Your favorite housewarming gift?

Posted by: TVC15

Your favorite housewarming gift? - 03/12/05 11:22 PM

What was your favorite housewarming gift that you ever received?
Mine is a book about the town I moved from in New York. It's fun to look through and remember being there. I would have never bought it when I lived there but appreciate having it now.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Your favorite housewarming gift? - 03/13/05 06:30 PM

I received a riding lawnmower from a guy I was dating when I bought the house I'm living in now.

JJ
Posted by: Dianne

Re: Your favorite housewarming gift? - 03/13/05 07:14 PM

Oh, well, we won't ask what you did to get THAT kind of gift, will we?
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Your favorite housewarming gift? - 03/14/05 08:02 AM

actually, when he called me to say he was buying it, I said, "DO NOT get that! This is wayyy to generous a gift. Please DO NOT purchase that machine." The schmuck did anyway...Bet you are thinking "what a great guy." Uh huh...oh yeah...it was the first thing he asked for when I said I thought we needed to see other people..."Well, what kind of arrangements would you like to make on the lawnmower?" I kid you not. A gift? Not really...I found out later his boss was with him when he made the purchase and he just wanted to look good in front of him. The jerk. What did I tell him? First I thought about telling him the arrangements would be for him to shove it up....ah...well, let's just say that kind of arrangement wouldn't have been possible, so I told him I like him backing up to my driveway and hauling off HIS lawnmower because I could buy my own. My NEW lawnmower was sitting there when he came to get HIS. He later called and apologized and wanted us to date again. I told him when he could learn to make his butt whistle Dixie, we would. Okay, so maybe I didn't use those exact words...but he got the picture.

JJ

JJ
Posted by: smilinize

Re: Your favorite housewarming gift? - 03/14/05 08:26 AM

I bet Alabamy is full of jj's abandonned butt whistlin,' lawn mowin,' lovers. What a picture.
smile
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Your favorite housewarming gift? - 03/13/05 09:32 PM

Smile, thanks for sharing! Butt whistlers? Lovely!

We have lived in our home for twenty-plus years. Sorry to say, but I can't remember housewarming gifts. Too old, I guess.
Posted by: smilinize

Re: Your favorite housewarming gift? - 03/13/05 09:52 PM

Dots, I bet if JJ's butt whistlin,' lawn mowin,' ex boyfriend shows up with a house warming lawn tractor, you'll remember!
smile

Re: Your favorite housewarming gift? - 03/14/05 09:19 PM

You better believe it!
Posted by: Vicki M. Taylor

Re: Your favorite housewarming gift? - 03/15/05 02:29 AM

I guess my favorite gift was a plant because it instantly made the house feel homey. Sheesh. I'm easy to please, I guess.

If you're the Queen, I guess you should expect Queenly gifts.. but a riding lawnmower? Wow.

Re: Your favorite housewarming gift? - 03/15/05 07:51 PM

Vicki, being easy to please is a blessing. Don't you think?

I love plants too. I'm surrounded by them in my office.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Your favorite housewarming gift? - 03/16/05 08:34 AM

My housewarming was my sister and my son and his wife moving in with me. rent fre of course. Was my house warmed? Nope, but I was a bit hotter under the collar.... [Mad]
Posted by: CompuNerdie

Re: Your favorite housewarming gift? - 03/19/05 05:13 AM

People give housewarming gifts, for real?! I need to have friends like yours! [Big Grin]
Posted by: Danita

Re: Your favorite housewarming gift? - 03/19/05 07:31 PM

My favorite housewarming gift was a basket full of "pounds".

A pound of butter, a pound of sugar, a pound of flour...and pounds of other things.

People just moving usually can use staples. I think this was such a creative idea!

danita
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Your favorite housewarming gift? - 03/20/05 06:27 AM

Now thats a neat idea. Pounds of stuff. Actually I did get some nice housewarming gifts. My first house was a little sweet place and my new husband bought me the fattest cutest St. Bernard puppy ever. Her name was Cleo....

My second home which came 9 or so years later my best friends, five of them together got me 6 Lilac bushes planted by a nursery beneath each bedroom window and 1 off the back patio. Now thats the gift that kept on giving.

This Vegas house was the one I mentioned above where everyone moved in for free. Been here for 15 years and still waiting for a housewarming gift. Geesh!!!! [Razz]
Posted by: Kat

Re: Your favorite housewarming gift? - 03/20/05 11:44 PM

I have to agree with bushes being my favorite housewarming gift. The darn things are taller than the house now but remind me always of dear friends.
Posted by: CompuNerdie

Re: Your favorite housewarming gift? - 03/21/05 01:04 PM

wow that is so sweet! a puppy. The flower bushes are a great idea as well. I'll have to remember these things when my friends start getting new places.

Re: Your favorite housewarming gift? - 03/23/05 08:39 AM

chatty, your post remided me of a few neat gifts we got when Mom died. One friend gave us a weeping cherry tree. We also got a pink azaleia, some bulbs, and heather for the garden from other friends.

This had become my favorite gift idea for deaths. Plants and flowers are forever expressing new life. When I see them in my garden I think of Mom and her new life in heaven. It makes me smile.