British Television

Posted by: Josie

British Television - 10/22/09 07:49 PM

Oct 15, 2009 From Josie :

Lola: I received the entire collection of "Keeping Up Appearances" for Christmas and adore the character of Hyacinth Bucket. I even have the Hyacinth Bucket's "Book of Etiquette for the Socially Less Fortunate." hahaha

Since my husband lived for several years in the UK, our home is solid on the BBC for excellent coverage of international news. He loves "The Black Adder" while I gravitate toward things like Masterpiece Mystery. Kenneth Branagh certainly deserved those awards for "Wallander."

Over on the new Books-Movies-TV section, I'd love to hear what is popular these days on British TV.....

Re: British Television - 10/22/09 07:50 PM

Oct 15, 2009 By Lola:

"I love Hyacinth! Does'nt she just top it all? She and her Royal Doulton with the periwinkles. LOL!"

Re: British Television - 10/22/09 07:51 PM

Oct 15, 2009 by Josie

"Whenever the Vicar sees Hyacinth and runs for the hills, I'm in stitches. And husband Richard with his priceless expressions.....lol...

Don't tell anyone, but my own husband thinks I dress just like Hyacinth: same coordinated outfits, the hats, the pearls (I even wear pearls with tee shirts.) And some of my own relatives are duplicates of Daisy and Onslow. Unlike Hyacinth though, I have NO desire to hang out with the Donald Trumps of the world. I love the simple life far too much!"

Re: British Television - 10/22/09 07:52 PM

Oct 15, 2009 by Eagle Heart

"We're huge fans of some of the British shows - Waiting for God being top of the list. We also watch Keeping Up Appearances, but sometimes I find it more stressful than entertaining, LOL!

Josie, I love your idea of adding TV & movies to the forum. There have been times when I wish I had somewhere to go to talk about stuff going on in various shows, but don't have anywhere to go. One problem we have here in Canada is that some of our soaps (esp Young and Restless) air a day earlier than in the US, so I can never talk about what just happened, because it hasn't happened yet in the US and I don't want to spoil it for anyone."

Re: British Television - 10/22/09 07:53 PM

Oct 15, 2009 by jawjaw

"OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGOSH! I cannot believe I have found other fans of Hyacinth on here! Do you not just LOVE that show? Here are my favs---as you can see from the listing I'm totally hooked on British TV. LOVE IT!"

Keeping Up Appearances
As Time Goes By
Masterpiece Theater - any of them!
CSI: ANY TOWN
Criminal Minds
Law & Order
Law & Order: CI
Law & Order: SV
NCIS
Castle
Dancing with the Stars
Biggest Loser

Re: British Television - 10/22/09 07:54 PM

Oct 15, 2009 by Anne327

"This will sound odd, but if I feel crummy about my life I just turn on the Jerry Springer show....all that fighting, and all on-camera in front of millions.....it reminds me how fortunate I am to not have created such situations for myself.

Jawjaw, those British comedies are hilarious. With 7 PBS stations to choose from, plenty of good ones to watch. Also NCIS is adding a new location.

Lola, the first time I saw Hyacinth she was trying to convince someone her last name is Bouquet, and not Bucket. She's hilarious."

Re: British Television - 10/22/09 07:56 PM

Oct 15, 2009 by Chatty Lady

"I adore Hyacinth and all her wild and wacky family, our Rose, Daisy and Onslow, Daddy and of course Bruce and Violet, and poor Elizabeth her next door neighbor... I won't even go out to dinner on the weekend until her show is over. I love the outfits she wears, all matched from head to toe. The faces she makes are hilarious especially when someone calls her on her white, slim line phone, to ask about Chinese take-away.

I have always watched Criminal Minds and like it and the newer Castle show, his being a writer and all. Monk is into his last season before going off the air, I will miss Monks show.

