The jury is still out

Posted by: bamgibbs

The jury is still out - 01/25/07 02:10 AM

My daughter's boyfriend was gunned down at the Mall the day after Christmas 2005 and the murder trial for the boy who "allegedly" committed the crime has been going on this week. I'm asking for prayer for my family and my daughter's boyfriend's family. It's been a crazy week! The jury began deliberations this afternoon but went home without a verdict.

Peace & Blessings,
Beverly Mahone
Author, Whatever! A Baby Boomer's Journey Into Middle Age
http://www.talk2bev.com
“We are Strong…We are Invincible…We are Baby Boomers!”
Live to be DRAMA FREE Seminars coming Soon!
Posted by: Dancing Dolphin

Re: The jury is still out - 01/25/07 04:18 AM

How is your daughter doing, Bev? Does this trial thing bring all her emotions back up again, dragging it all out for so long? Do you think it will bring closure once it's finally over?
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: The jury is still out - 01/25/07 04:47 AM

Beverly I'm so sorry to hear this. How terrible for everyone involved. I will certainly keep your daughter AND you in my prayers. How horrible that she has to relive this and see it in the media daily. God hold you close, and bless you all.

Re: The jury is still out - 01/25/07 12:52 PM

We're preparing to head back to court. Thanks Kathy and Queen JJ for your words of encouragement and prayers. 2006 was one heck of year! I'll let you know what happens.

Peace & Blessings,
Beverly Mahone
Posted by: TVC15

Re: The jury is still out - 01/25/07 01:09 PM

I'm with you too Bamm! What an awful thing to have happen.
Posted by: Dianne

Re: The jury is still out - 01/25/07 03:26 PM

How tragic and how awful for all involved. I will be praying also. Please keep us updated.

Re: The verdict is in... - 01/25/07 10:24 PM

Guilty of first degree murder...sentence...life without parole!

Peace & Blessings,
Beverly Mahone
Posted by: Anno

Re: The verdict is in... - 01/25/07 10:45 PM

I hope the verdict brings back peace of mind and heart in some way.

How is your daughter doing?

Re: The verdict is in... - 01/26/07 12:13 AM

Yes, let us know how your daughter is holding up. I'm sure with you by her side it was easier to bear. At least you will not have to worry about him every being on the streets again and harming someone else.
Posted by: Bluebird

Re: The verdict is in... - 01/26/07 02:05 AM

Beverly, I will say a prayer. We should all be praying for the juty, too, because I am finding out this week, how hard it is to be a juror. I've been there since Monday and it should last at least 4 more days before we deliberate. It is not a murder charge, but a very serious one, nonetheless.
((HUGS)) for you, dear lady.
Posted by: Jane_Carroll

Re: The verdict is in... - 01/26/07 08:42 PM

Beverly,
I hope that the end of the trial and the verdict bring closure and peace to your daughter and his family...what a tragic story.

Re: The verdict is in... - 01/27/07 04:01 PM

Thank you all so much for your prayers. We woke up on Friday physically and mentally drained but we are rejoicing because we finally have some closure. Quan's grandparents (who raised him) seem to have NEW LIFE.

You know, the morning of the verdict, his grandmother called to say she didn't want to go to court because she couldn't bear it if the jury had found the killer not guilty. She said she had lost her faith in God. We talked for a few moments and I finally convinced her she needed to be there. When I hung up the phone, I thought "This must be what it means to be a servant for the Lord."

Even though my daughter and I have suffered emotionally, it doesn't even begin to compare to what they have been feeling.

But now we can all move on.....

Peace & Blessings,
Beverly Mahone
Have you subscribed to the Live to be DRAMA FREE Newsletter yet?
Posted by: Edelweiss

Re: The verdict is in... - 01/29/07 08:03 AM

So there is justice time and time again. So glad this is behind you and you can move on.
Posted by: chickadee

Re: The verdict is in... - 01/29/07 08:22 AM

Bev, I am glad to hear that this is over. I will keep all of you in prayer.

chick
Posted by: Dee

Re: The verdict is in... - 01/30/07 04:15 AM

Bless your heart. I'm so sorry your family has gone through all of this. You have immense strength. I just read what happened and I am so sorry. I'm glad that the murderer will no longer be able to walk the streets and have his freedom. God Bless you.
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: The verdict is in... - 01/30/07 05:32 AM

