What are you making for Thanksgiving?

Posted by: Dotsie

What are you making for Thanksgiving? - 11/19/07 08:44 PM

I know that different parts of the country make certain dishes that other parts may not eat on Thanksgiving.

We make sauerkraut in Baltimore and I know it freaks some people out.

I begin simmering it early morning, add water, wine, apples, carraway seeds, sweet and low, and pork. By the time dinner rolls around, it's just right. All the pork is nice and stringy and it takes just right.

How about inyour neck of the woods? Do you make anything out of the ordinary?
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: What are you making for Thanksgiving? - 11/19/07 09:06 PM

Pathology Pie....deviled eggs...broccoli/cheese casserole, pumpkin role, ham, turkey, homemade cranberry sauce, green beans, sweet potato pie, slaw, fried corn and if there's room on the table, black-eye peas.

I only get the make the first two...something about fire and dangerous women in the kitchen..go figure.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: What are you making for Thanksgiving? - 11/20/07 11:57 PM

This is the first year we will all be meeting at the Boulder Stations scrumptous buffet for dinner. There will be 10 of us altogether. My treat!!! I and my son still bought turkeys and I will be making my giblet dressing and taking them a pan full for their leftovers the next day. I will also have turkey, taters, sweet and mashed, gravy, dressing, assorted veges and a peach cobbler, all the day after Thanksgiving, There just is something about leftovers so to speak...silly but true!
Posted by: Anno

Re: What are you making for Thanksgiving? - 11/21/07 12:12 AM

Reservations.
Posted by: Di

Re: What are you making for Thanksgiving? - 11/21/07 12:35 AM

Soap!
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: What are you making for Thanksgiving? - 11/21/07 01:04 AM

Heartburn...did you know the average person will consume 5,000 calories on Thanksgiving Day?
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: What are you making for Thanksgiving? - 11/21/07 02:01 AM

We still haven't decided, although there's enough food in the freezer/fridge to feed a small army. Just the two of us -- I'm not inclined to do the hostess thang. On Thursday morning it will be, "And what do you want to make today??" At least we'll probably have the ingredients, if it's anything available in Greater North America.

In-between cooking ventures, Whatzzizname will turn into a TV zombie for hours on end watching men run after balls in what he emphatically defines as "a really important game." That's when I retreat to the bead room. Can't even go online because my computer and the TV are in the living room together, and the game volume is always loud.
Posted by: gims

Re: What are you making for Thanksgiving? - 11/21/07 02:04 AM

Oh, anno,
Posted by: ladyjane

Re: What are you making for Thanksgiving? - 11/21/07 01:11 PM

Meredith, I gave "another husband" one of those headphone sets. He could blast his head off without killing the rest of us! I'll be going to my only bro's house. There will be dad and his lady friend (they're sooo cute!), bro and sil, nephew #2 and his wife and one black lab....no kids on this day but we make up for it on Christmas! My brother owns that house that my dad built in 1951. It's my childhood home and I love it. It's only about a 20 minute drive for us. I WILL be roasting a stuffed turkey sometime this weekend and have the fixins' with it because we, too, MUST have leftovers!!
Posted by: ladyjane

Re: What are you making for Thanksgiving? - 11/21/07 01:13 PM

JJ, I wonder, along with those 5000 calories how many rolaids and pepto bismol is consumed on Thanksgiving???
Posted by: HelenGallagher

Re: What are you making for Thanksgiving? - 11/22/07 04:30 AM

Happy Thanksgiving, Dotsie & all ...
I am making a traditional midwestern Thanksgiving meal tomorrow, but the new treat is our local grocery has a new cranberry sauce and it's wonderful:

cranberry, sugar, orange, apple and... chocolate!
It's tart and sweet and amazing.

Blessings to us all,

Helen Gallagher
Posted by: Edelweiss

Re: What are you making for Thanksgiving? - 11/22/07 11:05 AM

This is our first Thanksgiving where I'm not doing anything!
We just gave a huge Tapas dinner last weekend, (a spanish dish)...and we said enough is enough.
Of course Germans don't celebrate Thanksgiving anyway, so no big deal.
But still! wishing you all a wonderful Thanksgiving and no tummy aches.
hugs to all
hannelore
Posted by: Anno

Re: What are you making for Thanksgiving? - 11/22/07 12:32 PM

Happy Thanksgiving, all.

Glad I could make you laugh Gimster. This will be my most relaxing Thanksgiving in 20 years.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: What are you making for Thanksgiving? - 11/24/07 09:31 PM

I am so excited, ate plenty on Thanksgiving day and the day after, and didn't gain one ounce. WHEW!!!
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: What are you making for Thanksgiving? - 11/25/07 04:53 AM

I was pretty good about not over-eating this holiday.

Third day of leftovers, and counting. Finished cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie. Still wayyy too much stuffing in that big casserole dish. I'm tempted to add things to pizzazz it up, but that will just mean MORE stuffing, and we'll never get rid of it.

I'm also still shuffling leftovers from a dinner group on Monday. I like leftovers -- up to a point. I like the no-new-cooking and no-more-pots part. But I really want to eat OUT tomorrow, so I don't feel obligated to recycle the same old food.

The good news is -- no turkey. The last time we had turkey (5 years ago?) we were still eating it in January. I'm surprised no one got food poisoning! So ever since then, we've had a turkey-less T-Day.

Which is probably why we have so much stuffing
Posted by: gims

Re: What are you making for Thanksgiving? - 11/25/07 06:30 AM

I did really well, too, this year. Our oldest daughter made turkey and the fixings Thursday. I only had one small serving of each item, and no desert. Then we had the whole family together for Friday nite... Mexican dishes on that menu. Again, except for a piece of my grandson's bday cake, I ate very modestly. Then tonight we shared the evening at our younger daughter's home, enjoying stew and cornbread in front of the Kansas/Missouri game. I only had a mug full. Not one piece of pumpkin pie... not one... I'm patting myself on the back big time - for you see, I can eat a pumpkin pie with whipped cream on it all BY MYSELF.