Heads up, there is a new show starting on the comedy channel on October 22nd. at 9:00 p.m. Pacific time. Make a note of it, it's simply called:
THE JEFF DUNHAM SHOW. He is a ventraliquist/puppeteer and his puppets look so real is amazing, and he is one of the funniest comedians I have ever seen and you will die laughing.

MY favorite of course, no surprise to anyone, is HGTV, the Food/Cooking Channel..."

Re: British Television - 10/22/09 08:09 PM

Oct 16, 2009 by Lola

Quote by Anne327: "Lola, the first time I saw Hyacinth she was trying to convince someone her last name is Bouquet, and not Bucket. She's hilarious."

Response by Lola:

"Riiiing, riiiing...

"The Booooouquet residence...the lady of the house speaking..."

And, it always seems one of the two: a Chinese restaurant customer or Sheridan with updates on his activities and Tarquin.

Or, her other famous line when her neighbour, Elizabeth, is in her house and the phone rings:

"It's my sister Violet who is married to an accountant and lives...and a pony". Now that always cracks me up!

Love, love, love Monk! And...Scrubs!"

Re: British Television - 10/22/09 08:10 PM

Oct 16, 2009 by Mountain Ash

"Hyacinth
so often I am reminded of her snobbish ways in every day life.Yesterday a woman from church told me at a store she was going to "Down south to her daughter.. detatched house.. private school lovely place"

so the very observant writers must have antena working..
Life mirrors art or visa versa"

Re: British Television - 10/22/09 08:11 PM

Oct 16, 2009 by Eagle Heart

"Lola, we're big Monk fans too!"

Re: British Television - 10/22/09 08:12 PM

Oct 16, 2009 by Dee

"I never realized how popular BBC is in this country. Cool.

My favorite Brit shows:

Keeping Up Appearances
Are You Being Served
*The Victor of Dibly (my all-time favorite)
Waiting for God
Faulty Towers (they don't show that anymore"

Re: British Television - 10/22/09 08:13 PM

Oct 16, 2009 by Anne327

"I'm sure everybody here is familiar with Monty Python? If not, you might give it a try. Not on TV but is on DVD....no commercial interruptions.

After the converter box and June 12th, I now get 7 PBS stations with all the great British comedies. Also they show alot of NOVA science specials. And......what would TV be if it weren't for the "Red Green Show"? Mr. Green gives a whole new meaning to "using duct tape" at the ol' Possum Lodge. His famous line is, "If the women don't find you handsome, make sure they find you handy". He is always building things that don't work at all. They fall apart when his back is turned and he appears to be oblivious....and his nephew Harold is a riot! Nothing dirty-minded on this show, but it's on kinda late here....10pm on weeknights. It's a must on any night B4 a canceled early morning client."

Re: British Television - 10/22/09 08:15 PM

Oct 19, 2009 by Mountain Ash

"O yes Monty Python.
His sketch where three men make statements anout height and class..nothingis better"

Re: British Television - 10/22/09 08:15 PM

Oct 19, 2009 by Anne327

"Don't remember that right now, have to re-watch the DVD. All that comes to mind is Blazing Saddles today....."

Re: British Television - 10/22/09 08:16 PM

Oct 19, 2009 by Lola

"Yes, MA. That one was a classic. I love Morecombe and Wise, as well."

Re: British Television - 10/22/09 08:18 PM

Oct 19. 2009 by Chatty Lady

"I think Blazing Saddles was one of the stupidest wastes of money movies ever made. Thats odd too because Mel Brooks was a comedic genius."

Re: British Television - 10/22/09 08:19 PM

Oct 19, 2009 by Anne327

"Not everyone likes Bean-Blast humor. I do sometimes. I can see why others would not."

Re: British Television - 10/22/09 08:36 PM

Although I DID find the "round-the-campfire-bean-song" quite funny, that was about it for me. But my husband and some of his buddies find Blazing Saddles and almost anything by Mel Brooks funny. Hubby also goes for all things Monty Python, Black Adder, Benny Hill, Mr. Bean and Red Dwarf.

