spring cleaning?

Posted by: Dotsie

spring cleaning? - 04/03/06 02:40 AM

Does anyone still spring clean? I haven't done it in years, but I need to. I can't seem to find the time. Darn.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: spring cleaning? - 04/03/06 03:14 AM

I clean by bits and pieces, a dusting here, a scrub there and maybe even something new and cheery like some flowers but I wouldn't call it Spring cleaning exactly...

[ April 02, 2006, 08:15 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]
Posted by: Songbird

Re: spring cleaning? - 04/03/06 08:31 PM

I just washed all my curtains. Now I need to wash all the blinds.

I do need to do a little at a time, due to my many tasks!!
Posted by: Tami

Re: spring cleaning? - 04/03/06 08:32 PM

I'm with you Chatty! I've got a couple of routines I go through every year because the are have to do's. Like washing curtains or shaking out drapes and washing the windows at the same time. We use a woood stove during the cold months so the kitchen/dining room where it's at gets the walls and ceiling washed every spring. That's the only real spring cleaning I do. Everything else gets done in bits and pieces. I probably can find the time to do it but I'd rather be outside tinkering around once the weather changes.

Tami
Posted by: Songbird

Re: spring cleaning? - 04/03/06 08:32 PM

For me, Spring brings the need and motivation to deep clean and tackle some "not every day" chores.

Re: spring cleaning? - 04/03/06 11:34 PM

I love the outdoor chores, but can't stand the ones I have to do indoors. Especailly once the weather changes...and it's changing!
Posted by: flossie

Re: spring cleaning? - 04/04/06 01:37 AM

I've been going through my clothing having a good sort out, I was thinking this is like having a spring clean.....but for me it's autumn!!
Posted by: Daisygirl

Re: spring cleaning? - 04/04/06 05:35 AM

I took a couple of vacation days for spring cleaning, but not getting too much accomplished. I have been sorting clothes and plan to make a stop at the Goodwill tomorrow. If I can get the windows washed, then I will be happy.

Daisygirl
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: spring cleaning? - 04/18/06 10:30 PM

As a child spring cleaning was the big event.We had a sweep to clean the chimney.Everything that could be moved in the room was moved.large items covered with sheets.On that day we had school lunches and by home time the work was completed.Clean curtains sparking windows and carpets beaten on the line outside.
Blankets were washed and the bedrooms had the same treatment.Another school meal!
Finally the kitchen bathrooms had the shoo dust and grime.
Only then did we all relax....until next time.

Early in my marriage I did my own version until I realised with duvets vacumn cleaners and modern products my home was up to my standard without the havoc I remember.I change curtain spring and autumn our climate suits thjis and everything is done week to week.
However my memories of the epic cleaning are kind.Mother and Granny enjoyed weilding the feather duster and carpet beater...
Mountain Ash
Posted by: Sherri

Re: spring cleaning? - 04/18/06 11:10 PM

I am going through and finally switching clothing around. I'm going to freecycle some, and put the rest away and then go through winter clothes when it's time to get those out. Trouble is? What size should I keep? LOL

Sherri
Posted by: Dianne

Re: spring cleaning? - 04/19/06 12:13 AM

Mine was Winter Cleaning this year since we were moving. How did we collect so much stuff? I gave away nine 55 gallon trash bags of clothes! Why couldn't I do it before? I forced myself to do it and it felt so good.

We put things no longer needed for the trash men and the carpenters in our neighborhood got them before the trash came. We saw a truck with Sammie's old bird cage in the back, going down the road. It was her outdoor cage and all rusted.

My mother was such a neat freak we never needed to spring clean. We weren't even allowed to wear shoes in the house. It was miserable.
Posted by: LSmith5434

Re: spring cleaning? - 04/19/06 02:09 AM

I'm so happy that I did Spring and Winter cleaning now that I'm getting this place ready to sell after living here for 35 years.
It's just tough when I come upon something that has memories for me, and I have to make the hard decision of rather to toss it or keep it.
I'm like you Dianne.....I can't believe the clothes and shoes that I've got ready to give away. I have three closets full!!!
Glad they're all to big for me now.
Oh well, I will see the light at the end of the tunnel one of these days.
It's so nice here today that I'm washing down deck furniture and tying up my climbing plants.
Lynne

Re: spring cleaning? - 04/19/06 03:34 AM

I've found that if you keep your home tidy all year long there is no reason to do any heavy cleaning at a certain part of the year. I do have drapes cleaned once a year but do it sometimes in winter, summer or fall, no special time. I bought leather furniture so thats a wipe down and have no carpeting except for smaller throw rugs that can be washed and you wouldn't believe the time and money that has saved me. I am not a horder so clothes, shoes etc. except the ones I wear are not laying around....
Sherri keep the clothes that fit now, get rid of the fat clothes because as long as there around its to easy to let the weight control slip thinking oh well, still have my fat clothes....

[ April 18, 2006, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]
Posted by: Sherri

Re: spring cleaning? - 04/19/06 03:43 AM

The fat clothes are going, anything over 14 is being given away! I resisted doing this for nearly three years! Duh!!!
Posted by: Dianne

Re: spring cleaning? - 04/19/06 08:04 PM

With our flat being so small, I don't have a choice but to keep it organized. My main chore is cleaning up the messes Sammie makes! [Eek!]

We're going to the annual conference in FL this month and all of my Summer clothes are still in TN. You know what that means--shopping! Oh darn.

David suggested that I take a flight to TN and get my clothes as it would be a lot cheaper. I ignored him. I found the cutest shoes. Can't wait to parade around in them.
Posted by: browser57

Re: spring cleaning? - 04/19/06 10:04 PM

We have just bought a condo and will be moving out of our rental of the past 2 years. So, my luck, I'll have to clean this place and since the new place was inhabitated by 2 cats and a dog - I'll be cleaning until Christmas....

