Luddite-things not tried yet by 50 yrs.

Posted by: orchid

Luddite-things not tried yet by 50 yrs. - 11/09/08 02:57 AM

I'm abit of luddite..In addition to not driving and getting around only by walking, public transportation and cycling, I haven't had the following so far in my tender 49 yrs. of life.. By 50 early next year, I still wouldn't have had:

*a facial
*pedicure, manicure --paying for this
*spa visit (but I go to whirlpools occasionally)
*colouring or bleaching my hair. You heard it...I have...never..tried..this..yet.
*douche (I will never do this. The body has its natural cleaning system.)
*haven't tried antiperspirant (maybe I should.)
* bubble bath. (frankly this is abit late for me to try. I dislike cleaning the bathtub. Daily showers are tops!)
*done deep frying at home. (I probably never will. I'm not that keen on deep fried foods. Will eat occasional donut.)
*roast a whole chicken/roast beef/pork roast. The whole bird cooking treatment. (my rationale: so many other good, easier and just as fancy dishes to try that don't take as long!)
*have a pet, other than a goldfish (latter was when I was a child. The fish died in 7 days.). Really we're not motivated. He had dogs in his life for 45 yrs. of his life but now our lifestyle doesn't quite accommodate care of dog/cat and his allergies to dog hair have increased with time.
Posted by: Princess Lenora

Re: Luddite-things not tried yet by 50 yrs. - 11/09/08 04:39 PM

Hi Orchid, let's see what we have in common on this list. I've never had a professional manicure or pedicure. Never roasted a chicken, or any meat. Never fried anything (don't eat fried foods) I will never douche. (how did you think of that one?) I've had one facial at an Aveda spa/salon, a few massages, and never changed my hair color. I would like more spa/salon services.
Posted by: humlan

Re: Luddite-things not tried yet by 50 yrs. - 11/09/08 05:41 PM

Ok..things in common.. grin

no facial, ped or manicure
no spa visit
yes..color and bleaching hair
douche..no! no!
tried antipresper..not much difference from anything else
bubblebath..OH YES!!! my passtime in need with good music on
no deep frying (not too healthy..and my tummy won´t take it
now)
roast a whole meat..yes! yes! 5 kids..3 of them elite
sportsmen/women (swimming/gymnastics)
pets..yes! dogs!(and fish) but not now. Hope to get a dog
again when I am pensioned.

What would I like to do that I haven´t done?? Travel more..start a site on the net..hmm.. smile

Re: Luddite-things not tried yet by 50 yrs. - 11/10/08 05:31 PM

It's interesting, Humlan, how we in the states say "when I am retired" and you say "when I am pensioned." I assume you mean the same thing as retired? My friend from Germany says women here are too concerned about douche and deoderant. Here is a brief dictionary definition of "Luddite" :
1. Any of a group of British workers who between 1811 and 1816 rioted and destroyed laborsaving textile machinery in the belief that such machinery would diminish employment.
2. One who opposes technical or technological change.

I'd never heard that word before. Orchid, I would never challenge your careful and accurate use of words. What say you about the use of this word? Very interesting choice!
Posted by: Edelweiss2

Re: Luddite-things not tried yet by 50 yrs. - 11/10/08 05:38 PM

Things I haven't done, that I would like to do::::

Take a ride in a balloon.
Oceon Cruise
Spend a few months in an orphange in a third world country, and help out.
Get more involved with Green peace
Make love by the beach... blush Did I say that?

Re: Luddite-things not tried yet by 50 yrs. - 11/11/08 04:25 AM

EW-- you would be good at an orphanage in a developing country.

As for the last one...better to get the sand off the beach blanket before... smile
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Luddite-things not tried yet by 50 yrs. - 11/11/08 06:14 AM

Orchid, most of your list applies to me except:
*several months back I tried to color my hair purple. Since it came out navy blue, does this count? And bleach -- NEVER.
*I do regularly use anti-perspirant.
*when I was 21, I had a cat for a few months until it ran away. As a child, I had an assortment of fish, birds and lizards.

I'll add to the never-did and never-wanted-to:
*smoked a cigarette
*injected recreational drugs
*drove under-the-influence
*surfed

And I wouldn't mind:
*a balloon ride
*sky-diving

I'm sure there are more for both lists, but right now I can't think of them.
Posted by: Edelweiss2

Re: Luddite-things not tried yet by 50 yrs. - 11/11/08 03:28 PM

lol, Orchid. You speaking from beach experience?

Quote:
"EW-- you would be good at an orphanage in a developing country."

Now that was a big compliment, Orchid. You have no idea how it did my soul good. Thank you. I majored in sociology, so that is where my heart is. Just recently I have been looking into an organization here; Clowns for Pediatrics. I think I could be a natural, but typical Germany; everything is overly organized. It means I have to go to a clown school. And then you are put on a set visiting schedule.
I would have to think about that.

