Where are you from?

Posted by: karenelaine1977

Where are you from? - 09/09/05 02:19 AM

I live in Mississippi. Are there any other Mississippi gals? Where else is everyone from, if you don't mind me asking?

[ September 08, 2005, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: Happy Wife & Mom 9804 ]
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Where are you from? - 09/09/05 04:21 AM

Born and raised in Gary, Indiana where I lived until I was 25.

Married and moved to Chicago then McHenry and Arlington Heights, Illinois.

Moved to Loveland Colorado then back to Mc Henry, Ill. from there moved to Las Vegas, NV.

Moved to College Park Maryland for 3 years then back to Las Vegas, NV where I am today...

[ September 09, 2005, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]
Posted by: Eagle Heart

Re: Where are you from? - 09/09/05 06:37 AM

Born in Guelph, Ontario, Canada (because Georgetown didn't have a hospital)
Georgetown, ON
Palo Alto, California for one year
Picton, ON(my favourite place)
Belleville, Kingston, Ottawa
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Back to Ottawa.

Chatty, Music Man remains one of my all-time favourite musicals...and since my brother's name is Gary, I've always liked that song "Gary, Indiana".

[ September 09, 2005, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: Eagle Heart ]
Posted by: Sherri

Re: Where are you from? - 09/09/05 07:34 AM

Central Illinois, born and bred
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Where are you from? - 09/09/05 11:23 AM

Born New York City.
High school in Chicago.
1st year of college Columbia Missouri
next 97 years of college -- Columbus Ohio
First house Stillwater Oklahoma
Orange County California since 1980
ain't movin' anywhere else
Posted by: TVC15

Re: Where are you from? - 09/09/05 06:09 PM

Born Jersey City, NJ
Raised on Long Island where I lived up until about a year and a half ago
And now I'm in NC.
Posted by: Dianne

Re: Where are you from? - 09/09/05 06:30 PM

Born New Mexico.
Moved to Colorado
Moved to Arizona
Moved to California
Back to Arizona
Moved to Ohio
Now in Nashville.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Where are you from? - 09/10/05 07:23 AM

Born and bred military style (now civilian):
Born in Topeka, Kansas (tap those shoes!)
South Carolina
Oklahoma
Germany
Holland
Montana
New York
Colorado
Texas
Now settled in South Carolina.
(However, have a deep love for Oklahoma)
Posted by: Fiftyandfine

Re: Where are you from? - 09/09/05 10:42 PM

Born in Newfoundland (me and the CHICK!!!)
Moved to:
Montana
Japan
Texas
Phillipines
Colorado
Germany
Nevada
England
Spain (temporary)
Back to Vegas
Kansas
Missouri
Back to Denver
Now semi-retired in Florida, and I AIN'T MOVIN' AGAIN unless a hurricane takes my entire house!!!

Re: Where are you from? - 09/09/05 10:44 PM

Oops, I forgot to put China in my list. Goes after the last Denver, and before Florida semi-retirement [Roll Eyes]

Re: Where are you from? - 09/09/05 11:22 PM

Fiftyandfine,
Forgive me if I should know this and have forgotten, but have you shared here in the forums how you came to live such a geographically diverse life? Sounds fascinating and I'd love to know more...if you've already told all elsewhere in another forum, remind me where to go (but be kind) and I'll find your story there.

Re: Where are you from? - 09/10/05 12:29 AM

Hey Eagle,

I don't mind sharing one bit--especially since I'm supposed to be working on some things for my Master's program and I would rather procrastinate this afternoon. Actually, I think I shared some in the Introducing another FL gal thread in the Welcome section, but probably not my "geographical diversity." (How cool is that? You've just given me a whole new way of looking at myself!) [Smile]

It's actually not all that fascinating and is rather simple, really. I was born the daughter of a USAF officer and a Newfie. I made the rounds as a military brat before marrying a military man. Once that particular servitude was over, (not the military, it was the man)I moved around within the US out of a restlessness that lingered for a while. Met and married my current husband over twenty years ago. We pretty much stayed put in Colorado.
I spent time in China because my last formal employment was as a project manager for an international adoption agency. And I ended up in Florida because one of my kids is here, I like the weather (hurricanes excepted) and when we moved here last year, housing was still spectacularly cheap.(Our house value has almost doubled since last year. OH YEAH!)
And that, my dear, pretty much covers this geographically diverse gal!
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Where are you from? - 09/10/05 04:53 AM

This post reminds me of a modern day joke....

The teacher asks the class whats the name of our countrys capital?
Little Johnnie raised his hand and answered, Washington, D.C.
The teacher then asks, what does the D.C. stand for?
For a minute it was quiet then little Janie stood up and said; D.C. stands for dot com...