Bev, I'm glad this horrible time of your life is moving on to better things. I'm equally glad that a just verdict was served.
Posted by: celtic_flame

Re: The verdict is in... - 01/30/07 08:45 PM

it's good to know that sometimes those that commit crimes do get their justices.Prayers for all of you as you enter a new phase of life ,good luck

celtic_flame
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: The verdict is in... - 01/31/07 01:10 AM

How did I miss this? I'm sorry to learn late. I would have loved to pray for you all during the trial. How is your daughter?

Re: The verdict is in... - 01/31/07 04:32 AM

We are breathing NEW LIFE this week. God's Word tells us that He will be our comfort in times of distress and He was true to His word.

I thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. My daughter, Janie, is holding up very well but I can tell she is still feels some sadness over all of this. It's times like this when the faith of a young person is REALLY TESTED and I'm hopeful that all I've tried to instill in her comes forth.

Peace & Blessings,
Beverly Mahone
Subscribe to the Live to be Drama Free Newsletter today

Re: The verdict is in... - 01/31/07 07:39 AM

They say that something good comes from everything. I'm not sure this is true always, but in this case the blessing may very well be that you see her faith hold fast during a time when it would be much easier to blame someone; God, for instance. I'm sure you have taught her well, and provided a good steady example of how to walk in faith, Beverly. The good of all this will be you getting to witness her own faith in action.

I pray that healing comes swiftly to all concern.
Posted by: Dee

Re: The verdict is in... - 02/01/07 03:45 AM

I saw something the other day that said, "If God brings us to it, he will get us through it." Gives me hope for anything.

Re: The verdict is in... - 02/01/07 05:03 PM

Wanted to update everyone on the trial I was sitting on. We deliberated for 4 1/2 hours on Tuesday. The guy being tried was charged with sexual assualt, menacaing with a deadly weapon and 2nd. degree kidnapping. We had no trouble agreeing on the first two charges, but were deadlocked on the third. We sent the judge a question and his answer cleared it up for the 3 who were insure. We found the guy guilty on all 3 counts. We all felt better afterwards, when the judge came to the jury room and was finally able to tell us of the guys' "priors". His first assault was at age 17 (he's 44) and he had raped several women, including an 8 month pregnant one. He had also been charged once with attempted murder. He had come to our town in a stolen car and raped a 66 year old woman in MO, before arriving here!
He will be sentenced in early April and I know the judge will put him away for many years, hopefully, till he dies.
Posted by: Lola

Re: The verdict is in... - 02/01/07 09:01 PM

Hi,Jackie: Were you sequestered for the duration of the trial or only during deliberations?

Re: The verdict is in... - 02/01/07 09:05 PM

We were not sequestered at all and the deliberations only took a few hours.

Re: The verdict is in... - 02/01/07 11:18 PM

Bluebird, everytime I see one of your posts, I see Oprah on her trip across the nation. Is that funny?

I have to wonder about a system that does not allow priors to be admitted in evidence when they are directly related. Any lawyers out there that can explain this to me?

I am glad deliberations went quickly. Thanks for sharing.

Re: The verdict is in... - 02/01/07 11:28 PM

I don't want to cover this thread but my girlfriend's son has been in a head-on automobile accident and is in ICU. They really need our prayers. Thanks.

Re: The verdict is in... - 02/02/07 08:07 AM

Dianne, you have my ongoing prayers. I'm so so sorry to hear this.
chick

Re: The verdict is in... - 02/02/07 02:44 PM

I'm so sorry to hear this, Dianne. I will keep him in prayer. My son was in an accident in Dec., but despite being in the front seat w/no seat belt and rolling 2 1/2 times, got out w/o a scratch.
How old is the boy?

Re: The verdict is in... - 02/02/07 03:10 PM

Oh Dianne, that's rough. My son's friend was nearly killed in a head-on three years ago. He was 17 at the time, and a car passed another car and hit him. He was in a tiny little Kia, so he had no protection.

This boy was in a coma for about two weeks, and they weren't sure he was going to make it. Then, after he woke up, they weren't sure if he could read, write, etc. After about one year of intensive physical and other types of therapy, he is now a college student studying to be a lawyer.

