Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps

Posted by: Dotsie

Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 07/17/04 06:19 PM

Michael Phelps is the Olympian who is on pace to break the gold medal record set by Mark Spitz. Everyone remember Mark in his red, white, and blue Speedo? [Eek!]

Michael's face is everywhere. He is the poster boy for the Olympics this year. This time last year I mentioned him in the forums and only the locals knew him. I know that's changed because I've seen him on national televion and commercials advertising the Olympics. He's sponsored by Speedo and Visa among many other smaller companies. He was on Leno the other night and was awesome! I was so happy to see him smiling and carrying on. He also met Cindy Crawford and was filmed for the ESPY's this week.

Michael is from my home town. My oldest son went to elementary and middle school with him. Many years ago he played in our house.

I'm praying he breaks the record.

Please tell me you know who he is now!
Posted by: WizardofZA

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 07/18/04 08:05 PM

Yes, Dotsie, we've heard of him here in Arizona! There was a front page spread on him in the sports section just a week or so ago. I read recently, however, that he is rethinking entering all the events. True?

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 07/18/04 08:08 PM

He's withdrawn from one event. He is still entered in eight! [Wink]
Posted by: Toni

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 07/18/04 08:30 PM

Dotsie,

Not familiar with the name but wish him the best! To be in the Olympics is a major event and to have known someone makes it much more exciting!
Posted by: Kathryn

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 07/19/04 03:54 PM

Dots,
You'll be pleased to know that my oldest and his crew all got together w/ Michael just before he left for California. He is the same down to earth wonderful kid he's always been. Please remember to keep Michael and all of our athletes in our prayers. I worry about their safety in Athens.
Kath

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 07/19/04 03:59 PM

Kath, thanks for the update. My son called me last night while he was watching the ESPY awards because Michael was in the audience and up for one of the awards. [Big Grin]

Can you imagine? He's living the dreams of all the young athletes and I think it's awesome. He deserves it!

Keep us posted as you hear more. I remember that your son went to high school with him.
Posted by: Songbird

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 07/21/04 07:56 AM

Dotsie: [Cool] I've seen him in commercials.

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 07/26/04 12:50 PM

I ran into a friend at the food store the other day and her son and Michael are best friends. How cool is that?

She is thrilled for him. We were talking about his accomplishments and safety at the Olympics with goose bumps on our arms.

She's in these forums. I'm waiting for her to speak up. [Big Grin]
Posted by: Ellie

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 07/27/04 11:03 PM

Here I am - yes I read the forum all the time just don't post as much as I like - I read your note on Michael Phelps - yes he is one of my son's best friends and Michael actually calls me "MOM" which brings tears to my eyes. He has a special place in my heart and is such a down to earth "normal" kid. We are all praying for him he has alot of pressure with the 7 medals - My son talks to him almost daily and he seems to be doing fine just alot of hard training!!!! Please keep our special "son" in your prayers during this special time in his life. I will keep you posted to any new news - He was in People last week WOW!!!!!!!!!

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 07/28/04 04:57 PM

...and ESPN this week. My son showed me last night.

Please keep us up to date. Thanks Ellie!

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 07/29/04 10:14 PM

I don't know who else is following Michael, but I heard he's on the cover of Sport's Illustrated this week.

SWEET.

Ross is going to bring his copy home from his office today, unless someone has already stolen it.

Do any of you steal magazines from your doctor's office?

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 08/01/04 05:51 PM

Got the copy. It was still secure in the waiting room! [Wink]

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 08/03/04 10:00 PM

Well Dotsie you have to go back to the Dr. office for Time magazine -Michael is on the cover - he looks soooooooooo handsome---------We are so proud of him - I never even thought of this part of his swimming - the eyes just fill up with tears ever time I talk about it!!! The Sports Illustrated is interesting because there are 2 different covers one with Michael full and center and one with Lance Armstrong so make sure you get the right one!!!!

