Prayers for Employment

Posted by: Anonymous

Prayers for Employment - 11/03/10 03:04 AM

God be with me today in finding employment.
Lead me to work that I love, and that has value.
Guide me to a place with an atmosphere of respect
And cooperation, in a safe and happy environment.
Help me to find fulfillment mentally and financially.
Thank you God, for bringing this to me today!

---

Lord, you are a loving Father and generous to your children.
You bless and inspire the world with your good work.
Help me in my search for profitable work
So that I may care for my own as well as you have cared for me.
Thank you Lord, for your loving guidance today. Amen!

---

Dear God, I place my humble needs before you.
My need to meet my responsibilities in the world.
My need to use my God-given talents and abilities.
My need to fulfill my place here on earth.
I pray for Your guidance now to show me the way
To the perfect opportunity to do what I love,
To do what I can do well, and what will fulfill
My needs mentally, spiritually, and financially.
Help me to walk in faith as You show me the way!
Thank You, Lord. Amen!

---

Employment prayer for those who have lost their jobs:

Lord, I am coming to you today with a heavy heart
Filled with regret over the past, and anxiety for the future.
I am out of work, and my finances are in deep trouble.
I have made many mistakes. Help me to forgive myself, and
others, so that I may make amends with all concerned.
Grant me peace of mind, so I can fill my life with your
goodness and grace.
Guide me toward a good job where I may fulfill my needs
as a better and wiser person.
Thank you Lord, for listening to me and helping me today.
Life is not always easy, but I will strive to remember that You
are always there to help me
As you are right in this moment. Thank you!

---

God, our Father, I turn to you seeking your divine help and guidance as I look for suitable employment.
I need your wisdom to guide my footsteps along the right path, and to lead me to find the proper things to say and do in this quest. I wish to use the gifts and talents you have given me, but I need the opportunity to do so with gainful employment.
Do not abandon me, dear Father, in this search, but rather grant me this favor I seek so that I may return to you with praise and thanksgiving for your gracious assistance.
Grant this through Christ, our Lord.
Amen
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: Prayers for Employment - 11/03/10 07:34 PM

Wow! Mustang, Thanks for sharing those beautifully written prayers. I am sure you will receive answers, of course.

Re: Prayers for Employment - 11/09/10 04:30 PM

Well, I had a telphone interview that went well yesterday. If not selected, then at least I've learned something from the process.

I have another interview with another firm next Thursday and pray that will be my new working home. It is my understanding that this firm has good ethics and a Christian foundation.

Wish me luck!
Posted by: yonuh

Re: Prayers for Employment - 11/09/10 07:04 PM

You got it, Mustang!

Re: Prayers for Employment - 11/10/10 02:41 AM

Thank you!

The telephone interview has turned into an in-person interview; however, I admit that I don't have a good vibe for this company after speaking with the office manager today. Will let ya'll know how it goes.

I remind myself that I'm interviewing them as well- an employment contract involves two parties and I'm not looking for an unsatisfying relationship with a new employer. I try to think about what I want out of a new employment relationship and how to determine if they can offer what I want and need.

Re: Prayers for Employment - 11/12/10 02:55 PM

The interview today did not last very long. I so had rehearsed. Anywho, I was 15 minutes early and the interview was only 12 or 13 minutes with the HR manager. I asked her questions about the firm's environment and computer systems. She seemed bored. Said that they were to interview 2 more people and would contact me. She only wanted me to tell her a bit about myself and where I wanted to be in 5 years. Perhaps I need to elaborate on that.

Just a really rough morning all around. I also was informed today that the fella who was interested in buying my home changed his mind and that his realtor would give an explanation later. Yet, what we've discovered is that he is only qualified for so much and he knew that I was not working and wanted to buy the home for the payoff -- which was absurd. Just b/c I'm not employed does not mean I can't pay my bills.

Re: Prayers for Employment - 11/13/10 12:25 AM

Mustang,

What a frustrating day! Sorry for all the bad news.

But hold your head up and keep moving forward. Remember, you have to "kiss a lot of frogs" before you find your prince of a job. And you are now one step closer to achieving it!

Anne

Re: Prayers for Employment - 11/13/10 01:02 AM

So in other words, the HR manager really put no thought into the interview questions. I'm so sorry, Mustang. But the right job for you is out there; look at these interviews as dress rehearsals for the big one!!
Posted by: orchid

Re: Prayers for Employment - 11/13/10 02:23 AM

I'm always amazed by people who say they landed a job after only applying to less than 25 employers who have posted positions.