He has speech problems, and a strange way of walking, but he's back.

Give your friend our love and support, k? This is so hard for everyone.

Re: The verdict is in... - 02/02/07 07:50 PM

He's 17. He's bleeding internally and they haven't found the source of it yet. I've been just sick over this.
Posted by: Lola

Re: The verdict is in... - 02/02/07 08:06 PM

Oh gosh, Dianne. I'll surely pray for your friend's son. Please keep us updated.

Re: The verdict is in... - 02/02/07 09:31 PM

The news continues to get worse. He has a hole in one lung, both legs are broken and the spleen has been damaged. I'm just sick at heart over this.

Re: The verdict is in... - 02/03/07 12:00 AM

Dianne, have faith. Kevin (the boy we knew that was hurt so bad) had internal injuries but no broken bones. But the head injury was the most serious, and he's alive and well today. A little different, but alive and well.

Hang in there, it's amazing what those docs can do!

Re: The verdict is in... - 02/03/07 01:53 AM

Dianne, there is hope. Our prayers are strong here, don't forget. Still keeping him in mine. Added you too.

Luv
chick
Posted by: Edelweiss

Re: The verdict is in... - 02/03/07 08:55 AM

Dianne, your friend's son is included in my prayers too. Please keep us posted.
Posted by: Songbird

Re: The verdict is in... - 02/03/07 12:09 PM

Dianne, I'm praying too!

Re: The verdict is in... - 02/03/07 02:50 PM

Thanks Ladies. The internal bleeding was coming from the spleen but the body being so amazing, it is beginning to heal itself so that's one less worry.

He's had surgery on his leg and they put pins, rods in it. He won't be walking for some time.

They removed the tube into his lung but had to put another one in as the hole was larger than they realized.

His "wonderful" father has only been in to see him twice. Nice.

Re: The verdict is in... - 02/03/07 03:06 PM

Dianne, I just noticed this and you can be sure he will be in my heart and prayers.

I am glad to hear that he is healing and sorry to hear that his father is so detached. How is his mother doing?

Re: The verdict is in... - 02/03/07 06:39 PM

Thanks. He's not out of the woods yet. The doctor said his injuries have a 40% mortality rate and he's lucky to still be alive.

He broke his femur in half! I can't imagine how much that hurt.

His mom is holding up. She's a strong woman. She's living at the hospital.
Posted by: Eagle Heart

Re: The verdict is in... - 02/04/07 02:16 AM

Dianne, my heart is sending waves and waves of hope, prayers and strength your way. I will be carrying this young man in my heart-prayers throughout the coming days. Hang in there, friend.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: The verdict is in... - 02/04/07 03:52 PM

I was wondering where you had gotten to Bluebird, been awhile since I've seen you here.
Bamgliss its so sad, one youth kills another and both are lost forever.

Re: The verdict is in... - 02/04/07 04:31 PM

Your prayers have worked! If he continues to heal, he might get to go home today! Will be flat on his back for a while but the punctured lung is okay now. Whew...this has worn me out. His mom is overdue for a long rest.

Re: The verdict is in... - 02/04/07 09:37 PM

Very happy to hear this update Dianne. I will continue prayers for all. Take a time out for yourself with some pampering. I know this threw you into a tailspin.

chick

Re: The verdict is in... - 02/04/07 09:54 PM

Great news, Dianne. I imagine the last few days have been frightening and tiring for all.

Who will take care of him when he goes home?
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: The verdict is in... - 02/04/07 10:02 PM

Dianne, great news. Sometimes these youth get a second wind when they get home. Make sure he doesn't do too much. The human body is truly amazing. Thank God for his doctors. Sounds like they must have been on top of everything.

Re: The verdict is in... - 02/05/07 03:07 AM

His mom and her sister along with other relatives will be available. If I was there, I'd be right in the mix. I've contacted all of our friends and they are going to kick in too. Only the young can heal this quickly!

Re: The verdict is in... - 02/05/07 05:06 AM

Dianne, what part of the country are they?

chick

Re: The verdict is in... - 02/05/07 03:06 PM

Nashville, TN. Wish I was there right now.