Posted by: Lilac Butterfly

New Member - 11/04/05 09:33 AM

This is my first time here. I read about this site in the AARP Bulletin.

It looks as though I will enjoy myself here.

I am a mother of 3 and grandmother of 6 (only one girl). My husband and I have been married 25 years (my second husband).

Anyone else here a former "hippie"?
Posted by: Searcher

Re: New Member - 11/04/05 12:08 PM

Hey, Lilac!

I am supposed to be going to bed, but I just saw your moniker here and had to respond!!!!

Firstly, Lilacs have played a very important part in my life. I grew up where there were rows and rows of lilacs in my yard. Doubles, white, purple, lavendar, every color, every variety = and also crab apple trees and plum. In the spring it was the MOST beautiful place on earth. And I would gather the blossoms in great , huge, numbers and put them in every room in our house. The bigger the bunch, the better. Dramatic. And beautiful and sooooooooooo fragrant! Every spring , even today, I scour the alleyways to find lilacs and STEAL them!!!!!!

AS to butterflies ....I recently lost my daughter. Upon returning from the hospital, the day she died, there were probably 50 butterflies surrounding my front door. Now, I had never seen this in my entire life (I'm 58) = and they were swirling around me, touching my face, my hands, my body. Flying everywhere, engulfing me with their presence, their joy. And one in particular landed just by my face on the front door post and linguered there. I was transfixed. And surely convinced that this was my girl - freed at last from the horrible bonds of earth - happy and FLYING among angels. It is said that in Tibetan culture, there is no distinction between the word butterfly and soul. I believe them.

In any case, welcome here, and I was always a "wanna be" hippie. Had an afro, (I naturally have VERY curly hair)and was a tad "off" with my dress. But really a small town girl whose dad taught school where I attended - so he knew if I skipped out for 5 minutes.......wo was me, I had to follow "the rules"...

Searcher

(I did a number in college tho'- tee hee heee)
Posted by: Pam Kimmell

Re: New Member - 11/04/05 03:58 PM

Welcome Lilac! So glad you found us here.....you can count me in the "former hippie" department (!).....I could say with confidence that I've "been there/done that" and thankfully am still here to tell the tale! LOL

I have a lot of great memories of the 60s & 70s as do many, many of us here......we're glad you've joined us and hope to see you "around" on the forum!
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: New Member - 11/04/05 07:01 PM

Pam, I'm laughing out loud at your post. I didn't peg you as a former hippie.

Searcher, you HAVE to meet lionspaaw. She has butterfly stories too. Her son died in his very early twenties. Search her out and email her. I think you'd hit it off.

Lilac, thank for coming in. I think you'll enjoy hanging out with us. How does the one girl in the family handle it?

Tell us about your hippie days in the Remember forum if you want.

Oh, I still haven't seen the BWS mention in the AARP Bulletin. Can you please tell me what it said. I'm dying to know.
Posted by: yepthatsme2

Re: New Member - 11/04/05 07:18 PM

Hi Lilac,

Like Searcher...I so love lilacs. When we lived in Warner Springs, Ca., lilacs lined the front of the screened in porch. Every morning I opened the front door and let the aroma fill the house.
Property at one time belonged to LON CHANEY, it consisted of one main house and 3 houses to the rear. It was said he stored liquor in the main house and lived in one of the smaller houses.
Find myself off the path again, anyways...

I am a mother of 5 and grandmother to only 1 so far. Looking forward to more.

I'm more than positive you will enjoy yourself here... welcome.
Posted by: NHJackie

Re: New Member - 11/04/05 07:32 PM

Welcome, Lilac. Did you know they are our state flower here in NH? I absolutely love them.