That has not been my experience in my whole working life after university. Of course, it depends the types of jobs where one is submitting their resume/application.

And getting the opportunity to be interviewed doesn't happen for all those employers either.

For the question on plans after 5 yrs., keep that response short and appropriate for the employer. My response has always been no more than 1-2 sentences.

I'm not certain if some office managers are comfortable dealing with educated candidates who have been trained in specific professions which don't fall into the clerical pool. I was interviewed by one, who clearly was not comfortable with managing/supervising strong candidates with specialized skill sets that aren't clerical. She was asking all sorts of questions that made me sense she would end up micro-managing.

I understand the firm is STILL looking for the right person...after 5 months. Pretty bad since I know my colleagues who aren't horrible people, experienced and well-qualified for the job also.

So if you are applying for clerical positions, where you are overqualified and if the office manager will be your manager/supervisor, try to determine if s/he seems to have a good managment style that is willing and open to suggestions, ideas to problems on the job.
Posted by: jabber

Re: Prayers for Employment - 11/13/10 02:42 PM

Mustang,
Will continue praying that you find the exact, right job, so you
can be happy and enjoy going to work. Prayers and blessings! I've noticed some firms around here, have a revolving door when
it comes to employees. I worked for one of 'em for almost 10 ten years. That firm has since folded. I hope you find your dream
job, Mustang!

Re: Prayers for Employment - 11/14/10 02:52 PM

I love your prayers, Mustang. God is a good God. He'll come through for you, because it's obvious you love Him!

Re: Prayers for Employment - 11/16/10 09:32 PM

Well, I've not heard anything back from the interviews last week, although they did say they'd call me whether or not I was selected.

The interview at another firm for 11/18 has been cancelled -- I was not given a reason other than to "hold off" per the recruiter.

The firm I left in May for the "bad" firm is hiring, but won't return my calls.

Gosh, someone really must not like me!

Re: Prayers for Employment - 11/17/10 05:20 AM

Job hunting is always a majorly stressful experience IMHO, Mustang. I would try real hard not to take it personally, though I know that is easier to say than do.

I don't have any experience with selling security systems. But I do know a bit about sales jobs, having sold insurance for a year back in the 80s.

* Is this something you do by phone or by personally calling on businesses?
* Do they give you a base salary or is it strictly commission?
* Do they give you leads or are you on your own to find your prospects?
* Do they offer a training program to teach you how to succeed?

Business to business sales can be very lucrative, but it is a very different "animal" than working a job as support staff for a law firm. My best advice is to really analyze what's involved and then ask yourself if you feel it is worth giving it a good college try...

Re: Prayers for Employment - 11/17/10 05:59 PM

I called my prior employer (the one I left to go to new job where I was let go) and have applied for an open position there today. Who knows?

Re: Prayers for Employment - 11/17/10 06:44 PM

My SIL was recently re-hired by his old firm on a temp basis. He said the first day back was a bit weird, but all is fine now.

I wish you all the luck in the world, Mustang. You have been working so hard to become re-employed that I am sure you deserve the opportunity to go back to your old firm!

Re: Prayers for Employment - 11/30/10 11:51 PM

One of the law firms of which I interviewed sent me a letter stating that they hired someone else. Oh well. I was not that impressed with them, but so wished for a job.

Re: Prayers for Employment - 02/14/11 03:45 AM

Well, the past 3 weeks I've had 7 interviews and 3 scheduled this week. I bought a new interview suit and am trying to remain positive.

Some of the interviews are difficult and I'm certain did not go well; yet, I'm interviewing them, too. One interview the firm was insistent on meeting me and upon my arrival were very nice and I enjoyed my meeting with them; however, the were honest and informed me that they've already hired someone, they just wanted to meet me. Hmm, OK.

Another agency told me to call back the next week to schedule a 2nd interview, I did, no return call, and learned from someone at my old church that they were not hiring! OK, well tell me rather than pass on to a mutual 3rd party and not keep me hanging.

It took a long time, yet I did have 2 interviews with 2 separate federal agencies and soon a state agency.

I have expanded my job search to a 100 mile radius for those jobs that have benefits and are over $40K.

The law firm I mention in my 11/30/10 post above did hire someone else, then fired them. Glad I did not get that job!

Its really tough out there and the government is not keeping its promise to create jobs, there are people hurting everywhere, and the gov't wants to decrease unemployment benefits, yet those wall street folk the gov't bailed out aren't doing to shabby.

Enough of my rant and ravings!