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 08/04/04 06:31 PM

Ellie, we got the one with all Mi [Wink] chael!
Posted by: stephy

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 08/22/04 09:04 AM

Well, Michael Phelps still hasn't gotten as much recognision as he deserves. He seems like a terrific person, even with all the moneys he's getting. It must have been great watching him grow up. When I first saw him I was like [Eek!] . Really, it was funny. I blushed [Wink] . Yeah. I think the only reason I watch the Olympic games is because of him. Well, tell him if he's ever in Los Angeles to e-mail me, I'll show him around [Cool] . That's me blushing. Bye!

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 08/22/04 03:46 PM

Stephy, WELCOME!

Was it searching for Michael Phelps that got you in here?

According to my stats page, lots of people have come across my site while searching for him online. I've seen strings like:
Michael Phelps diet
Michael Phelps religion
Michael Phelps high school
Michael Phelps home page
Michael Phelps breakfast
Michael Phelps home town
Michael Phelps girlfriends
Michael Phelps commercials

Just to name a few! [Big Grin] Isn't that funny? One of the best things I've done to increase traffic to my site this month was to post about him. Look at all the peole who've come here as a result. I also got an e-mail from a writer who pitches stories and was doing one about Michael.

Glad to hear you're enjoying watching Michael.

NOW does everyone know who Michael Phelps is?

I'm thrilled for him and everyone involved with his success. It takes so much to make an Olympic athlete and he's got it ALL! [Big Grin]

I'm hoping Baltimore has a parade for him when he returns.

I'm so glad to hear he's staying for closing ceremonies.

I was concerned at the beginning of the week when he won the bronze because of the pressure he was under to perform. But he came back and took all the gold...and so graciously.

I've absolutely enjoyed every second of the coverage about him. I'm grateful to see that it looks like he's having nothing but FUN! Doesn't it look like he's enjoying himself?

Also, how about giving his spot to his team mate? Is that cool, or what?

I can't wait to see him on all the talk shows. I'm sure he'll do the circuit!

In our morning paper yesterday they mentioned how all the teenybops are swooning over him. There's a site, www.michaelphelpsonline.com
Check it out! It's hysterical to hear the kids lingo about how hot he is.

One gal mentionedthat he was so hot she thinks that's why he swims...to cool off! [Razz] Too funny...
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 08/23/04 09:11 AM

I was so impressed that he gave away his spot on the relays, and his reason for doing so. That says as much about him as anything.

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 08/23/04 03:20 PM

Meredith, awesome, huh? Great kid!
Posted by: Dian

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 08/23/04 06:06 PM

I was touched when he gave the position to his teammate. Nothing like sharing the glory! I think the US should be proud we have a MAN who is full of kindness, modesty and being a good-neighbor.

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 08/24/04 11:53 AM

Hey Dotsie, thanks for having me. I'm glad to be here. Well, I was searching for Michael Phelps on google and I just saw this site and I went to it. Well, not everyone knows who he is but, my mom, my aunt, my 1 year old sister and I love watching him. The first time my mom ever saw him she said
quote:
He's so adorable!
When he won his first gold medal, I started jumping up and down. When we heard he was giving his spot to someone else we all said
quote:
Ahhhhhhhhh!
Well, like I said, if he comes to california, someone please e-mail me to tell me. I think the first thing I'd do if I met him was faint. Well, hope to hear from ya'll again.

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 08/25/04 07:14 AM

I'm getting a kick out of all the swooning that's going on!

I read that his coach thinks Michael won't realize what he's accomplished until he's forty years old. I tend to agree. He's just a teenager having fun with his passion.

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 08/25/04 11:58 AM

I agree too. As teenagers we don't have the mentality to appretiate things just yet. It takes time for us to really appretiate things. We just want to have fun and do good and once we have it we care but not as much as a 30 year old, 40 year old, ect.