[ September 09, 2005, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]
Posted by: KAY B

Re: Where are you from? - 09/10/05 09:40 PM

Born in Roslyn, NY
Raised in Albertson, NY
Currently reside in Hicksville, NY

Woooooooohoooooooooooo! [Smile]
Posted by: Louisa

Re: Where are you from? - 09/10/05 10:47 PM

Always lived in New England. Don't want or plan to live anywhere else. But, I do spend 2 weeks a year in FL now and will most likely spend more time there when we retire. We moved around a lot when I was a kid, but it was mostly between 2 or 3 cities and not far from where I am now. I've never lived outside of MA but I spend a lot of time in NH and ME and once in a while CT. Used to vacation on Cape Cod years ago, but now we prefer to go north.
Louisa
Posted by: Sadie

Re: Where are you from? - 09/11/05 06:25 AM

Well, I am so boring . I have only lived in MD , but have traveled a lot in my lifetime . I have been to Maine, AZ , Texas , MO . Fl , NM, Boston, Mass, etc. Never been to Calf. Been to Mexico and Canada . New York State .

Still love to travel.
Posted by: Pam Kimmell

Re: Where are you from? - 09/11/05 04:21 PM

Born in Louisville, KY
Dad in the military so from there it was:
Levittown, NY
Weisbaden, Germany
Falls Church, VA
Selma, AL
Taipei, Taiwan
Annandale, VA (where my Dad retired)
Clearwater, FL
And finally BACK to Virginia for good!

Still have the "wanderlust" though - love to travel and have been all over the world.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Where are you from? - 09/11/05 05:57 PM

Born in Sheffield, AL
Lived in
Huntsville, AL
Birmingham, AL, then back to
Huntsville, AL
Athens, AL
Ardmore, AL, then back to
Athens, AL

JJ

Re: Where are you from? - 09/11/05 06:48 PM

So, I take it you like Alabama? Or are you just stuck there? [Razz]

Re: Where are you from? - 09/12/05 01:41 AM

I LOVE Alabama... (Queen breaks out into "My homeeeee's in Ala-baammmaaaa, Southernnn Bornnnn is...)

What?

Course, I AM stuck right now. My car is at the doctor's have surgery. Sigh...

JJ
Posted by: Whirlwind

Re: Where are you from? - 09/12/05 05:07 PM

Georgia born and raised here, and I've yet to live anywhere else.

That sounds SOOOO boring! When I was young I had the wanderlust, and if I'd left then it would have been easy. But marriage, then taking care of parents, intervened and the years rolled by.

Now I'm stuck because of my job, but when I can retire in just a few more years, no telling where I might end up!

Whirlwind
Posted by: Vicki M. Taylor

Re: Where are you from? - 09/12/05 08:26 PM

I was born in the upper peninsula of Michigan and lived in Muskegon, MI (on Lake Michigan) until I graduated from high school. I went into the Marines and spent boot camp in Parris Island, South Carolina. Afterwards, I was assigned to Twentynine Palms, California.

Met my first husband in the Marines, in CA, we married there and afterwards moved to Tucson, Arizona. We lived in Tucson for 7 years and moved to Phoenix for another 5 years.

I took a brief respite and moved to Nampa, Idaho and lived there for about 5 months. I took a vacation to Tampa, Florida. Liked it so much I decided to live here, and I've been here in Tampa, Florida now for over 10 years, remarried and can't imagine living anywhere else.
Posted by: Songbird

Re: Where are you from? - 09/13/05 03:10 AM

Well, my husband tells me I am from nowhere, ha ha!
I was born in NY, raised in Puerto Rico, moved to MA and been here since then. Married a central american guy 22 yrs. ago and I am not about to go live there any time soon, if you know what I mean. So I call MA my home away from home (P.R.).
Posted by: Daisygirl

Re: Where are you from? - 09/13/05 08:20 PM

I lived in a number of places when I was growing up. My dad wasn't in the military, but his company was a contracter for it. We started in Cincinnati, then moved to Los Angeles, Tampa, somewhere in PA, Spearfish, SD and then ended up in Dayton.

I also have traveled all over the country since my ex worked for an airline, and discovered many cities more exciting than Dayton, however my grandson is not living in any of them. I've thought about relocating for my job, but realized that wherever I lived, I would be living to come home to see my little guy and the rest of my family.

Daisygirl

I'm stuck, but it's by choice.
Posted by: katebcca

Re: Where are you from? - 09/14/05 09:27 AM

I was born in Toronto Ontario. Came out to the westcoast as a teenager and had to return although did not move out until my late 30's.
Moved to Victoria BC and don't think I
will move anywhere else but you never know.
I love living on an island but it doesn't feel like it until you have to take a ferry or plane to get off.
Kate
Posted by: yepthatsme2

Re: Where are you from? - 09/14/05 11:55 PM

Born in Biltmore North Carolina, no kin to the Vanderbilt's by the way.
Moved to Fresno, California at the age of 6. we moved several times back & forth across the country between N.Carolina & California (as much as we moved, I could have been a resident of any of those in-between states).
Age 18, back to Asheboro N.C., met my first husband (military)moved to Jacksonville, Fla., Warner Springs, Ca., Point Mugu, Ca.
Met 2nd husband, from Point Mugu, Ca. to San Diego, then on to Fredericksburg, Va.
Hubby wants to move to Texas, along with my eldest daughter...that would mean leaving the other 4 other (adult) children behind.
Don't think I can do that.

