STRANGEISMS

Posted by: chatty lady

STRANGEISMS - 01/12/11 01:58 AM

One has to marvel at the unique lunacy of a language in which your house can burn up as it burns down.

In which you fill in a form by filling it out, and where an alarm goes off by going on.

English was invented by people, not computers, and it reflects the creativity of the human race, which of course is not a race at all.

That might explain why when the stars are out, they are visible, but when the lights are out, they are invisible!

How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the sanme? While a wise man and a wise guy are opposites?

Why do we have noses that run, and feet that smell?

Just something to ponder...

Posted by: jabber

Re: STRANGEISMS - 01/12/11 01:55 PM

And ponder I do. Jabberwocky invented dozens of words, or gibberish however you view it. 'Tis 'bout like discussing the
four corners of the round table.
Posted by: yonuh

Re: STRANGEISMS - 01/12/11 03:01 PM

And we drive on a parkway and park in the driveway! I love the English language. Because it is such a mixture of so many different languages it is considered one of the hardest, if not the hardest, language to learn. Each language has its idioms, but I think English has to be the strangest!

Re: STRANGEISMS - 01/12/11 08:28 PM

Italian isn't any picnic to learn, either.

Re: STRANGEISMS - 01/12/11 09:38 PM

Are you learning Italian, jabber? I used to be fluent in French, but since I don't get to use it I've forgotten a lot. I also learned Latin and Greek; I love languages and taught myself some Cherokee and modern Greek along with some Welsh and a smattering of other languages. The only problem is it's hard to keep it up if there's nobody to speak it with on a regular basis.

Re: STRANGEISMS - 01/13/11 12:06 AM

My goodness Yonuh, so many languages, wow!!! I could never learn all of them. I barely understand or speak Italian anymore since I rarely hear it spoken or need to speak it. I do remember all the swear words however, lol!!!

Re: STRANGEISMS - 01/13/11 12:39 AM

Sometimes that's all you need, Chatty! LOL

Re: STRANGEISMS - 01/13/11 01:20 PM

When my son was in the 82nd Airborne, he was stationed in Italy and married an Italian girl. My granddaugher spoke both English and Italian. It was fun listening to a baby learning to speak and
talking in Italian. When my boy first married, I spent some time learning the language. The in-laws came over for visits a month at a time for a couple stays. I was able to communicate with my
DIL's mom and absolutely love the woman. I went to Italy in
'95 but haven't seen DIL's family since. Don't get much chance to
use Italian unless I phone 'em.

Re: STRANGEISMS - 01/14/11 01:28 PM

Are strangeisms anything like queenisms?

Re: STRANGEISMS - 01/15/11 02:32 PM

Where is jawjaw, any who????

Re: STRANGEISMS - 01/16/11 02:34 PM

She must be still celebrating her January 14th birthday.

Re: STRANGEISMS - 01/17/11 01:32 PM

Hey you little sailor, you. Where R U hiding. Come out. Come out.
Come out and post some stuff!!! I could use a good laugh!

Re: STRANGEISMS - 01/19/11 03:02 PM

They say laughter is good medicine for the soul! I miss jj's
comedic input 'round here!!!

Re: STRANGEISMS - 01/20/11 06:49 PM

JJ,
Don't make me come and get you!!!! LOL...

Re: STRANGEISMS - 01/24/11 08:35 PM

Dotsie,
Where'd you put our resident clown? I miss jawjaw!!!

Hummmmm,
Let me see. Jawjaw and Elvis were both born in January.
Right? Hummmmm, think that's a sign they're related somehow?
just joking...
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: STRANGEISMS - 01/24/11 11:39 PM

Not only were Elvis and J J both born in January, both are from the South. Hmmm, I wonder if JJ can sing...

Re: STRANGEISMS - 01/25/11 02:53 AM

JJ got a good job and says she loves it. I suppose if one has to work as most of us do, it's good to like what we're doing. Bless her heart!
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: STRANGEISMS - 01/25/11 05:24 AM

Thanks for the update, Chatty! Does she have to travel for her job? I seem to recall you saying some time ago that she was doing a lot of traveling. Sure hope she gets that book done. (I saw a pig trying to fly the other day...he was not successful, but that fact that he was trying made me think of JJ...)

Re: STRANGEISMS - 01/25/11 02:34 PM

Chatty,
Thanks. I didn't know she had a new job. And I, too, am glad she
loves it.

Anne,
I'm thinking it would be difficult to work and write a book at the same time. I'm retired and hardly have enough time to breathe. I've got 2 long, lost brothers but I don't think Elvis
is 1. I love Elvis, however!

Re: STRANGEISMS - 01/26/11 01:57 AM

I believe her traveling was for a sick friend and her family and not connected to her work. Not sure about any book she may be writing but she is extremely busy from what she says. Love her and hope all she does is successful...

Re: STRANGEISMS - 01/26/11 02:19 PM

Me too. I love her and wish her well!

Re: STRANGEISMS - 01/27/11 02:33 PM

jj posts on FB some. But working keeps a gal chained down!
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: STRANGEISMS - 01/27/11 02:35 PM

I spoke with her about two weeks ago. Still the same funny gal! I just love her.

Re: STRANGEISMS - 01/29/11 02:25 PM

She has such a great sense of humor. Love that!