My dogs, my house, my Dad, my family, my friends and my computer...

Posted by: Micki

My dogs, my house, my Dad, my family, my friends and my computer... - 11/03/02 09:35 AM

Well, these are the things that I consider my "hobbies" these days. With 5 Chesapeakes, I am kept very busy providing love, attention and feeding to the crew, and then there is the training itself. I just love being involved with the dogs and the people I have met and whom have befriended me and mine are the absolute best in the world. My house is a work-in-progress ALL the time, and I love being in it. My Dad is my salvation and my sanity and I love him more than I could have ever imagined. My families (both my own and Tim's)are very important to me and provide me with a constant in my life, which I need badly right now. My friends--well, what can I say? They are always there, always willing to listen or lend a hand or an ear, always faithful. My computer is my vehicle away from my everyday life. I play games, read, stay in touch with faraway people and places, research, whatever I can do or feel the need to do. I still read when I can (Best books lately? "Find Me" by Rosie O'Donnell, "Good Owners, Great Dogs" by Brian Kilcommon, "The 36 Hour Day" by Nancy Mace and Peter Rabins, and "We were the Mulvaneys" by Joyce Carol Oates. I am now in the middle of "Red Dragon". I also go to the movies a lt with friends, and the best ones I have seen lately are "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" and "Red Dragon". Then there is the MUSIC--I ADORE Broadway and anything by the Dixie Chicks, the Judds, Mongomery Gentry and Billy Joel. We have season tickets to the Mechanic and the Lyric, and summer concert series tickets to Nissan Pavillion (Saw Montgomery Gentry, Alan Jackson, and Kenny Chesney this time around).
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: My dogs, my house, my Dad, my family, my friends and my computer... - 11/09/02 03:37 PM

Wow! Five CBRs? (Chesapeake Bay Retrievers) Best dog I ever had. She came from champion stock in Trappe, MD and we bred her to another papered Chessie named Chocolate Chip. They produced 6 beautiful puppies way back around 1975 or so. Wonder if any of your dogs are offspring? Does Kevin Bacon's 6 degrees of separation include dogs?

Re: My dogs, my house, my Dad, my family, my friends and my computer... - 11/09/02 04:33 PM

I think it does--all Chessies are related back to the 2 Newfie pups that were on the ship from Newfoundland that sunk in the Chesapeake Bay in the 1800's (Canton and Sailor) and were then bred to the "Eastern Shore Duck Dogs" that were hybrids of whatever dogs had been bred to each other by the market gunners back then. We supposedly have Irish Water Spaniel, Labrador and Newfie in there, plus whatever else.

Do you still have the parents' names and I can research and see. I THINK there is a Chocolate Chip in one of my dogs' pedigrees. It would be fun to find out!!

Re: My dogs, my house, my Dad, my family, my friends and my computer... - 11/26/02 01:36 PM

Just got the word that my little female, Waterways Indian Made, is doing well at "boot camp" with my friend Tom in Philly. She is "cohabitating" with his pup, Bull, and is ruling the roost! Maddie is almost a year and a half old, and is being trained in hunting skills. I miss her so much---can't believe that with 5 of my own (three are away with friends for training)I still can miss each one!

Re: My dogs, my house, my Dad, my family, my friends and my computer... - 11/27/02 01:38 PM

My father is a wonder to me. My mother has been gone now for almost 6 years, and his sister just died yesterday. He is upset, but strong and always there for anyone who needs it. He was at the hospital yesterday to visit her when he was told that she had just died by the nurses in the SICU recovery room, and he was there with her husband immediately after and the entire time until their son and his famiy got there. Today, he is going to the funeral home with my uncle and cousin to make the arrangements for the cremation. He is worried about Uncle Cal more than himself. When my husband died, he was right here, and when I had my surgery, he was here to take care of me 24/7 until I got better (took 6 months!)My father is a wonderful man, and I hope that someday somebody will tell me that I am like him. It would be the best compliment that anyone could give me. He is patriotic, compassionate, caring, kind, hardworking and loving; he is one of the best people I have ever known.

