Puzzle of "Abomination of the Desolation?"

Posted by: Toni

Puzzle of "Abomination of the Desolation?" - 07/24/04 07:52 AM

This is a phrase from the Bible, in the Book of Revelations that has been given several interpretations. I have studied and read the Bible several times, like many of us, but still do not understand this meaning.

Does anyone here have insights to this message from Revelations?

I know some parts of the Bible are not meant to be known until the end, perhaps this is one of them? Some believe we are in the end times, some believe we're very close...Whichever the case, the world is in great turmoil, needing our Savior.

Any insights you would like to share, I would be so happy to read. The Book of Revelations is a fascinating book but sometimes hard to translate.
Posted by: Songbird

Re: Puzzle of "Abomination of the Desolation?" - 07/24/04 07:59 AM

Toni: What's the Chapter and verse where you find that phrase?

Re: Puzzle of "Abomination of the Desolation?" - 07/23/04 08:08 PM

Songbird,

Two of the spots it appears in the Bible are: Matthew 24:15 and Mark 13:14. In both cases Christ was replying to those about 'end times' and what would occur.

What's not entirely clear is the time-period of end-times....

I'm not sure but I think Revelations speaks of this, also. Not sure where it's at?

Re: Puzzle of "Abomination of the Desolation?" - 07/23/04 08:14 PM

I'll have to check into it and get back to you later. I'm swamped right now with getting ready for tommorrow. I'll do my best!!

Re: Puzzle of "Abomination of the Desolation?" - 07/23/04 08:18 PM

Thanks, Songbird. Totally understand. I've got some things to attend to, also.

Also, the book of Daniel Chapters 7-12 have fascinating prophecies.

Will get back with you later....

Re: Puzzle of "Abomination of the Desolation?" - 07/24/04 10:57 PM

Songbird,

Just wanted to let you know that there's no hurry on this. This is a deep subject and one that I need to review a bit more before I can share information.

This phrase has always puzzeled me; perhaps studying a bit more will help us both unravel the mystery?

Have a good weekend and we'll get back into this subject later..

Re: Puzzle of "Abomination of the Desolation?" - 07/25/04 01:55 AM

Songbird,

Forget to mention that my husband and I would like to add your link to our QuickLinks Page. If you would like to do this, just let me know. We update our site at the end of every month.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Puzzle of "Abomination of the Desolation?" - 07/25/04 04:36 PM

I'll jump in on this one too and get back to you!

Re: Puzzle of "Abomination of the Desolation?" - 07/25/04 08:37 PM

Thank you, Dotsie. With the three of us--or more, maybe we can figure out this mystery?

Re: Puzzle of "Abomination of the Desolation?" - 07/26/04 03:46 AM

Hi Toni:
Haven't had a chance to review that material in depth but will let you know ASAP! Glad to have Dotsie and maybe others on board too!

About the link, I'm honored! Thanks for considering it!

Re: Puzzle of "Abomination of the Desolation?" - 07/26/04 03:03 PM

Hi Songbird,

No hurry at all. I'm in the process of organizing a move, but will make time later today or tomorrow to work on this subject.

Great having Dotsie here, too. With the three of us, we'll find a way...

Re: Puzzle of "Abomination of the Desolation?" - 07/27/04 02:58 PM

Hi Ladies,

Finally had some time on this subject. Been reading and thinking about Daniel 7-12. Very insightful chapters particularly Daniel 11:31: "And arms shall stand on his part, and they shall pollute the sanctuary of strength, and shall take away the daily sacrifice, and they shall place the abomination that maketh desolate."

I think the key words here are 'daily sacrifice' and of course, 'abomination that maketh desolate.'

From my reading on 'end times' it seems that the holy temple in Jerusalem will have to be rebuilt before Christ's return. Last I heard, those in charge were seriously thinking about rebuilding that temple.

Anyone else have ideas on this? What about the daily sacrifice? Could this mean Holy Communion or another sacrifice done inside the church?

Don't know, just guessing....

Re: Puzzle of "Abomination of the Desolation?" - 07/28/04 03:15 PM

Toni: Just a quick note, since I haven't reviewed this material in depth recently. As far as I know... "Daily sacrifice" refers to the daily sacrifices the priest offered in the temple, morning and evening.

Re: Puzzle of "Abomination of the Desolation?" - 07/28/04 05:50 PM

Songbird,

Thank you so much for the info! This is a piece of the puzzle that really helps!

Will do some more checking today in the Good Book!

Thank you so much. This has really inspired me to do more research!

Re: Puzzle of "Abomination of the Desolation?" - 07/29/04 07:08 AM

Toni: And about the daily sacrifices, they stopped the day Jesus died on the cross. The veil in the temple was torn, there was an earthquake. Mat. 27:51, Mark 15:38, Luke 23:48...

Re: Puzzle of "Abomination of the Desolation?" - 07/29/04 07:20 AM

Good point here, on the daily sacrifice! The return of the daily sacrifice--that's an interesting subject. Will try and do some research on this tomorrow or Friday.

Thank you so much!

Re: Puzzle of "Abomination of the Desolation?" - 07/30/04 08:03 PM

Hi Ladies,

This is a puzzling subject but I'll continue to add my thoughts here.

Daniel is a fascinating insight to prophecy. His accuracy in predicting the end times strikes me as pure and holy. This book strengthens my faith and gives me comfort in knowing that we're winners in Christ--all the way! But, we must stand close to Christ; there are so many diversions...

The truth of the 'abomination of desolation'is substantiated in Matthew:15, "When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand.)"

Holy place must be the rebuilt temple in Jerusalem? As far as I know, it has not been rebuilt. When the rebuilding takes place, the Beast (whoever that is?) will stand in it--thus we will know that the Beast, who he is and what he stands for--is at the door of prophecy.

This is only my speculation; will do more research on this as time permits....

Any comments or suggestions you have, is greatly appreciated.