Savings Bonds for grandkids

Posted by: countrygirl51

Savings Bonds for grandkids - 06/11/05 07:39 AM

When our daughter died, we started a family tradition, which is becoming more expensive with each new grandchild. We take our pocket change and put it into a huge plastic coke bottle bank. When it gets heavy, we sort the change and put it into wrappers to take to the bank. Once there, it is counted again and converted into $50 savings bonds for each grandchild. We also took all the money we received in memorials for our daughter and put it into bonds for her daughter, Regan. Regan has about $6,000 in bonds now. Each grandchild has at least one bond, except for the one due in February. We hope the kids will use the money for college expenses.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Savings Bonds for grandkids - 06/13/05 12:09 AM

country, great idea. Every little bit helps. HOw many grandchildren do you have?

I hope we can do something for our grandchildren when our time arrives.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Savings Bonds for grandkids - 06/13/05 05:24 AM

Another thing you might try is an insurance policy that can be converted to cash or continued by each child when it is presented to them as a gift. I have one for Jason in the amount of $25,000 and it only costs $12.35 a month. I had one for Cristy and Jared and signed them over to them at age 18. Jared kept his and has added several thousand more dollars to it so he is insured if he should die and his live in girlfriend gets the cash. Crissy cashed hers in and bought a new car. Jason wants to go to college so he can use his for school if he wants to, his father also has one for $30,000 for him which costs only $14.35. I went through Globe and David went through Gerbers. These are so nice because if a child as an adult has an uninsurable condition these can not be cancelled.
Inexpensive and safe.... [Cool]
Posted by: countrygirl51

Re: Savings Bonds for grandkids - 06/13/05 09:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dotsie:
country, great idea. Every little bit helps. HOw many grandchildren do you have?

I hope we can do something for our grandchildren when our time arrives.

Dotsie, when the new baby arrives in February, we will have 8. I spent all day yesterday with Becky watching her 3 children, plus 2 of my oldest son's girls. My son and his wife recently bought a fantastic new house and were moving. I'm sure it was much easier without a 2 year old and a 3 month old to watch over. It was a long day, but I enjoyed spending time with the babies.