Ladies, I appreciate your silent prayers.

Re: Prayers for Employment - 02/14/11 04:54 AM

Don't give up. I also had alot of interviews, Mustang. Before I got present job and also for last few jobs I've had.

See these interviews, as a means to sharpen your responses and to learn to think clearly with pleasant thoughts.

Are you doing any volunteer work?

Re: Prayers for Employment - 02/15/11 03:09 AM

I continue to pray for you, Mustang, and I am sure the rest of our active BWS group do as well.

You are doing all the right things, and now it is just a matter of perseverance, a stiff upper lip, a positive attitude - and maybe a bit of creativity. smile

The firm that said they wanted to meet you may have you in mind for some other position that has not yet "officially" developed. You know, a situation where they are hoping to gain some piece of business, and when that happens, they will need more staffing...

Or else they may have someone they want to let go, and recognized that you MIGHT be a good replacement candidate... (In other words, they can't yet advertise a position, as it would tip their hand on a situation in which they are not yet ready to declare an opening.)

I offer this second option based on talking to my brother in Dallas last week. He owns a granite and marble fabrication company and called me because he wanted my "take" on what to do about a woman he hired as a scheduler, who can't seem to manage her job.

She's been there six months and despite the fact that he personally has trained her, he says that he still has to review her work daily, and that she seems to have a problem with short-term memory.

The person who had been in this position BEFORE the current employee did not need the same amount of training.

He wanted to know what to do. I told him to replace her - if she hasn't learned the job in 6 months, she is not going to ever learn it...

But of course, he doesn't want to let her go and then have to handle her job himself, while he starts the search process all over again... (So clearly, HE would be an example of an employer who is looking for a new employee, but isn't yet ready to run an ad... see my point?)

And going back to the agency that told you to call back, but then you heard from a friend that they are not hiring: The fact is, a lot of positions are filled without an official opening ever being identified and advertised for...

So the situation might actually be that the mutual 3rd party friend just is not "in the know."

You are doing all the right things. Keep reminding yourself of that. And the volunteer work concept is a good one, as long as it does not keep you from having enough time to continue your search. The concept is, it keeps you busy AND gets you out in the world, which exposes you to more of those "as yet unposted" opportunities.

Re: Prayers for Employment - 03/06/11 06:10 PM

Hey ya'll, I've been working through a temp agency at a nice law firm for the past 2 weeks. The office is 24 miles one way from my home. Which is a typical drive for my local. The drive averages 40 minutes.

However, last week I received a call and have been offered a federal job! I will know the particulars next week and weigh the options. This is my dream job! However, it is located 85 miles one way from my home! The drive will be 1 hour & 20 minutes.

I will keep you posted.

Have I used my time unemployed constructively? No, not always. It is very stressful emotionally which affects my physical state. I can't hep but wonder or how I could have been more diligent. For instance, less fretting and more doing - either through volunteering or home projects. I could have stained my porch decking and painted that bistro set sitting in the garage. I never finished the book I kept putting down and did not always read my devotions. In other words I could have been more structured. I allowed too much negativity and not enough positivity.

And now my dream job comes along and its 85 miles away and gas prices are increasing!

Thank you gals for listening.
Posted by: Edelweiss3

Re: Prayers for Employment - 03/06/11 07:37 PM

WOW! This is wonderful news! Isn't it like that always...you wait and wait...nothing happens, and then suddenly you have several options thrown in your lap. I'm so very happy for you Mustang. The federal job sounds perfect...and it gives you security. You go girl!!!!!

Re: Prayers for Employment - 03/06/11 07:37 PM

Wow, Mustang, that is good news!! (And just in time for your birthday!) But that is a long drive. Are there public transportation options? Carpooling? I'm glad that at least you've been working. I wouldn't worry about how you used your time - it is what it is and you can't go back and change it. Just go forward from wherever you are.

Re: Prayers for Employment - 03/07/11 04:18 AM

Congratulations, Mustang!!!! That makes 2 recent govn't employees. I work for a large municipality.

As for your long commute, think seriously of renting your home and see if you can find temporary accommodation closer to town. Nothing is forever, remember this.

Carpooling is a useful suggestion.

Or later, selling home when you know your employer likes you permanently after your trial period.

Re: Prayers for Employment - 03/07/11 08:52 PM

Hi Mustang,

First of all, congratulations! Sorry I didn't see this post yesterday, but I add my voice to those who have already congratulated you on now having a choice to make.

