hobby?!?!

Posted by: nillawafer

hobby?!?! - 11/08/02 04:59 AM

i have no talents....none... you hear me? i have looked for a hobby since forever. i went to therapy for post traumatic stress disorder for a few months a while back and my therapist told me to find a hobby. i laughed at her. i tried latch hook, at her suggestion, and i liked it for two days. it sits in my room collecting dust and i will never finish it. through therapy, we decided i am all about instant gratification and that may be why i hate hobbies. they take too long to be gratified. if anyone has any suggestions on instant gratification hobbies, please let me know. oh,, and get this,, as luck would have it.. my therapist was deaf, and quit half way thorugh my therapy sessions!! go figure!
Posted by: Candice Johnson

Re: hobby?!?! - 11/08/02 07:57 PM

I know how you feel. I feel like I'm boring because I don't do anything but work. Everything just takes too long. When I played the violin I wasn't reposnsible for a house, so I had time to practice while someone else made dinner. I think for me, it's not so much the instant gratification as the wanting to be really good at it. I get frustrated trying something and quit. Plus I don't have a lot of space for a hobby like making crafts or something.

One thing that I really enjoyed when I lived in that house in Rockville was gardening. Since you live where you can do this year round, it might be good. It's somewhat instant because you do see progress right away, especially if you go buy the flowers already blooming at K-Mart. "They" claim it has great therapeutic value. Plus you could even get yourself a comfortable chair and sit out there and enjoy it while reading, listening to music, painting your nails.

My one friend does scrap booking. She loves getting all the pictures, old menus, matchbooks, and stuff she has together and putting it all together. Not sure if this would be up your ally, but it's a nice way to sort out some stuff you've been hanging on to and a nice memory to have.
Posted by: LadySims

Re: hobby?!?! - 02/10/05 08:15 AM

Hi Nillawafer, I know where you're coming from...I think I have the same problem, LOL
Hubby bought me a Large Fish Tank for my Birthday a few years ago & we got some Fancy-Tailed Guppies to put in it. They are Fresh water fishies, so are easy to care for AND they Multiply !!! My Pet Store takes the ones I don't want & gives me Free Fish Food in exchange. They are a lot of fun to watch & when the Babies come, oh my it's Exciting, LOL I also enjoy taking their pictures & sending them in E-mails. [Smile]
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: hobby?!?! - 02/10/05 12:22 PM

nillawafer, why not crossword puzzles? They take up almost no space, and you can put them down whenever you finish them or don't, and not feel guilty. Plus, they're FREE in the daily newspaper.

Another idea would be to pick a topic or ideas that interest you, and look them up on the internet. Learning is a great hobby. There's no rule that hobbies have to involve collecting or building something.
Posted by: nillawafer

Re: hobby?!?! - 02/17/05 01:53 AM

that is kind of funny because i do the crossword puzzles everyday. i never considered that a hobby but i guess it could be. wow...now i feel important. i finally have a hobby. the best kind!! a free hobby. thanks for making my day. i do the jumble too. geesh...now i have two hobbies!! dang i better get going i am too busy for this internet stuff!!! i have too many hobbies to keep track of now. egads... i do the wishing well too and sometimes scrabble in the paper.... i am OUT OF CONTROL!!!!!!!
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: hobby?!?! - 02/20/05 11:32 PM

Oh my gosh...it's so good to see you again. I remember how much I enjoyed your funny posts. DO stick around. Can you make this a hobby? [Razz]
Posted by: MClubPrez

Re: hobby?!?! - 02/21/05 06:04 AM

now that nila recognizes she DOES have some hobbies, it got me thinking...

Napping is a hobby of mine that I am really enjoying during this long winter.

And as soon as summer is here again, I plan on picking up my warm-weather hobby of making Margaritas.

As with any hobby, the key is to keep at it to improve! [Big Grin]

My newest, bestest hobby, however, is BWS! JJ tried to warn me-it has become addictive. [Razz]
Posted by: Sandi

Re: hobby?!?! - 03/29/06 09:51 AM

Golf, golf and more golf. The End.
Posted by: Old Knitter

Re: hobby?!?! - 06/10/06 12:35 AM

I don't suppose I could interest you in my hobby? Knitting It is enjoyable, portable, you can put it away when you want.....and, you end up with something really nice when you're done.
Posted by: AvalonBlondi

Re: hobby?!?! - 06/10/06 03:08 AM

Old Knitter,
I haven't picked up a knitting needle since High School...and I really want to relearn it..in fact, it was one of my New Year's resolutions....when was that? 6 months ago?ANYWAY...I read that knitting keeps your mind sharp and is also a destressor...both important to me...so...hopefully I will find time to sign up for a class soon and be able to join you in the knitting circle... [Smile]
Posted by: Louisa

Re: hobby?!?! - 06/11/06 07:38 AM

There are millions of hobbies. Crossword puzzles are great. It keeps your mind sharp too. Reading?? Journaling? If you knit, which I don't but used to and may again, these days they have such beautiful yarn. Lots of people do those lovey scarfs with varigated yarn. They are so pretty, are easy to do, work up in one night I'm told, and make great gifts at the same time. Scrapbooking is great if you have a lot of photos around. With all the stuff out there now, including scrapbooks that come already for you to just cut and plop the pictures in. People watching doesn't cost anything either and it can be fun. Gardening? Don't have to start from seeds you know? If you want instant gratification, buy the plants and stick them in the ground. Water and fertilize them and watch them grow. Or, buy a few house plants and take care of them. (not for me. I don't have a green thumb, but it's an idea.) Surf the internet. Google your friends. Look up old friends. Email can be kind of a hobby. There are just endless possibilities. what kinds of things do you like to do? What interests you? Do you like working with your hands? Things that make you think? (crosswords) Try the new Sudoku puzzles.