[Smile]
Posted by: NancyB

Re: Where are you from? - 09/16/05 07:03 AM

Here we go--I'm another "military brat" (USAF).

Born in Kansas City, Missouri
then
Elmandorf AFB Alaska
Washington DC (Dad at the Pentagon; lived in three different houses)
Denver CO
Clark Field, Philippines
Denver CO
Wright-Paterson AFB, Ohio (lived in Fairborn)
Amityville, L.I., NY (while Dad was AF liasion at Brooklyn Army Terminal)
McGuire AFB, New Jersey (lived in Mt. Holly, then Levittown, then on base housing)
Evreux-Fauville AFB, France (8th grade)
Dreux AFB (boarding school for 9th grade)
Chateauroux AFB, France (10th grade)
Dover AFB, Delaware (11th grade)
(Dad finally retired!)
Athens, GA (12th grade, UGA)
Macon, GA (first job post undergraduate school)
Athens, GA (graduate school....work...marriage...children)
Cornelia, GA (husband retired from UGA, took job at Piedmont College here)

Was so fortunate to have been able to go to high school in France! Love the quiet, pretty North Georgia mountains.

Re: Where are you from? - 09/16/05 06:26 AM

OMG!!! You lived in Amityville?!! My mom grew up in Farmingdale, NY. (next town over) It certainly isn't the same town you may remember!!!!

I'm a "world" traveler....
Ohio
Louisiana
Pa
Nebraska
NJ
the eastern seaboard to Florida!!

My co-worker used to tease me when I was going to Omaha...he'd tell customers that I was going on a really big trip!!! [Smile] I guess you had to be there!
Posted by: chickadee

Re: Where are you from? - 09/16/05 04:59 PM

I was born in Newfoundland Canada, moved to Ontario, then back to Newfoundland. Moved to Alabama when I found my Dad, met My other half and moved to Oklahoma where I patiently await to root in Tennessee.
chick
Posted by: Sera

Re: Where are you from? - 09/17/05 02:17 AM

Hello ladies! Born in Connecticut, lived briefly in Texas with my ex-husband, then moved back to Connecticut again. We have a summer place in Vermont (small), so we spend lots and lots of time there, but that's about it! I would dearly LOVE to travel the world, but, alas, finances decree otherwise! [Frown] Maybe someday! Blessings...S.
Posted by: Debra

Re: Where are you from? - 09/23/05 07:18 AM

Born and raised city girl from Clevland Ohio. Lived here all my life. My husband and I still live in the same little house for 26 years now. Nope, guess we're not moving! Wow, some of you have lived all over the world! How interesting!

Re: Where are you from? - 09/23/05 07:26 AM

Fiftyandfine and Chick---where in Newfoundland are you from? Met a wonderful friend on the interenet from St. John's Newfoundland, 2 and a half years ago. I have visited her and her family 3 times since 2003. My longest stay was 3 weeks. was just there this past May for a couple of weeks--got fogged in, so I had an extra couple of days as well! I LOVE it there! She and her family will be visiting me next summer--their first time to the states. Can't wait!

Re: Where are you from? - 09/22/05 08:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Debra:
Fiftyandfine and Chick---where in Newfoundland are you from? Met a wonderful friend on the interenet from St. John's Newfoundland, 2 and a half years ago.

Debra, I'm not Fiftyandfine or Chick (but I left the quote on top so they'll see it), but I couldn't ignore this. My Mom was born and raised in St John's Newfoundland. I've been twice, when I was five and then in 1979 when I was hitch-hiking through Newfoundland and Nova Scotia. I loved Newfoundland, especially St John's and Brigus, which is where my Mom spent her summers.

I always feel a little closer to my Mom (she died 4 years ago) when someone here mentions her beloved Newfoundland...
Posted by: Bluebird

Re: Where are you from? - 09/22/05 09:18 PM

Songbird (love that name!!)- where in NY were you born?
I was born in the Bronx, moved to Nanuet, then Valley Cottage, then Pomona, then New City, then Campbell Hall (all in NY). That all took me 45 1/2 years! Now I live in Pagosa Springs, CO. It is a beautiful place and I would never go back east.

Re: Where are you from? - 09/22/05 09:25 PM

Reading all of the places everyone has lived blows my mind. (COURSE...blowing my nose could accomplish the same thing.) Ahem.. anyway, have you ever stopped and thought about all of the beautiful places there are to visit that we'll never get to see? Like the town Western Bluebird just mentioned, Valley Cottage...I would love to see what that towns about, wouldn't you? The name is inviting. Or Newfoundland..oh my...and on and on. I think traveling and meeting other people across this beautiful world of ours would be the best experience one could have...

I've really tried to have a new experience every year when I take a vacation and see something I've never seen before. You? Maybe this should be in a separate thread, eh?

Just wanted to comment... Western BB gave me a wonderful visual.

