One more holiday bites the dust..

Posted by: chatty lady

One more holiday bites the dust.. - 11/26/05 02:14 AM

My goodness talk about eat, my belly feels and looks like I swallowed a balloon, while still inflated...The company was enjoyable, the food was unbelievable if I say so myself and now I have to diet, diet, diet and then it'll be Christmas, and it all happens again...geesh! So did everyone have a wonderful Thanksgiving?

[ November 25, 2005, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]
Posted by: Pam Kimmell

Re: One more holiday bites the dust.. - 11/26/05 02:24 AM

I sure did Chatty - thanks for asking! Sounds like we are both suffering from "It-was-in-front-of-me-so-I-had-to-eat-it" disease OR, if you prefer, post-turkey stress syndrome. I do this every year and swear I'll NOT do it the next - but it's fun to eat good food, enjoy good company, and look forward to the NEXT major eating opportunity to come our way! [Wink] [Wink]
Posted by: Danita

Re: One more holiday bites the dust.. - 11/26/05 03:29 AM

Hi everyone,

Glad to know you all made it through!

We had two single women for guests, along with our family of four. I kept it simple - which makes it low stress for me.

I had DH in charge of the two teens to clean the house before the guests came, while I did duty in the kitchen.

Honestly, everything besides the gobbler and the garlic mashed potatoes (thanks TV) were out of a package...but you would not have known it.

Schwans makes the best frozen sweet potatoes and pies, Tastefully simple the best beer bread, Mrs Smith makes the best Apple pie, and thanks to another boomer, Pepperdge farm made great stuffing. (add the traditional bean casserole also!)

No pain -- but lots of gain! Love it!

Started on my christmas cards today - I boycott the "after thanksgiving sales"...they are against my religion! (LOL)...so commercial!

hugs to ya all! (off to eat pie)

D.
Posted by: Searcher

Re: One more holiday bites the dust.. - 11/26/05 07:44 AM

Danita,

Hurray for you!!! simple is best, I'm sure. Because you should see me on Thanksgiving Day Past - you know the commercial where the mom comes out with all the flour on her face? That would be me. Only she was faking it and I'm not. Pots and pans to the ceiling, ingredients everywhere, great food, but greater mess. All who attend politely disappear after....Too scarey to go into the kitchen!!!! How was that pie?

Search
Posted by: Danita

Re: One more holiday bites the dust.. - 11/26/05 07:56 AM

The pie tasted like home-made.

I was able to keep the kitchen cleaned as I prepared the meal, and dinner dishes went into the dishwasher right after the meal.

The house was still clean, stomachs full, nobody for the wiser.

Yahhhhhhhh!

Did you post about your holiday somewhere searcher?

hugs,
danita
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: One more holiday bites the dust.. - 11/26/05 10:53 PM

Sounds like a great Thanksgiving was had by all.

I love to cook as long as I am not rushed. That's key! I began the day before and took my time. Also had hubby in charge of a couple dishes. He always makes the broc/cheese casserole and the pumpkin bread pudding with homemade caramel sauce...to die for. If anyone wants it I'll post the recipe in the Recipe forum.

We had a relaxing morning without the usual running around to get to the local high school football game. TRADITION. We broke tradition and all watched it on TV. It made for a much more relaxing day.
Posted by: TVC15

Re: One more holiday bites the dust.. - 11/27/05 01:04 AM

We had a nice quiet one with just us 4. Sent the leftovers home with my son and I am happy to say that my fridge was fixed the next day. (took the guy all of 10 minutes)
Watched the Macy's parade so we could see NY.
Ate too much and fell asleep on the couch afterwards.
Posted by: AvalonBlondi

Re: One more holiday bites the dust.. - 11/27/05 01:43 AM

Hi Everyone,Happy you all had a good Holiday...like you Dots, I broke with a few traditions this year as well..we spent Thanksgiving down the shore so no football games to run to..just watched a few on tv...3 of my 4 kids were with us...my oldest girl is in WA state with her hubby but will be spending Christmas back east with us..yay!!My son brought his buddy Brent (an orphan)so we had a relaxing day...the dinner was outstanding..and like you Danita I am doing my best to finish the pie...back to my treadmill on Monday...so I can eat more over Christmas!!..What Fun!!
Posted by: NHJackie

Re: One more holiday bites the dust.. - 11/27/05 09:53 PM

As always, my Mom outdid herself on Thanksgiving, and everyone ate more than they should have. We had a wonderful family visit with my brother and his clan from CA. The only sad thing was that my husband woke up with a fever, so had to stay home. This happens quite often since his last illness, and I've learned to deal with it. But this time I didn't do so well.

Last night we had a really great family dinner, just the four of us. I baked a pumpkin pie, since that's one thing my mother never bakes. It was a new recipe and really tasted great.

My kids are heading back to NY sometime today. It's going to be very quiet here again. No6t necessarily such a bad thing.

Re: One more holiday bites the dust.. - 11/28/05 01:38 AM

Jackie, just hugged and kissed my son goodbye too. With tears in my eyes, I said to my hubby, "this time next year we may be kissing all three of them and sending them back to school." I think I'm preparing myself for this, but time will tell!

