Christmas food?

Posted by: Julie

Christmas food? - 10/21/03 04:12 AM

One of the joys of this forum is trying to remember what time of the day it is there (and which date - I am ahead of you guys).

Anyway...this year I have to host the family christmas dinner (about 40 people) and I am very tired of all the usual things we eat...what suggestions might there be from the USofA?

It will be high summer here and probably about 30 degrees C so don't suggest roast turkey! Cold buffet or BBQ is what we normally do...
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Christmas food? - 10/21/03 04:46 AM

I have a couple of questions:

1) Do you want all cold foods?
2) Are you asking for MAIN dish items or side foods as well?

One thing you might like and it's simple is to open a couple cans of asparagus (or fresh if you have it) and marinate it in Italian dressing. It's really good! I'll look thru my "stuff" and see if I can come up with something else. Don't forget the deviled eggs (if it's an outside thing) ha! [Wink]
Posted by: Evie

Re: Christmas food? - 10/21/03 03:58 PM

have you heard of "beer can chicken"? Don't exactly have the complete recipe, but it involves opening a can of beer, placing the chicken over it (You know what end) and then putting it on the BBQ - it is supposed to be really good.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Christmas food? - 10/21/03 04:47 PM

Julie, I'd love to help you out here. I love to cook and have a ton of recipes. I just added two more from this forum...empanadas and jambalaya. [Big Grin]

Do you do much grilling? Do you like seafood?

I'll give you my suggestions after you answer these two questions...can't wait! [Razz]
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Christmas food? - 10/21/03 05:55 PM

Yet another good asparagus dish is:

Asparagus Sesame Rolls.

12 Fresh asparagus spears
12 bread slices (can use Pepperidge Farm bread)
crust removed
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
6 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted

Trim asparagus spears to 6 in. Flatten bread with a rolling pin.

In a small mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese and blue cheese until combined.

Spread over bread; top with an asparagus spear and roll up tightly.

Roll in butter; place seam side down on a greased baking sheet.

Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake at 375 for 14-16 minutes or until bottom is lightly browned.

Yield: 1 doz.

Re: Christmas food? - 10/22/03 03:26 AM

Thank you all for helping me out, I knew you would have some diffent ideas.

Yes we like seafood but tend to save it for Christmas evening when the crowd has gone and we have a light meal of prawns, salad and a glass of wine with my in-laws.

We haven't done much grilling but have new equipment and willing to try.

Like the idea of some hot/cold dishes and all of Queen Bee's suggestions sound wonderful so far. Anything that can be done in ADVANCE is great so I don't miss any of the fun.

Doesn't the can of beer explode in the BBQ?? Not sure I would be allowed to "waste" the beverage in such a manner :-)

Re: Christmas food? - 10/22/03 04:36 PM

well, like I said, I've never tried it so I don't know all the "mechanics" of it - but I believe the theory is the beer is absorbed into the chicken, leaving it moist and tender....or something like that....I'd have to search the net for the exact recipe....

hmmm....."throw another Fosters on the barbie"..........no? [Smile]

Re: Christmas food? - 10/23/03 07:04 AM

Julie, sometimes in the summer if we are having company and don't want to use the grill we have a ham, served cold, already sliced.

I'll serve potato salad, baked beans, deviled eggs, and a garden salad. How does that sound? Want me to post the recipes? Will gladly do.

How about home made apple pie with vanilla ice cream for dessert?

I also have a good pulled pork bar-b-q recipe. Keep me posted.

Re: Christmas food? - 10/24/03 09:40 AM

Pardon my ignorance but what is pulled-pork?? :-)
And I assume you aren't talking about the baked beans in tomato sauce we eat out of a can?
We do usually have cold ham on Christmas day and often potato salad.

Re: Christmas food? - 10/24/03 02:20 PM

Pulled pork is a pork roast cooked to death. Doesn't sound so great, but it's delicious. The meat falls apart and it's cooked in lots of spices. It's fun party food.

