Christmas Cactus

Posted by: Vicki M. Taylor

Christmas Cactus - 03/26/04 09:41 PM

Just a quick update for ya'll. A few months ago we chatted about gardening and I told you about my Christmas cactus. It hadn't bloomed yet, and I made a prediction that it would by March.

Well, just had to tell ya.. It has pretty pink flowers all over it!!

Three months late.. but better late than never, eh?

Peace.
Posted by: Sherri

Re: Christmas Cactus - 03/28/04 09:55 PM

Vicki,

My Mother in law gave me a Christmas cactus and it blooms right around Christmas and also around Easter. Don't know why, but always have blooms right before Easter.

Sherri
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Christmas Cactus - 03/28/04 10:58 PM

Hi ladies, I have lived here in the desert now since 1990. I go out at the end of April with my camera as far out into the desert as possible and thats when the desert is in full bloom, the flowers are breathtaking on the cactus. Then again on or around Christmas there are certain cactus that bloom beautifully. I can only imagine that in March when we begin to get 80 degree weather some species bloom early. All cactus are desert plants and used to constant sunshine. Pretty little things aren't they? [Razz]

Re: Christmas Cactus - 03/29/04 12:38 AM

I lived in Arizona for 12 years before moving to Florida. I do miss the desert in the Spring!

The cactus I have is only supposed to bloom around Christmas time, however, I didn't get a chance to put it in the shadows before Christmas to set it up for blooming. So, it ended up not blooming until now.. But.. that's okay by me, now I have a chance to enjoy it.. where as I wouldn't have earlier!

Life happens for a reason.

Peace.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Christmas Cactus - 03/30/04 07:03 PM

I've never been in a dessert. Sounds like something I would enjoy. I'd take my camera too. Chatty, do you enjoy photography?

Re: Christmas Cactus - 03/31/04 05:09 AM

I do enjoy taking pictures especially of incredible sunsets, flowers, mostly nature things. I am saving up for a camera for my computer so I can send in my picture and also get on Ebay. I have a 16 diamond and ruby tiny cross on a very delicate 22 carat chain for sale and a diamond dinner ring to sell, but my friends say Ebay is the way to go but you must have a picture of the items. When the desert is in bloom it would take your breath away, the colors are spectacular. [Razz]
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Christmas Cactus - 03/31/04 05:10 AM

Dotsie, I recommend going between November and March. Both before and after that, it's too blastingly hot. It's also all BROWN in the summer, as all plants except cactus have died or gone into hibernation from the extreme heat and lack of water.

We're considered semi-desert (not full desert) but we had the hottest temps in the world 2 days this week. 100 yesterday, upper 90s today and the days preceding. Mid-90s the first week in March (also hottest in world.) If it's this hot now, summer's gonna be really bad.
Posted by: smilinize

Re: Christmas Cactus - 03/31/04 07:22 AM

Dotsie, You should definitely see the desert. It is different in different places.
In Nevada and Utah, I was most impressed with the huge mesas, some with different colors at each level.
Driving into Palm Springs you pass hundreds of thousands of white windmills that dance like great white cranes over the barren hills. The town is lush, rich, and green from irrigation and rich residents.
South of Tuscon is another type of desert with a silent beauty all its own. It's dttted with cactus that look like men with their hands in the air during a holdup.
Lake Havasu is a man made oasis in the middle of the desert with a beautiful clear lake like a blue diamond in the sand.
The desert of the southwest around Santa Fe, New Mexico and the art there is wonderful and filled with Hispanic grace.

If you've not seen the desert, you definitely should go.
Thanks
smile

Re: Christmas Cactus - 04/01/04 04:18 AM

If any of you ladies are ever in Las Vegas plase let me know. There are so many things available to people they never see unless hey know someone who can take and show them the sites. I can house at least 3 people here with me, pools, exercise rooms, tennis, libraries, pool tables, saunas, jacuzzis, shuffle board. The desert skys are so clear it seems like you can reach up and touch the stars. Lake Mead a man made lake here in Vegas houses the Hoover dam, a site to see. One thing is that from May to October "ITS HOT." Its also a hard place to keep on a diet. there is so much very delicious food here and very reasonalbe usually. Boy, do I sound like a tour guide or what? [Roll Eyes]
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Christmas Cactus - 04/01/04 04:29 AM

Since I've done a lot of driving through the whole SW US, I'm familiar with all the deserts everyone else has listed. I'd like to add my favorite: Joshua Tree National Monument, south of the Palm Springs area. The rock formations make it feel almost other-worldly.

There's an absolute quiet to the desert sometimes, like seeing out to all eternity.

Re: Christmas Cactus - 04/08/04 10:59 PM

merideth, your post about Joshua Tree Monument made me remember when I was in the Marines and stationed at Twentynine Palms MCB. I used to go with my friends out to the Indio Rocks and go rock climbing. I remember a beautiful waterfall deep in the rocks.

Thanks for the memory!
Posted by: Sherri

Re: Christmas Cactus - 04/09/04 03:42 AM

I think Grand Mesa and Bookend Cliffs are beautiful. Grandma lived in Grand Junction and a view from her windows of both.

The desert is a beautiful place, but I want to live close to the ocean.

Sherri

Chatty, depending on what happens in city pool tournament, we could possibly be there in August.
APA Nationals. We'll see.

Sherri

Re: Christmas Cactus - 04/14/04 04:55 PM

My husband held an aquarium reef club meeting at our house over the past weekend and I got so many wonderful comments on my Christmas Cactus. First that it was blooming and it's APRIL!! But, second because it's so HUGE! They said they've never seen one so big and with so many blooms on it.

Of course, I was asked several times for cuttings, so being ever so careful, I cut off a couple of snips for those who wanted one. It's a great sense of accomplishment to pass along a piece of yourself to others. That's how it felt giving them a snippet of the cactus. I hope they treat it well and it grows as well for them as it does for me.

Peace.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Christmas Cactus - 04/14/04 06:32 PM

Your posts reminds me of dividing perennials and sharing them with friends. It's llike giving a piece of yourself away.

I have a few plants in my garden that were given to me as gifts when my mom died.

Instead of giving a flower arrangement that is gone in a week or two, it's nice to have something that reminds you of the person who died every time you walk out your door.

My sister now has an azaleas in her garden in memory of Mom, her mother-in-law, and father-in-law.

Just thought it might be something for others to remember. [Wink]

Re: Christmas Cactus - 04/14/04 08:23 PM

Excellent reminder, Dotsie!!!

I'd much rather have plants to be a gentle reminder .... it's much more pleasant and gives back to Earth as well.

Peace.

Re: Christmas Cactus - 04/14/04 11:14 PM

Vicki, I just picked up a copy of a free magazine called Maturity Today Magazine and the cover is of cactus now blooming in our desert. The article inside is called Where the Flowers Are: Biking to Desert Blooms. I think you would enjoy it. If you like I can mail a copy to you. My private email address is in my signature below. If you'd like a copy, send me your mailng address and I'll send you one. [Razz]

Re: Christmas Cactus - 04/14/04 11:27 PM

Thanks, Charleen, I've sent you an e-mail with my address... I'd love a copy!

Peace.

Re: Christmas Cactus - 04/16/04 03:58 AM

It's on its way as of today. I hope you enjoy it. [Big Grin] Some of the articles are pretty ood as well.

Re: Christmas Cactus - 04/16/04 05:37 PM

Thanks, Charleen... I lived in AZ for 12 years before I moved to FL. It'll be nice to see the desert again, even if it's only in pictures. [Wink]