JJ

Re: Where are you from? - 09/22/05 09:44 PM

Eagle Heart, thanks for responding. Did you ever see the movie or read the book, "The Shipping News"? It's about life in Newfoundland, very enchanting! You would appreciate it, I'm sure. The next time I go there, I'll be going on the whale boat tour. I am already an "honorary Newf", a little ceremony they do for anyone who wants to be. Ever heard of Screech?

Re: Where are you from? - 09/22/05 09:47 PM

Yes, I've heard of Screech. I was never screeched, but my hubby has been. Did you actually kiss the cod?

I've heard of "The Shipping News", but for some reason, never got around to watching it. It's one of those movies we always plan to watch, but never do.

Re: Where are you from? - 09/22/05 10:11 PM

JawJaw - Hate to disappoint you, but Valley Cottage is not a quaint, pretty, little town as the name might imply! Now Pagosa Springs, CO, which smells like sulphur, is a beautiful town!
If you ever want to travel here, I would love to show you around!

Re: Where are you from? - 09/23/05 12:56 AM

Hey Debra/Eagle/Chick,

Small world isn't it? I was actually born in Stephenville Crossings, NL (I have a hard time writing that abbreviation--grew up with Nfld) and I lived in/visited for extended periods of time: St. Anthony, Main Brook, Corner Brook, St. John's, Gander, and Burgeo. Long story, but we never really had anything to do with my mom's family back in NL, and after leaving as a preschooler, I only visited once more as a pre-teen. Then, last year I was hell bent on a search for some answers to questions that had plagued me all my life. So I went back and visited on my own.
It was a time with some wonderful relatives that I hadn't even known existed! In fact, I was in a tiny grocery store in Springdale, and I saw a woman point at me and say, "Who's that then?" Her friend answered, "Oh, that's Lizzy's sister's daughter's daughter." And armed with that information, the first woman walked right up to me with tears in her eyes, CALLED ME BY NAME, and announced that we were related! Seems my grandma and her grandma were sisters. And she knew all about me, even if I'd never heard of her. It was like that everywhere I went. It was the first time in my life I gained a real sense of where I came from, who I am, and where I belong. Truly, that trip was one of the best things I ever did for myself. I'm going for another extended visit (a month) in July/Aug next year and I can hardly wait!
Oh yeah, and WB, I've been to Pagosa Springs (used to live in Evergreen and then Pine, CO) and it IS a lovely little town!

Fifty
Posted by: Itza

Re: Where are you from? - 09/23/05 01:44 AM

I'm from the North East of England.
Posted by: 777shar

Re: Where are you from? - 09/23/05 01:59 AM

Daytona Beach, Florida has been my location for the last 25 years, in my first 21 it was Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania --then a few years each in West Virginia and South Carolina--USA

Re: Where are you from? - 09/23/05 02:38 AM

Fiftyandfine, During my stay in Brigus (near St John's) in the summer of 1979, I had lots of time to explore the area. I spent a whole day browsing through my Mom's family cemetary and was able to trace my Bartlett/Thompson ancestors all the way back to the early 1600's! It was exciting and very uplifting. Because I hardly knew anything about my Mom's or Dad's family history, it was the first time in my life that I experienced any sense of rootedness.

Re: Where are you from? - 09/23/05 07:12 AM

Debra...fog, rock, screech, cod and all that goes with it...isn't is a great place with some down to earth folk? I am glad you had the pleasure of visiting.

Eagle, Brigus is only a few gun shots from Northern Bay. Fifty, I have cousins in Stephenville. I bet if we stating digging deep enough, we'd all end up related.

You have me homesick for that rocky old Isle. The ocean is calling me.
My ancestors on my Mom's side are Irish(Tipperary). Do you girls know your NF roots?

JJ, If you ever showed up in NF, I swear, they wouldn't let you leave(nor would you want to).
Newfoundlanders and Alabamians have many similarities. Southern hospitality and Down East hospitality is pretty well matched from my experience. I have been doubly blessed, I am a Southern-Down East Belle. [Big Grin]

Itza, tell us more about where you're from in England.

Shar, I simply love Florida...would retire there in a heartbeat but looks like I'm gonna be a Tennessee...root?

chick

Re: Where are you from? - 09/24/05 07:34 AM

Chick---yes! I always have such a great time there! Let's not forget the newfie humor! Love it! My friend goes to Stephenville to visit all her relatives there. Her dad's family is huge! Ever hear of the LaCosta's? I love the hometown cooking too---Jigg's dinner..mmmmmm....bluberry pudding...fish and brewis..ok, I'm hungry now!! [Big Grin]

Re: Where are you from? - 09/23/05 09:16 PM

Fifty - You've been to Pagosa??? Most people haven't even heard of it. My teens say it's in the middle of nowhere, but I think they all think that, no matter where they live.

Re: Where are you from? - 09/23/05 09:48 PM

Oooh, I LOVE fresh Newfie blueberry pudding! I stayed with my uncle in Brigus and he had enormous patches of blueberries right outside his back door. Blueberry pancakes, blueberry jam, blueberry pie, blueberry pudding.

