Scrumptious Ginger Pennies

Posted by: Dotsie

Scrumptious Ginger Pennies - 12/13/02 02:00 AM

These cookies are soooo good. Be careful though because you can pop them in your mouth like chips...and if you eat chips like I do, you are in trouble! The mix of spices and molasses are just right. They taste like Christmas!

1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon ginger
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
Mix those ingredients together.

1 cup tightly packed brown sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup Grandma's molasses
12 Tablespoons butter
Mix together and then add the dry ingredients to the wet.

Spray cookie sheets with Pam.

When mixed, put in pastry bag (if you don't have one use a freezer bag and cut the teeny tip off the corner. Squeeze through and make little dots that will spread to the size of half dollars(not really penny size). I have never done it without squeezing through a bag, but I would think you could just put little balls of dough on the cookie sheet too. It might be easier...whatever!

Bake in 325 degree oven for 5 minutes.
These cookies store well in tins, but they usually get eaten in a hurry, so storage doesn't matter too much.
Posted by: Kathryn

Re: Scrumptious Ginger Pennies - 12/13/02 04:26 PM

While ice bound the other day I experimented with the old standard tollhouse recipe that is on the back of the chocolate chip bag and came up with a basic chocolate drop cookie that you can add anything to. By increasing the brown sugar from 3/4 cup to 1 full cup and by adding a 1/2 cup of baking cocoa you get a chocolate drop cookie. The I split the dough in half. In one half I added mint chocolate chips, YUMMY! and in the other half I added heath bar crunchy stuff that you can buy in the bag just like choc chips. They were awesome too.