Re: My dogs, my house, my Dad, my family, my friends and my computer... - 11/28/02 08:49 AM

Reading your post is like listening to my inner thoughts about MY dad. We are truly blessed! I often think that I have such trust in God the Father because I know I can trust my earthly father so much. I always think of my dad as a good samaritan. Just like your dad, people can always count on him for a kind word or deed, and then some! That describes him best! From him I have learned the benefits of being a true neighbor. Everyone is his neighbor. He receives so much when he gives. It is what he does best and it keeps him going! It is so nice to hear another grown woman appreciate her father. How great that our dads are friends. By the way...are you ready for this? I know you and you are JUST LIKE YOUR DAD.

Re: My dogs, my house, my Dad, my family, my friends and my computer... - 09/06/03 03:33 PM

Had to resurrect this post from months ago because I was thinking that visiting my Dad is sorta like a hobby for me.

Sounds weird but it's something I enjoy doing and definitely a way I spend some time.

I often wonder what I will do when he is gone. Sick thought, but definitely one that creeps up on me every now and then.

Anyone else consider visiting a hobby, or I a weirdo and in need of new hobbies?

[ September 06, 2003, 08:34 AM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: My dogs, my house, my Dad, my family, my friends and my computer... - 09/06/03 05:28 PM

Talk about something being near and dear to my heart. This post is. My Daddy has Lewy-Body Dementia which is akin to Alzheimers, but the life expectany is shorter, and people with LBD hallucinate. I go every night to the VA home and visit. I think I have mentioned him in a post earlier somewhere. Talk about being best friends, we are. We always were. He taught me self-respect, compassion for others, and the love of God and country. He taught me to have pride in myself, in my family and my job. But mostly he taught me how to forgive and that it is okay to say "I'm sorry." Not only to myself but to others. I visit every night and most nights, he knows it is me. He is a cut up with everyone at the home even though his mind is practically gone. His sense of humor is intact. Isn't that odd? I guess I am a chip off the old block. I have wondered what I will do when I can't go there and see him! I stay until they put him to put each night. I always get a hug, a kiss and he says "honey, I hope you know how much your Daddy loves you," before he closes his eyes. How can I replace that when he is gone? I can't. So see Dotsie, you aren't the only one. I have friends, tons of friends, but only one best friend. Daddy.

Re: My dogs, my house, my Dad, my family, my friends and my computer... - 09/07/03 01:18 AM

I just re-read this entire thing, and I am feeling really melancholy tonight. My father hasn;t been feeling very well lately and has been sort of hiding it from everyone. We went to my (Tim's) nephews' 50th birthday party today and he just wasn't himself. I am so scared--I just lost Tim and my mother within about a year and a halfs' timeframe a bit more than three years ago. Dad just isn't being himself. He said his doctor told him that he isn't feeling tip-top due to the meds that he is taking (a beta-blocker and Lipitor) to keep him from having a heart attack or a stroke, so he wants to stop taking them. He says if he can't live with the side-effects of the drugs, then he'd rather have the consequences when-ever they come and live the way he wants to until then. So, here I am to lay my worries at your doorsteps, ladies. I am NOT ready to lose my father....I can't bear the thought...
Posted by: Evie

Re: My dogs, my house, my Dad, my family, my friends and my computer... - 09/07/03 02:06 AM

I was just reading through all the eyes and thinking probably the most important thing my Dad has taught me is to never give up. He has always kept going, even when he first got sick when I was growing up and had to change jobs and careers a few times to support his family. Despite all his setbacks he has never been bitter.

Now I find it hard to watch him struggle, his arthritis just seems to be getting worse and I think he is going to be in for a rough winter this year (sigh).

This is perhaps one of the harder things about growing up - watching your parents get older [Frown]

Re: My dogs, my house, my Dad, my family, my friends and my computer... - 09/07/03 03:17 AM

Girls,
My heart goes out to you all. Everyone it seems faces the time when WE become the parent, they the child. Micki, I wish I had some magic potion for your Dad. I did put myself in his place and wonder how I would feel. What choice would I make? I think I would feel as he does, and choose quality over side effects but the truth of the matter is, who knows? I just know I feel so much for you all. You are not alone. You and your Dad will be in my prayers.

