Any Knitters Here?

Posted by: Joanj

Any Knitters Here? - 01/17/12 01:21 PM

I used to knit when I was younger and about 2-3 years ago decided to give it a try again. I've made scarves and hats for the kids and grandkids and quite a few baby blankets, as well as hats and scarves for my husband any myself.

Anybody else out there like to knit?
Posted by: yonuh

Re: Any Knitters Here? - 01/17/12 02:41 PM

I love to knit and crochet. I even taught myself tatting at one point. Haven't done any of it in a while, though. I found it relaxing. I keep saying I need to get back to it, but with the turmoil in my life over the last couple of years, it wasn't high on my priority list!
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: Any Knitters Here? - 01/17/12 02:57 PM

I love handcraft and both knitting and dressmaking.That includes sewing home items..On Sunday I made some tote bags..(from a waterproof fabric)and shortened some pants...so now I hope to sew some more and have browsed sewing patterns..and will go to the nearest fabric shop soon.I also enjoy felting and even as I type feel my fingers itching...to handcraft.All my elder ladies were craftswomen so I have seen others doing their creative work..I remember reading here on BWS about handcrafts...perhaps we should start again with a discussion.

Tatting ...? that is an art...somewhat like lace?but not.
Posted by: yonuh

Re: Any Knitters Here? - 01/18/12 02:03 AM

Yes, Mountain Ash, like lace, but not, describes it completely! :-0
It is sort of like crocheting, but with a shuttle. I'm not sure I could remember how to do it now without some sort of instruction. My grandmother was an amazing needle artist. She's the one that taught me knitting, crocheting, crewel, embroidery, tapestry, and smocking. I was never very good at dressmaking or any other sort of sewing. I remember Mom trying to teach me to darn, with that mushroom - anyone else remember those?
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: Any Knitters Here? - 01/18/12 09:10 AM

Ah yes...socks and darning.