Your Prayers for Newcastle Please

Posted by: SharonE

Your Prayers for Newcastle Please - 06/09/07 08:01 AM

Our city was battered by a very severe storm last night, causing untold damage, extensive flooding, and loss of life. A coal frieghter (225 metres long) has been washed up on our main beach and is in danger of breaking up and causing an environmental disaster if its fuel deisel & oils eacape into the sea.

The city, and our region, have been declared a 'State of Emergency.'

Our electricity has just been restored but I don't know for how long. We have just learned that another storm front is due to hit us again tonight in a matter of a few hours. Our suburb already looks like a war zone... trees down everywhere, cars abandoned - many crashed into shop windows and launched onto footpaths from the force of flood waters, emergency vehicles stranded, bridges washed away, debris in the streets, people wandering aimlessly in shock, etc. People say its the same all over the city.

It was very scary last night and although we sustained only relatively minor damage compared with the majority of people, I am unsure what tonight will bring. Family have gathered here, as we are on high ground.

Could I have your prayers please for our safety, for those who have lost loved ones, for the families of those who are missing, and for those just trying to make it through the night the best way they can in their flooded homes.

Thank you so much.
(I will let you know how things look tomorrow if we have electricity & internet)
Posted by: chickadee

Re: Your Prayers for Newcastle Please - 06/09/07 09:01 AM

Sharon, my prayers are with you tonight. Ladies, lets start a circle of prayer for Sharon and her neighbors.
May God spare you and all, sister, Amen.
Posted by: Anno

Re: Your Prayers for Newcastle Please - 06/09/07 10:46 AM

You got it Sharon. I am in, Chick.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Your Prayers for Newcastle Please - 06/09/07 11:35 AM

Sharon, absolutely. I can hear the fear in your voice. I''m glad you are all together and will pray you make/made it safely through the night.
Posted by: Jane_Carroll

Re: Your Prayers for Newcastle Please - 06/09/07 12:30 PM

Sharon...God is with you and so are we!
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Your Prayers for Newcastle Please - 06/09/07 12:51 PM

Sharon, I just saw this. May God hold you in the palm of His hand. Please let us know you are safe and out of harm's way, when you can. We're all praying for you and yours.
Posted by: Eagle Heart

Re: Your Prayers for Newcastle Please - 06/09/07 12:58 PM

You're in my heart and prayers throughout the coming days.
Posted by: Dianne

Re: Your Prayers for Newcastle Please - 06/09/07 03:03 PM

Oh, gosh. Yes, of course I'll pray.
Posted by: Dancing Dolphin

Re: Your Prayers for Newcastle Please - 06/09/07 03:49 PM

We're with you, Sharon. Please take care and let us know how you are.

Kathy
Posted by: Edelweiss

Re: Your Prayers for Newcastle Please - 06/09/07 08:54 PM

Sharon I just checked out the Australian news, and saw the ship stuck in the sand. What a sight, and the pictures of cars floating along the streets, wow. Thank God nothing serious has happened to you. It must have been terribly frightening.
My prayers are with you and the other victims.
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Your Prayers for Newcastle Please - 06/09/07 09:39 PM

Sharon, my hopes and prayers for the best possible outcome in a frightening situation.
Posted by: SharonE

Re: Your Prayers for Newcastle Please - 06/09/07 11:31 PM

Chick, thanks for rallying the girls to start a prayer circle for us. Thank you so much everyone for your prayers and support. Knowing you were all out there praying for us all, carried me through the night and lifted my spirits. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help.

It has been a nightmare couple of days, but thankfully we are all safe.

Our city and region have now been declared a Disaster area.

Information is a bit sketchy, but it seems that flood waters are subsiding in Newcastle (where I live) but 3 other regional towns are under water with the floods expected to peak some time today.

Hanelore, I just heard that the freighter on the beach has remained intact overnight, so we may have been spared from the much feared environmental disaster from leaking fuel & oils. It is an amazing sight isn't it. The images you would have seen are just 200 yards form our city's CBD and central train station.

It is eerily quiet with only the sounds of helicopters, chainsaws, and sirens in the distance from time to time. The torrential rain and wind have subsided so we are going to venture out and start the clean up. It feels good to be able to move forward.

Once again, thank you all.
Posted by: Saundra

Re: Your Prayers for Newcastle Please - 06/10/07 12:35 AM

Sharon, sorry I came to your aid late. My prayers and hopes for everyone during this time are with you.
Posted by: Edelweiss

Re: Your Prayers for Newcastle Please - 06/10/07 09:14 AM

Thanks for letting us know that things have quieted down. Do you have mud in the cellar? Oh boy, fun clean up time.
Posted by: Songbird

Re: Your Prayers for Newcastle Please - 06/10/07 07:42 PM

Sharon, I'm praying for your safety and hoping for the best in this situation.
Posted by: Jane_Carroll

Re: Your Prayers for Newcastle Please - 06/10/07 08:13 PM

Sharon...so glad you are safe. Keep us posted...