"Lie To Me"

Posted by: Saundra

"Lie To Me" - 01/11/11 01:34 AM

Absolutely amazing TV show about deception detection (lies). Tonight is the 2nd season two-hour premiere. Yippee! Does anyone else like it?
Posted by: greene

Re: "Lie To Me" - 01/11/11 02:45 AM

Watching a we type! It is one of the few shows I seem to be enjoying at the moment. Its different.

Re: "Lie To Me" - 01/11/11 02:47 AM

That was supposed to be 'watching it as we type'. That is what happens when I don't proofread.

Re: "Lie To Me" - 01/11/11 02:56 PM

Summary: Dr. Cal Lightman (Tim Roth) and his colleagues in The Lightman Group accept assignments from third parties (commonly local and federal law enforcement), and assist in investigations, reaching the truth through applied psychology: interpreting microexpressions, through the Facial Action Coding System, and body language.

The show is different because it's based on the real-life scientific discoveries of Paul Ekman. Actors must learn to act differently so their facial expressions reflect reality - not acting. Fascinating.

Do you know when someone is lying to you?
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: "Lie To Me" - 01/11/11 07:51 PM

When I watch murder mystery drama..Midsommer Murders and Rebus I sense the double bluff in a plot and see the actor going along with that double bluff.Morse was always more clever...but if I haveread an author then watch a drama based on the authors genre then I see the "lie"
Agatha Christie is not as sophisticated as modern drama but I still enjoy watching Miss Marple .Some of the time its the stage set and scenery I enjoy .I also like theatre stage sets...
Scandanavian murder mystery is too clever for me..comes from a whole different stable.
Posted by: jabber

Re: "Lie To Me" - 01/11/11 08:24 PM

Sorry. Don't read murder mysteries but do know some authors'
enjoy writing manuscripts where one thread can have double meaning. Been there. Done that.
Posted by: Lola

Re: "Lie To Me" - 01/11/11 08:45 PM

I love Tim Roth. He was good in "Legend of 1900" but, I like him better when he is nasty like in "Rob Roy" and "Pulp Fiction".

Is "Lie to Me" a made-for-TV-movie over there? I don't think we have it here.

Quote:
Do you know when someone is lying to you?

Yes. I cross examine people for a living. smile

Re: "Lie To Me" - 01/11/11 09:27 PM

Lola, "Lie to Me" is a TV series on Fox in its second season. Tim Roth is nasty and nice in this. He's great at nasty - part of Cal's character. It's nice to see him back at work. I hope it goes into a 3rd season. I won't lie to you, Lola.

Mountain Ash, this series is based on Paul Ekman's book based on 20 years he spent living in some jungle with native people studying their facial expressions and body language. I keep meaning to read his book, but in an interview he said the series does in each episode what took him 20 years to write about in one book.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: "Lie To Me" - 01/12/11 12:15 PM

I love the show LIE TO ME, and would not miss it. Another one that's good is CASTLE about an author of thrillers, but THE CLOSER has been and still is my favorite.

Re: "Lie To Me" - 01/13/11 12:04 AM

I love CASTLE and THE CLOSER, too, Chatty. I love them better on DVDs from the library with no commercials. The writers on all of these shows are amazing.

Re: "Lie To Me" - 01/13/11 01:09 AM

Forgot to mention that the DVDs have commentaries and interviews that are interesting and entertaining.

Re: "Lie To Me" - 01/14/11 01:30 PM

I have got to find this show, LIE TO ME. If you gals like it,
I bet I would too.

Re: "Lie To Me" - 01/15/11 02:31 PM

Is this the same FOX network where Beck & O'Reilly hang out or
a different station all together? I've been looking for this
show since ya'all mentioned it!

Re: "Lie To Me" - 01/15/11 09:38 PM

No, Jabber. You're thinking of Fox News Channel - channel 28 where I live. They keeping changing channel names here in Florida. This is Fox Broadcasting Company - channel 3 where I live.

Try asking google, "what channel is lie to me on in new york on whatever you have (direct tv, dish, comcast - whatever). You might also consider your local library and start with Season One, Disc One.

You have to find it!

Re: "Lie To Me" - 01/17/11 01:50 PM

I googled it before I came in here, today. I could've used that
guy these past 5 years. It looks as he reads body language
rather well. We have Dish and I can always copy it, if it's on
late at night. That network is Channel 29 on the dish, in this part of the country. Thanks for the heads-up!
Posted by: DonnaJ

Re: "Lie To Me" - 01/17/11 04:20 PM

I like that show, too. Good to have a show with a different premise, although "The Closer" is still my favorite.

