babyproofing

Posted by: DJ

babyproofing - 05/05/05 06:24 AM

My daughter will be travelling out here with my 8 month old genius granddaughter Ava next month, and she wanted to know if I know how to babyproof the house! Now she's telling me that babies need to be on schedules!

I wasn't as strict and by the book as she is as a parent. She keeps telling me what the doctors and the psychologists say. Well, I bet Ava will rebel and turn out like her grandma in the end. I suppose my daughter is rebelling against not having had enough structure? Ha! lately she tells me that I was the strictest mom of all her friends.
Posted by: unique

Re: babyproofing - 05/05/05 02:33 PM

Schedules aren't for babies; they're for the parents. There are only two things babies need: to be loved and to be. Look at the way kids act today - - if 'expert' advice was so wonderful, kids wouldn't be killing themselves, each other, and/or their parents. Think about it.
Posted by: DJ

Re: babyproofing - 05/05/05 03:49 PM

Yeah! And that's what I told her -- schedules are for the parents! But she went on about psychologists say, this and that. I started to say that I didn't care much for psychologists, but didn't want to get into an argument. Good point about the "expert" advice.
I must add that my daughter was rarely if ever sick, and never was hurt. I still don't think she ever experienced any pain (she had an epidural for childbirth).
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: babyproofing - 05/05/05 06:30 PM

I think this thread is funny. My son is now 20 and I'm not nearly as dumb as I was a couple years ago.

I guess we know what we're talking about until they begin having kids. Then we go back to being buffoons again.
Posted by: DallasGal

Re: babyproofing - 05/06/05 12:37 AM

I have found that I am more likely to give "Stupid Things Parents Do To Mess Up Their Kids" by Dr. Laura to a new mom than any other.

If a mom gets that expert advice before the other, then she may just feel that she can do something "right" without doing it like clockwork.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: babyproofing - 05/12/05 12:27 AM

Speaker, my son was home for a few days and is now back to school for a tournament and mini-mester in Europe. My buffoon ways must be disappearing a little because I hardly got any of those looks he used to throw my way. Actually, I think we've both grown up a little.