I much prefer Hyacinth's antics and a VERY occasional dose of "Coupling" in the realm of comedy.

For mysteries, I like the old Sherlock Holmes movies; I am very much looking forward to the new Guy Ritchie Holmes-movie starring Robert Downey.

While "Murder She Wrote" is not really English, the multi-award-winning Angela Lansbury made it one of the best mystery shows on American TV and around the world in my opinion. To this very day I catch an episode whenever I see one scheduled to air.
Posted by: Saundra

Re: British Television - 10/23/09 01:18 AM

I love the BBC and BBC America movies I've gotten from the library.

The BBC America series JEKYL is the absolute very best I've seen, ever.

My likes are very different from yours.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: British Television - 10/23/09 01:41 PM

I loved Blazin' Saddles. I thought it was hilarious.

Josie, which Sherlock Holmes do you like? Which actor, I mean. I love those. They used to come on every Sunday and I would prepare for them and throw everybody out of the house so I could have my Sunday British Mystery day. Jeremy Brett was my favorite.

If you haven't seen, "Keeping Mum," be sure and get it. I laughed so much at this movie and have rented it on more than one occasion. Here is a link to read about it. To me, it is hilarious!

Keeping Mum

The JEKYL ... is it a documentary?

Oh and Murder She Wrote....I could watch that over and over and over and over....I love it!
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: British Television - 10/23/09 03:03 PM

Morse and Midsommer Murders..and Agatha Christie's Miss Marple.
the funniest comedy for me was Father Ted which touched my funny bone.
I like Coast..where our coastline is shown bit by bit..and any history programme.
Many evenings our TV is never turned on.

Re: British Television - 10/23/09 03:11 PM

Oh I've seen every episode of Midsommer Murders and Miss Marple. I would watch them over and over if I had the sets. LOVE THEM!

What about Creatures Great and Small? Is that any good? I've never rented it.

I have rented the Duchess of Duke (I think?) Street and really enjoyed that series.

How could we not mention Poirot? I loveeeee those! I've seen them all.

Re: British Television - 10/23/09 03:25 PM

Originally Posted By: jawjaw
I loved Blazin' Saddles. I thought it was hilarious.

Josie, which Sherlock Holmes do you like? Which actor, I mean. I love those. They used to come on every Sunday and I would prepare for them and throw everybody out of the house so I could have my Sunday British Mystery day. Jeremy Brett was my favorite.

If you haven't seen, "Keeping Mum," be sure and get it. I laughed so much at this movie and have rented it on more than one occasion. Here is a link to read about it. To me, it is hilarious!

Keeping Mum

The JEKYL ... is it a documentary?

Oh and Murder She Wrote....I could watch that over and over and over and over....I love it!

The pairing of Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce was perfection imo. I love their Holmes/Watson interaction together.....

I think JEKYL was a British miniseries. Although I am not familiar with it, here is the Amazon description:

Amazon.com
One of the most novel interpretations of Robert Louis Stevenson's classic "Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde," this BBC TV mini-series offers a terrific performance from James Nesbitt as Tom Jackman, a modern-day descendant of Stevenson's scientist hero who discovers that he shares his ancestor's penchant for transforming into a more animalistic alter ego. While Mr. Hyde (also played by Nesbitt) is physically less of the monster than previously portrayed in movie adaptations (his actions speak a different story), he's also cunning, id-driven version of Jackman, and soon discovers that he's the target of a shadowy organization out to discover the secret behind the transformation for its own nefarious purposes. Part Hammer-style horror-thriller, part X-Files conspiracy fiction, and part solid drama (the relationship between Jackman/Hyde and his wife, played by Gina Bellman, gives the fantastic storylines a basis in reality, though his flirtations with sultry assistant Michelle Ryan of Bionic Woman tip more towards heavy-breathing pulp), Jekyll is terrific fun from executive producer Stephen Moffat (Coupling, Doctor Who), who understands how to deliver engaging science fiction for a wide audience. The two-DVD set includes uncut versions of all six episodes, commentaries by Moffat and members of the cast and crew (including Bellman and Moffat's wife and co-executive producer, writer Beryl Vertue), as well as two featurettes, including a 45-minute look at the making of the series. -- Paul Gaita

