Baking w/granddaughter

Posted by: Di

Baking w/granddaughter - 12/21/08 08:52 PM

Children's cookbooks

Since baby Grace will be THREE end of January, I've ordered the above little cookbooks. Another vendor makes little girls' aprons which I will get as well. Maybe she and I will bake since she was so good with the place mat project at T'giving!

Just thought I'd share!

ETA: The offer expires on Dec 31.....so Hurry!

Posted by: chickadee

Re: Baking w/granddaughter - 12/26/08 08:34 AM

Little girl's aprons? How cute an idea. Do you have any pics?
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Baking w/granddaughter - 12/26/08 08:06 PM

Now thats a great idea Di, something grandmas and granddaughters can do together.

Re: Baking w/granddaughter - 12/26/08 08:11 PM

I bought a "cobbler" at our market on Wednesday. It has "Finding Nemo" designs on it. It's so cute...has three pockets and ties twice in the back.

Now I have to find small utensils.
Posted by: Dee

Re: Baking w/granddaughter - 01/02/09 02:28 AM

You'll have to take photos for us, Di. I bet she will look adorable in her apron, holding her cookbooks and utensils...let me know where you find little one's utensils...that would make a great gift.

You sound like a very special grandma.

Re: Baking w/granddaughter - 01/02/09 02:54 AM

(See pic below) Interestingly enough, I asked my SD today if Grace has baking utensils etc. You'd think w/two other "real" grandma's she would...but she does not. So, I'm glad I asked or I'd have to return them all.

there is a kitchen store in a nearby outlet mall. They had a complete set w/silicone pans, whisk, wooden rolling pin, spatulas, cookie cutters, for about $10. All unbreakable! Then I got her some mini-utensils that were 1/2 price.

the store is called "Kitchen Collection. http://www.kitchencollection.com/

I don't see the set I got but browse around. Maybe there is a store nearby your place!

Here is a pic of what I bought...

Posted by: Dee

Re: Baking w/granddaughter - 01/02/09 12:57 PM

how absolutely adorable. Now, that's a great idea. Will she be keeping the cooking utensils at your home or hers? If you keep them at yours, you could get a basket where she could keep her cooking items and when it's time for the two of you to cook, she could pull out her special basket (or box) or drawer, etc. I'm going to check out that web site...thanks!!!

Re: Baking w/granddaughter - 01/02/09 11:20 PM

She is going to be one happy little girl Di!

Re: Baking w/granddaughter - 01/13/09 12:21 AM

How often do you see your granddaughter Dee? Does she get to stay overnight sometimes? Have you ever taken her shopping to lunch and to buy a pretty dress? What fun girls can be.

Re: Baking w/granddaughter - 01/13/09 12:25 AM

Dee......I saw that the Kitchen Collection store near me got a new stock of those sets. Did you find any nearby?

These kids don't come very often, so I'll just leave her things at her house. I am looking forward to doing some kind of baking. Gosh, I remember those days so well. I was even around 11-12 and friends and I used to swap houses every Saturday and bake something. Then we'd "wax" the kitchen table with LOTS of dish detergent!
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Baking w/granddaughter - 01/15/09 06:44 PM

Seems EW and Dee should be out purchasing these itmes to bake with their grands.

Re: Baking w/granddaughter - 02/05/09 04:29 PM

Well, Grace's b'day has come and gone. Being only 3 years old, the entire baking set only thrilled her for a minute. Later on her mother apologized for Grace's lack of enthusiasm. But I totally understood! Way too much going on. Funny enough, every one at the party raved about it all!

So, we'll see if/when she uses it. The nice thing is the rolling pin is just like her other Grandma's tortilla rolling pin, so when she helps to make tortillas, she'll have her own tools!

Re: Baking w/granddaughter - 02/07/09 09:17 PM

Hummm, Di and I can remember awhile back when you were unsure of how to be a grandma. Well look at you now, practically an old pro. BRAVO lady!!! Love conquers so many of our fears.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Baking w/granddaughter - 02/10/09 01:10 PM

Glad to hear it was a hit. Whether she uses it now, or ten years from now, she'll always remember who gave it to her.

Re: Baking w/granddaughter - 02/10/09 02:51 PM

She just was not ready THAT day, but her mother just told us Grace already wants to "help Mommy in the kitchen". Next time we go over, I'll do something w/her!