Just a few thought.

Louisa
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: hobby?!?! - 06/10/06 10:38 PM

Jigsaw puzzles. That's my hobby. I work them, glue them, frame them, and then donate them to children's homes or orphanges...I also have tons of them in my home. I solve the world's problems while working one. Dang it all, now you all have done it. I haven't gotten one out this year and now you've revived that old "I want to work one" feeling. (Queen pulls out old worn out cardboard table and large piece of postboard ... then drags out her latest jigsaw puzzle to work mumbling all the way)....

I've also started working crossword puzzles and THOSE SUCKERS are going to cause me to drink.... I mean for the love of Mike who knew that "junk" was a ship? Who knew?

JJ
Posted by: Dancing Dolphin

Re: hobby?!?! - 06/10/06 11:07 PM

We'll all chip in and get you a crossword puzzle dictionary - my mom would be lost without hers. She also loves jigsaw puzzles. I pick up several of them for her whenever I can find them. Have you seen this website? www.bitsandpieces.com

She does the puzzle, takes a picture of it, then puts it back in the box and sends it along to my uncle, who also does puzzles. Those ones without the rectangular borders are hard - have you tried those?

Doing puzzles as a kid, my job was to find the pieces with the flat edge to get the border started, but these new ones - I wouldn't know where to start!

Re: hobby?!?! - 06/11/06 03:29 AM

Love the site...did you see this one?

http://www.bitsandpieces.com/products/sku-04-0874-027__id-1.html

JJ
Posted by: Dancing Dolphin

Re: hobby?!?! - 06/11/06 04:21 AM

Wow, a poster sized Elvis -- JJ, are you a secret Elvis fan? (or not so secret!)

Re: hobby?!?! - 06/11/06 09:40 PM

If you cut me, I would bleed sequins, that is how much of a Elvis fan I am...

I have three Elvis jigsaw puzzles hanging in my office right now, plus old calendars I've saved over the years...he kissed my Mamma, my baby sister, and my aunt Butterball at one of his concerts here in Huntsville, AL. He also called one of my sisters thanking her for a picture she sent him of his Mamma. The tag on the front of my VW says, "ELVIS." I play nothing but Elvis Christmas songs during the holidays, and on most Sundays, his gospel music.

I just wish he would stop pumping gas in Arizona and make his comeback....ya know?

Bout now Danita will be popping in...she loves him too...right Ms D? (teehee...)

JJ
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: hobby?!?! - 06/11/06 11:05 PM

Rick and June, Mom always had a jigsaw puzzle going when we were kids. The only job I would accept was gathering the straight edge pieces. I loved putting the border together. What a hoot. Something else we have in common.
Posted by: Eagle Heart

Re: hobby?!?! - 06/12/06 07:39 AM

I've always loved jigsaw puzzles; in fact I have several unopened new ones. But this house is so tiny and so full of stuff that we cleared out of Mom's house, the cottage and my old aunt's apartment, that there's honestly no place to do a jigsaw puzzle. I've wanted to set up a special table in the basement, but with 30 boxes of my books still piled up around every nook and cranny, there's not even room for a wee jigsaw table!

As my nieces start moving out on their own, hopefully we can start to clear out some of this stuff, but until then, we're the keepers of the legacies!

But I look forward to the day when I can finally open those jigsaw puzzles!
Posted by: Eagle Heart

Re: hobby?!?! - 06/12/06 07:46 AM

PS. I've been waiting for another Elvis sighting here...Danita, where are you? JJ, I'm all shook up; please love me tender and pass the oreos, this could be the start of something good...
Posted by: flossie

Re: hobby?!?! - 06/13/06 02:01 AM

Anyone do cryptic crosswords?? They really make the mind work!.
Posted by: AvalonBlondi

Re: hobby?!?! - 06/13/06 11:51 AM

Flossie, my hubby is addicted to cryptic crosswords...I love words but I prefer to play Scrabble as opposed to working on a simple crossword puzzle alone...I crave that interaction with other people...probably why I love being on this forum so much!!.. [Smile]

Re: hobby?!?! - 06/13/06 06:32 PM

Flossie, I don't do a cryptic crossword puzzle, but sometimes I do the crypt-a-quote. Is that the same thing? It really gives my old brain a work out!

JJ
Posted by: Louisa

Re: hobby?!?! - 06/15/06 05:33 AM

I do like that puzzle of Elvis!
Louisa