How to write a screenplay

Posted by: Dianne

How to write a screenplay - 08/18/04 01:45 AM

I want to try my hand at writing a screenplay but need some help with the format. Now, I have a trial download of scriptwriting but it doesn't give a clue about how or where to put anything. Do any of you know a site that shows the idiots guide to screenplays?
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: How to write a screenplay - 08/18/04 03:29 AM

Dianne, that's great news! What sort of questions do you have? Although I'm far from an expert, I have been informally studying screenwriting for a few months.

I'm currently working on one that I will submit for a contest. As you probably know, this type of writing is a bit more tedious since it's ACTION! vs. telling a story.

Here are a couple of links to get familiar with: http://www.script-o-rama.com/table.shtml

http://www.filmmakers.com/features/screenwriting/how2_write_script.htm

These have some of the current popular scripts and how much they were purchased for. That's pretty motivational for me, beside the fact that I love screenwriting. The other deals with the industry and have guidelines and other need to know info.

Sheree [Smile]

[ August 17, 2004, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: Sugaree ]

Re: How to write a screenplay - 08/18/04 05:20 PM

Oh Sugar, thank you so much. What helpful links.

I need to learn how to format a screenplay. If I could find a class in town that teaches it, I would take it. Most of the classes in Nashville are for songwriters! Not a talent I'm interested in learning.

This is yet another reason why sites like this are so wonderful. You ask and then...you receive! Bless you.
Posted by: Toni

Re: How to write a screenplay - 08/18/04 05:45 PM

Hi Dianne,

A link you might want to check out is www.edu2go.com. They have many great writing classes and I believe they have a scriptwriting class.

Hope this helps.

Re: How to write a screenplay - 08/28/04 02:03 AM

I just found your response, Toni. Thank you so very much. I just emailed them for info.