky I wasn't living there when this thing hit...friends I have there are still having a hard time dealing with the loss even though it's right in front of them. I'll keep praying for everyone who has been affected by this disaster. God Bless you K.