On the up side, it is so rewarding to hear everyone speak of their parents with tenderness and love. Honor thy Mother and thy Father is truly alive and well on this forum. God bless

Re: My dogs, my house, my Dad, my family, my friends and my computer... - 09/07/03 04:43 PM

Thanks, jaw-jaw. I appreciate your response.

I lost my husband to colon cancer after a 5 year battle, and after watching it, I swore that if I ever got that terrible news we got that day regarding myself, I would take what I had left in time and do quality things, not spend time being sick from chemo and radiation.

My Mom died from organ failure after years of issues from congestive heart failure and it was a slow but painless death. My husband was not so lucky--it was a horrible, messy death and he fought all the way until the last second. He did not want to die. My Mom was ready and went rather peacefully--we had taken her off of all meds that would at that point prolong the dying process instead of lengthening life. She was not in any pain at all--wasn't even taking aspirin at that point--and just stopped breathing in the middle of the night after a small gasp. My father heard the gasp over the intercom we had installed and went in to find her gone.

Tim (my husband) was on three kinds of IV (one in his neck, one in his arm and one in his back) pain meds, was getting liquid haldol syrup dripped onto his lips every fifteen minutes and still was in extreme pain and fighting the end. We (his brothers, his sister and I all at the same time)were physically holding him in bed the entire last 6 hours of his life. I can honestly tell you that we are better to our animals than we are to ourselves. I know if it were I, I would have wanted to be put out of my misery. So, I can understand how my father feels, but I am on the other side of the issue and am just not ready to be a total orphan. I know that sounds selfish, but I just don't want to face losing what is left of my family.

I guess this being a grown-up just isn't what we were prepared for, huh? As middle-income boomers, we were shown a life of ease and comfort. I don't even remember anyone dying before my grandmother when I was 12, and then the next one I remember was my high-school class sponsor when we were in our junior year, and he rammed his car into a tree. Life was slow and easy and the most important thing was whether we had accessories to match our clothing. I want that time back....I am not really comfortable in today's lifestyle. All of the things that we took for granted have been out-dated, out-voted, and out-lawed in some way, shape or form. It's a real shame...and I can't even imagine what the three-prongers are going to have to face as we move into the next plane and they have to be the grown-ups.

Re: My dogs, my house, my Dad, my family, my friends and my computer... - 09/07/03 05:29 PM

Micki,
I read your post with a heavy heart. I can't even put into words how sorry I am that your husband died so horribly. One can only pray that he is enjoying himself to the fullest and doing the things he enjoys in heaven; without PAIN! I also understand your "selfishness" as you call it. I have watched a dozen or so men die at the VA but not before getting close to them and their families and knowing full well that my time in line was coming. I pray that God will grant me peace when that time comes.

As far as the 3-prong generation goes, I started to say they will have a shock to their system when they realize the world does not revolve around them, and can be cold. Then, on second thought, I thought about all the younger generation that I know that go on missionary trips, don't drink and drive, stop to chit chat with me at work, hold a door open for me at stores, and you know what? I think I will focus on all the ones that apparently, have good moral character and happy homes. Although it saddens me when I think of the things that have been taken away from us all, as you mentioned, but, on the other hand, we have been given a lot as well. Maybe...just maybe...it's the half full or half empty thing? I will keep you in my prayers and hope you find the peace you need or want. You just remember this kiddo, you have friends here and we will support you. That's a guarantee and comes straight from the Queen herself! Now...would I lie to you? Okay, don't answer that. But, if you ever need a shoulder, write me. I'm here. Along with dozens of other caring, loving women. Am I right girls?
Posted by: Maggie

Re: My dogs, my house, my Dad, my family, my friends and my computer... - 09/07/03 06:05 PM

I've read all these posts this morning with the tears flowing. All I can say is WOW!!! Its so nice to read that others feel the same way about their parents as I do. Yes, even though they are both gone there are reminders that make me laugh,
smile and cry.
Our son in so many ways is like my father and I keep tellimg him how. He loves it.
Miki, you will be in my prayers as will all of you who are struggling with what I think is one of the hardest times in our lives.
Love,
Maggie

Re: My dogs, my house, my Dad, my family, my friends and my computer... - 09/07/03 10:13 PM

My Mom has been gone since the end of 1998 and there isn't a day that goes by I don't pick up the telephone to call her. I am always talking to her and to Tim...I believe they are around me all the time.

