Knitting

Posted by: Ellie

Knitting - 09/07/04 09:38 PM

Does anyone know who teaches beginner knitting in the Baltimore area??? My niece has been making these unbelievable pocketbooks but she lives in New York and we have not been together long enough for her to teach me - It seems much easier then a sweater - I used to know how and just want to refresh on the basics
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Knitting - 09/07/04 09:52 PM

how cool Elle. What do they look like? I would be interested in seeing one. I knit. Too bad we don't live closer!

JJ

Re: Knitting - 09/07/04 10:32 PM

they are kind of sack shaped but she also lines them with really wild cotton print fabric and a wooden bamboo type handle - one she put a fringe on the top with this crazy yarn -
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Knitting - 09/07/04 11:45 PM

Oh they sound great. I would love to see a pic of one. I hope you find someone to help you. Thanks for sharing

JJ
Posted by: lionspaaw

Re: Knitting - 09/09/04 03:14 AM

Ellie --

If you already know how to knit and just need to "brush up" - couldn't you use one of the "teach yourself to knit" type books -- they have all the basics in there.

Then if you have trouble with the pattern you can either get your daughter to help you via email/phone or come here and we'll try to help [Smile]

carolyn
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Knitting - 09/09/04 08:46 PM

How about the Baltimore County Adult Ed? Do they ofer knotting? [Razz] How about knitting?
Posted by: Thistle Cove Farm

Re: Knitting - 09/18/04 04:06 PM

Elle - you need to go to the Great Knit In which is in DC, http://www.knit-out.org/ is the website and it's the 19th of September...TOMORROW!!! You'll get LOTS of help, meets wonderful people and have a fabulous time.

Wish I could be there.

Re: Knitting - 09/20/04 10:24 PM

I actually found a knitting teacher on the Curves bulletin board!!!! Another great thing about Curves - 8 classes $80.00 and we actually make a vest - can't wait - my dream is to knit Christmas stockings for my grandchildren!!! I can't beleive I just said that!!! My boys are 19 and 20 and not married but its still a dream
Posted by: Old Knitter

Re: Knitting - 06/05/06 04:25 PM

Ellie, I'm so happy to have found a post on knitting. Knitting is my passion. Let me know how you do?

Holly
Posted by: lionspaaw

Re: Knitting - 06/07/06 04:50 AM

hmmmmmm -- knitting is my passion -- I would NEVER have quessed that Old Knitter [Wink]

Knitting seems to becoming a lost art -- it's so much cheaper to go buy that sweater, afghan, etc than to buy yarn -- but there sure isn't anything more relaxing -- unless of course it's crochetting [Big Grin]
Posted by: Daisygirl

Re: Knitting - 06/07/06 05:46 PM

Knitting is becoming more popular. List of celebrity knitters (this list is by no means all inclusive): Julia Roberts, Madonna, Iman, Hilary Swank, Cameron Diaz, Daryl Hannah, Goldie Hawn, Eartha Kitt, Winona Ryder, Julianne Moore, Rose McGowan, Courtney Thorne-Smith, Kate Moss, Madeline Albright, Vanna White, Megan Mullaly, Sarah Jessica Parker, Joanne Woodward, Bob Mackie, Stu Bloomberg, Rosie Grier... Some celebrities are even trying their hand at designing knitwear. Julia Roberts recently had her beautiful random-striped sweater published in McCall's.

I go to a knitting group every Tues. and there is a mix of women there, young and old.

Daisygirl
Posted by: Old Knitter

Re: Knitting - 06/08/06 07:51 AM

Knitters will rule....join us now!

[Wink]