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 08/31/04 11:32 AM

Michael's ganna be on the Wheaties box. How cool is that? [Big Grin]

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 08/31/04 09:04 PM

Way cool! [Big Grin]

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 09/02/04 08:19 AM

Well, I went on these xanga sites today because I wanted to know how many people actually knew about Michael phelps and he has alot of fans now and I was all like "how cute? he deseves this" But the again there are those crazy fans that if he even looks at another girl they get all crazy and it's scary. It's funny because they say "I love Michael phelps" but when you really think about it, they don't even know him and if they really "loved" him, wuldn't they be happy he's getting so much attention for his accomplishments and even if he's not with you shouldn't you be happy he's out there having fun, enjoying he's life? It's wierd, people take the word love too lightly these days. Well, if any of you know Michael and if he doesn't belive he has gotten so much fame and soo many fans, tell him to visit these site. I know he'll like 'em;) [Razz] [Big Grin] !!! Hope you visit these sites and keep on cheering on Michael!

[EMAIL]xanga.com/micahel_phelps_is_mine[/EMAIL] [EMAIL]xanga.com/michael_phelps_lover[/EMAIL][EMAIL]xanga.com/michaelphelps_isdamnsexy[/EMAIL]
[EMAIL]xanga.com/michaelphelps4ever[/EMAIL] [EMAIL]xanga.com/michaelphelpsbabe[/EMAIL] [EMAIL]xanga.com/michaelphelpsismine[/EMAIL]
[EMAIL]xanga.com/michael_phelps_girl[/EMAIL] [EMAIL]xanga.com/michael_phelps_girlfriend[/EMAIL [Razz]

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 09/02/04 08:31 PM

Hi - let me give you 2 adorable Michael Phelps stories - this was after he won all those metals!!! I was talking to him on the phone about all of his activities at the Olympics and 2 of his major thrills were having a coin to get free sodas, water and juice in the Olympic Park and also running into some famous basketball player who said "hi" to him in the Olympic cafeteria - so far he does not get it!!! He is the same lovable Michael as sweet as can be and so far it does not seem like it is going to his head at all - My son is actually going on tour with him to Chicago on some big celeb. bus after he leaves Baltimore - I don't know who is more excited me or my son!!!

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 09/02/04 10:37 PM

Stephy, thanks for sharing all those sites.

Ellie, I'm psyched for your son. I thinkhe's in for the thrill of a lifetime! I get such a kick out of all this. Do you know when the county's having the parade for him? I'll be there with bells on! [Big Grin]
Posted by: Hazel

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 09/03/04 01:39 PM

Hi, Michael Phelps is really a big name, i'm from Singapore. Before, during and after the Olympics, the newspaper writes abt him all time!! Its goes with headlines like" Phenomenal Phelps etc..and what can i say, this boy is UNBELIEVABLE!!! His pictures were all over the newpsaper for the past few weeks, he is famous, even in Asia! And i really admire him.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 09/03/04 02:00 PM

Hazel,
You are so right that MP is to be admired. Amen. And welcome to the forum. Are you from Singapore? Do tell us a bit about yourself! And once again, Welcome

JJ
Posted by: Kathryn

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 09/03/04 03:26 PM

Michael update....Baltimore County is hosting a parade and "Phelpstival" on Sept. 11. The parade will begin at Towson High School, Michael's alma mater and mine and my son's. He will be given the key to the county, a first in history. I saw an interview w/ Michael and his mom after the last event in swimming. Debbie is so amazing and Michael clearly adores her. I cried and cried as I watched them together. He gives her so much credit for his success. She's a really neat lady and a role model for mom's w/ teenagers, especially single moms.

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 09/03/04 04:00 PM

Hazel, glad you found us. Welcome to the neighborhood. Hope you'll hang around and post in the other forums too. I look forward to getting to hear from you and another part of the world!

Kathryn, I was psyched to hear about the festival. My daughter has a dentist appt. that morning and we're cancelling so we can attend. I wouldn't miss it.

Great point about his mom.

