Saying "YES" to offers of help!

Posted by: Dotsie

Saying "YES" to offers of help! - 02/02/03 03:41 PM

Several years ago after being in a car accident I had to let family and friends help me take care of my family. [Frown] I had been humbled and had to realize that I couldn't "do it all".

I didn't like the feeling! At the time I was a full time homemaker and took my job... oh so seriously. I mean come on, taking care of my family was what I did for a living!

Don't you know that in the midst of what I considered a tragedy I learned a lesson.

It was okay to let others help me. In fact...it was a healthy thing to do.

I don't know where I ever got the idea that I had to do it all and receiving help from others meant that I was weak.

I mention this because last night we kept our friend's three children so they could have a night out on the town. They said "yes" and allowed us a night to step back and do some things we hadn't done in a few years because their children are a little younger than ours.

I go to watch one of them play basketball in a gynm that I watched my son play in several years back and it felt so good! I got to carry a little one down the steps in my house, something else I hadn't done in many years.

My message is ladies...it's okay to let someone else help us out...we are not only giving ourselves a break...we are allowing others the opportunity to do something nice for someone else. Everyone is a winner!
Posted by: Candice Johnson

Re: Saying "YES" to offers of help! - 03/12/03 04:57 AM

I was re-reading some of the old post that hadn't gotten responses and came across this one. The thing is, I don't like asking for help. Even with my own husband I feel like if I ask, then they feel obligated to say yes. I think I feel this way because most of the pople I know are the type that can never say no. I just don't feel right asking. It's not that I feel weak as much as I feel like I shouldn't burden someone else. Is this crazy?
Posted by: Kathryn

Re: Saying "YES" to offers of help! - 03/12/03 04:19 PM

In the past two weeks I have discovered that I can ask for help and it does not diminish me as a person. I don't know if it's pride or lack of faith and trust....but I never asked. I finally asked for lots of help from lots of people and was amazed and astonished that everyone was there for me, including my kids. It was a wonderful feeling.

And speaking of asking for help....I think it is time to seriously start planning a boomerwomen gathering. Anyone interested start posting. I'll even start scoping out venues. What do you say?