HELP....please.

Posted by: chatty lady

HELP....please. - 04/22/07 12:55 AM

Has anyone heard of, or better still used, or know anyone who has used Iuniverse? I need some feedback and am asking straight out. You can PM me if you'd rather, for confidentiality. Thanks you.
Chats
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: HELP....please. - 04/22/07 12:32 PM

Chatty, a simple "google" will give you all the info, good and bad, that you could ever want. Google is our friend.
Posted by: Louisa

Re: HELP....please. - 04/22/07 01:44 PM

WAsn't IUniverse taken over by Authorhouse, or was that another one. Authorhouse had another name before.

Re: HELP....please. - 04/22/07 01:50 PM

AuthorHouse (formerly 1st Books): Not recommended. A vanity publisher.
5/17/06 - If you don't know by now, AuthorHouse lost a libel suit in court. It seems that the courts and jury decided that a publisher couldn't disavow itself of what it published. In other words, AuthorHouse should have vetted what it accepted before publishing. Now they owe several hundred thousand dollars and may have to pay even more in punitive damages.

The above was on Preditors and Editors. Here is what they had to say about IUniverse:

iUniverse: Vanity and self-publisher service. Site provides honest information about their services.

Here is the link for P&E. http://www.anotherealm.com/prededitors/peba.htm

Re: HELP....please. - 04/22/07 01:52 PM

ps----if you'll go here http://www.anotherealm.com/prededitors/pubwarn.htm
you'll find all kinds of sites that you can check out telling you the pros and cons of publishing places/editors, etc...
Posted by: gims

Re: HELP....please. - 04/23/07 12:17 AM

iUniverse is listed as a referred author services source @Lightning Source

But Write and Publish didn't include it in their comparison report @Write&Publish

So, dumb question from me...
Can you buy an ISBN direct and if yes, do you know how much?
Posted by: Laurel

Re: HELP....please. - 04/23/07 12:53 AM

An older gentleman in one of my writing groups has used IUniverse and likes them.

I don't know first hand because I don't self publish.

Laurel
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: HELP....please. - 04/24/07 07:39 AM

gimster -- yes, from Bowker. They're the prime source; everyone else buys from them and then resells. Google them Bowker +isbn. You can buy one or a block of 10.
Posted by: gims

Re: HELP....please. - 04/24/07 07:18 PM

From Bowker's frequently asked questions & answers:
Quote:

How much does it cost to get an ISBN?
There is a service fee to process all ISBN applications. Service fee information is contained on the application. Priority and Express processing involve an additional fee.
NOTE: The processing service charge is NON-REFUNDABLE.

Here's what it says on the application:
Quote:

Please note: There is a Publisher Registration Fee. The fee will be charged to your credit card, in addition to your selected processing fee, and the total will be reflected on the application itself.
The Publisher Registration Fee is as follows: $29.95 10 ISBNs; $64.95 100 ISBNs; $179.95 1000 ISBNs.

But, reading further, I found this:
Quote:

ISBN List of Services & Fees
REGULAR PROCESSING (15 business days turnaround)

ISBN price list (the categories below include the combined processing fees and registration fees):
10 ISBNs: $269.95
100 ISBNs: $914.95
1000 ISBNs: $1429.95

So, am I reading this correctly?
The registration fee per ISBN is $29.95
The processing fee per ISBN is $24.00
Bringing the cost of getting an ISBN to $53.95
(assuming they even sell in singles)

Anyone know the differences?
processing fee vs. service fee (vs. registration fee)

This is for my dad's book, not mine.
Posted by: Songbird

Re: HELP....please. - 04/26/07 04:50 PM

$269.95 for a block of 10 numbers is correct. See below:
http://www.isbn.org/standards/home/isbn/us/isbn-fees.asp
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: HELP....please. - 04/26/07 10:23 PM

WOW! Thanks for all the informative information. I have passed it ALL along to my friend so she can make an educated decision. Again thank you all so very much, you all rock!!!
Posted by: Saundra

Re: HELP....please. - 04/29/07 01:17 AM

Chatty, please tell your friend to read all contracts before deciding. She should explore at least five houses and read all the small print, especially in relation to keeping her rights.
Posted by: Casey

Re: HELP....please. - 04/29/07 07:22 PM

Hi,
They are listing fees per ISBN block, not individual ISBNs. The minimum block you can get is 10. You can't get a single one.
Casey