I saw him on Leno and got a kick out of the way Leno teased him for living at home. It made me realize that people don't realize how young he is. Leno joked about Mom calling while he was on dates. [Big Grin] I thoroughly enjoyed that interview because Michael was so relaxed and seemed to be having a blast. He laughed so much!

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 09/04/04 05:23 AM

Hey everybody, this forum is really cool, i'm lucky to have found it. Yea...i'm from the far far away tiny country in the south east, more than 10,000miles from America, Singapore.I'm already 25 but just couldn't resist the superboy, Michael Phelps. He is such an inspiration!

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 09/04/04 05:25 PM

Hazel, you aren't the first person who found these forums while searching for Michael!

Hope you stick around. It's fun to have a voice from another generation. Maybe you can give us some insight about how we're managing our young adult children. [Big Grin]

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 09/05/04 08:33 AM

Yeah...its so nice hearing from you Dotsie! I guess the young adults these days are better at making use of opportunity and we tend to give our best shots because we have nothing to lose. thats why we can see Michael Phelps phenomenal success. Thanks to Eminem(the coolest rapper in US), he mentioned this in one of his rap-Lose Yourself,"If you've got one shot, one opportunity,would you make full use of it,or would you let it slip.......you've got one shot, one opportunity,do not miss the chance to blow,this opportunity comes once in a lifetime yo..." See how powerful this lyrics were? It has some kind of impact on me. the pulsating music and lyrics really made me want to do my very best, and i can understand why Phelps listens to Eminem's music before he goes onto the stand...offf he goes and he did not miss his chance to make it big. [Wink]

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 09/12/04 12:02 PM

Dotsie, did you go see Michael yesterday? I saw the pictures from the parade when he was with him mom and I was all like "How cute". It was so adorable and sweet. Well, I hope he had fun, he deserved it. He worked really hard to get to where he is and I don't know him, but I'm proud of him [Big Grin] ! Yay MICHAEL!!!

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 09/12/04 09:51 PM

Stephy, indeed I did. It was the most excitement our community has experienced in years. It was such a happy occasion to celebrate. The atmosphere was infectious. Young and old alike joined to welcome him home and he didn't let a soul down.

I'm going to write an article about it one of these days.

My intention was to get autographs for my daughter and you, but the crowd was grand.

I'm going to ask Ellie to get these two posters autographed. He was at her house on Friday night!!!

Oh Ellie...where are you? Mind getting a couple autographs for us?

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 09/13/04 08:49 AM

Dotsie, that is so cool. I'm so happy you got to see him and glad everyone had fun. I begged my mom to let me go to Baltimore but, I couldn't [Wink] . Well, I'm probably going to go see him for the swim with the stars thing and I'll probably go ask for his autograph, so if you get to talk to him before that say "Oh, this girl on my boomer women speak site said she was going to come up to you and say hi. Her name is Stephy or Stephanie S." Wouldn't it be funny if he remembered. I'd laugh. [Big Grin] I'd probably blush too and say "Ahh, your my teenage crush." That would be a fun day at Disneyland. But I'm going October 2nd so i dunno if he'll be there. It would make my month if he was.

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 09/20/04 09:28 AM

Alright, maybe people may not know why I'm writing this but I had to, I don't know why but somethings telling me to do it. If anyone talks to Mr. Phelps, please tell him to be careful. Because he is such a sweet guy that people, especially girls at this time will try to take advantage of him. Alot of people want thier fifthteen minutes of fame and right now he is a valunerable target because he seems so truth worthy and sweet. Tell him that the best way to know if someone is sincere is to look into thier eyes and to look for love and friendship but to be careful when he sees obssetion and hate. I don't know why I'm even writing this, I was in the middle of praying and something just told me to write this. I don't know, but I also feel that he will meet someone very special in his life but I don't know where. But, he does have to be careful and most importantly, he has to be happy amd live his life. Can someone please explain to me where all this came from?