Product Description
Part conspiracy thriller, part comic horror, Steven Moffat's extraordinary retelling of this Robert Louis Stevenson classic takes the ultimate tale of inner conflict to unforgettable new heights. It is 2007 and there's a new Dr. Jekyll with an old problem - Mr. Hyde. But the pair have a deal - a body share - and an impossible life is somehow lived. With all the resources of modern technology, and the best surveillance hardware, Jekyll is determined to keep his dangerous alter ego in check by doing a deal with his own devil. What neither of them know is that an ancient organization with limitless wealth and power is monitoring their every move, and a plan over a century in the making is coming to fruition. The return of Dr Jekyll is no accident...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QXDEH2?tag=imdb-adbox

Regarding "Keeping Mum," I've never seen it but it gets rave reviews for acting and being truly funny. Maybe I can rent a couple episodes from Blockbuster or the local library.....

Re: British Television - 10/23/09 03:39 PM

It's not an episode, Keeping Mum, it is a movie. And it does have some greats in there. Patrick Swayze, god love him, Maggie Smith, who is absolutely tops in my book, and Mr. Bean, whatever his name is...I don't particularly care for him, but he is excellent in this movie.

Thanks for the info on the Jekyl thing.

Re: British Television - 10/26/09 06:57 PM

Thanks for the clarification, jawjaw. My husband is a real fan of Rowan Atkinson, so I should put it on my list of things to rent for us. Thanks again for the recommendation.

Re: British Television - 11/10/09 06:44 PM

To Lola: Today I read your post about being home with the sniffles and having the chance to watch "black and white shows" on the telly. Is there one station devoted exclusively to classic black and white movies or old TV shows?

I'd love to hear more about some of the TV stations you have and the type of programming which airs.

Do you have a link to a "TV Guide" which describes what is on TV each day?

For TV programming here in the States, check out www.tvguide.com

PS: Here's wishing you a speedy recovery!
Posted by: Lola

Re: British Television - 11/10/09 10:43 PM

Josie, you can check out British TV schedule on www.tvguide.co.uk

Five usually have the b/w films in the afternoons but, they did not have anything worth watching today so I caught up with two documentaries which were shown on BBC previously by way of BBCiPlayer. I hook up my computer to my TV so I get to watch the shows on wide screen.

www.bbc.co.uk

One of the documentaries I watched was "Digging Up the Dead" by former Minister Michael Portillo. It's about Spain's exhumation of those killed during the Franco wars.

The other was "History of Christianity - Part 1".

Then, I had a loooong nap and woke up with a stuffy nose and a headcold! I'm slightly feverish but, no joint pains anymore. Thanks for the wishes.

Re: British Television - 11/11/09 05:16 PM

I'm happy to hear the joint pains are gone. Sounds like full recovery is almost here, thank God.

I was so excited reading the variety of programming you have where you live. Thank you for the links! When my husband lived in the U.K. back in the eighties, he said the programming seemed a bit limited, but in some ways was far more sophisticated than USA TV.

He LOVES the show "Top Gear" and on weekends he watches several episodes at a time. After work, he picks up BBC news on his car satellite radio, which he says has so much more extensive coverage of world affairs than what we get over here. (American news loves to talk about itself a lot. lol)

I checked out our BBC TV station tonight and at 8pm a show called "Ramsey Revisited" is airing an episode about "The Glass House Restaurant." Is this a restaurant review show? If so, I'd LOVE to see what different foods are served in restaurants over there. (I love travel shows to "see inside" shops, houses, restaurants, etc.)