(It kind of reminds me of the Pamela Moran character in one of my favorite TV shows, Army Wives, which finally its newest season last night. In that episode, Pamela reveals that she has to make a decision whether or not to move in order to take a better job. But if she moves, she will lose her PX privileges...)

Well, I'm digressing so here's a link to the show's website Lifetime TV Show: Army Wives and now getting back to you:

A couple of years ago I strongly considered a job I thought I would truly like, that was 90 miles away. Steve wouldn't have been open to moving, but I reasoned that people in major metro areas commute that far daily for a job, and that I could as well.

In the end, the consideration was moot, as I was not offered the job. But these days, with higher gas prices, I expect your best bet -- if you decide to take the job -- WOULD BE finding some place to rent closer to the new job...

There are a lot of benefits to a federal job, of course.

So keep us posted as you weigh your options. Meanwhile, we'll keep the prayers going to help you with your decision-making.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Prayers for Employment - 04/05/11 12:07 AM

I read today that McDonalds is having a cross country gala for hiring and wants to fill 50,000 jobs in one day, nationwide. If true that would be helpful for the economy, and any income is better than no income...

Re: Prayers for Employment - 04/06/11 06:42 PM

I heard this too, today. Some of their food is good. I like those
honey mustard,grilled chicken wraps and Big Macs.

Re: Prayers for Employment - 04/06/11 10:29 PM

I've been pretty fond of their Angus Beef burgers and I pick up lunch there about 3x/month.

But last I checked with my doctor she told me I really ought to switch to the kid meals. Apparently they are more appropriately sized... And of course, they now come with alternatives to the fries. But the fries might be the best part of the meal.

When I go I get one sandwich as a meal, one just the sandwich. Then Steve and I split the fries and I give him the diet soda, as I don't drink soda... (Well that's not totally true. But I don't drink DIET soda. I allow myself a "real Coke" about once a year. That is nirvana.)

I don't know if I like the Coke so much for the actual taste or because the taste brings back so many memories...all the way back to 2-3 years old, when I used to go to the barbershop and run errands with my Dad on Saturday mornings. Back then, part of the ritual of the trip was that we would split one of those old 6 oz. bottled Cokes that used to be dispensed from Coke machines at the gas station.

So: I am delighted to hear McDonald's is hiring so many people. And I hope it portends good news for the economy, while making more memories for today's little kids.

Re: Prayers for Employment - 04/07/11 01:43 PM

I don't drink much soda, either; I mostly drink water. So I know
what you mean when you say that's blissful. I enjoy one of those
small, bottles of coke now and again. And I too hope McDonald's
hirings foreshadow's a stronger economy. Wish gov't would stop arguing, quit spending on foolishness, stop the nonsense grants and crazy exspenditures, and nip in the bud whatever graft is out there!

Re: Prayers for Employment - 04/11/11 07:23 PM

Thank you. I'm still working at the law firm through a temp agency - working at a law firm has its challenges.

I have a contract on my home and if it passess inspection, I should move/close by end of month. Which leaves me open to moving to the Federal Job, but with the budget stuff going I won't know anything permanently until next week.

Thus, I still have two options both of which involve placing the majority of my belongings into storage:

1. Live with Mom and continue working at present job while looking for horse property; or

2. Live with Mom and commute for about a month and find an apartment to rent at new location and move horse with me and work for the USDA.

In any event I won't be able to purchase real estate until I've been employed for a year w/ today's economic climate.

I'm very stressed out!

I don't want to leave my Mom, yet I've always wanted to work for the Feds again.

Also, I'm liking where I work now and working with the Feds would be $4k less, yet . . . well ya'll know as I've said above.

Thanks for listening to me. Although I do have limited internet -- I very much appreciate ya'lls guidance.

Love to all of you gals.

Re: Prayers for Employment - 04/12/11 04:00 AM

Wow, Mustang,

No big decision is ever simple, is it? There are always trade-offs.

Normally I would say there is a lot of security in a Federal government job, and a lot of good benefits, many of which are not available to you as a temp employee.

But given the economy, one worries a bit about job security. In a Federal position, are you subject to "LIFO" RIFs? That is, "last in first out" should it come to a reduction in force?

That would be the main thing I would worry about. Though if you are a former federal employee and/or a veteran, you sort of have a "golden glow," once hired, as I understand it. (I am speaking as the former wife of a federal employee. But it's been almost 30 years since I was married to Bill, so rules might have changed since then...)

In any case, I will keep up the prayers, praying now for clarity in your decision-making process.