The beans arethe kind out of a can, but I add spices and bacon and bake them.

I'll post some recipes wehn I get back from visiting my son. When is your holiday?

[ October 24, 2003, 07:21 AM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

Re: Christmas food? - 10/24/03 04:31 PM

oh my god! I've been making pulled pork all these years and had no idea! [Big Grin] [Razz]

Re: Christmas food? - 11/01/03 03:48 PM

Julie, do you want some recipes? And if so, what for? Just let me know.....
Posted by: DreamrKate

Re: Christmas food? - 11/08/03 10:23 AM

We had enchiladas for dinner one year and my family loved it. I made a few dozen the day or so before and popped them in the oven right before we wanted them. That with some freshly made flour tortilla stips and guacamole and sour cream.

No wonder I'm on Atkins.....everything I've mentioned tonight is full of carbs. But oh so delicious.
Posted by: Kristin

Re: Christmas food? - 12/10/04 08:43 AM

We had rouladen on Christmas eve for many years. It's Dutch/German with red cabbage wrapped in beef and red onion and...con't remember now but it was a recipe from my great-grandmother.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Christmas food? - 12/10/04 06:05 AM

Kristin or whoever asked, be sure to open that can of beer first or it could and will probably explode...I am having Christmas at my son's home but am bringing something special. He is having a huge ham and all that goes with it. I am making a roast and Italian sausage with peppers. This is wonderful mad eahead so you don't miss any of the party. Make the roast as you always do only poke a knife into it in several places (when raw) and insert this mixture: I tbls. of lard, two crushed garlic bulbs, and 1/2 a tsp. of Italian seasoning. Mash it all up and push it into the knife holes. It will permiate the roast flavoring it. Once its done set it aside to cool. Saving the juices. Now grill or pan fry (lightly) either regular Italian or turkey italian sausage. When nearly done add several large sliced up green peppers and a big slice onion. Remove sausage.... Once the mixture is done, soft, set it aside. Take the roast drippings and add water and a beef boullion cube to it stirring steadily then add Wondra to thicken slightly. Now add a tbls. of maple pancake syrup, yes that's right, then slice the roast, add your sausage and the pepper and onion mixture and cover and let slow cook. It gets so tender and makes wonderful sandwiches on a good hard roll.....It's something different. [Big Grin]
Posted by: chickadee

Re: Christmas food? - 12/10/04 06:49 AM

Chatty or any of you. I want to cook my Tennessee Boy some Southern food for Christmas. I'm Canadian... 'nuf said?

JJ got any suggestions and Diane you're from TN, anything to offer?

Now I want to impress (lol) the 'ol boy so bring out the big guns, ladies.

He loves my Canadian cooking but I want to surprise him with a good old Southern Christmas dinner.

I need recipes for the following for sure:

Corn bread dressing in a pan? (corn bread recipe too I guess)
Pecan Pie?
Sweet potatoe pie?

and any other great additions you might want to share. [Smile]

Thanks for your help.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Christmas food? - 12/11/04 05:51 AM

Chickadee rather than take alot of time typing in the recipes I have you might try:
www.cooking.com and then at the very top hit the recipe slot and then you can type in whatever you're looking for and they should have it there, you can print and save it too. I also type in www.recipes.com but still come up on the same page....Good hunting. [Wink]
Posted by: Sadie

Re: Christmas food? - 12/11/04 07:41 AM

I think I have one for sweet potato pie and biscuts. Will check ...

Nancy Sorry a mistype .

[ December 11, 2004, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: Nancy50 ]
Posted by: Kristin

Re: Christmas food? - 12/11/04 10:42 PM

I find it interesting that people here say sweet potatoe pie the way it used to be spelled when Dan Quayle got in trouble for it [Smile] My sister was an intern pre-Monica in Quayle's office and liked him. Even went to a Christmas party at his house!