1/2 cup chopped carrots
2 tbls. minced garlic
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
2 (14.5 oz) cans reduced sodium chicken broth
2 cups no-salt added tomato puree
3 cups cooked Dry Black Beans

Directions:

In large stock pot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium high heat. Add onions, carrots, and garlic, saute until carrots are softened; about 5 to 7 minutes.

Add the cumin and chili powder, stir until well mixed. Add chicken broth, tomato puree and black beans; salt and pepper to taste.

Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, 10 to 15 minutes or until carrots are tender and soup is slightly thickened.

Serve with Light Sour Cream and shredded Monterrey Jack cheese on top, if desired.

NOTE: 2 cans of black beans, rinsed and drained can be substituted for the cooked, dry beans.

Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: YUMMY Cold Weather Soup. - 02/02/11 06:04 PM

Sounds delicious, Chatty!
Posted by: Songbird

Re: YUMMY Cold Weather Soup. - 02/03/11 02:17 PM

I love beans and soups especially on cold winter days!

Oooh... I made a soup about a week ago... It was delicious.

But I used frozen green pigeon peas, frozen green black-eye peas, carrots, celery, potatoes, yucca. I added my own homemade seasoning(sofrito), fresh cilantro sprigs and a grated green banana and yautia mixture to make "boyitas". It added a special flavor to that hearty soup!

I love soup in cold weather, but my family is not a soup lover...
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: YUMMY Cold Weather Soup. - 02/04/11 01:44 AM

Sounds scrumptous Songbird. I am experimenting trying to invent my own mushroom soup. I hate the stuff added to Campbells brand or even Progresso. I have it about mastered and when it is, I'll post it here.
Posted by: yonuh

Re: YUMMY Cold Weather Soup. - 02/04/11 06:46 PM

I have to say I'm not much for soups, either. My partner likes soup, but he turns it into what I would call a stew! Sometimes he'll start making soup and have to dump everything into a bigger pot because he keeps adding stuff. smile
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: YUMMY Cold Weather Soup. - 02/06/11 11:50 AM

Yonuh, those are usually the traits of a great chef!!!