That's OK with me - to finally able to unpack (most of my life has been locked in a storage unit for 2 years) I can't wait. I do see another la-a-pa-looza garage sale in my near future - uhg!

Re: spring cleaning? - 04/19/06 10:22 PM

browser, get in there and clean before you put anything in there. Then you should be fine.

I bet you're looking foreard to this.When's the move? You're staying in Michigan, right?
Posted by: browser57

Re: spring cleaning? - 04/20/06 12:29 AM

We will be able to take our time for a change. We will close on May 9 - but don't have to vacate our apt. until the end of May. Gives us plenty of time to clean both places.

We found a great detached condo on the 7th hole of a wonderful golf course - staying in Michigan for family - but would go south again in a heart beat. This is also close to some great parks (DH still talking in-line skating!!) I think this will be a good fit - although I had hoped to be on a sandy beach somewhere (there are wonderful beaches in MI) we just couldn't find one that wouldn't break the bank - now that we're retired - we have better things to do with our money besides paying the mortgage!!

Re: spring cleaning? - 04/22/06 06:38 PM

browser, I can see the two of you skating through the golf course. What a great place to do so.
Posted by: Old Knitter

Re: spring cleaning? - 06/07/06 06:25 PM

OK......this may sound strange....but I rely on the fly lady to clean my house. I love her! Go to www.flylady.com She will change your life. Once you sign up she sends you daily chores to do. Seriously, after a couple of weeks your house is clean all the time. My husband is pretty amused by this, but it works for me.

Holly
Posted by: Cookie

Re: spring cleaning? - 04/13/08 08:35 PM

Does anyone still drag outside their bed mattress's to air them out in the fresh sunshine? I remember my grandmother doing this every Spring and Fall.
Posted by: Louisa

Re: spring cleaning? - 04/13/08 09:49 PM

Good grief, no! It weighs so much, we could never get it out there. Plus we live in a condo. We turn it every so often and sometimes we take the bedding off and open the windows to air it a bit. That's about all you can do with a heavy queen size mattress.
Posted by: Sadie

Re: spring cleaning? - 04/14/08 02:26 AM

Oh, my goodness Cookie I don't think we could get that queen size bed down the the all my hubby and I without falling down the stair first, and then rolling over and over . I Have already pulled muscles in my back from lifting some rocks for the border for our garden .

I remember mother would hand the blankets and pillow out the window to air in the Spring , but know one does that here anymore at least around my neighborhood . Isn't that a thing of the past now ?. Like beating your carpet on the clothes line .

I do air out the bedroom when I clean in their and with the bedding .

Renee
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: spring cleaning? - 04/14/08 06:50 PM

We bought a new mattress about 2 weeks ago so it's due for the first rotation. Renee, I'm not dragging mine down the hall and stairs, either! It weighs over 100 lbs.

Re: spring cleaning? - 04/14/08 10:41 PM

Who says the mattress's have to be rotated anyway? Who made up that rule? I never rotate my King or Queen size mattress's and they are as solid and comfy as ever. I never remember my mother/father rotating our mattress's when growing up...
Posted by: Di

Re: spring cleaning? - 04/14/08 11:51 PM

After the Spring WINDS, we are so sick and can't think about cleaning! But we did a great thorough job BEFORE the winds when the kids were coming for that week. I told DH that now we only have ONE layer of crud, not three!!

Yep, spring clothes will come out soon. And, when we were all kids at home, each season Mom moved furniture around, change bedspreads/curtains etc. I still do that today.

I love those times of year!! Memories of Mom are so endearing.
Posted by: ladyjane

Re: spring cleaning? - 04/15/08 12:10 PM

We're in a king sized bed and I'd hate to think of dragging it down the hall and out the door! We just open the windows and let it air occasionally. We do, however, flip and rotate it about 4 times a year. I love the changing of the seasons especially when Spring comes....I tend to get the cleaning bug but due to such a hectic schedule I've been doing the cleaning, a corner at a time.
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: spring cleaning? - 04/16/08 06:31 AM

El Hub cleaned out the entire refrigerator today and no one even asked him. I think I'm going to faint.

Re: spring cleaning? - 04/16/08 10:31 PM

I guess there really is good in everyone. Bless his El Hubbo heart!!! LOL...
Posted by: Sadie

Re: spring cleaning? - 04/17/08 12:43 AM

Meredith,
We always turned our mattress , but this new one we don't have to turn over , but could reverse the headboard part . I think that is wondeful you hubby clean the fridge out , wish my hubbo would do that . This side by side is easy to clean and doesn't take much time though and have to do that again . Well with his back surgery I don't think he can do that now even if he tried .

Ladyjane we open the window and air the rooms out even in winter when I clean the rooms . and vacum everything . I have some dried Lavender that I use to put in my dryer for clothes and after so many times I use it to refresh the carpet on the floor it is suppose to be good for moths .

No carpet beetles this year.

Renee
Posted by: vbamother

Re: spring cleaning? - 05/29/08 02:03 PM

I didn't spring clean this year, but am doing "empty-nest" cleaning now that our youngest has graduated college and moved out of state (sigh). Am trying to down-size since we just don't have the need for so much "stuff" anymore. Have been pulling all kinds of junk out of the closets to send to Goodwill. It feels great to get rid of the clutter!
Posted by: Dancing Dolphin

Re: spring cleaning? - 05/29/08 03:03 PM

We're having a yard sale this weekend (along with about 20 other families in our area. I took down all the tins that were on my high kitchen shelves so I could sell them - - aack! There were so many spider webs and the dust was so thick! I'm going to have to put them out in the yard and spray them all off with a hose today.

K