My Mom's Bartlett side has been in Newfoundland for several generations, as far back as the 1600's. Before that, I think the ancestry might have been "Methodist Welsh", according to my Mom, but even she wasn't sure. Nobody ever talked about "BN" ("before Newfoundland"). The Rock was Home.

Mom's mother (Thompson) was born in Twillingate, and as far as I can tell, that side of the family had also lived in Newfoundland since the 1600's. Don't know the BN ancestry, probably English or Welsh...but definitely Methodist!
Posted by: Dahti Blanchard

Re: Where are you from? - 09/30/05 03:46 AM

Mrs. M-- Where in Washington state? And how did you get to Russia and how long are you there for?
I grew up in upstate New York on the Canadian border. I've stayed on the Canadian border almost ever since, but different coast. My then boyfriend (my husband long since) and I hopped on his motorcycle in 1973 and briefly went to L.A. On our trip up the coast we landed in Port Angeles, Wa where the bike promptly broke down. While he was fixing it he was offered a job and I decided to go back to college so we stayed there. Moved 60 miles away 3 years later to a lovely little coastal town and had our first child a few years after that. Then we moved to Duluth, Minnesota for a year while I was in college again (and had our 2nd baby there), then back to our little Washington town where we've lived happily in our log cabin we built in the woods ever since. The end. Or, since kids are now grown and flown off to college, the beginning. Again.

Dream of the Circle of Women
by Dahti Blanchard
published May 2004 by Spilled Candy Books
visit: www.dahtiblanchard.com

Re: Where are you from? - 09/30/05 03:56 AM

I think she meant Russia in a figurative way...

Re: Where are you from? - 09/30/05 04:05 AM

WB--You're right. I just realized that after I sent the post and read some others.

by Dahti Blanchard

Re: Where are you from? - 09/30/05 04:11 AM

Eagle,
My mother's parents owned the "Octagon Castle" which was apparently a pretty well known hotel in New Foundland until it burned a little after the turn of the 20th century. Have you ever heard of it?
My father's family lived in upstate NY where I grew up since the early 1700's and the family home that burned when I was 3 or 4 was an inn in the 1700 through 1800's.

by Dahti Blanchard

Re: Where are you from? - 09/30/05 04:33 AM

Dahti, I never heard of the "Octagon Castle". Do you know which part of Newfoundland it was in? St John's? My Mom probably would have known about it.

Re: Where are you from? - 09/30/05 06:43 AM

Eagle, It was in Paradise near St. John's. The Paradise town website has a little on it but they list the last owner as "Robert Farlow." It was actually my grandfather Aaron Fowlow. And of course, my grandmother, who didn't get mentioned at all, Anna Fowlow. She was one of my favorite people in the whole world and she told me a bit about the place.

by Dahti Blanchard
Posted by: mrs_madness

Re: Where are you from? - 09/30/05 01:07 PM

No I meant Russia as in Moscow. 2 years and I'm here for 2 more for sure. The land of millions of beautiful young girls. Generally I like it, but it's not an easy place to be. And no, I'm not Russian, I barely speak a little garbled Russian. The internet is my connection to sanity.

Re: Where are you from? - 09/30/05 06:00 PM

Dahti, I've been to Paradise. I don't remember too much about it, because I was on my way to somewhere else.

I wonder if you can contact the people in Paradise (maybe through the website) and set the record straight. They'd probably really appreciate the contact and historical background from the owner's granddaughter.

Re: Where are you from? - 09/30/05 06:54 PM

Mrs M...for real? You have to tell us about life there. I'm so curious. That's amazing. How did you end up there? Wow.

Re: Where are you from? - 10/01/05 07:17 AM

Wow, you really did mean Russia!! I thought you meant that you felt like you were in Siberia, or something.

Re: Where are you from? - 10/01/05 12:04 AM

I would love to see pictures. My sister lives in France and has the same problem with the language.
Posted by: Bookie

Re: Where are you from? - 10/02/05 05:08 AM

Utah born and raised
Seattle Washington 1 year (knew it was time to leave when because of traffic jams it took me 1/2 hour to get out of the grocery store parking lot!)
Portland, Oregon
San Felipe - Mexico
Back to Portland
Back to Mexico
Arizona
California
Back to Arizona (where I don't plan to stay)
Hopefully one day will be back in Portland.
Posted by: clydeskid

Re: Where are you from? - 10/02/05 09:36 AM

Michigan and Kansas--I really miss Kansas!
Posted by: Junebug

Re: Where are you from? - 10/02/05 10:07 PM

Texas bred, born, raised, raised children, started raising grandchildren - 47 yrs, Now Ohio 10 yrs. Don't get me wrong, I like Ohio, but my heart is in the Texas Panhandle, along with most of my family and friends. I am disable and do not drive, so I have never really had the chance to make real friends here. But I am OK! lol I have the phone and took a 33 day trip to Texas this summer to see family and friends. I got all I could handle, I mean I got a lot of time with them. LOL But I would rather be in Tx with them all! [Roll Eyes]
Posted by: Junebug