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 09/20/04 03:45 PM

Good points! I believe it came from the heart of a lovely youth who has her head screwed on straight. [Wink]
Posted by: DJ

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 09/20/04 06:57 PM

This is less a comment about Michael Phelps than about Towson in particular and American culture in general.
It's wonderful that Michael has had all that recognition. He worked hard, won lots of medals for the US and all that.
But don't we go overboard in our adoration of athletes?

I used to write excuses for my son so that he wouldn't have to go to pep rallies during high school because he wasn't involved in any sports. I think that if they're going to rally for athletes, they should also rally for artists, scientists, musicians, mathematicians, etc.

Hillary Hahn also lives in Rodgers Forge, just like Michael Phelps. But not a lot of people seem to know about her. She's a world class musician, at the age of 25. She records with Deutsche Grammaphone. Her career as a violinist is just beginning, but she's truly a gifted artist.
Why doesn't Towson honor her with a parade and a street name?

And last year, Peter Agre (of Stoneleigh, across the road from Rodgers Forge) won the Nobel prize for chemistry. Were there any parades for him?
Just goes to show what our priorities are.

[ September 20, 2004, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: DJ ]

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 10/11/04 10:46 AM

I read from news that Michael Phelps had a serious back injury. I am really sorry to know this, hope Michael gets a speedy recovery.

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 10/11/04 03:57 PM

Rumor control -Michael Phelps is fine!!!!!!! He is sleeping at my house as we speak!!!! - just a strain!!!!!!!!Came home to see his own physical therapist!!!!!! and is working out everyday!!! Believe me he is fine!!!!

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 10/11/04 04:37 PM

Ellie? Aren't you the lucky one? How fun is that?

Glad you can put a stop to that rumor just like that. [Wink]

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 10/13/04 03:42 PM

I'm glad Phelps is fine, Ellie! I want to see him swim again!!! ASAP!!!

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 10/18/04 12:30 AM

I'm so glad that Michael is fine. I was really worried about him. Sorry I haven't writen in a while but you, school.

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 10/18/04 12:30 AM

I'm so glad that Michael is fine. I was really worried about him. Sorry I haven't writen in a while but you, school.

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 10/22/04 05:20 PM

Forgot to tell you that my youngest son was at his friends the other night and Michael Phelps dropped in.

Yeah! He recognized my son as the "little brother" of my oldest son. How cool is that? [Wink]

It's odd to know someone who gains world regonition. I'm sure Ellie can tell us more about that.

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 10/22/04 10:40 PM

I am so glad your son got a chance to see that he is still the same old Michael - everyone who meets him for the first time can't beleive how down to earth he really is - We enjoyed seeing him so much on his last trip home he is gone for 2 weeks now - my husband and son helped him pick out his new car!!!!!!!!!!! and I got a ride!!!! He still gives me those "bear" hugs every time he sees me which of course makes me cry!!! Maybe we should start saving for a trip to China!!! [Big Grin]

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 10/27/04 01:56 PM

Oh Ellie...u are so lucky....

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 10/27/04 09:06 PM

How fun to think of Michael having fans in Singapore! [Big Grin]

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 10/29/04 05:00 PM

Now we know Michael has made it big time - Kids are dressing up as Michael Phelps for Halloween -
isn't that awesome - I saw it on TV this morning!!!

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 10/30/04 04:07 PM

I hope Halloween is a warm day. He doesn't wear much. [Eek!]

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 12/26/04 01:50 PM

I barely found out that Michael got caught driving under the influence. I know, it's been almost a month. Do you think the presure is getting to him or something of that sort? It doesn't matter because I'm still a very big fan of his. [Big Grin]

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 12/26/04 05:08 PM

I think he had been so disciplined for SO long and was probably with a bunch of friends and chose to join them in their cheer.

He made a mistake and hopefully he'll learn from it. [Wink]

Re: Olympic swimmer, Michael Phelps - 12/27/04 01:45 PM

Yeah. I think so too. But like I said, I'm still a very big fan of his [Wink] . Besides, we all make mistakes. No bodys perfect.