At 9pm over here, "Mary Queen of Shops" will air on BBC America. I suspect that is about retail stores. hahaha

Then of course at 10pm will come the BBC World News America, which our US news people could take a lesson from in terms of accuracy and quality in my opinion.

Re: British Television - 11/11/09 09:30 PM

"Ramsey Revisited" is a show by Gordon Ramsey, a celeb chef over here...a good one. The show is a sequel to a previous one where he dropped in on restaurants to troubleshoot management and food service then, helps turn the business around. So, "...Revisited" would be after a period to check out whether these venues are still up to par. Gordon Ramsey swears a loooooot!!!

Yep. The UK used to have only four TV channels at one time. The BBC (no commercials) and two other independent stations. The BBC is a hardhitter and has no choice but to deliver because the public will hold them accountable. BBC funding is greatly appropriated from our TV Licence fees.

Re: British Television - 11/12/09 08:35 PM

Thanks for the heads up on Gordon Ramsey ....Tonight the BBC station will air a show on "Super Botox Me," obviously about cosmetic surgery, to be followed by a debut show examining mammals. I think unlike us, other mammals prefer to age naturally and skip the narcissism. lol

I'll probably end up watching the b&w movie classic, "Dial M for Murder." Alfred Hitchcock directed this 1954 version of the Broadway hit about a tennis pro (Ray Milland) who plots to kill his wife.(Grace Kelly)

TV and movies have come a long way in technical advancement, but some of the old movie classics, like those of Hitchcock, simply cannot be beat in my opinion.

I don't know if you remember actor James Mason, but he is one of my favorite actors, along with Gregory Peck, Anthony Hopkins and James Stewart. Some of the very best are now long gone. Thank God their movies are still with us.

Re: British Television - 11/12/09 09:44 PM

James Mason? Yep, sure do.

I love old films and detest remakes because only a few come close to the original. "The Thomas Crown Affair" re-make was a good one though.

Oh, yeees. Alfred Hitchcock. Trying to spot him in a cameo role in his films can be very distracting though. LOL!

Re: British Television - 11/13/09 07:39 PM

I remember when James Mason and Sue Lyon did "Lolita." There was soooooooooo much controversy surrounding that film, yet today people would barely yawn. lol

And there were a few remakes of that film too. As you say, nothing comes close to the original.

My favorite "dramatic" couple from your neck of the woods was Hampstead-London England born Elizabeth Taylor (to American parents) and Wales-born Richard Burton. As I was growing up, they kept the tabloid press spinning with their individual and couple escapades. lol I have not seen anything like them since.

I miss Burton. His voice was so very memorable.....

Re: British Television - 11/13/09 07:43 PM

Last night was a double-header...Dial M for Murder was one, followed by Rear Window (Jimmy Stewart), two of my favs. I recorded them on this new whatever-it-is-called thang that came with Directv...

I love the old movies on Turner Classic Movies and watch them a LOT! I also love food shows but I cannot stand Gordon Ramsey. He is a hot-head and foul-mouthed which to me, ruins the show. Nope, I channel it whenever I see him on. But honestly? That is probably the ONLY show on BBC that I don't like.
Posted by: Dianne

Re: British Television - 11/14/09 12:06 AM

Oh geesh...what is the name of the one where all of her neighbors and even the clergy run when they see her coming? Oh yeah, Keeping Up Appearances. I was hooked on that and I've learned so much from You Are What You Eat. Kind of gross sometimes but educational.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: British Television - 11/14/09 12:46 AM

The best of the cooking show which really shows the Chefs talents is called CHOPPED. I recommend it for many reasons, education, amusement and it never ceases to amaze me.

The other good one for food shows is TOP CHEF where a dozen newbie cooks are trying to win the competition of being named TOP CHEF and win all the amazing prizes. I never miss either show.