Re: Where are you from? - 10/02/05 10:21 PM

OOPS! So we are alike in cyber friends and the computer keep us sane. I live to go to the hairdresser! LOL Or my breast cancer support group once a month! The Christmas parties, which they have cut down to 2 a yr, the silly budget or something such where my husband works. LOL Church when my health holds out. Winter is very hard on me! I never go anywhere, unless nmy husband can take me. Try shopping blissfully like women do with a man! LOL [Mad] Sorry, I should not be complaining. Others have it much worse than I do! And, my husband never grumbles when he has to take me somewhere, he just does not shop like a woman! LOL If I say that would look good on so and so, he thinks I want to buy it and comes back with, we are not shoping for them. [Roll Eyes] LOL Or if I say that is cute or a nice color, he immediately thinks I want to buy it. I can't just chat about clothes.
When he wants to buy something, he goes to the department it is in, looks for a few moments, might try on a few, is ready with his purchases, and pays and goes! [Confused] LOL Understanding each others ways! LOLOL
Posted by: The Power of Addicted Lov

Re: Where are you from? - 10/03/05 05:45 AM

Born in Michigan
Moved to Arizona (age 9)
Moved to Binghamton New York (age 20)
Moved to Arizona (age 25)

Still live under the Arizona Sun 16 years later.
Posted by: GeminiCat526

Re: Where are you from? - 10/30/05 07:40 AM

Any Long Island New York women? Love to hear from you..My name is Karen.I am 51 and married, no kids, 4 cats
Posted by: vseymore

Re: Where are you from? - 10/31/05 09:14 AM

HEllo,

I grew up in the military, dad was an officer in the Marine Corps. Born in Berkley, CA
Yakoska, Japan
Washington ,D.C.
Albany, Ga
Atlanta, Ga
Washington , D.C. Again
Vista, CA
Jacksonville, NC
Witchita Falls, Tx
Houston, Tx
Redding, CA
Anderson, CA
Happy Valley, CA
Hilo, Ha
Redding, CA
Shasta Lake, CA
Redding, CA
I'v been in this house for over ten years. Thats a record for me. I actually love moving find it exhausting and challenging and exciting. But I don't really want to do it anymore.bye
Posted by: CrosstitchQueen

Re: Where are you from? - 10/31/05 05:29 PM

Hi all --

Born in Elizabeth, New Jersey. lived there til I was 16.
Moved to Casselberry, Florida, stayed there til I was 24......moved to Birmingham, Alabama, for 2 years.
Moved back to Florida. Been here ever since.....except for summers which we spend at our place in upstate New York (Horseheads)......

love it here in the Sunshine State except for the hurricanes!!

[ October 31, 2005, 09:29 AM: Message edited by: CrosstitchQueen ]
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Where are you from? - 10/31/05 06:37 PM

gemini, look at the very top of the page on the right side and you will see directory. IF you go there and type in Long Island, you should be able to see who else is from there. Or you could just type New York. See if it helps.

vseymore, thanks for posting. Welcome. HOpe you'll stick around and let us get to know you better. I have never been to California. Urg.

cross, I think I'd like living in Florida too. I like summer much more than winter.

Re: Where are you from? - 10/31/05 06:57 PM

You have never been to California! [Confused] [Eek!] Unbelievable!

Re: Where are you from? - 10/31/05 11:44 PM

I've never been to California either! [Smile]
I have only been to the following places:
NJ
PA
LA (Louisiana!)
OH
NE
GA
......I think that's about it for this world traveler! [Smile]
Posted by: Itza

Re: Where are you from? - 11/06/05 10:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by chickadee:

Itza, tell us more about where you're from in England.

chick

I live in the North East of England whose industry is chemical (it literally stinks here) but there is nice countryside around! Job prospects are few here, in fact, if you want to get on career-wise, you're better off moving south but if you don't mind living on the breadline, then here is just fine.

We've got a nice town centre with many shops so I like it.

Here's some websites which tell you a bit more about the area I live...

http://www.middlesbrough.gov.uk/main.asp?
http://icteesside.icnetwork.co.uk/ (our local newspaper online)
http://www.tfmradio.co.uk/ (our local radio station)
Posted by: AvalonBlondi

Re: Where are you from? - 11/10/05 06:37 AM

Hi Everyone..it is so interesting to hear about where you all live now and have lived earier in your lives..I was born and raised in Philadelphia PA and then we moved to Pittsburgh PA when I was 13..back to Philly right after i graduated from HS..fortunately I met my husband in college and we have lived in the suburbs of Philly ever since..I also spend lots of time in my beach house on the New Jersey Shore...it's really my heaven on earth... [Smile]

Re: Where are you from? - 11/17/05 05:40 AM

Thank you for the links Itza.