Avalon, tell us more about Brent...if you don't mind.

TVC, do you miss NY?

Re: One more holiday bites the dust.. - 11/28/05 06:52 AM

Dotsie, Brent is a wonderful young man..an only child..his Dad died when he was only 13 of leukemia..then his Mom died only a few years ago...also of leukemia...since both of his parents were only children...he has no aunts or uncles..no cousins..and his grandparents have all passed too...it broke my heart at his Mom's funeral...there he stood alone...but one by one his college buddies surrounded him and became his brothers that day...they are an amazing bunch of guys...Brent spends Holidays with us now...and has taken to calling me "Mom"...I love him like he is one of my own..as for sending all 3 of your kids off next year...can't you convince any of them to stay in the area? So many great schools near Baltimore...my youngest is a junior at St. Joseph's university in Philly...only about a 35 minute drive from home...she is away...but not "away away" if you know what I mean..

Re: One more holiday bites the dust.. - 11/28/05 07:02 PM

Nancy, thanks for telling us a little more about Brent. How tragic. I can't imagine. Don't you wonder why those things have to happen? It's bad enough when women at our age lose both parents. I'm sure he appreciates your friendship.

Re: One more holiday bites the dust.. - 11/29/05 04:33 AM

Nancy what a wonderful ending to such tragedy. Brent lost and then found a Mom and Dad. I hope I say this correctly and you understand my meaning but its like when you take in an injured, lost little animal, the love and devotion you get from them is astronimical, he will bring you much joy I'm sure.

Re: One more holiday bites the dust.. - 11/29/05 06:29 AM

Chatty...I totally understand what you mean...each time I see this young man my heart lurches and I get a huge lump in my throat..I can't imagine waking up every morning and not having a family...he wrote me the most loving and appreciative thank you note after Thanksgiving..of course I cried for about 2 hours and then took another 3 to compose myself enough to call him and talk to him ...he told me that he can't believe how much I remind him of his Mom...that we have the same sense of humor and that I worry about him too much the same way she did...anyway...I'm hoping one day soon he will meet the girl of his dreams and maybe start a family of his own...the sad thing is...he confessed to me that he so afraid to really fall in love because..."Everyone I love leaves me"...I almost wrote to Dr. Phil to try and deal with that one..by the way Chatty...how is the weather in Las Vegas? wish I was there...the winters in Philly are LOUSY!!!.... [Smile]

Re: One more holiday bites the dust.. - 11/30/05 06:40 PM

Avalon, I am so grateful you are there for him. Keep up the good work. It is always in giving that we receive.

Speaker, what happened to her after that year? How old is she now and how is she managing?

Re: One more holiday bites the dust.. - 12/01/05 12:33 AM

Dots...you are so right about the "Giving"...thanks for all that you give here...I can feel the love the moment I sign on...
Posted by: Thistle Cove Farm

Re: One more holiday bites the dust.. - 12/01/05 12:36 AM

Eventually...

Thanksgiving morning around 4 a.m. the phone rang and the sheriff from two counties away had my girlfriend stashed in a hotel room. She was dazed, disoriented, didn't know who she was, where she was, what she was doing there nor where she was going. She had driven her truck into a ditch on private railroad property and was found wandering down the railroad tracks, clutching a pillow case. Her purse was found two miles away beside the same track.

I went to get her and bring her home, another friend took her to his house for a while and she's doing some better. We're not sure what's going on or what did go on as she still can't remember.

When Dave, his mother and I did have supper it was late but the seafood was still wonderful. Bacon wrapped scallops, salmon topped with capers, red onion and sour cream on flat bread and I can't remember what else. The salmon is the last of what we caught when we were in Oregon this past summer. It was lovely!

We're gearing up for winter but right now the sun is shining and I need to go do some farm chores. We're to have cold, wet weather tonight and I'd much rather do chores in the warm sunlight.

Glad to hear Thanksgiving was good for most of ya'll.

Re: One more holiday bites the dust.. - 12/01/05 12:44 AM

Wow thistle that is some kind of mystery!
I'm glad she is safe now and that you did get to have a great dinner afterall.
Glad to see you back at the forum!

Dotsie, just saw your post. I do miss NY sometimes but love it here too!
Posted by: Thistle Cove Farm

Re: One more holiday bites the dust.. - 12/01/05 01:09 AM

worry is a misuse of imagination

TVC15 - that is a GREAT quote!

Good to be back...I've missed ya'll but have kept you in my thoughts and prayers. Fortunately, God doesn't need me to know what ya'll's needs are. He just needs me to remember you in prayer.

Re: One more holiday bites the dust.. - 12/01/05 01:11 AM

Thanks Thistle,
I do the same for you and all my boomer sisters!

Re: One more holiday bites the dust.. - 12/01/05 02:27 AM

Sandra so good to see you back, missed you and all the news about the farm. Hope your friend gets well soon and doesn't remember anything too bad....so strange!
Posted by: Dianne

Re: One more holiday bites the dust.. - 12/01/05 02:45 AM

Welcome back! We missed you a lot.