Jody

Posted by: meredithbead

Jody - 07/24/07 07:52 AM

Jody is one of the original members of my exercise class (for breast cancer survivors) since 2000. She is someone who has always been there for whoever needs her in any way.

She has had breast cancer twice, with mastectomies both times. For the past 2+ years, she's been dealing with a host of metastasises. She's been through umpteen surgeries and rounds of chemo. Until last week, she was stable, active, and in good spirits.

This afternoon, Jody was admitted to the hospital because she's been throwing up non-stop. She's always made it through whatever life tossed her but this time it doesn't look good.

Please send prayers her way. Tomorrow, a bunch of us gals from the class will visit her in the hospital. I know your prayers will mean a lot to her.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Jody - 07/24/07 10:24 AM

Gladly Meredith. Some people seem destined for sorrow, why???
Posted by: Anno

Re: Jody - 07/24/07 01:18 PM

I am so sorry to hear about your friend, Meredith. She is happily added to my prayers.
Posted by: Dianne

Re: Jody - 07/24/07 01:59 PM

I will add my prayers too. This is so sad.
Posted by: starting over

Re: Jody - 07/24/07 06:48 PM

I'm praying
Posted by: chickadee

Re: Jody - 07/25/07 01:56 AM

Meredith, you have my prayers also. I hope Jody can come back from this once again. Give her our well wishes when you see her tomorrow.
Posted by: Edelweiss

Re: Jody - 07/25/07 05:32 AM

Well wishes and prayers from me too!

Re: Jody - 07/25/07 08:00 AM

Thanks so much everyone.

The gals didn't get to see Jody tonight because she's in exploratory surgery Hope there's better news tomorrow.
Posted by: Casey

Re: Jody - 07/25/07 02:35 PM

My prayers for Jody as well.
Posted by: Jane_Carroll

Re: Jody - 07/25/07 03:11 PM

Meredith

You're both in my prayers.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Jody - 07/27/07 03:58 PM

Meredith, I'm also carrying Jody and all you gals in prayer. My sister is a cancer survivor and I know how much her support group of women have always meant to her. I'm glad you are all there for Jody.

Re: Jody - 08/02/07 10:16 PM

Thanks to all.

An update on Jody -- she's still waiting for a new adjuvant treatment drug to arrive at her hospital so she can have weekly injections. This drug is similar to Tamoxifen in that it is hormonal-based. It's also supposed to (hopefully) shrink her tumors. Jody had 6 years on Tamoxifen which didn't work and numerous types of chemo.

This is her 5th bout of cancer in 14 years. She's always been a fighter and survivor, but this time it doesn't look so good. The tumors are throughout her stomach and bowels and she still can't eat solid food because it won't stay down. She was in good spirits but very tired when we visited.

Continued prayers, please.
Posted by: lionspaaw

Re: Jody - 08/03/07 01:42 AM

Meredith - add my prayers for Jody AND you to keep strong for her

Carolyn
Posted by: Songbird

Re: Jody - 08/06/07 01:24 PM

Hi Meredith: I'm praying for your friend, Jody. I know this is so hard, to see a loved one suffering. Please know we care. Blessings to you and your friend.

Re: Jody - 08/13/07 12:46 PM

Hi Meredith: How is your friend Jody doing? Any good news? Still keeping her in prayer!
Posted by: gerrbeck

Re: Jody - 08/14/07 06:28 PM

Meredith, I will keep your friend in my prayers also. She sounds like a friend of mine who has been dealing with the same sort of thing for about 3 years now. It's so awful to see someone we love have to suffer so much, seems so unfair.
gerri

Re: Jody - 08/14/07 06:56 PM

I also have another prayer request. A little while ago, my husband was reading the paper and asked me about the last name and age of one of my customers (who is also the grandson of a very dear friend). When he read the name of course my first thought was oh, he must have won the wakeboard competetion this weekend. No, he had been in a very bad car accident. He only has some bad cuts and bruises, but his girlfriend was critically injured. She has a broken pelvis, broken arm and leg, lost 4 teeth and face and entire body is covered in cuts and bruises. Thankfully, no internal injuries. She will be okay eventually, but will have a very long painful rehabilitation process. They were hit by a drunk driver who ran through a red light doing an estimated 80 mph! Our friend feels so horrible about his girlfriend, feels so much guilt. He was saying he shouldn't have asked her to go on this trip with him, he feels so much responsibility. Even though he was doing no wrong, they were wearing their seatbelts, not speeding, no alcohol on their part, they were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. One thing that was in their favor and I believe God had a hand in this...2 people that witnessed the accident stopped to help, they were a minister and a nurse. The minister said he saw Lane (our friend) get out of his car and walk around to his girlfriends side, when he saw her, he apparently fell to the ground and passed out. I felt so bad for both of them. I suspect the guy that hit them, if he lives as he sustained life threatening injuries, will be doing some time. This just makes me so angry! Thanks for the prayers!
Gerri

Re: Jody - 08/15/07 06:30 AM

gerrbeck, my prayers for the young man and especially the girlfriend. The penalties for drunk driving are so light they're almost insulting, but maybe this is not the right thread to discuss that.