I truly believe that there is a hereafter...my mother was talking to her parents in the weeks before she died and they had both been gone for years. We had a booklet (Gone From My Sight) given to us by the hospice volunteers after she died and every single thing it said she would do while she was dying, she had done. We were amazed!
I am anxious to "see" everyone there when it's my time. But, I believe that they are here with us all the time, protecting us and watching over us.
So, I know when my father does come upon his time, she and Tim and all the others will be waiting for him and helping him along.

I'm not sure why I am brooding about this. I usually am very upbeat no matter what the issue. When Tim was diagnosed, I needed to know everything about the disease and what would happen, and what we needed to do. He just wanted to not think about it. I guess I am just a bit too inquisitive for my own good and I think too much.

I turned 55 in August and my age has never bothered me, but this year I am really noticing the age of others that are winding down to the end of their lives. My Mom's aunt and 2 uncles are all three very ill with various things (She is 90 and has the same stuff my mother had and diabetes, her husband is 88 and has Aadvanced-stage Alzheimers', and the other uncle is 95, almost deaf and blind, has all the same heart stuff as Mom had plus emphysema. The two men are now in nursing homes.) and it is scary to see. I keep thinking, although I try not to, what will I do when it is my time for all that. There won't be anyone at all because I have no children and my husband and parents will be gone. Scary thoughts, huh?

Re: My dogs, my house, my Dad, my family, my friends and my computer... - 09/08/03 04:59 AM

Micki,
You certainly have burdens to bear. You have already had so much to deal with. I really feel for you dear.

Okay...so you don't have to worry about when your time for the home comes, here's the deal. Make sure you and I are in the same ward of the nursing home. More than likely, I'll still be cracking jokes and entertaining the other inmates. We can get matching wheelchairs, and wear funny hats! We can pretend we can sing and be the...um...Blooming Boomers! How's that?

I know you may think I am making light of your post. Trust me, anything but that. Please remember that life is meant to be enjoyed to the fullest, everyday. Try not to worry about tomorrow, next week, next year, or the year after. Enjoy today! After all, we are not promised tomorrow. Just NOW.

One thing I do when I get down is to make myself find at least three things I am grateful for. Three usually leads to five, five to ten and so forth and so on. Before I know it, I realize I am happy again and grateful for the NOW. Hey... you have a singing career to look forward to! There's 1 [Big Grin]

Re: My dogs, my house, my Dad, my family, my friends and my computer... - 09/08/03 03:19 PM

Micki, I am glad you are willing to share your thoughts and fears in here. We all have them and many of them are the same.

Even though I have a hubby, 3 children, 3 sissies and 1 bro, I could be the last one living and my kids could be out of state when the time comes. We never know what the future holds.

The older we get and the more we see our parents and their friends suffer, the more our own mortality is in our face.

I say let's get the boomerwomenspeak chapters going and maybe we can all check into a retirement community together!

Knowing your hubby, mom, and my mom are dancing the streets of heaven together puts a smile on my face. [Big Grin] Mom always loved your mom and Tim...and you too! Lots of laughs and fun memories.

And yes, I couldn't agree with you more. I was so oblivious to what life as an adult was like when I was a kid. Boy I am glad. It''s hard enough learning at this stage of the game!
Posted by: Maggie

Re: My dogs, my house, my Dad, my family, my friends and my computer... - 09/08/03 06:03 PM

Miki, I don't think your too inquisitive. When my father was dying I wanted to know what was going on, where he would be and why the good Lord was taking him at that time in my life. He died in 1987. I bought books about heaven even though I had grown up going to Church.
I too can feel them around me and yes, they do talk to us if we are willing to listen. I love that and am looking forward to being with the whole family again when the time comes.
Like Dotsie and Jawjaw have said its hard to face it now.
Maggie