Being on the "cusp" of the boomer generation, I missed out on the hippie movement. We were on our honeymoon when Woodstock happened, and didn't know what anyone was talking about because we didn't watch the news for 2 weeks. I've become much more politically and social aware since. LOL
Posted by: TVC15

Re: New Member - 11/04/05 07:49 PM

Hi Lilac,
Welcome to the Boomer women forum!
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: New Member - 11/05/05 04:27 AM

Wow we're in AARP too, will wonders never cease? Welome lilac, my favorte flower ever.
Posted by: Bluebird

Re: New Member - 11/05/05 04:29 AM

Welcome Lilac! My favorite flower also, and I, too, was a flower child!! Still got a little in me...
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: New Member - 11/05/05 04:51 AM

Actually, my favorite is Martha White...what? Okay, okay...Lilac, welcome girlfriend, to the greatest boomer home on the net.

If you want to discuss it, you can do it here.
If you want to scream about it, you can do that here too! If you want to gossip, come sit next to me, 'k?

Hugs, JJ
Posted by: Eagle Heart

Re: New Member - 11/05/05 05:03 AM

Hi Lilac, Welcome to our little corner of the world...we're a wise, witty, wonderful group of women.

I like lilacs too, we have one lonely lovely little lilac tree in our teeny tiny back yard.

I think I was a hippie...bell-bottomed jeans, paisley shirts, long-past-my-hip hair with a flower behind my ear, a die-hard Cowsill fan (until David Cassidy came along), and I spent many Friday evenings sipping herbal tea in coffee houses listening to open-stage guitar-picking folk singers.

Re: New Member - 11/05/05 07:01 AM

So, Eagle,

Did you inhale? LOL LOL LOL......

I did. But it made my heart flutter, so I just hung out watching everyone else inhale and got such a kick out of their "purple haze" moments that I still remember them. So yeah, I still remember the 60's LOL LOL LOL.....bell bottoms and all....And I can't stand it that the "retro" look is back. I buried those bell bottoms long ago and don't really want to see them ever again - or those platform shoes that came later...(or am I thinking of 5 years ago? I seem to lose track nowadays). "Cum by ya my friends, cum by ya" (sp?) So about that song, I learned somewhere that that is actually an old slave song, meaning , "come by here, my friends, come by here"....

Re: New Member - 11/05/05 07:10 AM

So maybe this should be OUR BWS song - come by here, my friends, come by here......
Posted by: mellodysmiles

Re: New Member - 11/05/05 09:48 AM

Welcome Lilac Butterfly,
As you have probably surmised we are a lively group. Glad to have you. [Big Grin]
Posted by: Junebug

Re: New Member - 11/05/05 01:02 PM

Lilac Butterfly,
My oldest sister is crazy about butterflies. I got her a tiffinay style butterfly lamp in the shape of a butterfly in purples and lilacs for Christmas, her favorite colors! I cannot wait until we go to Tx for Christmas and I watch her open it!
Welcome and you will really enjoy this group!
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: New Member - 11/07/05 11:49 AM

Welcome Lilac Butterfly. I definitely was an old hippie [Cool] [Cool] [Cool] Glorious velvet and satin clothes with fringes everywhere. I sang along with Gracie Slick on my Jefferson Airplane albums and danced onstage when Jimi Hendrix played San Francisco (until the security guards kicked me off!)
Posted by: Dianne

Re: New Member - 11/07/05 06:16 PM

Meredith, you wild woman! I saw his gravesite in Paris. People still lay flowers on it after all these years. They also sit there and smoke dope. Hmmm...
Posted by: Sherri

Re: New Member - 11/07/05 07:16 PM

I love lilacs too, and have one little bush in my backyard that hasn't bloomed yet since I planted it. Hope it does this spring.

Welcome to our family.
Posted by: Dreamer

Re: New Member - 11/14/05 08:54 AM

Gee, JawJaw, do you really like Martha White better than Pillsbury???!!

Welcome, Lilac Butterfly! What a beautiful name! I have 4 grandchildren, just 1 girl! She just turned 2 and her twin brothers will turn 1 next week! Her parents are very, very busy! I have been married to my second husband for 4 years.

I was too shy and too self-conscious to be a flower-child. I wonder if I can be a flower-granny??
Posted by: Dreamer

Re: New Member - 11/14/05 08:55 AM

P.S. Pam....I didn't have you pictured as a hippie-type back then, either! I want to hear about it! I'll write you!