Biting Granddaughter

Posted by: Sandy N.

Biting Granddaughter - 02/13/13 10:12 PM

My granddaughter is almost two years old and recently bit her mom. Any advice on the most effective way to stop this behavior? She has only done it once (so far) but it was in anger. We definitely want to nip it in the bud. I've heard everything from biting her back to acting real dramatic (crying, etc.) so she'll know she hurt us.
Posted by: yonuh

Re: Biting Granddaughter - 02/14/13 03:09 AM

I wouldn't bite her back; that says it's okay to bite. I can't remember what we did when my kids did that but probably let them know it hurt and it's not okay. At 2, they don't know how to deal with anger.
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: Biting Granddaughter - 02/14/13 02:12 PM

Children do not have an extended realisation until older. so biting is not on...it just says "we are fighting" but removing her to sit by herself without bearing any grudge is a way forward.
Rewarding good behaviour ignoring bad is a way to strive to.
later its right to says "THAT was sore I am unhappy"

she will grow out of biting...she may even still be getting new teeth.
Posted by: Sandy N.

Re: Biting Granddaughter - 02/14/13 07:10 PM

Thanks for the feedback. My daughter-in-law and I didn't like the "bite back" idea either!
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: Biting Granddaughter - 02/14/13 10:19 PM

To add....always look for what makes the child angry..
A Antecedent....what triggers her
B Behaviour..... temper/ biting /stamping feet/ shouting
C Conscequence .... that is up to what Mother Father decide..time out..naughty step.???(I dont like naughty step)

Whatever is decided has to be consistent ..Always reward positive behaviour...wall charts with stars..praise and hugs.

We are all human...but these are guidelines that seem to work
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: Biting Granddaughter - 02/14/13 10:45 PM

I think my mother bit one of us kids back to train us not to bite, but when my kids bit at about that same age, I employed the "we'll discuss this and then you will sit by yourself in a corner and think about what you did," method of punishment.

So glad not too many people go for the "bite 'em back" routine. (Though if the biting persisted, my punishment would probably have proceeded to a swat on the butt and a threat to bite back if the perpetrator didn't mend his/her ways.)
Posted by: orchid

Re: Biting Granddaughter - 02/17/13 05:41 PM

I have never heard a bite back. It sounds very alien...

I think my mother probably scolded us. That was enough.