Songbird and all -- Jody's medication finally came in (it wasn't readily available because it's so new.) It hasn't been in her system long enough to see results. Maybe in a week or 2. Still no solid food but she says she has a little more energy.

About 12 of us are getting together next week for a celebration where Jody is the guest of honor. She doesn't know what we're doing yet but probably suspects. I firmly believe in showing we care while our loved ones are still with us.

Re: Jody - 08/15/07 04:48 PM

I agree with you Meredith about the celebration for Jody. I am sure she will love it and you will be blessed in return.

Re: Jody - 08/16/07 01:56 PM

Meredith, what a beautiful thing to do! I strongly agree with celebrating others while they can enjoy it. What is love and appreciation if we don't show it? I am glad she got her medicine and has more energy. Still praying for the best! Let us know how the celebration turns out. I hope she really enjoys it to the fullest!
Posted by: Princess Lenora

Re: Jody - 08/16/07 04:24 PM

Dotsie, you said your sister is a breast cancer survivor. If I've understood correctly these last few years, I think your mother did not survive breast cancer. Was that from metasticized breast cancer? What is your status as far as check ups? Meredith, your friend sounds like what my mother is going through. The adjunct therapy they put her on is Femara, a hormone therapy. In my mom's case the cancer is squeezing out her lungs, just like your friend's cancer is squeezing her stomach, etc. Chatty, I wonder why some people are destined for sorrow. That is quite a question to ask, coming from you who has suffered so much as a widow, and a mother. Yet you proceed to be a bright/helpful person for others. Gerri, that is an awful accident you described.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Jody - 08/16/07 04:48 PM

Meredith, could I send a book as a gift to Jody? I would love to do this!

And add my prayers for the young man and his girlfriend. I hope he eventually realizes he is not to blame for what happened. Bless his heart, and hers. God will see them through it! Please tell them to stay the course and that you have total strangers covering them in prayer and love.

Re: Jody - 08/17/07 07:12 AM

Jawjaw, I'm sure she'll love a book! I'll email you about it.

Lynnie -- yes, unfortunately, in both cases.
Posted by: Edelweiss

Re: Jody - 08/17/07 08:22 AM

JJ, you really are an angel.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Jody - 08/17/07 09:21 AM

Lynn, thansk for asking. Mom did not have breast cancer. It was lung. I go for check-ups at elast annually, but after the last one, I have to go back in six months. I feel ike that office is one of my hang outs, but better safe than sorry.

JJ, great idea about your book. That will make her laugh.

Re: Jody - 08/23/07 01:12 PM

Meredith, I'm praying that your friend Jodi is doing better with the new medication.

Gerri, I pray your friends are recovering from this awful accident. Blessings for all!

Re: Jody - 08/21/08 11:51 PM

I'm bring this back up to refresh anyone's memory and for any new gals who didn't know the situation.

My friend Jody died at 2:30 this afternoon. I'll write more in Loss.
Posted by: Dancing Dolphin

Re: Jody - 08/21/08 11:58 PM

Oh Meredith, I'm so sorry. My heart goes out to you and her loved ones.
Posted by: dancer9

Re: Jody - 08/22/08 12:12 AM

Meredith, hon, I can't be sorrier for your loss! I just saw this and read through it all. I can't imagine how you must hurt but I do know the love you have for your friends. It seems such a waste and that your friend had such a hard time of it those years!
I'm sure you have your faith and your prayers to comfort you but let me offer myself as someone to talk to at any time, if you need to talk about her.
You and I are in the same time zone more or less, so keep me in mind.
God Bless you for your friendship to this woman and for you being there for her throughout. I'm sure you were so, so helpful.
Dancer
Posted by: Songbird08

Re: Jody - 08/24/08 11:59 PM

Meredith, I'm truly sorry for your loss. Please know that we'll keep you in prayers. May the memories of your friendship help you during this most difficult time. Sending a hug for you!