Re: Luddite-things not tried yet by 50 yrs. - 11/11/08 04:42 PM

EW, incredibly one of the employers I worked for was a legal aid organization. Its executive director is a great lawyer and manager. He also is a clown and magician on the side! His personality is so unlawyer-like. The story goes when he first appeared for a job interview at this same organization as a lowly lawyer 2 decades ago, the receptionist mistakened him as one of the clients! laugh

Very gracious and always good-tempered.

Re: Luddite-things not tried yet by 50 yrs. - 11/11/08 04:47 PM

Ever thought of being a clown, fairy godmother for all the children hospital wards in your area, EW. You could drive around a magic caravan..from place to place to spread your fairydust happiness to them.

Hey meredith --geez, purple hair thoughts even now. You are one daring woman.

But like you I've never smoked, done recreational drugs either.

Re: Luddite-things not tried yet by 50 yrs. - 11/11/08 08:20 PM

Did my question about the word "luddite" get lost, or was it an offensive question? I love words, I do mental cuddles with words, and I savor the sound in my talk... I'd love to know about the choice of that word. It would be fun to have a "word of the day" or week.
Since this is not a confessional, I won't mention what I DID do in terms of drugs.
I've never been in a sauna (special in Sweden, I hear.)
I've never learned the languages I'd like to learn, German, Italian, Spanish
EW, you'd have to go to clown school here, too, plus get all kinds of ID clearances. Are you really who you say you are?
I've never had a vegetable garden.
I should have dyed my hair purple when it was growing back from chemo, but does it count I wore a purple knit cap? I wanted a tie-dye cap, but could not find one.
I've never kissed a frog.
Posted by: chickadee

Re: Luddite-things not tried yet by 50 yrs. - 11/11/08 09:03 PM

Frog kissing was my specialty...

Re: Luddite-things not tried yet by 50 yrs. - 11/11/08 09:23 PM

chick, just what I was envisioning...
Posted by: gims

Re: Luddite-things not tried yet by 50 yrs. - 11/11/08 09:24 PM

I don't think the answer came for the Luddite question. I was wondering what it meant in the context used... some of the things being listed aren't rebelling against anything acceptable today. We discussed "bucket lists" some time back. I guess this is meant to be the same thing. If so, my list from then applies here.

chick, if you ever find a frog like that, please let us know. Some of us might want to invest in your circus show.

Re: Luddite-things not tried yet by 50 yrs. - 11/11/08 09:30 PM

I was taking poetic license on the original meaning of luddite...to extend it to other non-technological things in life. smile

Princess: I agree, I also tend to cuddle with certain words. As a teenager I actually drew inspiration for poetry from my big Roget's Thesaurus. Wordplay with word imagery. Just fun.

Re: Luddite-things not tried yet by 50 yrs. - 11/11/08 09:31 PM

I just like the word. Some of the items Orchid mentioned in her first post are taken for granted in the cities and suburbs. In my area, when a builder begins a subdivision, there is now room for the community "spa" for pedicures, manicures, etc. And the pet market is hugs, always a pet store on every corner.
I've never grown my hair past my shoulders but I'm doing that now. It will take 2 years, then locks of love. Some of us have shared some good hair stories.
I've never eaten bison or venison.

Re: Luddite-things not tried yet by 50 yrs. - 11/11/08 09:34 PM

EW, I believe the lawyer I mentioned, he also went to clown school.

My partner and I laughed over your comment that "everything in Germany is so organized".

Does clown certification for pediatrics, limit you just for children? I can imagine the golfing clown.. laugh

At least you could entertain the kids at minature golf at birthday parties.

Re: Luddite-things not tried yet by 50 yrs. - 11/11/08 09:39 PM

I occasionally eat venison sausage. We have it here at the market, a gourmet sausage maker. We buy bison from an Alberta rancher. yes, it's expensive so reserved for special times. But very lean. Just don't do it as a buffalo burger.

Other luddite things for me:
I never used a tampon..yep..and here I am going into perimenopause. Yea, well. Wouldn't you say that truly is skipping out on the Western women-rite of passage? laugh Over in another totally different forum, some women are enthusing over use of reusable menstrual cups. Maybe this is too much info..

This is a strange post..a melange of topics.

Re: Luddite-things not tried yet by 50 yrs. - 11/11/08 10:18 PM

Oh my gosh Orchid. I remember the day that I learned to use the dictionary. And oh happy day, I learned there is a thesaurus to go with! In love with words. I have not had anyone admit to not using tampons, in our generation at least.
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Luddite-things not tried yet by 50 yrs. - 11/11/08 10:48 PM

I knew the origin and etymology of this term, and figured Orchid was taking poetic license wink

Princess, #1 in your definition is the origin. #2 is the etymology -- it gradually meant anyone who opposed any technological advances; and then anyone who didn't participate (without actively opposing) the technology.

So from the strict definition, I'll add to my Luddite list:
*don't have a cell phone
*never used an ipod