Any "Downton" Watchers Here?

Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Any "Downton" Watchers Here? - 05/24/13 06:14 PM

I have recently started watching "Downton Abbey" via Amazon Prime. (The first two seasons are free right now, I am hoping season 3 will become free once season 4 starts up again on TV.)

While it's been years since the old "Upstairs Downstairs" series on PBS, this show certainly has some similarities. I've really been getting into it, so I'm curious as to whether anyone else here is a "Downton" fan.

Just read a post written by Dee Ernst, a friend of Sandy Nachlinger's, that any "Downton" fan will find interesting. It's titled "Behind Downton Abbey" and it's about the real life reason why, in the early 20th century, a lot of wealthy young American women looked to England for husbands. Check it out, you'll enjoy the read.
Posted by: yonuh

Re: Any "Downton" Watchers Here? - 05/25/13 03:07 PM

We got hooked when I was home with Steve after his surgery and are now waiting for Season 4. I hated how they ended Season 3, but it did leave some interesting possibilities and lots of questions! Season 4 won't air until Jan or Feb next year. :-(
Posted by: Cookie

Re: Any "Downton" Watchers Here? - 06/01/13 10:10 PM

We love Downton Abbey!! grin I can't wait for season 4, which unfortunately may not be until Jan 2014.It seems PBS doesn't want to air it until then in the US. frown We have already watched season 1, 2, and 3 twice already. We decided we might need to watch again before season 4 starts to refresh our old memories,lol.

Years ago, I watched the original, Upstairs Downstairs series, and enjoyed that very much also. But...I really didn't like the new series and cast members of Upstairs very well at all. I thought it ended oddly too.
Posted by: Di

Re: Any "Downton" Watchers Here? - 06/02/13 04:18 AM

Both myself and my husband are hooked. In fact, the past few days have been "Downton Abbey" marathons at our house. Watched all of season 1 and 2, approx 3 episodes a day! Next, season 3 which was where we started.

Glad to now have background of it all.

Ready for season 4 to start NOW!!

Re: Any "Downton" Watchers Here? - 06/02/13 04:12 PM

Steve and I have just recently completed seasons 1 and 2. We'll probably launch season 3 tonight. I feel so "decadent," Di, when we watch 2 or 3 episodes in one night. It's very satisfying to watch in big chunks like that -- and I imagine the people who has to watch each episode as it first aired -- and wait a week or two in between must have been so frustrated by that.

Re: Any "Downton" Watchers Here? - 06/02/13 09:15 PM

Yes, eager and sitting on the edge of our seat! Almost like when we all watched Dallas in the 70's!

Re: Any "Downton" Watchers Here? - 06/02/13 11:10 PM

I never enjoyed 'Upstairs, Downstairs' and I don't even remember why. But Downton Abbey pulled me in with the first episode. We'll probably watch the first 3 seasons again right before season 4 starts so we'll not forget what's happening.

Re: Any "Downton" Watchers Here? - 06/02/13 11:23 PM

Sounds like a plan - so much seems to happen in each episode. There are so many subplots in play...

Re: Any "Downton" Watchers Here? - 06/02/13 11:58 PM

Oh yes there are, Anne! They seem so "real" yet so filthy rich!!

Re: Any "Downton" Watchers Here? - 06/03/13 12:48 AM

I read that the actress who played Miss O'Brien won't be coming back in season 4 also. I really hated it when sybill died frown She was such a sweet girl. But just like the actor who played matthew, they were getting alot of offers to do movies now, and wanted to explore them.

Re: Any "Downton" Watchers Here? - 06/03/13 12:52 PM

They sure have us on the edge of our seats. Almost done with Season 3 again.

This really is the BEST TV I've seen in a long time!

Re: Any "Downton" Watchers Here? - 06/03/13 04:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Di
They sure have us on the edge of our seats. Almost done with Season 3 again.

This really is the BEST TV I've seen in a long time!

I agree Di!! Downton Is one of the best TV shows I have seen in a long time. smile Most other TV shows on tv are awful anymore. I really dislike all the reality shows that are on TV too. I cancelled my cable years ago because I simply don't watch much TV at all.

Re: Any "Downton" Watchers Here? - 06/03/13 11:43 PM

Ditto, Cookie. Strongly dislike commercials, too.

"TV" is not what it used to be.

Re: Any "Downton" Watchers Here? - 06/04/13 02:34 AM

I have little use for the reality TV shows. Don't even care that much about the various dancing/talent shows, though I suspect the networks like them because they are fairly cheap to produce.

That's the thing about Downton -- I doubt it is a low budget production...

As for commercials -- I've gotten to the point where I record my shows so I can watch them on my schedule. This also means I can fast forward through commercials...