Re: "Lie To Me" - 01/17/11 07:42 PM

Yay, Jabber. I could have used a guy like that, too. A new "Lie to Me" is on at 9:oo tonight.

I love "The Closer" too, DonnaJ.
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: "Lie To Me" - 01/18/11 06:52 PM

I've just staerted watching The Closer and am enjoying it, too. Did any of you catch Harry's Law last night?

I'm a huge Kathy Bates fan, so I watched it and hope it is a success for NBC. So far, so good, according to the overnight ratings: Harry's Law a Ratings Winner for NBC

Re: "Lie To Me" - 01/19/11 02:54 PM

Anne,
I think Kathy Bates is a good actress too. Love watching her.

Re: "Lie To Me" - 01/19/11 04:51 PM

I saw Harry's Law not knowing what to expect and was extremely happy with the show. Great storyline, great writers, and great actors.

Jabber, did you see Lie to Me?

Re: "Lie To Me" - 01/20/11 02:56 PM

Saundra,
Not yet. But I'm looking for it. Will let you know when I succeed.

Re: "Lie To Me" - 01/22/11 07:39 PM

paulekman.com is the blog written by Dr. Paul Ekman whose science adn book "Lie To Me" is based on. Among other things, he reviews each show discussing the meaning.

Re: "Lie To Me" - 01/22/11 07:42 PM

Why didn't the blog name show up in blue so people can click on it? I didn't need the www when I entered it into the thingy I use to find sites (not google).

Re: "Lie To Me" - 01/27/11 08:54 PM

Saundra,
I was looking for this thread the other day and didn't find it.
Yes. I found "Lie To Me"; it's on Fox, Monday's at 9 p.m. I watched it last week and loved it. What a great show. I told
my cousin about it and she's watching it too, now. Thanks for
telling us about it.

Re: "Lie To Me" - 01/29/11 02:24 PM

O'Reilly has a contributing professional who points out body
language of various subjects within targeted discussions.
All parts of a person apparently speak louder than words. Interesting to note!
Posted by: yonuh

Re: "Lie To Me" - 01/29/11 03:09 PM

I just started watching Harry's Law and love it and Kathy Bates. Her character is great. I just wish it wasn't on so late!

Re: "Lie To Me" - 01/30/11 03:08 PM

yonuh,
Use the DVR or VCR, whatever. I don't stay up later either.
But play stuff back the next day.

Re: "Lie To Me" - 01/31/11 01:48 PM

I like Kathy Bates, but never heard of Harry's Law. Will have to
check into that show, too.

Re: "Lie To Me" - 01/31/11 05:11 PM

I haven't seen the show yet, but the advertisements look interesting.

Re: "Lie To Me" - 01/31/11 08:20 PM

It's a goodie, greene. Better check it out!

Re: "Lie To Me" - 01/31/11 11:05 PM

Tonight is the season Finale of Lie to Me. What will I do at 9PM on Monday nights until Season 4 begins?

My library is no longer buying TV shows unless they are on Showtme or HBO. I'll have to stay up for 10PM shows I like (Harry's Law) or never see them.

Re: "Lie To Me" - 02/01/11 05:27 AM

Quote:
What will I do at 9PM on Monday nights until Season 4 begins?

My library is no longer buying TV shows unless they are on Showtme or HBO. I'll have to stay up for 10PM shows I like (Harry's Law) or never see them.

Or you could record them while you are NOT staying up to watch. Then watch them at your convenience. That's what I do...

Re: "Lie To Me" - 02/02/11 10:22 PM

I don't have recordig equipment, Anne.

Re: "Lie To Me" - 02/02/11 11:27 PM

Hi Saundra,

Sorry about that. We've had a digital video recorder that comes packaged with our cable service for the past five years, and since we can't get TV reception without either subscribing to cable or DISH service, the ability to record shows has just become something I figured everyone could do.
Posted by: yonuh

Re: "Lie To Me" - 02/03/11 01:54 AM

We don't have cable and we don't have a recording device, either. When our VCR died a couple of years ago, we decided not to replace it. We bought an inexpensive DVD player instead. There are times I wish we had bought another recorder. Now, we just can't justify the expense of buying one as it's more a luxury than a necessity.