Re: British Television - 11/16/09 08:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Dianne
Oh geesh...what is the name of the one where all of her neighbors and even the clergy run when they see her coming? Oh yeah, Keeping Up Appearances. I was hooked on that and I've learned so much from You Are What You Eat. Kind of gross sometimes but educational.

I LOVE "Keeping Up Appearances" starring Patricia Routledge as "Hyacinth Bucket." Each character makes me laugh til my sides split!

Re: British Television - 11/16/09 08:14 PM

Originally Posted By: jawjaw
Last night was a double-header...Dial M for Murder was one, followed by Rear Window (Jimmy Stewart), two of my favs. I recorded them on this new whatever-it-is-called thang that came with Directv...

I love the old movies on Turner Classic Movies and watch them a LOT! I also love food shows but I cannot stand Gordon Ramsey. He is a hot-head and foul-mouthed which to me, ruins the show. Nope, I channel it whenever I see him on. But honestly? That is probably the ONLY show on BBC that I don't like.

"Rear Window" is one of my favorites too, as well as "To Kill a Mockingbird." Our local theatre showed Mockingbird on the big screen a few years ago and my young adult son took me. He had studied the film in college, but for me it was two generations coming together to appreciate a classic film with excellent storytelling and acting. I'll never forget that experience.

I wish there were more cable stations like TCM.

Re: British Television - 11/16/09 08:17 PM

Originally Posted By: chatty lady
The best of the cooking show which really shows the Chefs talents is called CHOPPED. I recommend it for many reasons, education, amusement and it never ceases to amaze me.

The other good one for food shows is TOP CHEF where a dozen newbie cooks are trying to win the competition of being named TOP CHEF and win all the amazing prizes. I never miss either show.

I'm not familiar with "Chopped." But whenever Paula Deen is on the Food Network, I end up smiling from ear to ear as she flies from one recipe to another, making everything look so easy. She is quite the ebullient spirit!

Re: British Television - 01/02/10 05:54 PM

Saturday January 2, 2010

I notice some fine British drama/acting on the tube tonight:

6:45pm ET BBC America Doctor Who: The End of Time Part One It's the Tenth Doctor's final journey - but his nemesis, The Master, has been reborn. With both determined to cheat death, they battle from London to the mysterious Immortality Gate. A terrible shadow falls across the Universe as great danger approaches. 75 min.

8:30pm ET BBC America Doctor Who: The End of Time Part 2 The Doctor faces the end of his life as the Master's plans hurtle out of control. With an ancient trap closing around the Earth, the Doctor and Wilf must fight alone. But sacrifices must be made, and the deadly prophecy warns: "He will knock four times." 90 min.

8pm ET TCM Lolita (1962) A classic Stanley Kubrick film. Humbert Humbert (James Mason), a divorced British professor of French literature, travels to small-town America for a teaching position. He allows himself to be swept into a relationship with Charlotte Haze (Shelley Winters), his widowed and sexually famished landlady, whom he marries in order that he might pursue the woman's 14-year-old flirtatious daughter, Lolita (Sue Lyon), with whom he has fallen hopelessly in love. (Peter Sellers has a small role)

10pm ET BBC America Demons: They Bite The series opens as an ordinary teen (Christian Cooke) learns a shocking family secret: His great-great-grandfather was legendary vampire hunter Abraham Van Helsing. Luke Rutherford's world is thrown upside down when he learns this startling revelation about himself. With the help of his godfather and best friend, Luke must now fight the coldest of cold wars: against the undead.

Re: British Television - 01/09/10 11:03 PM

Saturday January 9, 2010

On BBC America tonight: 9pm ET Demons: The Whole Enchilada Luke embarks on his first mission as a demon hunter: rescuing young children from the grips of a 2000-year-old monster named Gilgamel, who masquerades as an angel.

Sounds scary but hopefully the outcome will be good!