Here's my moves:
Newfoundland -born raised
Ontario
Newfoundland
Alabama
Tennessee
Alabama
Oklahoma

Im want to be in Tennesse the most.
Posted by: Debra Kemp

Re: Where are you from? - 12/19/05 09:49 AM

Born and grew up in Highland, IN (near Gary)

-married--hubbie joined USAF
-lived 8 years in Bossier City, Louisiana
-one year in England
-4 years in UP of Michigan
-11 years in Rapid City, South Dakota
-this summer we came nearly full circle and moved to Indianapolis, IN (back in Hoosier-land at least!)
Posted by: Di

Re: Where are you from? - 12/20/05 08:55 AM

Born in Jersey City, NJ (hey, TVC15!!)
Moved to Pocono Mts, PA
Back to Bayonne, NJ
To Avenel, NJ
To Southern NM for 18 years now. (LOVE IT!)
Posted by: Di

Re: Where are you from? - 12/19/05 09:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dianne:
Born New Mexico.

Where, Dianne??
Posted by: ladybug

Re: Where are you from? - 12/21/05 04:34 AM

Born and raised in Ohio where I live now and probably always will. This is truly my home and I love it here.
Posted by: NHJackie

Re: Where are you from? - 12/22/05 08:11 AM

Don't think I answered this earlier.

Born in Boston, MA and lived in that area for many years.

Moved to NH 29 years ago and have lived in the same town ever since. Which makes me a born and bred New England gal.
Posted by: Thistle Cove Farm

Re: Where are you from? - 12/25/05 05:14 AM

Appalachian Mountains, Southwest VA.

Southern by birth, Virginian by the grace of God.
Posted by: Vi

Re: Where are you from? - 12/25/05 09:55 AM

Born and raised in Oregon.
Grew up on a small farm near Coos Bay.
Lived in the Portland area from age 18 - 26.
Finished college at OSU in Corvallis.
Moved back to Coos Bay for my first job after college.
Lived 6 years in the Cascade range outside of Portland.
In 1991 I moved to Coast Range near Elkton, and have been here since then.

[ December 25, 2005, 01:56 AM: Message edited by: Vi ]
Posted by: Sandpiper

Re: Where are you from? - 01/11/06 08:08 AM

Thought I'd go ahead and post here. Didn't see it before.

I was born in northern Illinois and mainly raised there with a couple of short times in New Mexico and California as a small child.

Then met and married my husband and we (during his military time) lived in Maryland, Virginia and Florida.

We then moved back to Illinois for several years and then back to Florida a short time and then 19 years ago made Central Florida (Kissimmee) our permanent home. Love it here and woldn't think of ever moving back to the cold and gray days.

Sandpiper
Posted by: storylady

Re: Where are you from? - 01/11/06 12:03 AM

Hi Everyone,
I live on the border of Ohio and West Virginia.I work in Ohio. I live 45 min. from any city over 5000 People In any direction but west and that big city is 2 hours away.
I also Live in the city that made the Mothman famous! Anyone see that Picture with Richard Gere? Yep It was supposed to have happened here. Go here for more info
http://www.prairieghosts.com/moth.html
http://www.mothmanlives.com/indexFRAME.html
I was born at Fitzsimmons Army Base Hospital in Auroura Colorado.Moved to Ohio,
West Virgina,
Georgia,
Ohio,
West Virgina
I have found no matter where you may live it is the same just more or less to go see and do.
Posted by: storylady

Re: Where are you from? - 01/11/06 12:05 AM

Humm, Guess I can not Spell the State I live in correctly. West Virginia! Sorry
storylady
Posted by: Prill

Re: Where are you from? - 01/11/06 05:22 AM

I love finding out where everyone lives!

suzieq--

I was born in Greenwich Village, NYC, but moved to Old Greenwich, CT as a baby. Lived there from '54 - '62. Then moved to Westport, CT and stayed until I was 18. For the next two decades I lived all over the country--Clinton, NY; Boston, MA; Denver, CO; Newton Highlands, MA; Atlanta, GA; and Vienna, VA. I moved back to Westport in '95. When did you live in Stamford?

storylady--

My mom grew up in New Martinsville, WV on the Ohio River. Do you know where that it? She has great stories of growing up there.

Prill
Posted by: Louisa

Re: Where are you from? - 01/11/06 07:40 AM

I'm a New Englander too NHJackie. Mostly on the North Shore near Boston, except for 2 few years in the early 60s when I lived in Haverhill, MA, the town my dad was from.

Louisa
Posted by: Searcher

Re: Where are you from? - 01/11/06 08:11 AM

my, my,

we are a diverse group are we not? I grew up on the Fox River in Batavia, Ill. about 40 west of Chicago. When 40 miles meant cornfields in between. Small town, where we ice-skated the winters away.

30some years later, I moved to North Dakota and spent another 18 years there. Now am in Boise, Idaho....Wonder where I'll be next?

Search

Re: Where are you from? - 01/11/06 06:30 PM

Searcher -- I grew up in the Rock Falls, Sterling, Dixon area further west of Chicago. I think about 80 miles west.

I had cousins that lived in Batavia for years. We used to go visit them a lot. I remember going to the Fox River in Batavia. It's a nice town. But cold in Illinois.

I moved here to Kissimmee, Florida about 19 years ago and still love it. I never went back to Illinois in the winter except for when my parents passed on. Both in January 2 years apart. The temperature was in the teens and 20's both times and snow on the ground. I was glad to leave. It makes me know just why I live in Florida. I hate the cold and snow and gray skies.

