Book Crossing Anyone?

Posted by: Eagle Heart

Book Crossing Anyone? - 10/04/06 11:44 AM

I had heard of this concept, but never investigated it until this morning. I went to this site: http://www.bookcrossing.com/home and registered a copy of my book with the intention of "releasing it into the wild" later this afternoon. Has anyone else ever done something like this? I love the idea...it will be interesting to see how far Eagle flies!
Posted by: Princess Lenora

Re: Book Crossing Anyone? - 10/04/06 02:57 PM

I had not heard of this until you mentioned it. Interesting concept.
Posted by: Dianne

Re: Book Crossing Anyone? - 10/04/06 03:04 PM

This would work for me since I travel so much. Leave a copy of my book on the seat when I leave and let The Universe put it in the hands of one who needs it.

I read that when you board a plane, you should have the flight attendant give a copy of your book to the captain so I tried this once. He actually came back to my seat and asked me to autograph it because he had a friend who was involved in an abusive relationship and he wanted her to read it. Divine Intervention.

Re: Book Crossing Anyone? - 10/04/06 03:15 PM

It would never occur to me to give a copy to the flight captain. Several of our friends in Cuba desperately want copies, even though they don't read English very well. I try to bring two or three down each trip, but with the new weight restrictions, it might not be possible to bring more than one at a time. I'll try to remember to bring one along to give to the plane pilot.
Posted by: Pam Kimmell

Re: Book Crossing Anyone? - 10/04/06 03:24 PM

I joined Book Crossing ages ago and have "released" a number of books. It's fun to see where they wind up. It's a great idea!

Re: Book Crossing Anyone? - 10/04/06 07:12 PM

I don't know if I "released" mine well today. It was my first releasing and being shy, I felt rather self-conscious about it. I left it in an enormous, almost-empty waiting area at the hospital by picking up a few magazines, pretending to flip through them and then leaving the book tucked in amongst the magazines when I put them back down. There was only one other person in the area at the time and I had my back to him so I didn't think he was watching or interested. But by the time I got to the other end of the area (where my brother was waiting for blood tests), the gentleman had already walked over to the table and found my book and was sitting there looking into it! I was too far away to see his reaction but he seemed to actually be reading it. It gave me a thrill to think of one of my Eagles out there in infinite randomness like that!
Posted by: Dianne

Re: Book Crossing Anyone? - 10/04/06 08:30 PM

You're so cute, Eagle. Nervous about leaving your book there. I'm laughing as I write this!
Posted by: Pam Kimmell

Re: Book Crossing Anyone? - 10/04/06 09:11 PM

Sounds to me like you definitely met your goal with the released book at the hospital.....I did the same thing at the hospital I go to every week. I also donated copies of my books to the Infusion Center so that chemo patients might enjoy them while they are getting their treatments.