Re: Any "Downton" Watchers Here? - 06/05/13 12:24 AM

There is no 'reality' in these so-called reality shows. It's all contrived, and we don't see what goes on that ends up on the cutting-room floor. I would love to watch dancing and talent shows, but those are ruined by either the MC or the panel of judges. So it comes down to a couple of PBS productions and a couple of sitcoms on network TV. We don't have cable because I don't see the point in paying for TV to watch commercials. I have an Amazon Prime membership so we stream shows and movies that we want to watch from there. And we pick up DVDs and Blu-ray movies and shows from either Costco or our local Entertainment Exchange. There are some great shows on PBS that are on too late for us, and we have no way of recording them right now.

Re: Any "Downton" Watchers Here? - 06/05/13 01:05 AM

We have always liked to watch PBS shows, even in our youth. We record almost everything we want to watch. That way we can watch it when we have time and zap through all the commercials. We have a DTV PAL DVR recorder that is pretty old. It is like a hard drive recorder. It works off the antenna, I think. confused My husband is the techie of the two of us, and knows all about electronic stuff. I don’t think they even make or support this particular recorder anymore. I don’t know what we will do when it craps out on us. We do Amazon streaming movies too. That works out well for us. cool
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: Any "Downton" Watchers Here? - 06/05/13 06:05 PM

TV made by the BBC are special when made for sale to overseas.There is a great input the costumes are authentic made from patterns from the era..locations are chosen well,

We pay licence fees to BBC but the profit from exporting Downton and Upstairs Downstairs..Lark Rise to Candleford etc is welcomed.

Re: Any "Downton" Watchers Here? - 12/08/13 08:48 PM

4 weeks until Downton Abbey returns!!! YAY! Finally, something good to watch again.

Re: Any "Downton" Watchers Here? - 12/08/13 11:37 PM

Cookie, I love "Downton." I have been missing the ability to watch shows of this caliber since it ended for the season.

And don't talk to me about the season ender. WHAT a downer!

Anyway, I have been receiving some respite while Downton is gone via watching Showtime's "Masters of Sex," about the pioneering work of Drs. Masters and Johnson and "Homeland."

Both -- while totally different -- are well-produced and well-acted and delightfully addictive.

Re: Any "Downton" Watchers Here? - 12/09/13 12:07 AM

I know, Anne! shocked I was so disappointed in the season ending. cry I liked Matthew. Susan Sarandon hosted a "Return to Downton Abbey" last week on PBS. It had some highlights of the previous shows, interviews with some of the cast, and a tiny teaser of what is to happen on season 4.

I don’t have cable so I haven’t seen the other shows. Maybe in the summer when there is nothing on TV we will rent them if they are available. Good shows are hard to find.

Re: Any "Downton" Watchers Here? - 12/10/13 05:30 AM

We bought Season 3 because we could watch Season 1 & 2 on Amazon Prime for free and got hooked. I think we'll have to watch them again before Season 4 starts to refresh our memories.
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: Any "Downton" Watchers Here? - 12/10/13 09:53 AM

New series is to be made...so many more to come Yonuh

Re: Any "Downton" Watchers Here? - 12/31/13 01:20 AM

Only 6 days until season 4 of Downton Abbey! grin

Re: Any "Downton" Watchers Here? - 12/31/13 04:30 AM

I'm a Downton watcher, Cookie. Can't wait to see what's next for Lady Mary, Sybil and all the rest of the crew!

Re: Any "Downton" Watchers Here? - 12/31/13 01:57 PM

We just finished watching the first 3 seasons so we can be up to speed before Sunday.

Re: Any "Downton" Watchers Here? - 01/03/14 07:31 PM

Two days to go. They replayed the last of Season 3 to recap last night.

Can't wait!!

Re: Any "Downton" Watchers Here? - 01/05/14 07:09 PM

Less than 8 hours to go. Can you tell I'm excited?? LOL

Re: Any "Downton" Watchers Here? - 01/05/14 08:25 PM

I can't wait neither!!!! I just hope the power don't go out with this blizzard we are having. I need my “Downton” fix. grin

Re: Any "Downton" Watchers Here? - 01/06/14 12:23 AM

Hope DH can stay up for it. 8 is his normal bedtime. But if not, it's just me!!

Re: Any "Downton" Watchers Here? - 01/06/14 06:36 AM

Well, we've watched it, and it was wonderful! Hope everyone else enjoyed it as much as I did.

Don't want to say more now, as I don't want to spoil anything for anyone who may have recorded the 2 hour episode and not yet viewed it.

Re: Any "Downton" Watchers Here? - 01/06/14 03:26 PM

Well worth the wait!! I've heard they're definitely doing Season 5, but that may be the last one. I will hate to see it end, but better it ends on their timetable than to fade away.

Re: Any "Downton" Watchers Here? - 01/06/14 04:31 PM

Glad O'Brien is gone. Did not like her character.

Not happy with the returning imp who came onto Tom in the past...Cora's new maid.

Happy to see Mary bouncing back!

And the nanny gone.....how horrible of her to abuse that little Sybil like that!

Re: Any "Downton" Watchers Here? - 01/07/14 05:59 PM

I thought the show was great! I'm glad that nanny got fired too! I don't like Cora's lady maid neither. She's a sneeky little wench.