Re: Prayers for Employment - 04/12/11 02:33 PM

Anne, thank you!
Posted by: Songbird

Re: Prayers for Employment - 04/22/11 05:24 PM

Mustang, how are you? I pray God leads you to the job He has for you! By the way, I loved your prayers. May God continue to strengthen you as you continue to trust in Him for your daily needs.

Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart-Psalm 37:4.

Re: Prayers for Employment - 04/27/11 03:49 PM

Hey Songbird, I'm scared to death! I've informed the temporary agency of my decision and they won't tell the firm I'm working for until next week.

I've sold my home and move out this upcoming weekend and close on May 2nd.

I report to my new job on May 9th and somewhere in between I need to find somewhere to live!

I'm doing my best to look to the Lord, He answers in his own time, and I hope it all works out. The new job will be a challenge, although lower pay, yet more time off and in the middle of horse country!

Re: Prayers for Employment - 05/01/11 03:00 PM

Big changes, MustangGal! I'm excited for you. Are your horses being looked after by others?

You will find a place to live. At least choose a building (if an apartment) with on-site staff person to manage/supervise.

It must have been hard to sell your home. Hope things worked out ok.

I just moved into my new place this week. It is a surreal feeling.

Re: Prayers for Employment - 05/01/11 05:17 PM

Thinking about you MustangGal and hoping your move is going well.

Re: Prayers for Employment - 05/01/11 10:00 PM

Mustang, our prayers are with you! Moving is one of the most challenging things we ever do. Good luck with finding a safe and affordable new home. So glad you will be doing a job you love and living in the middle of horse country!

Have just learned from my son that his new girlfriend, who only recently moved to Augusta, GA, where he lives, brought her dog and horse with her. I think he said she pays more for horse boarding than she does for her apartment rent... But she is heavily into dressage, and of course, you need to have a horse for that!

Re: Prayers for Employment - 05/04/11 08:29 PM

Anne, I am moving to Aiken, SC -- which is just minutes from Augusta! Please do let me know when you or any of you gals are in the area -- I'd love get together, dine and shop!

Orchid, yes it was tough selling my home - yet, they offered cash and it had been on the market for 1 year and 4 months. It was time. I'm looking forward to new adventures.

Yonuh, thank you -- the move did have a few glitches and almost everything I own is in storage.

I've been employed full time from 4/03 to 8/10, unemployed 8/10 to 2/11, and employed 2/11 to present. I'd like to purchase again next year.

Thus, I wonder how my unemployment will affect a loan? Also, what is the timeframe in which to repurchase so that I don't pay taxes?

Given the above, I hope to purchase w/in 18 mths.

I'm driving down to Aiken Saturday to check out a few barn apartments and hope one of them works out - hopefully one with an apartment and DIY horse pasture!

Re: Prayers for Employment - 05/05/11 06:34 PM

Oh Dear God, am I doing the right thing? After having been unemployed for 6 mths, back to work and steady job/income, only to sell my home and move to horse country and work for the government?

Re: Prayers for Employment - 05/05/11 07:14 PM

MustanGal,I truly believe that life works out the way it's supposed to, even if we don't think so at the time. You'll be fine!

Re: Prayers for Employment - 05/08/11 03:07 PM

Originally Posted By: MustangGal
I've been employed full time from 4/03 to 8/10, unemployed 8/10 to 2/11, and employed 2/11 to present. I'd like to purchase again next year.

Thus, I wonder how my unemployment will affect a loan? Also, what is the timeframe in which to repurchase so that I don't pay taxes?

Obviously there are different tax laws in U.S. I never had to worry about timing in terms of home purchase. I never considered at all whether or not I would eligible to get a home if I was unemployed for a time period...especially when one has some savings.

Exciting times.

Re: Prayers for Employment - 05/09/11 12:08 AM

Mustang, That is exciting to hear how close you are to Augusta. I don't yet have plans to visit my son, but we WILL be visiting him sometime soon, and when we do, I PROMISE you and I will get together! That is so exciting!!

Hope you had good luck with the apartment hunt!! And, I am sure you will be able to purchase a home within the next 18 months. And, I'm not up to date on the tax code with regard to how long you have before you have to buy again. But as I recall, Steve and I rented for about 15 months when we first moved to Galena... We'd sold our home in Iowa first, so it was a similar situation.
Posted by: Songbird

Re: Prayers for Employment - 06/01/11 06:32 PM

Mustang, how are you? I do hope it all goes well. I know adjusting to new job, new place to live, neighborhood and all that comes in the package isn't easy, but I know we can trust God to see us through. Blessings!