How do you like Boise, Idaho. I've never been there. Do you ever get back to Batavia?

Sandpiper

Re: Where are you from? - 01/11/06 06:41 PM

Sandpiper - When did you visit Batavia, during what years? Big chance I might know your cousins....

Boise is nice. It isn't so cold here, but does stay hot in the summer. This is high desert, so is pretty dry - sagebrush and such. Of course in the cities, there's grass and lots of trees. But the mountains are visible and can be reached in 15 min. There's plenty of snow there!

No, my parents are both gone now, and my sister and brother and families are scattered.....But my parents are buried there - so will go back occasionally. I still have friends in th area, tho'.

Searcher

Re: Where are you from? - 01/11/06 11:25 PM

Searcher - My cousins have lived around the Chicago area their entire lives. Matter of fact, their mother grew up in Batavia I think.

I think it was in the 70's maybe that they lived there. Their last name is Stees. Their mother's maiden name was Runyon I think.

They lived in Geneva, St. Charles, Naperville, West Chicago, Batavia and Aurora. I believe some of them still live in that area. One cousin lives in Shaumburg. Another is maybe in Aurora or Geneva. Don't know for sure. It is a family of 10 children. Both their parents are gone and so they are now moving from the area a little at a time.

Glad you like Boise. Never been there. I need lots of sunshine. Can't take the gray days and cloudy weather, so Florida is good for me. My twin and I are the only siblings from our family that have moved from northern Illinois. Other than that I have two nephews that moved away. Guess my family is mostly a stay put type.

Thanks for asking.
Sandpiper

Re: Where are you from? - 01/12/06 12:11 AM

Sandpiper - I'll send you a pm, so as not to hog the thread. Search
Posted by: Sandi

Re: Where are you from? - 03/14/06 06:28 AM

Born:
Carlstadt, NJ
High School: Paterson NJ
Lived while married Clifton NJ
Then, out of the cold to Sunny Florida
Posted by: Princess Lenora

Re: Where are you from? - 03/14/06 07:49 AM

Well, I was born in Passaic NJ. Then I spent my first 18 years living half time in NJ and half time in PA. At 18 I moved to AZ where I lived to age 30. Then I moved to CA where I lived for 10 years, then to Kansa for 10 years then to Missouri for 6 years and now in Colorado for 1 years. Oh, we had minor stops in between, like Dallas and Denver, but if they were less than six months they don't count. I consider my home here in Co Springs. I waited since 1972 to get here. But my family's place in the Poconos is where I feel that I've gone "home" again. Some people claim I'm from Mars.
Posted by: pepper

Re: Where are you from? - 03/14/06 10:31 PM

Lynnie
You may be from Mars and I am from JUPITER....
I did alot of moving as well....from 1 house or apartment to another...went all the way north to Maine then all the way South to Florida. I have been here since 1998.....I go 'home' as well to NJ to see my son...I miss him very much and I don't get to see to much of him...
I can say we are both pros on moving!!
KaseyC
Posted by: flossie

Re: Where are you from? - 03/15/06 12:26 AM

Wow, some of you have moved around alot.

I was born in Palmerston North NZ, and I still live near PN even to this day. 15 minutes away in the rural area.

I have lived in Auckland NZ and Sydney Australia for a while in my younger days. But it seems I'm stuck living near my home town now.

I've been to your beautiful country for a couple of trips but only to Los Angeles, Manhattan NY, and Las Vegas, would love to see heaps more of it one day!

Re: Where are you from? - 03/18/06 06:13 AM

Louisa: where do you spend your vacation in Florida? I live in "vacation town" !!! Jupiter, Florida!!

Re: Where are you from? - 03/18/06 06:15 AM

Lynnie: No wonder your aunties couldn't find you for 30+ years!!!
Posted by: Princess Lenora

Re: Where are you from? - 03/18/06 10:40 AM

Yes, I know Sandi, I moved around so much. I did not even mention the moves in between. For example, in AZ I lived in Phoenix, Tempe, Mesa, Chandler & Glendale. And in Mesa I lived in 5 apartment complexes. In one apartment complex I lived in 5 different apartments. One was too sunny, then one was too noisy, then I got a roomate, then the roomate failed to pay the rent, then I got a boyfriend, then I married him and we moved to California. On and On, moving on. But I aint budging from Colorado!
Posted by: Lynn

Re: Where are you from? - 03/19/06 04:09 AM

I was born in Maryland, educated in Maryland
Went ot sea and traveled quite a bit on the atlantic, Gulf of Mexico and Caribean.
Moved to Key West, Fl
Moved to rural Maryland
Now live in PA.

Looking to head south at some point.

Re: Where are you from? - 03/19/06 07:19 PM

Lynnie: you mean there's no hope for you moving to Florida???????????
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Where are you from? - 03/22/06 12:19 AM

Patty, where in MD were you born and what part of rural MD did you live?

I was born in Bawdemore hon and now I live in Towson.