Cora needs to get off the Lithium, or whatever she is taking,lol. Her character is too gullible. Anna would never ruin her garments and pretend someone else did it. Everyone knows that is Thomas’s MO. smirk

But---if we had a lovely show with no villains, tragedies, or catastrophes what fun would that be?! grin

Re: Any "Downton" Watchers Here? - 01/08/14 09:06 PM

I just saw this and had to share: Downton Abby Season 4 Episode 1 if it were to have taken place on Facebook: Downton Facebook recap

Enjoy!!

Anne

Re: Any "Downton" Watchers Here? - 02/16/14 02:53 PM

Is everyone enjoying Downton so far? I am. I wish it was a 2 hour show! The hour show goes by so quickly. How about that Rose---she is scandalous,lol!!! And poor Edith. She will be brand as a loose woman. frown I’m glad she didn’t go through with the abortion though. smile I think Mrs. Huges is going to “whack” that man servant for what he did to Anna….and I hope she does!! smirk grin

Re: Any "Downton" Watchers Here? - 02/16/14 03:04 PM

We look forward to it every week. Last week, when Bates looked at Gillingham's valet, towards the end of the show, I got shivers. I know Bates is going to do something! And yes, poor Edith. I keep hoping Michael will show up to save her. And speaking of Michael, what is he really doing in Germany? Why did he disappear? Rose is going to make everyone grey if she keeps it up. lol

Re: Any "Downton" Watchers Here? - 02/16/14 03:27 PM

quote=yonuh]We look forward to it every week. Last week, when Bates looked at Gillingham's valet, towards the end of the show, I got shivers. I know Bates is going to do something! And yes, poor Edith. I keep hoping Michael will show up to save her. And speaking of Michael, what is he really doing in Germany? Why did he disappear? Rose is going to make everyone grey if she keeps it up. lol [/quote]

Me too, Yonuh! I think Gillingham's valet made that remark on purpose to let Bates know. The Creep! He needs to be taken take out to the pig pen, and when it's time to castrate the the rest of pigs... whistle

As for Michael, I think he went to Germany to become a citzen so he could divorce his wife. I don't think he could legally divorce his wife in England while she was "nutty".

Re: Any "Downton" Watchers Here? - 02/17/14 04:29 AM

True, Cookie, that was Michael's original intent. But he has disappeared without a trace. Edith says he checked into his hotel, went out, and hasn't been seen since. So what is he up to? And now Gillingham's valet is dead. And Mary has more suitors than she wants. And next week is the season finale!!

Re: Any "Downton" Watchers Here? - 02/17/14 05:13 AM

Next week is the season finale! Don't tell me that!! It seems like this season just got started. Ow long will we have to wait for next season?

(I just got done watching this week's episode. We can't watch it live, we have to record it and watch it a couple of hours later.) Such intrigue this episode. Lady Mary continues to impress me.

Re: Any "Downton" Watchers Here? - 02/17/14 02:24 PM

Sorry, Anne! I was as shocked as you are that it's ending so soon. It looks like each season has 7 or 8 episodes. Way too few in my opinion!! Since this season started in January, I'm thinking we have to wait until January to watch next season.

Re: Any "Downton" Watchers Here? - 02/18/14 02:28 PM

The actors are making the BIG bucks so they are limiting their episodes. They get $ hungry I suppose. After all, it's STILL Hollywood! But in the UK may it's Golly Good!!

Re: Any "Downton" Watchers Here? - 02/18/14 03:01 PM

I think other BBC series' have limited episodes, too. Someone else I know was upset that the show he watched only had 3, so I feel lucky that DA has 8! But I think, and I don't know for sure, they don't necessarily show endless reruns as we have here, but new shows with limited runs?

Re: Any "Downton" Watchers Here? - 06/03/15 08:06 PM

For all of you who have been enjoying Downton Abbey over the years, I wanted to makes sure you are aware that over the next couple of years, many of the fashions of the show will be on display in about 6 museums around the US.

The exhibit is called "Dressing Downton." It's been at the Biltmore Estate, in North Carolina, and is scheduled to next arrive at the Paine Art Center and Gardens, in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, this June. The exhibit opens in Oshkosh in about 2 weeks - June 20th, 2015.

If you're unfamiliar with it, as I was, the Paine is, like the Biltmore Estate a very large "English Country home," also with beautiful gardens - except both exist in the US!

Next stop is Chicago, and the Driehaus Museum, which is also housed in an extraordinary mansion. Followed by the Taft Museum of Art in Cincinnati - again a beautiful mansion turned into a museum.

In fact, all of the selected museums are housed in what were once beautiful homes for our country's most financially elite families.

So the exhibitors are clearly trying to exhibit the clothing in a "suitable" venue.

I thought about trying to visit the exhibit at the Paine in Oshkosh this summer, but I think, I will wait to see it in Chicago next spring.

How about you? Anyone else interested in seeing this exhibit? I think the entrance fee is quite affordable, as the show is well-underwritten. The ticket in Oshkosh is just $14.